• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owner Update and HGV Max

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
So we are in Hawaii right now and staying at the Bay Club. We went to the owner's update today because I wanted to hear about the Diamond updates and get discounted tickets for the Luau. A big part of the update was about HGV Max. They said that we don't need to do anything if we don't want to have access to the Diamond properties and the program will stay the same but if you do, then you need to join HGV Max. There are many more properties with that acquisition than just HGVC plus the Diamond properties use less points per stay so you gain nights per year. The cost to join is about $50k and will not be deeded unless you modify your existing ownership in some way then you are automatically in during this grand father period.

We have our Tuscany property that we bought in 2003 from the HGVC and then we have 2 gold Blvd properties that we bought last year via resales for about $6k total. They offered us the original sale price for the resales, which was about $45k as a trade in toward a platinum 2 bedroom at Kahola Suites, which was $70k, so we could pay the difference. This purchase could do three things for us: get us into Max, give us Elite status, and reduce our maintenance a little. He advised us not to trade in the Tuscany since we only paid $15k for it on 2003. If we went that route, then the combined point change would require going into the new preferred points structure and be a lot more expensive versus keeping the Tuscany and just selling the Blvds in the previous point structure.

The interesting thing is the offer of the original price paid for the resale. When I bought them, I didn't even ask about that but now that I see how HGVC is treating them for "upgrades" it is worth getting a cheap resale that had a high original purchase price and using it toward getting into Max. He told me that there is no guarantee that they will take a resale though and that they are going to start devaluing resales and limiting benefits. He also said that the elite benefits are being updated and the ones that he talked about the most are the ability to book 10 months out, no reservation fees for any reservations, and access to other elite only benefits like the King's Land pool of you are at Kahola or Bay Club.

Last edited:

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
So you trade 2 gold Blvd and $25k for 1 plat at Kohala? How many points pa, and what's the MF?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And they would toss in 12,500 bonus points

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So you trade 2 gold Blvd and $25k for 1 plat at Kohala? How many points pa, and what's the MF?

Yes. 5,000 x 2 (16,000 total new points) for the Blvds with a maintenance of a little over $1,800 total and the Kohala is 9,600 (15,360 new points) with a maintenance of $1,683.

Also the club fees are going up to $281.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Yes. 5,000 x 2 (16,000 total new points) for the Blvds with a maintenance of a little over $1,800 total and the Kohala is 9,600 (15,360 new points) with a maintenance of $1,683.

Also the club fees are going up to $281.

I think the $281 is the new MAX club fee. On the FB page a link has been posted to a Club Reference page that indicates the new fee’s, including a $7,000 initiation fee to join MAX without a points purchase. If this is accurate, and I have no reason to believe it isn’t, I can feel secure passing on future owner updates. If I want a particular resorts in DRI, I’ll pick up enough DRI trust points on the resale market and get the 13 month booking window instead of the 6 month booking window for HVC properties afforded by MAX.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I think the $281 is the new MAX club fee. On the FB page a link has been posted to a Club Reference page that indicates the new fee’s, including a $7,000 initiation fee to join MAX without a points purchase. If this is accurate, and I have no reason to believe it isn’t, I can feel secure passing on future owner updates. If I want a particular resorts in DRI, I’ll pick up enough DRI trust points on the resale market and get the 13 month booking window instead of the 6 month booking window for HVC properties afforded by MAX.

That $7000 number is correct. Here is a screenshot of the reference page from my account.
50DCD882-E08A-4A9B-9AAE-B6D83658F574.jpeg

Here’s another statement from the reference page about resale.

0C08E88A-617B-4E15-95A3-85BEB923716E.jpeg

Does this mean if you own resale you can’t be part of HGVMax or does it mean the purchase doesn’t qualify?

To me, it doesn’t matter. We won’t buy from the developer nor will we pay $7000 to join. I’m really disappointed in HGV, but not surprised. The desire to soak owners for even more money is too great. There will be plenty of people who will join and they will make their money, but all of the speculation a year ago was correct, this merger is a negative for many owners.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
That $7000 number is correct. Here is a screenshot of the reference page from my account.View attachment 50833

Here’s another statement from the reference page about resale.

View attachment 50837

Does this mean if you own resale you can’t be part of HGVMax or does it mean the purchase doesn’t qualify?

To me, it doesn’t matter. We won’t buy from the developer nor will we pay $7000 to join. I’m really disappointed in HGV, but not surprised. The desire to soak owners for even more money is too great. There will be plenty of people who will join and they will make their money, but all of the speculation a year ago was correct, this merger is a negative for many owners.

Just a guess but I’d read it and the fee schedule above to read that if you’re a retail owner you pay $7000 to get in. If you’re all resale you need to buy a deed from them to be eligible?

Im at a resort now and all retail. There was a 30k point Hilton offer on my reservation page prior to coming but we haven’t been contacted yet. Our check in was at 3am Sun am so that might play into that. Im not too interested in going to one at the moment but will update if I do get invited and go.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Just a guess but I’d read it and the fee schedule above to read that if you’re a retail owner you pay $7000 to get in. If you’re all resale you need to buy a deed from them to be eligible?

That’s how I read it. Resale owners can’t join or need to purchase a developer deed to play. If this is the case, will they close the Scotland loophole?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
That’s how I read it. Resale owners can’t join or need to purchase a developer deed to play. If this is the case, will they close the Scotland loophole?
Or do the Scotland / SW FL purchases count as "retail", since you are buying through a HGV agent? After all, they did count toward Elite and Elite qualification only counts retail-only purchases.

Kurt

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Or do the Scotland / SW FL purchases count as "retail", since you are buying through a HGV agent? After all, they did count toward Elite and Elite qualification only counts retail-only purchases.
I have the same question. I haven't seen any information on it. It would be a cheaper way, including getting more pts.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I am also waiting to hear from DRI members to see what their booking window into HGV will be (6 month mark?). Also, what will be their cost to join.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I want a particular resorts in DRI, I’ll pick up enough DRI trust points on the resale market and get the 13 month booking window instead of the 6 month booking window for HVC properties afforded by MAX.

This. There is a small subset of places we'd really want, and they are in the same collection, so this should work for us.

Cheers.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@HuskerATL Thanks for the update. If you attend I would be interested in understanding how HGV Max operates i.e. what kind of booking window priority? Are Embarq resorts included without HGV Max or without? what kind of points trades ratios into properties like Sedona and Cabo Azul?

$7k is a bit steep but that's the cost of a decent resale all in. We own a retail unit and may be inclined to upgrade for $10k for another deed if they could throw the Max fee into the deal and we could get Elite designation plus bonus points. More than $10k I am more likely to buy a Diamond or HGV resale. Could also go the Scottish route.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

I found this in the club rules. Just wondering if the Scotland and Florida and Breckenridge HGVC resales from the HGV sales agent are NOT HGV Max authorized sales centers.
i Initial Membership. Persons who purchase an ownership interest at a Hilton Grand Vacations resort from an HGV Max authorized sales center and join Hilton Grand Vacations Club after launch of HGV Max shall automatically receive HGV Max benefits.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
This is also an important part of the rules change:

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 10.10.48 AM.png

This is what we have heard so to me you aren't really getting much of a benefit since you will only be getting the "left-overs" from DRI. I assume that DRI members with HGV Max will also be able to book HGVC resorts (HC?) at the 6-month mark. This would mean that at < 6 months, bookings in HGVC will be much tighter.

I am also curious to see how the CI/Embarc resorts are integrated. We have previously heard that these resorts will be rebranded as HGVC.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm....

HGVC club annual fee $193
HGV Max annual fee $281

Total fee = $471?
Don't know, speculating.

If so, makes my unconverted to anything Bay Club look not so bad at $1758 MF.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Hmm...$7k and 6 months leftovers? If true, for the few times we plan to use it we could probably do better renting and get the exact view we want.

If Max can be thrown into a reasonable upgrade deal for a new deed where we get more HGV points and Elite, maybe not so bad. However this would require relinquishing our current deeds and I doubt they could do better MF/point than that.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Hmm....

HGV Max annual fee $281

Total fee = $471?
Don't know, speculating.

HGV Max members total club dues will be $281 which includes AI is how I read it. Having AI would be a nice benefit.

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 10.28.53 AM.png

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Interesting. What do they mean by "Unlimited Home Resort Priority" if you don't own bHC?

If we already pay for Inclusive Fees as part of bHC, does that mean that HGV Max is included?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I found the two following HGV Max additional benefits which I hadn't heard about before. I don't believe they will be worth upgrading because they are side benefits but I am sure that the sales force will highlight them:

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 10.36.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 10.35.21 AM.png

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
The six month window is a deal breaker. We're interested in the nicer, more in demand places like Zihua, Whistler, etc, and no way do I anticipate good availability at six months based on the DRI board.

Seems like the solution is the same as for the HGVC high demand locations: buy where and when you want to go.

Direct ownership at DRI and HGVC , would the points be combinable and equivalent in other ways?

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I found the two following HGV Max additional benefits which I hadn't heard about before. I don't believe they will be worth upgrading because they are side benefits but I am sure that the sales force will highlight them:

View attachment 50879

View attachment 50880
Notice the use of the word may instead of will in these statements. Reading them as an editor, I assume these could be possibilities but are not guarantees, which gives HGVC room to not offer these benefits--but gives sales people something to entice buyers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Hmm....

HGV Max annual fee $281

Total fee = $471?
Don't know, speculating.

If so, makes my unconverted to anything Bay Club look not so bad at $1758 MF.
bHC fees are not additive to Club fees. Since HGV Max is included in the bHC AI fee, it appears that those paying bHC fees are already paying for this.

Wonder if already paying bHC AI gets grandfathered access? Probably wishful thinking but would love to have some HGV recognition for higher bHC costs. Plus it would support the bHC brand promise of a higher tier.

IMO...I am glad they are putting things in writing. The "mays" are probably legalese. Just as MVC painfully learned about mandatory resale Vistana in deeds, I believe they are careful of avoiding lock-in and providing options for future program enhancements. I imagine that Club rules have similar wording.

Last edited: