• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
I purchased a grand chateau 2 br EOY in 2015 as a pure trader to see how it trades. I paid 1800 on ebay with all fees. We are tied to a school schedule and are a beach family so trades are usually popular places during popular times.. We traded it as a 1 br and studio, usually trading for 2 bedrooms. It was so successful that this year we sold the EOY (got 1200) and purchased a 3 br annual for 3500 plus closing costs on redweek. We went for the 3 br because we wanted an easier time trading into the grande ocean during the summer (with the 2 bedroom side). For 2022 (first use year of 3 br), we put in a very small trading window because we own at the GO and we wanted the week before or week after we booked our unit. We were confirmed for July 2022 within 3 weeks of requesting the trade. It has a 1 day overlap but not a big deal and worth the one day waste. Our last trade of the EOY was for St Thomas the end of April with the 1 bedroom and mid May for a 2 br at the Oceana Palms with the studio. . We have been to Aruba (summer), OceanWatch (Easter), HHI (summer) and Palm Desert (Christmas) with the EOY with the only 1 br being Palm Desert . I think the GC is a great trader and I have yet to hear Marriot exercising ROFR.
what an amazing trader. This site is very dangerously good ;) thank you for sharing! I'm going to buy annual use for sure.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
what an amazing trader. This site is very dangerously good ;) thank you for sharing! I'm going to buy annual use for sure.

Anytime you are looking to trade within II trading to get an upgrade requires work. I do not want to leave you with the impression that it is automatic. I check instant exchanges often and that is how many of the trades happened. The reason for the 3 bedroom is for the trading value of a 2 bedroom into a 2 bedroom. Just wanted to complete the picture. Good luck.

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
Anytime you are looking to trade within II trading to get an upgrade requires work. I do not want to leave you with the impression that it is automatic. I check instant exchanges often and that is how many of the trades happened. The reason for the 3 bedroom is for the trading value of a 2 bedroom into a 2 bedroom. Just wanted to complete the picture. Good luck.
yes yes yes, I do understand that it is a lot of work. I own a low trader for 15 years and went to amazing Marriott places by putting a lot of work:)
thank you for clarifying some information for me!

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
ROFR Result
Marriott Barony Beach
Silver Season
Annual 2BR
Garden View
$1.25 purchase price
Passed ROFR 10/28/2021

grupp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is my recent ROFR experience, all of these passed

Marriott Mountainside Plat EOY Odd $7,500 plus closing
Marriot Manor Club Sequal Plat $500 Includes closing and free use of 2022 week
Marriott Canyon Village Plat $5,000 plus closing (2 weeks at this price first use 2022)
Marriott Summit Watch Plat $13,000 plus closing (3 weeks all with existing reservation for 2022)
Marriott Summit Watch Plat $12,000 plus closing (first use 2023)

Week I sold also passed

Marriott Maui Ocean Club Plat 2 Br Oceanfront first use 2023 $25,000

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Is an Instant Exchange different from whatever II calls an on-going search?

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
I think they are referring to searching on II for available inventory and grabbing a week they like. You have to search frequently as inventory is constantly changing, but there is plenty of great stuff that shows up especially in the Flexchange period (59 days before check-in). During Flexchange you can often grab a 2 bedroom and not have to pay the size upgrade fee. If you are hoping to do this, I also suggest you read about how to use E-Plus.

And yes, an on-going search is where Interval International tries to match you to a unit and dates that you have requested (no work required by you after you have put in your request).

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
I think they are referring to searching on II for available inventory and grabbing a week they like. You have to search frequently as inventory is constantly changing, but there is plenty of great stuff that shows up especially in the Flexchange period (59 days before check-in). During Flexchange you can often grab a 2 bedroom and not have to pay the size upgrade fee. If you are hoping to do this, I also suggest you read about how to use E-Plus.

And yes, an on-going search is where Interval International tries to match you to a unit and dates that you have requested (no work required by you after you have put in your request).
@marmite - other II users have said that if you don't use the II ongoing search you are only offered the leftovers after all the searches are fulfilled? Also...Yes Eplus rules!

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)

when I am doing a size upgrade I use instant exchange which looks at current inventory and I do look very frequently usually in the early morning before 7 am. I sometimes do this 5 times a week. It takes 2 minutes. I picked up a Grande Ocean the third week in August 2022 with the 1 bedroom of the Grande Chateau. I am always pleasantly surprised the inventory that shows up so far out. I am not sure how a summer Grande Ocean showed up on instant exchange which implies no one had a exchange request in that would have traded, but it did and does. This unit my son will use. I got the end of April 2022 at St Thomas which is platinum with a 1 bedroom GC and a 2 bedroom at at Oceana Palms mid May 2022 which is the first week of gold season with a studio GC. I did use an exchange request when trading the two bedroom side of the Grand Chateau for the Grande Ocean because I had only two weeks in July I was looking to book and it was like value.

Last edited:

haras

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just passed ROFR in 9 days, on a Grand Chateau 2BDR Platinum Lockoff for $2,950. I'll enter it ROFR.net. Thanks for the great resource, that database has been really helpful to me over the years.

was this an annual?

jazzeah

TUG Member
Reaction score
*** 5/1/16 - This link to the current, active ROFR database is added with the OP's permission: ROFR Experiences (www.rofr.net) ***

All,

I have had a few PMs asking me to compute ROFR metrics for various offers, which I am happy to do, and also asking for the history of this unofficial metric. The following thread is where we collected the data (such as it is).

I've taken the Points Value spreadsheet that TUGgers helped compile a couple of years back, and computed the ROFR metric for all weeks.

Accordingly, the attached is a hypothetical price of what should clear ROFR, if the metric can predict a ROFR exercise.

Please note, this approach is imperfect and I would hate to see a TUGger increase their bid based solely on this -- please make an offer price of what the week is worth to you. And please consult with a broker on what has been passing ROFR lately, they will have the most current information.

Anyone can compute their own ROFR metric:

1) Start with the DC Points that the underlying week is worth (example: 3,000 DC Points)
2) Multiply #1 by $10 per point (representing how much Marriott can sell the related points for if they ROFR it and deposit to the Trust -- example: 3,000 * $10/point = $30,000)
3) Take your Offer Price ($5,000?) and divide it by the result of #2 (example: $5,000 / $30,000 = 16.6%)
4) The resulting percentage will likely be between 5% - 35%.

My theory is that weeks where #4 is less than 23% have a greater probability of not passing ROFR than if #4 is greater than 23%. It is based on the linked thread up above.

I welcome comments, corrections and more recent data. Good luck!

Best,

Greg
what does a "-" or blank mean?

[Moderator Note: Ad-like comment deleted.] <-- SueDonJ

Last edited by a moderator:

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Just found out today that Marriott exercised on Harbour Lake, annual 2BR, Week 52 Plat Plus. $1,200. Have entered it into the database.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Just found out today that Marriott exercised on Harbour Lake, annual 2BR, Week 52 Plat Plus. $1,200. Have entered it into the database.
Was that the Ebay one from a couple weeks ago? I was bidding on that too!

lisa3635

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will post in the database, but Marriott excercised Rofr on a Barony platinum oceanside for $8000.

rmclain73

TUG Member
Reaction score
I put it in the database, but Marriott passed on my Aruba Surf Club platinum season OV at $15k.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I put it in the database, but Marriott passed on my Aruba Surf Club platinum season at $15k.

Which view?

Edit: nvm, saw it's ocean view.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Marriott Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom Platinum Annual passed at $3,500 (found on Redweek). Will add to ROFR.net once the transaction closes.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
ROFR Passed for Marriott Harbour Lake Annual Platinum at $128 - will post to the log when transfer is final.

emoneybug

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - Saratoga Springs 365pts (resale)
Marriott Willow Ridge Lodge 2 Bedroom Platinum Annual passed at $750 (with seller paying closing and transfer costs). Will add to ROFR.net once the transaction closes.

Where did you find your seller at?