• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Can and should I do this if the information is anecdotal from the realtors vs. my having personal knowledge from being part of the transaction?
If you believe it to be true from a good source, I'd post it. If worth sharing here, then worth being on ROFR.net

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Keep in mind that realtors have incentives to tell you that ROFR prices are higher than they actually are. It makes their job easier. Unless it was someone I had complete faith in, I wouldn’t consider it 100% reliable.

Just a thought.

rmclain73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can and should I do this if the information is anecdotal from the realtors vs. my having personal knowledge from being part of the transaction?

At the time when I was looking to purchase my week I first spoke with a realtor I found on Redweek as she had a lot of units listed. I put in a offer on a unit she was selling based on recent ROFR prices. She told me the my offer would never pass even though it was a bit higher than identical units that had sold and recently passed. The realtor was very aggressive to get me to come up higher. So much so that she laughed at my offer and told me her sellers would never accept it. I ended up buying my unit directly through a different owner and a closing company. My offer made it through no problem just as I suspected it would. I now see the realtor has lowered the price on all of her units for sale.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
I bought MGV Marriott Grande Vista 2BR Platinum EOY from Ebay, paid $1425 all in. I just got the Marriott email yesterday that it's in my account. Marriott took about 7 weeks once they got the paperwork. I'll add to ROFR.net

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
Two transactions this month through 2 different closing companies - ROFR waiver requests were submitted by Tuesday 5:30 pm deadline and approved within 48 hours. Thank you, Vacation Club.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Grande Vista 2 BR Platinum FL Club unit (ODD, EOY) $870 all in with no additional fees. First usage 2023. Currently trying to decide whether to book OP Feb or GV week 26 with either as a lock off.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grande Vista 2 BR Platinum FL Club unit (ODD, EOY) $870 all in with no additional fees. First usage 2023. Currently trying to decide whether to book OP Feb or GV week 26 with either as a lock off.

That's Great. Can't believe how cheap that was!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pretty high closing but I looked at the overall price. I felt the timing of the week and Maintenance fees was about as good as it could get for my situaiton. The seller (timesharediscounts) and closing company (TransferCo) have booth been gems to work with, best I've ever had by far. Responsive, proactive, responds to emails, kept me informed with specific details and realistic information. From close of Ebay auction to in my account was 2.5 months mostly waiting on MVC. ROFR was very fast (1 day). From date MVC picked up the packet to in my account was right at 6 weeks. I had 2 others taken under ROFR a few years ago (2017 & 2018). Both were annual and prices of $551 & $1011.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Pretty high closing but I looked at the overall price. I felt the timing of the week and Maintenance fees was about as good as it could get for my situaiton. The seller (timesharediscounts) and closing company (TransferCo) have booth been gems to work with, best I've ever had by far. Responsive, proactive, responds to emails, kept me informed with specific details and realistic information. From close of Ebay auction to in my account was 2.5 months mostly waiting on MVC. ROFR was very fast (1 day). From date MVC picked up the packet to in my account was right at 6 weeks. I had 2 others taken under ROFR a few years ago (2017 & 2018). Both were annual and prices of $551 & $1011.
I've had good experiences with that seller/closing as well. Nice pickup, Dean.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.

Does anyone have any insight into a tendency by Vacation to let EOY years through the ROFR process at lower sales prices. I'm thinking the administrative difference might cause them to pass on EOY units. Make any sense?

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight into a tendency by Vacation to let EOY years through the ROFR process at lower sales prices. I'm thinking the administrative difference might cause them to pass on EOY units. Make any sense?
Anecdotally, yes. This has been discussed before but too lazy to look for the post/thread.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Anecdotally, yes. This has been discussed before but too lazy to look for the post/thread.
Thank you - no reason to chase this. It makes sense. I'll watch for an opportunity to test it.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My experiences and what I've seen here would say yes. I've also had info from sales that reinforced that thought even when it was not related to a sales process. Anecdotal from TUG would go along with that thought. I looked through the ROFR thread, of the last 50 EOY, only 3 failed. Two Desert springs White weeks and one HL Gold week.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
*** 5/1/16 - This link to the current, active ROFR database is added with the OP's permission: ROFR Experiences (www.rofr.net) ***

All,

I have had a few PMs asking me to compute ROFR metrics for various offers, which I am happy to do, and also asking for the history of this unofficial metric. The following thread is where we collected the data (such as it is).

I've taken the Points Value spreadsheet that TUGgers helped compile a couple of years back, and computed the ROFR metric for all weeks.

Accordingly, the attached is a hypothetical price of what should clear ROFR, if the metric can predict a ROFR exercise.

Please note, this approach is imperfect and I would hate to see a TUGger increase their bid based solely on this -- please make an offer price of what the week is worth to you. And please consult with a broker on what has been passing ROFR lately, they will have the most current information.

Anyone can compute their own ROFR metric:

1) Start with the DC Points that the underlying week is worth (example: 3,000 DC Points)
2) Multiply #1 by $10 per point (representing how much Marriott can sell the related points for if they ROFR it and deposit to the Trust -- example: 3,000 * $10/point = $30,000)
3) Take your Offer Price ($5,000?) and divide it by the result of #2 (example: $5,000 / $30,000 = 16.6%)
4) The resulting percentage will likely be between 5% - 35%.

My theory is that weeks where #4 is less than 23% have a greater probability of not passing ROFR than if #4 is greater than 23%. It is based on the linked thread up above.

I welcome comments, corrections and more recent data. Good luck!

Best,

Greg

Greg, thanks for maintaining this…it is very helpful. I guess its only as good as the members who post their experiences here.
At a sales presentation at Marriott Aruba Ocean Club today, the closing Sales Manager used ROFR as a “threat” to trying to buy resale. Interesting that the most recent Ocean Club sale (3/31/22) listed at $17,000 for a 2 bedroom Platinum week “failed”. Since they are reselling these for almost $50,000, I guess its a pretty good investment for MVC to be scooping these up at that price.
Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Greg, thanks for maintaining this…it is very helpful. I guess its only as good as the members who post their experiences here.
At a sales presentation at Marriott Aruba Ocean Club today, the closing Sales Manager used ROFR as a “threat” to trying to buy resale. Interesting that the most recent Ocean Club sale (3/31/22) listed at $17,000 for a 2 bedroom Platinum week “failed”. Since they are reselling these for almost $50,000, I guess its a pretty good investment for MVC to be scooping these up at that price.
Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe Dioxide is the owner/page manager for ROFR.net.

Greg developed the ROFR pass/fail metric based on how many Destination Points a particular week is worth, e.g., a MOC Lahaina 2BR OF is worth 7475 points. So if MVCI takes it under ROFR at $29,900, that would mean they are paying about $4/point to put it in the trust. (Historically we have seen those units have to be $30K-$32K to pass). That's much higher than they can ROFR points for. That said, ROFR is a wild card and units in resorts like MOC OF may be worth more to them to get them in the Trust.

Last edited:

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
Bought several KOBC 2 BR OV this year between January and May.

$10k x 2 - different sellers but both bought in May
$11,500 x 1
$12k x 1
$12,500 x 1

Also, a EOY 2 br OV odd - $5k

All passed.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
Marriott Grande Chateau - 2 bed platinum EY $2,995. Passed ROFR on 5/26/22. Offer accepted on April 20th. Closed July 12th. I have yet to get an email from MVC. Seems to have taking a long time to process. This was listed by Redweek agents.

Now ... what to get next

anthonycasta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI
My ROFR came back in less then a week ...

About 6 weeks to close? Did you use dedicated timeshare to close?