• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Will this Covid spread continue to level down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Someone posted that we should be following the Swedish model. My question is, have you looked at the results of the Swedish model in Sweden. If we had followed the Swedish method we would have 177,000+ deaths in the US, rather than the current 132,000+ deaths. Somehow that doesn't work for me.

One of the major problems in the US is by leaving each state to determine their own guidelines and rules, we have 50 different models. Some states have been quite strict, Hawaii jumps to the front, and others have been cavalier, FL, TX and AZ come to mind.

There continues to be no national strategy and probably won't be one for about 7 more months. Leaders lead, in either a positive manner or a negative manner. But which ever way they go they will have followers.
I'd place a wager that the US will surpass, if not come close, to Sweden's death per population rate.
#CountryNew DeathsDeaths/1M pop
7Sweden537
9USA145399

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
New York "doing well" is questionable as NY still has the highest new deaths of any state.

But if people think they are "doing well" at the moment, they did not "do well" at all. We can't forget all those bodies piled up in trailers. The most vulnerable, who were going to die from C19, likely have died.

CA, FLA, AZ and TX have a lot of catching up to do:
USATotalNewDeaths/
StateDeathsDeaths1M pop
New Jersey15,250171,717
New York32,215241,656
Connecticut4,3351,216
Massachusetts8,1491,182
Arizona1,80517248
Florida3,70317172
California6,314160
Texas2,62190
At this point I think we all owe NY and Boston a debt of gratitude. It is not good to be the first to deal with a novel virus. At this point the knowledge gained from their pain has given us a lot of tools to deal with this disease. If NY and Boston were to have the same problem today they would deal with it much better. Even if the nightmare that we all basically will get it over time comes to be I think we can all agree we want it later. IMHO your chances of survival are significantly higher now than in March. Every month we stay healthy before getting this is important.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
New York "doing well" is questionable as NY still has the highest new deaths of any state.

But if people think they are "doing well" at the moment, they did not "do well" at all. We can't forget all those bodies piled up in trailers. The most vulnerable, who were going to die from C19, likely have died.

CA, FLA, AZ and TX have a lot of catching up to do:
USATotalNewDeaths/
StateDeathsDeaths1M pop
New Jersey15,250171,717
New York32,215241,656
Connecticut4,3351,216
Massachusetts8,1491,182
Arizona1,80517248
Florida3,70317172
California6,314160
Texas2,62190

Deaths trail new cases. Compared to before New York is doing well.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
At this point I think we all owe NY and Boston a debt of gratitude. It is not good to be the first to deal with a novel virus. At this point the knowledge gained from their pain has given us a lot of tools to deal with this disease.
Such as?

Because I do not see any "tools" other than "pauses" in the failed shutdowns and unenforceable "quarantines" being used as tools.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Recently, there is talk of herd immunity being very close or already happening.

Bill

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not bother to watch the video. Sweden is the country closest to some kind of "herd immunity" by a few months, yet they are nowhere close to achieving it. There is no simple path to beating Covid-19.

Brett

Reaction score
At this point I think we all owe NY and Boston a debt of gratitude. It is not good to be the first to deal with a novel virus. At this point the knowledge gained from their pain has given us a lot of tools to deal with this disease. If NY and Boston were to have the same problem today they would deal with it much better. Even if the nightmare that we all basically will get it over time comes to be I think we can all agree we want it later. IMHO your chances of survival are significantly higher now than in March. Every month we stay healthy before getting this is important.

yes

Wall Street Journal Monday July 6 2020

hosp.jpg

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Such as?

Because I do not see any "tools" other than "pauses" in the failed shutdowns and unenforceable "quarantines" being used as tools.
How about the delayed usage of respirators and longer use of higher rates of oxygen. How about the fact the patients are now moved on their stomach instead of the back. How about remdesivir, All of these things were learned in NY and Boston. But of course focus on the word "tools" instead of what I said. You conflated number of cases with survivability of a case. Those are 2 very different issues. Of course if you want to talk the other issue, a mask is not a hammer but the virus may beg to differ.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Re herd immunity, this report was just published today.

Prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 in Spain (ENE-COVID): a nationwide, population-based seroepidemiological study

The majority of the Spanish population is seronegative to SARS-CoV-2 infection, even in hotspot areas. Most PCR-confirmed cases have detectable antibodies, but a substantial proportion of people with symptoms compatible with COVID-19 did not have a PCR test and at least a third of infections determined by serology were asymptomatic. These results emphasise the need for maintaining public health measures to avoid a new epidemic wave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is just my opinion, feeling, prediction about this crisis.

The country is in a health care tailspin. At some level at the federal level either by a congressional veto proof legislative measure or Presidential order we will have to shut down hard again and remain shut. I don't see any way out of this since there is not any vaccine available.

I may be wrong but every day the data is not going in the right direction. At some point the system will break down again.

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score

The country is in a health care tailspin. At some level at the federal level either by a congressional veto proof legislative measure or Presidential order we will have to shut down hard again and remain shut. I don't see any way out of this since there is not any vaccine available.

I may be wrong but every day the data is not going in the right direction. At some point the system will break down again.
Wish I could disagree with you, but I think you are spot on.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score

Well this was just yesterday. So sorry for those in California that are losing their jobs and livelihood.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The temperatures in Virginia for the past seven (7) days have average over 91 degrees and the coronavirus have risen every day. It’s have been Hot and very Humid

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
By wearing a mask EVERYWHERE in public we would slow the spread of coronavirus! Until that is done numbers will continue to climb!

And by staying home, you drop the spread even further and faster...

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I liked the OP topics of this thread.

Will This Covid Spread Continue To Level Down ?

Have I miss something about COVID-19 and the continuing spike of this coronavirus in the United States.?

Please wear a mask, wash your hands and practice social distancing.

Please Stay Home.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I liked the OP topics of this thread.

Will This Covid Spread Continue To Level Down ?

Have I miss something about COVID-19 and the continuing spike of this coronavirus in the United States.?

Please wear a mask, wash your hands and practice social distancing.

Please Stay Home.

Did you see this post?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a path to bearing COVID. Well other then no contento t with others but that is not possible logistically and by people not caring. What I have not seen talked about is what a cure or first a vaccine is worth to company that comes up with it? Obviously to the world as a whole it’s priceless.

How long is everyone willing or can wait it out? Financially a lot have very few options but a lot do not really know what poor is. Hopefully as little as possible end up there.

How many lives are people willing to lose?

rjp123

TUG Member
Reaction score
As an American abroad, it is very sad to see how the politicians have politicized the pandemic at the expense of citizens. This is so wrong. Unfortunately I don't see this situation improving.

To my immediate family who still lives in the US, I've suggested they get out (they fortunately can). They are making their plans now to temporarily leave.

Wear a mask when out, stay at home and isolate. The virus is no joke - regardless of age. My wife's a PhD in Toxicology and this thing is insidious for all and dangerous for many (regardless of age).

It's not 100% about death. Many of those who survive have significant health issues afterwards, some of which will impact them for life.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
As an American abroad, it is very sad to see how the politicians have politicized the pandemic at the expense of citizens. This is so wrong. Unfortunately I don't see this situation improving.

To my immediate family who still lives in the US, I've suggested they get out (they fortunately can). They are making their plans now to temporarily leave.

Wear a mask when out, stay at home and isolate. The virus is no joke - regardless of age. My wife's a PhD in Toxicology and this thing is insidious for all and dangerous for many (regardless of age).

It's not 100% about death. Many of those who survive have significant health issues afterwards, some of which will impact them for life.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

That's what most here arguing the statistics, shut-downs, and masks are ignoring. It's not just about life or death. It's also about possibly of never being the same again!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Some (Scientists among us) may find this interesting.
@DeniseM - this is an offshoot of the previous publication dealing with the factors (mainly immune related) that lead to serious issues with CV.
Goes to the reasons why some get sicker than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.