• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What would you bid on a private listing?

• More than a public listing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
I have never understood why some sellers use private eBay listings (where you can not see, or even figure out, other bidding action). I have heard sellers say it protects the bidder privacy but don't buy that given the bidder name scramble. I have heard buyers say it is done to allow fake bids to up the price.
So buyers please respond to poll below and anyone feel free to comment.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
6 votes so far. Must be more opinions.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I have never understood why some sellers use private eBay listings (where you can not see, or even figure out, other bidding action). I have heard sellers say it protects the bidder privacy but don't buy that given the bidder name scramble. I have heard buyers say it is done to allow fake bids to up the price.
So buyers please respond to poll below and anyone feel free to comment.
I just voted and no reason why people want private listings. It's so stupid

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
My vote is, "Nothing, the shills always take it above my mental bid price before the end of auction."

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
My vote is, "Nothing, the shills always take it above my mental bid price before the end of auction."

That's why I bid using a snipe program. My [huge bargain] bid goes in at the last moment so the shills cannot create auction fever. If no one other than me is bidding, maybe I will get it. For a huge bargain.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I place my snipe and don't go back until it closes (assuming it's not already above my price). So, I don't care if there is shill bidding, etc. because my price is my price and it's not disclosed until the last moment.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good insight.

Last edited:

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I place my snipe and don't go back until it closes (assuming it's not already above my price). So, I don't care if there is shill bidding, etc. because my price is my price and it's not disclosed until the last moment.
Youre right that you won't pay more than your price but shill bids will result in you paying more than you legitimately could have (sorry for previous poor grammar).

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't usually bid on many auctions, but private listing or not, there is nothing really preventing shill bidding.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's why I bid using a snipe program. My [huge bargain] bid goes in at the last moment so the shills cannot create auction fever. If no one other than me is bidding, maybe I will get it. For a huge bargain.
That is the problem for me, and confuses how I should vote.

I ALWAYS snipe bid Ebay auctions. Win some, lose most.

I would try to snipe a private auction as any other public auction, but in the half dozen or so Private Auctions I was interested in, the (shill) bidding exceeded my highest bid price more than a day before end of auction. It would not matter if I used a snipe service or sniped it myself, because my snipe bid was rendered irrelevant a day or two before the end of auction by the bid "hype" created by the shills.

So, I would (snipe) bid on a Private Auction just as I would a Public Auction, but if a (shill) Private Auction always results in a sale price, above my snipe bid and days before end of auction, which is my experience, should I vote for "Same as a Public Auction" or should I vote for "would not bid on private auction" ?

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't usually bid on many auctions, but private listing or not, there is nothing really preventing shill bidding.
True, but it is much easier to recognize shill bidding in an open EBay auction than it is in a Private Auction.

Nevertheless, an EBay Private auction with more than about 30 bids is usually a sign of shilling, at least in my experience.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I've mentioned this before. It renders the feedback a lot less meaningful. It doesn't show what the feed back is for. Did 110 people have positive feedback selling baseball cards for $1.00 or were they for high end timeshares.
For example this is from: allseasonstravel (95)

iconPos_16x16.gif
Quick easy sale. Buyer: d***d ( 32
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)
During past month
-- -- Private
iconPos_16x16.gif
great seller Buyer: 6***u ( 518
iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif
)
During past month
-- -- Private
iconPos_16x16.gif
Smooth transaction, highly recommended ! Buyer: b***o ( 2158
iconRedStar_25x25.gif
)
During past 6 months
-- -- Private
iconPos_16x16.gif
Very good communication good buy ! +++++ Buyer: r***m ( 91
iconBlueStar_25x25.gif
)
During past 6 months
-- -- Private
iconPos_16x16.gif
Very professional! Highly recommend! All perfect A+++++! Thanks!!!! Buyer: e***d ( 687
iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif
)
During past 6 mont

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
iconPos_16x16.gif
Very professional! Highly recommend! All perfect A+++++! Thanks!!!! Buyer: e***d ( 687
iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif
)
During past 6 mont

True or not true,

That kind of "too perfect" recommendation would have me move on to another auction.

A buyer participates in a Private Auction, then they reveal their non-Private, coded Public Auction name. Yeah, right.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
True or not true,

That kind of "too perfect" recommendation would have me move on to another auction.

A buyer participates in a Private Auction, then they reveal their non-Private, coded Public Auction name. Yeah, right.
I think the coded name is inserted automatically on all feedback by eBay.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
To be honest, it doesn't bother me much. I just bid as normal, usually via a snipe bid if it's anything of size.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we agree that market price is the price at which buyers and sellers agree to trade in an open market at a particular time......

Auctions are a way to get a large number of buyers in the same room to get something sold at the market price quickly. A shill cant push something higher that what a legitimate buyer will pay, neither can a sniper get something for less than its market value because, by definition the ending price of a well promoted auction is the market price for that item at that time.

So a seller can employ shills or not. The auction can be private or not or the buyes can snipe or not. I dont care... I place my bid and forget it, comfortable in the knowledge that I wont pay any more than market value.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Youre right that you won't pay more than your price but shill bids will result in you paying more than you legitimately should.
That doesn't really matter to me. My price is the price I believe is fair. If I pay that full amount, I still believe I have a fair deal. If I pay less, that's just a bonus.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Youre right that you won't pay more than your price but shill bids will result in you paying more than you legitimately should.

I dont know how thats possible. maybe more than I would have, but not more than I should have

Remember the seller could just as easily made it a reserve auction

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
A private auction is good for the buyer if it keeps other bidders away.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If we agree that market price is the price at which buyers and sellers agree to trade in an open market at a particular time......
The problem is that as soon as a shill bidder is placed in to the mix, it is no longer an open market. A shill bidder creates false levels of demand. Isn't shill bidding illegal in live auctions in some states?

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A private auction is good for the buyer if it keeps other bidders away.
Now that is a positive spin on it that I have never heard before.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I dont know how thats possible. maybe more than I would have, but not more than I should have

Remember the seller could just as easily made it a reserve auction
I stand corrected on my grammar. Your point on reserve price is fair too, or they could set an opening price, but at least those are legit.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem is that as soon as a shill bidder is placed in to the mix, it is no longer an open market. A shill bidder creates false levels of demand. Isn't shill bidding illegal in live auctions in some states?

It's not right and it's not legal. And your point about increased demand is a good one. But at least on eBay for this timeshares I buy, there is enough supply that a shill here and there dosent make a lot of difference to the supply demand ratio

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

ronparise

TUG Member