• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
FYI - Vacation Club recording a week on their records after legal transfer - We were notified today that our resale purchase of Boston Custom House is now recorded on the Marriott side. The deed was recorded on February 3rd and Vacation Club recorded it today, March 13th - just over 2 months.

Fortunately, we had the seller secure our 2022 reservation while it was in their names.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Cypress Harbor 2 BR Annual Special season passed on 2/24/22 at $408.
I was notified by Marriott that this is my account yesterday, and it showed up online this morning. About 8 weeks.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought 3 gold weeks GV weeks on 2/7- the first week was sent to Marriott on 3/8 and confirmed transfer from Marriott today- so 49 days for Marriott to transfer and 78 days start to finish.

The other 2 were sent to Marriott on 3/26 & 4/12, so we'll see if the ~49 days or so holds once those ones transfer.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I bought 3 gold weeks GV weeks on 2/7- the first week was sent to Marriott on 3/8 and confirmed transfer from Marriott today- so 49 days for Marriott to transfer and 78 days start to finish.

The other 2 were sent to Marriott on 3/26 & 4/12, so we'll see if the ~49 days or so holds once those ones transfer.

I'm waiting on one that went to Marriott around 3/18. Based on your timeline, maybe another 1-2 weeks.

eyedude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast (Platinum Plus and Platinum), Marriott Mountainside (ski week), Marriott Maui Ocean Club Lahaina (week 34,35 and 49,50), DSV 2 (red)
DSV2. Made offer 1/27/22. Marriott put the week into my account 5/2/22. Purchase price $3750 but included reserved Christmas week 2022. Since the MF is about $1520 and the property tax is about $100, I figure I paid about $2130 for the week. I asked the owner to reserve a 2023 week for me and they secured March 18. I locked off both weeks and deposited into II. Interesting to see that the spring 2023 week has noticeable better trading power than the Christmas week. TDI is 150 for spring 2023 and 135 for Christmas 2022. Already secured a Newport Coast Villas for early October 2022 using the suite portion of my Christmas week. 3 more trades to go. Most of the trades were made for 2023 and 2024 weeks so it will be awhile before I can get a match. I will be interested to see what the trade power is...hopefully it is as good as many have suggested here in the forums.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
2 BR Harbour Lake Annual Platinum passed at $799 with seller paying closing costs.
This was submitted to MVC in mid-March and I got notification from Owner Services this morning, so about 8 weeks or so.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
This was submitted to MVC in mid-March and I got notification from Owner Services this morning, so about 8 weeks or so.
Are they focusing their ROFR on points and letting the deeds go?

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Are they focusing their ROFR on points and letting the deeds go?
Not really. From ROFR.net it appears they're grabbing high value weeks and letting the lesser ones slide through, plus taking most of the points sales under $3.75 or so.

That's a big generalization, though, and it can be kinda random.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Seems almost all of the points are failing ROFR
People are more likely to document a failed purchase than a successful one.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
People are more likely to document a failed purchase than a successful one.
Not so sure, people also like to brag about what they were able to get through.

I will add though, people are likely to report a failed ROFR right away where they will wait until a passed ROFR is in their account before reporting it on ROFR.net.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score

Week number 2 transferred today. So 3/26 to 5/23= 58 days. One more to go...

Bodie

TUG Member
Reaction score
*** 5/1/16 - This link to the current, active ROFR database is added with the OP's permission: ROFR Experiences (www.rofr.net) ***

All,

I have had a few PMs asking me to compute ROFR metrics for various offers, which I am happy to do, and also asking for the history of this unofficial metric. The following thread is where we collected the data (such as it is).

I've taken the Points Value spreadsheet that TUGgers helped compile a couple of years back, and computed the ROFR metric for all weeks.

Accordingly, the attached is a hypothetical price of what should clear ROFR, if the metric can predict a ROFR exercise.

Please note, this approach is imperfect and I would hate to see a TUGger increase their bid based solely on this -- please make an offer price of what the week is worth to you. And please consult with a broker on what has been passing ROFR lately, they will have the most current information.

Anyone can compute their own ROFR metric:

1) Start with the DC Points that the underlying week is worth (example: 3,000 DC Points)
2) Multiply #1 by $10 per point (representing how much Marriott can sell the related points for if they ROFR it and deposit to the Trust -- example: 3,000 * $10/point = $30,000)
3) Take your Offer Price ($5,000?) and divide it by the result of #2 (example: $5,000 / $30,000 = 16.6%)
4) The resulting percentage will likely be between 5% - 35%.

My theory is that weeks where #4 is less than 23% have a greater probability of not passing ROFR than if #4 is greater than 23%. It is based on the linked thread up above.

I welcome comments, corrections and more recent data. Good luck!

Best,

Greg

Hi Greg, you seem to be the man to whom others go with questions, so if you can entertain one more? I am looking to get Executive to Presidential for which I need 1350 DC points (technically 1500 as that is the tronche MVC requires). What is the best way one can do that and ensure that MVC accepts the deal with no restrictions? Also, how does one avoid shady brokers? Haven't checked any deals with MVC directly (Plus Points are a joke) but assuming $15 or more per point, I'm looking at close to $25K which is a non starter. Thanks for your wisdom. Bodie in CA

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Hi Greg, you seem to be the man to whom others go with questions, so if you can entertain one more? I am looking to get Executive to Presidential for which I need 1350 DC points (technically 1500 as that is the tronche MVC requires). What is the best way one can do that and ensure that MVC accepts the deal with no restrictions? Also, how does one avoid shady brokers? Haven't checked any deals with MVC directly (Plus Points are a joke) but assuming $15 or more per point, I'm looking at close to $25K which is a non starter. Thanks for your wisdom. Bodie in CA
This isn't Greg but I'll chime in. I've bought several resale weeks and DC points from eBay brokers. Most are reputable and I've never had an issue other than maybe transactions taking forever with one particular broker. You could also look at the TUG classifieds and Redweek.

You'll probably need to purchase for $3.50 or higher to clear ROFR, and you might hav to try a couple of times to make it through. Once you've passed ROFR you'll need to pay MVC $3/point to enroll them in the system. Once there they function just like points you bought from the developer and would count towards your status. I have first hand experience buying 1,000 points to get to Select a couple of years ago.

Bodie

TUG Member
Reaction score
This isn't Greg but I'll chime in. I've bought several resale weeks and DC points from eBay brokers. Most are reputable and I've never had an issue other than maybe transactions taking forever with one particular broker. You could also look at the TUG classifieds and Redweek.

You'll probably need to purchase for $3.50 or higher to clear ROFR, and you might hav to try a couple of times to make it through. Once you've passed ROFR you'll need to pay MVC $3/point to enroll them in the system. Once there they function just like points you bought from the developer and would count towards your status. I have first hand experience buying 1,000 points to get to Select a couple of years ago.
Thank you. I’m always concerned about the legitimacy of brokers. Also that MVC would not allow these points to be used with full privileges.
That price point is a whole lot better than MVC.

barbdewald

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2 BD Lockoff at Ko Olina. Contract for $7,000 did NOT go through. MVCI exercised the ROFR. However, another week for $7,500 did go through, so we got a week.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
2 BD Lockoff at Ko Olina. Contract for $7,000 did NOT go through. MVCI exercised the ROFR. However, another week for $7,500 did go through, so we got a week.

Annual? Which view?

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been inquiring about Marriott Timber Lodge platinum summer weeks with various realtors who are listing resales. One realtor told me that Marriott just exercised ROFR on a platinum summer week at $6,500 and yesterday a different realtor told me that Marriott just exercised ROFR on a platinum summer week at $7,000. These are pretty high numbers to be seeing ROFR, imo, but there it is.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I have been inquiring about Marriott Timber Lodge platinum summer weeks with various realtors who are listing resales. One realtor told me that Marriott just exercised ROFR on a platinum summer week at $6,500 and yesterday a different realtor told me that Marriott just exercised ROFR on a platinum summer week at $7,000. These are pretty high numbers to be seeing ROFR, imo, but there it is.
please add to ROFR.net