• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owner Update and HGV Max

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
The Lyft credit I remember seeing in the paperwork but as usual there weren't any details, interested to see that come to fruition. For Elara stays we typically Uber/Lyft between the airport and the resort. As the crow flies it's not a long trip, but after factoring in the airport fee, it can easily run $20-25 each way, assuming no surge pricing.

One thing I discovered about Vegas in the warmer months is that rideshare pricing is highly volatile. You can pull up the app and be quoted a price, but even delaying 30 seconds in approving the pickup can cause the price to increase significantly (even double!).
We have it for Elite Premier and have used it in Vegas. We get a $250 credit each year.

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you would lose the discount once they implement the credit. I doubt you will get both. I think they used the Elite discount as an interim step until the credit system is in place for Max.

That makes sense. Mixed feeling on that, but I'd probably be more inclined to use open season booking with the flat credit vs the 30% discount. Downside is I can see this switch hurting people who make frequent use of open season booking.

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have it for Elite Premier and have used it in Vegas. We get a $250 credit each year.

Good to know. I'll start using Lyft to/from airport. What special info needs to be put into the Lyft app to get it to trigger the credit?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good to know. I'll start using Lyft to/from airport. What special info needs to be put into the Lyft app to get it to trigger the credit?
I assume that it will work the same as it does for EP. Once it is available, you will need to go to that section on the HGV website and sign up. You will then receive an email that you have a HGV credit for Lyft. Make sure your Lyft name and HGV match. Then when you are at an eligible airport or property and open Lyft, it will automatically come up as an option. Some folks use it for other stuff also, for example, they are not staying at a HGV but maybe near one in a hotel or some other activity so they use the Lyft credit to get them from the airport to the HGV and then take a cab/uber/lyft from the HGV to the actual place they are going. It reduces the cost, significantly, for some cities. Also, make sure to have an existing payment method in the Lyft app. For some reason, it will fail when there isn't a credit card in there...even though you are using a credit.

Here is the email that you get:
1685538776894.png

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's been the difficult part - can't find the link to activate the Lyft credit anywhere on the HGV website. I'll keep searching.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's been the difficult part - can't find the link to activate the Lyft credit anywhere on the HGV website. I'll keep searching.
if you are Max, it probably doesn't exist yet. It is in the Elite section for Legacy Elite Premier but since it isn't implemented in Max yet, they probably have not added the page.

1685542328880.png

1685542364685.png

1685542401057.png

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
So given all of this (assuming I can get it working) I'd value the resort credit ($100/yr) and the Lyft credit ($250/yr) at their face values, as we easily spend this amount and then some on these items annually, anyway.

Curious how the $100 resort credit works when double dipping on the Amex Aspire $250 resort credit? I'm assuming the $100 HGV resort credit comes off first (applied directly against eligible charges on the bill at checkout?) while the Amex Aspire resort credit is applied after the charges have hit the CC statement.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not sure since it hasn't started yet for Max folks but we get the $250 Aspire credit back when we pay our MFs so don't use it for resort stays. I guess, if you get the $250 Aspire credit when you pay your MFs, then you would get the $100 resort credit with a stay. Elite do not get a resort credit but we do get a wristband....:)

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
if you are Max, it probably doesn't exist yet. It is in the Elite section for Legacy Elite Premier but since it isn't implemented in Max yet, they probably have not added the page.

View attachment 77385

View attachment 77386

View attachment 77387

OK, yeah doesn't appear to be incorporated into our account yet - I don't see the Elite section under my HGV Max tab. We didn't buy into Max until last year - Premier+ under the current iteration, but didn't have elite status prior to that, so we wouldn't have any legacy benefits.

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure since it hasn't started yet for Max folks but we get the $250 Aspire credit back when we pay our MFs so don't use it for resort stays. I guess, if you get the $250 Aspire credit when you pay your MFs, then you would get the $100 resort credit with a stay. Elite do not get a resort credit but we do get a wristband....:)

Honestly the wristband is worth it! Way more convenient than it should be, especially if hopping around between gym and pool and room all day. Took them up on the wristband offer during our last stay and will never opt for the keycard again.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK, yeah doesn't appear to be incorporated into our account yet - I don't see the Elite section under my HGV Max tab. We didn't buy into Max until last year - Premier+ under the current iteration, but didn't have elite status prior to that, so we wouldn't have any legacy benefits.
Boy, if you didn't own HGV before last year and now are Premier +, you jumped in with both feet....:)

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Honestly the wristband is worth it! Way more convenient than it should be, especially if hopping around between gym and pool and room all day. Took them up on the wristband offer during our last stay and will never opt for the keycard again.
We save them and take them to the next property where they can activate it there.....great for kids and lazy adults who tend to forget their keycard....like my wonderful wife....:)

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
Honestly the wristband is worth it!
You could buy your own generic wristband with a programmable RFID chip, and ask the front desk to program it for you. These keycards are nothing special.

Quick search shows this - https://hotelandresortkeycards.com/products/brand-standard-hilton-your-stay-your-way-rfid-key-cards. It says "compatible with Saflok, DormaKaba, Ilco, Onity, Miwa & Securelox". Therefore, another quick search shows this as wristbands compatible with these technologies: https://hotelandresortkeycards.com/collections/wristbands-and-key-fobs

Boom. Elite benefit for all.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The open season credit is interesting. In theory, assuming nothing else about current open season booking changes, a Premier+ would receive a ~$500 (maybe $750?) annual open season credit. Premier+ already gets 30% off open season booking prices.

I will use an example of a six night (Sat - Fri) stay at Elara for open season booking. At Premier+ my open season rate for a 1BR is $525. Assuming Premier+ gets a $500 open season annual credit, one would in theory get that stay for $25 after the credit. If Premier+ gets a $750 annual credit then the stay is $0 out of pocket with another $225 to spare - probably enough for another ~five nights in a studio after the 30% discount.
I don't remember where I saw it, but I read that the Max Open Season credit will have restrictions so it won't just be a straight "$500 off" type of a deal. Instead, it will be capped at a certain percent discount, until the credit is used up. For example, if it was capped at 50%, that means you would have to book $1000 of Open Season reservations in order to use the full $500 credit.

Like I said, I just read about this once so certainly don't take it as anything more than a rumor. But it sounds like something the "new" HGV would do.

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
So given all of this (assuming I can get it working) I'd value the resort credit ($100/yr) and the Lyft credit ($250/yr) at their face values, as we easily spend this amount and then some on these items annually, anyway.
Just to note, the Lyft credit can only be applied for Lyft rides to/from the HGV resort and the airport. It is not a generic credit that can be used for any ride. They use geofences to enforce this, so it is only valid for a ride between the pre-programmed areas. However, there is a small loophole -- you can use the credit for a ride between any two geofenced areas; so for example, you can ride from HGVC Boulevard to Elara in Las Vegas, and the credit would be applied to that ride.

Kurt

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to note, the Lyft credit can only be applied for Lyft rides to/from the HGV resort and the airport. It is not a generic credit that can be used for any ride. They use geofences to enforce this, so it is only valid for a ride between the pre-programmed areas. However, there is a small loophole -- you can use the credit for a ride between any two geofenced areas; so for example, you can ride from HGVC Boulevard to Elara in Las Vegas, and the credit would be applied to that ride.

Kurt

We average ~four trips annually to Elara. @ $25 each way, we probably do hit close to $200 annually just in trips between airport and Elara. May try the Elara to Blvd trick next time I want to go to Peppermill!

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't remember where I saw it, but I read that the Max Open Season credit will have restrictions so it won't just be a straight "$500 off" type of a deal. Instead, it will be capped at a certain percent discount, until the credit is used up. For example, if it was capped at 50%, that means you would have to book $1000 of Open Season reservations in order to use the full $500 credit.

Like I said, I just read about this once so certainly don't take it as anything more than a rumor. But it sounds like something the "new" HGV would do.

Kurt

That makes sense. So perhaps the "30% open season discount" will remain, but will be deducted from the available credit based on tier.

So using the same example above, a $500 annual credit in that scenario would last about 10 days worth of open season stays before the credit is exhausted.

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could buy your own generic wristband with a programmable RFID chip, and ask the front desk to program it for you. These keycards are nothing special.

Quick search shows this - https://hotelandresortkeycards.com/products/brand-standard-hilton-your-stay-your-way-rfid-key-cards. It says "compatible with Saflok, DormaKaba, Ilco, Onity, Miwa & Securelox". Therefore, another quick search shows this as wristbands compatible with these technologies: https://hotelandresortkeycards.com/collections/wristbands-and-key-fobs

Boom. Elite benefit for all.

If you try this report back on how it goes. I'd rather have my own wristband that goes everywhere with me. Someone else said we should just keep the one from the resort and wash/reuse wherever we go.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you try this report back on how it goes. I'd rather have my own wristband that goes everywhere with me. Someone else said we should just keep the one from the resort and wash/reuse wherever we go.
I think many of the elite folks in this group have bags of them.....I know we do.

Eggrollcreative

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Elara, Worldmark, Seagull Beach Club, Vacation Internationale
Gee, not enough to be Max now, you have to be at these higher tiers. More arm twisting material for future updates.

WIHuck

TUG Member
Reaction score
The open season credit is interesting. In theory, assuming nothing else about current open season booking changes, a Premier+ would receive a ~$500 (maybe $750?) annual open season credit. Premier+ already gets 30% off open season booking prices.

I will use an example of a six night (Sat - Fri) stay at Elara for open season booking. At Premier+ my open season rate for a 1BR is $525. Assuming Premier+ gets a $500 open season annual credit, one would in theory get that stay for $25 after the credit. If Premier+ gets a $750 annual credit then the stay is $0 out of pocket with another $225 to spare - probably enough for another ~five nights in a studio after the 30% discount.
If there are rooms available. The problem is availability. If everything is booked up before the six month window opens up, good luck with open season. Unless, you get lucky with someone canceling last minute.

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
If there are rooms available. The problem is availability. If everything is booked up before the six month window opens up, good luck with open season. Unless, you get lucky with someone canceling last minute.
Indeed, open season definitely requires flexibility in the schedule. I lucked out during our last trip to Liberty Place, someone canceled their week at the last minute and I was able to grab it the DAY OF CHECK-IN to house some guests who were in town with us. Since it was day-of I had to call HGV and have them book it (app wouldn't let me), but it was a godsend!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Was offered this today at The Residences. I own only resale contracts at HGVC and bHC.

I accepted the $400 Visa gift card for 1hr of my time for a presentation. I get denied at HHV all the time for being resale owner. Figure this is a chance to actually go to an update and collect some cash.

2 hours later, I get a call from concierge apologizing that I am not eligible, because I am a resale owner. Offered that I can do a presentation with no rewards. Told him no thanks.

So this looks like NYC is no longer offering resale only owners updates anymore.

Here is a pic of what was offered to attend an update.
6ee916d6977304a7caa64aa1cc525f1f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
So this looks like NYC is no longer offering resale only owners updates anymore.

From the perspective of them trying to efficiently sell units, I totally get this.

However, if a Chevy dealer was not targeting people that had previously bought a used Chevy to purchase a new vehicle … would you think they had a good product.

I enjoy the heck out of my resale purchases … but this craziness is prime example #1 the developer system for marketing time shares is a highly flawed model. They know if you bought resale, you have figured out the con [confidence] game.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
I enjoy the heck out of my resale purchases … but this craziness is prime example #1 the developer system for marketing time shares is a highly flawed model. They know if you bought resale, you have figured out the con [confidence] game.
Somebody has to fall for it. Otherwise there would be no such thing as resale for the rest of us to enjoy.