• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owner Update and HGV Max

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I read the original FB post where @Nowaker got this. We have two different salespersons statements on this topic. I tend to agree with this salesperson above. It just fits with current booking windows. To me, if HGV was going to change the booking windows in HGVC, they won't need the "Loyalty Search Request". But like always, let's wait to see it in writing first.

I have no doubt this is true. My questions are whether this 10 month window extends to lower level elites and also to just HGV Max buyer. Agree, the devil is in the details. I am hesitant to get this from a rep because they will say whatever will sell more.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
That would be against the 6 month timeframe of the HGV Max booking window. Not saying it’s not correct, but that’s not how I read it.

I read that also but, according to him, that is a perk of being both elite and max. He told us that both in person and email.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have no doubt this is true. My questions are whether this 10 month window extends to lower level elites and also to just HGV Max buyer. Agree, the devil is in the details. I am hesitant to get this from a rep because they will say whatever will sell more.
Agreed. Take it for what it is... From a rep but, I will say, he has been the best that we have worked with. Didn't push anything, seems very knowledgeable, been with HGV for 19 years, and has continued to answer our emails.

He did say that the perk was because we were both elite and max so only Max people wouldn't get it. We are in the preferred + category so second from the bottom.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@HuskerATL Are you saying that Max without elite points level allows 10 month bookings? If Max access at 10 months without elite points is true. I am in for $7k with our one retail purchase.

No, according to him, only people that are both elite and max get the 10 month window with the Legacy Request Tool but for us, only 1 each year since we are only Preferred +.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks for clarifying @HuskerATL so now I am back to trying to figure out how to get to elite to get 10 month bookings. 1/year for Preferred makes me wonder if bottom end elite gets any 10 month booking

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
No, according to him, only people that are both elite and max get the 10 month window with the Legacy Request Tool but for us, only 1 each year since we are only Preferred +.

I think this is the correct interpretation. The only question is if the booking will be made at 10 months or 9 months with the higher status getting the week.

Another question to throw his way. Can you only book a week at a time or can you book any number of days?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
booking will be made at 10 months or 9 months with the higher status getting the week.

I sent him a clarifying email about whether it allows setting up a search at 10 and auto booked at 9 or actually booking at 10 months. We will see what his response is.

Last edited:

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for clarifying @HuskerATL so now I am back to trying to figure out how to get to elite to get 10 month bookings. 1/year for Preferred makes me wonder if bottom end elite gets any 10 month booking

Depending on where you are at, the Scotland properties look like a good route. I was just looking at their sales and maintenance and it isn't too bad. For me, by trading in our two Blvd resales, it allowed us to reduce our number of maintenances, hit preferred +, and be in Max. Will it be worth it in the end? Who knows... But we will see. I do like the Kohala Suites that we bought though.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@hustkerATL. Agreed. we have resales to trade in and a retail unit to trade up so will also explore those option during our next sales visit. If it is not much more than other routes, we may opt to requalify our resales via the sales office.

However, having to go to second tier Elite to get 10 month may be a showstopper for us. May just get HGV Max and see what happens. I am willing to blow $7k on table stakes but not $70k on a bunch of unknown inventory and constantly changing benefits. We already have gold Honors elite and AI reservations via bHC so Elite doesn't offer us much. Would like the wristbands but not worth tens of thousands. Also we would need need more points after a trade-in so need to factor in the resale cost.

Less worried if level 2 and above because there will be fewer Elites reserving at 10 months and it will take a long time to roll out HGV Max if they are not reaching out via a mass enrollment. (remember Diamond Max doesn't get a chance until 6 months)

I can already see how reps will use fear to drive sales, but this will take a looong time. I also can see how reps may approach Diamond members to buy an HGV unit (or potentially trade in their Diamond points/deeds) to get 9 month access in the system.

How will they separate the Diamond Points from HGV points if a dual owner? If dual owners can combine their points to reserve HGVC at 9 months, this is the real concern.

Last edited:

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@hustkerATL. Agreed. we have resales to trade in and a retail unit to trade up so will also explore those option during our next sales visit. If it is not much more than other routes, we may opt to requalify our resales via the sales office.

However, having to go to second tier Elite without 10 month may be a showstopper for us. because incremental value not ther. Less worried because there will be fewer Elites reserving at 10 months and it will take time to roll out HGV Max if they are not doing a mass enrollment. Diamond Max doesn't get a chance until 6 months).

Just to add, they gave us the original purchase price for the Blvds for trade in, even though we only paid $6k total for both so depending on your resales and the retail property that you are looking at, it could be a decent deal. Make sure to go to a regional sales office though since they can sell from any property. I don't know the list of those though. Kingsland and Orlando are but not sure of others.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
NYC can sell everyhing. Vegas cannot. We will be in NYC soon so may take a presentation.

I have also heard that you can call HGV in Orlando and strike a deal that way with all inventory.

Last edited:

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise

However, having to go to second tier Elite to get 10 month may be a showstopper for us. May just get HGV Max and see what happens. I am willing to blow $7k on table stakes but not $70k on a bunch of unknown inventory and constantly changing benefits. We already have gold Honors elite and AI reservations via bHC so Elite doesn't offer us much. Would like the wristbands but not worth tens of thousands. Also we would need need more points - resale most cost effective way to accumulate vs. trade-in.

Less worried if level 2 and above because there will be fewer Elites reserving at 10 months and it will take a long time to roll out HGV Max if they are not reaching out via a mass enrollment. (remember Diamond Max doesn't get a chance until 6 months)

I can already see how reps will use fear to drive sales, but this will take a looong time. I also can see how reps may approach Diamond members to buy an HGV unit (or potentially trade in their Diamond points/deeds) to get 9 month access in the system. How will they separate the Diamond Points from HGV points if a dual owner? If dual owners can combine their points to reserve at 9 months, this is the real concern.
Like you I think if this is limited to a small number of dual Max/Elite Plus owners the ten month booking doesn't have a great impact and takes a long time to roll out.

But if ten months becomes the new nine months, and we have some kind of miniature nuclear arms race to get to various Elite levels and there's really nothing left at nine months, that's a game changer, and we'll be out for anything but our home weeks. I also agree that would take a long time to play out so I'm not stressing about it today. Having spent the last 72 hours reading these threads and the new rules I still don't know exactly what the impact will be on desirable club bookings exactly at nine months, and probably no one else does, either.

I'm not going to put up $7k for a product with no deed and no guarantees behind it, especially because as a resale only owner I'd need to pony up for some kind of retail unit. Not going to happen. If I'm going to spend $15-$20k++ it's going to be for more deeded weeks at places I want to go every year.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Btw, from a FB elite group post of the new point breakdown:

There will now be 5 tiers -
Tier 1-Preferred (17,000+ Club Points),
Tier 2-Preferred+ (22,000+ ClubPoints),
Tier 3-Premier (38,000+ Club Points),
Tier 4-Premier+ (54,000+ Club Points),
Tier 5-Centum+ (100,000+ Club Points).
These Club Points include the 1.6x Points Rebalance.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
NYC can sell everyhing. Vegas cannot. We will be in NYC soon so may take a presentation.

We are heading to W. 57rh this evening and did not receive a call about an update. It's been a while. Even though we have a retail purchase that we sold back to them, I think our current status as resale-only has caught up with us. And NYC is the only place I'd welcome an update as the perks are worth it.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thank you. So Tier 1 is new. 10,625 old points. Was 14,000 old points for tier 1. I was already shooting for Tier 2 and didn't know it! We could requal an existing resale and qualify for Tier 1 because we are over that mark. Now wondering what benefits are in tier 1 vs. tier 2.

@HuskerATL An idea to save money: Could you look at getting into Tier 1 with a less expensive unit and HGV Max? What are their minimums?

@brp. I am sure they will hit you up when you pick up your Elevated Rewards card at the front desk. Would love to hear what they say in preso about HGV Max, 10 month reservations, and Tier 1 and 2 elite benefits if you are willing to take one for the team. :) Enjoy NYC.

Last edited:

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are heading to W. 57rh this evening and did not receive a call about an update. It's been a while. Even though we have a retail purchase that we sold back to them, I think our current status as resale-only has caught up with us. And NYC is the only place I'd welcome an update as the perks are worth it.

Cheers.
That may be why. We had a mix of retail and resale. When we met with the rep at Kingsland, he told us that if we only had resale, we couldn't have had the meeting. But, interestingly, when we first sat down and he pulled up our info, he commented "you have owned Tuscany since 2003 and Blvd since 2010". So, in part of the system it only showed the original sale date and then our ownership. We bought the Blvd last year. Even when we signed our new paperwork, the admin person thought that we had owned Blvd since 2010. I am sure the system knows but they didn't until we told them. I am sure they could have figured it out though.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
@brp. I am sure they will hit you up when you pick up your Elevated Rewards card at the front desk. Would love to hear what they say in preso about HGV Max, 10 month reservations, and Tier 1 and 2 elite benefits if you are willing to take one for the team. :) Enjoy NYC.

We actually don't pick up the card. I have a card that we got several years ago with my name on it. It has no expiration date. We've never used it so I don't even bring it anymore. But, even if I did, this one lasts forever. I would not get a new one due to the plastic waste of getting additional, duplicate items.

Now, they also suggest coming down to get 500 HHonors points added, and I might do that to see what they offer...but not another useless piece of plastic :)

I also have a feeling that, once they know we're resale they will retract the offer of any perks for the pitch. In that case, I'm out.

Cheers.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@HuskerATL An idea to save money: Could you look at getting into Tier 1 with a less expensive unit and HGV Max? What are their minimums

I haven't seen the perks of the first level but I assume you could.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score

Based on this, 6 Tiers...

1649361539734.png

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club

Very interesting. Currently I am Elite Premier with 58,560 retail points and another 42,000 resale points (after 1.6 adjustment) for total of 100,560. If I don’t join HGV Max, will they maintain the separate Elite Premier benefits? If I do join HGV Max would only the retail points qualify as Premium Plus or would they grandfather the other points? Looks like I’ll have to do an owner update to find out (going to Orlando next week and Hilton Club the following week).

I have a hard time believing there are a lot of members with greater than 100,000 retail only points. That would be 62,500 pre-conversion points and greater than $500k buy in (as a conservative estimate of $8 per point). Yikes.

Sean

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Very interesting. Currently I am Elite Premier with 58,560 retail points and another 42,000 resale points (after 1.6 adjustment) for total of 100,560. If I don’t join HGV Max, will they maintain the separate Elite Premier benefits? If I do join HGV Max would only the retail points qualify as Premium Plus or would they grandfather the other points? Looks like I’ll have to do an owner update to find out (going to Orlando next week and Hilton Club the following week).

I have a hard time believing there are a lot of members with greater than 100,000 retail only points. That would be 62,500 pre-conversion points and greater than $500k buy in (as a conservative estimate of $8 per point). Yikes.

Sean

Let us know what you find out. I traded my resale to get in elite and max but you are already in. The salesperson did comment that we could buy resale to add to our point total when in and, if that is true, why couldn't you bring in resale if you already had retail?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
The salesperson did comment that we could buy resale to add to our point total when in and, if that is true, why couldn't you bring in resale if you already had retail?

Question is: Would those resale points contribute to further elite levels if you were already in, or just add to the balance you had and be included in the privileges of the elite level that you had achieved from retail?

Cheers.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Question is: Would those resale points contribute to further elite levels if you were already in, or just add to the balance you had and be included in the privileges of the elite level that you had achieved from retail?

Cheers.
I don't think they would count toward elite but just the point total for club use unless they are resale from a developer.