• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Portfolio Points Program

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest the resale value of HPP points is ZERO, rather than "close to zero". :)

Dealing with timeshares is kinda like playing with grenades - close to the target is good enough since the damage inflicted is about the same!

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
...Siesta Key is not a typical weekly ownership - it is fractional (usually larger chunks of time). I think somebody has to decide they want to use Hyatt points and turn in some of their time for it to be available. So I don't think it becomes available by default at 6 months out if a reservation for it is not made. That would explain why availability is rare....
The purchase price for Siesta Key was substantial. I believe those owners have various options for usage. If they don't occupy the unit themselves, the best option would be to rent the unit. I don't see where they could get comparable value by applying the points for usage in the HRC system (except for maybe two of the Colorado high mountain resorts).

audax one

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Residence Club va Hyatt Portfolio Points program
Very sorry to hear that you were mislead. I would also say you have plenty of company on Tug with people who were taken advantage of - but we are here now and we learn to 1) not get swindled again and 2) maximize the use of what we have.

Siesta Key is not a typical weekly ownership - it is fractional (usually larger chunks of time). I think somebody has to decide they want to use Hyatt points and turn in some of their time for it to be available. So I don't think it becomes available by default at 6 months out if a reservation for it is not made. That would explain why availability is rare.

The PP locations you have the booking advantage on are not plentiful at this point but may become so later if corporate keeps buying legacy weeks. But you do have access to HRC weeks also and I hope you decide to use what you have - it will eventually give you some payback that will ease the pain. Each year I use my points I get more value out of them that the MFs I pay in.

One real advantage of Hyatt is inventory in the Keys - so if you like the area it is not that hard to book outside of snowbird time.
Appreciate the encouragement thanks. I think it is very interesting that they offered me to get out of the maint (i.e. dissolve the obligation) a little while ago. I still wonder what they are up to, and given the track record, I can't imagine it is going to be a benefit to me. Sure, I like the keys just fine. I usually go to the plantation, and most of the time you can use the Hyatt Regency property rigth next door (of course you have to pay to park there now - I love being nickel and dimed to death).

alameda94501

TUG Member
Reaction score
[...] Inventory is not officially just at those two locations, not sure where you are getting that.

@audax one, very sorry to hear you stuck as an HPC buyer. I wrote a series of seven posts on the Portfolio Club last year (mainly from the perspective of a legacy HRC owner) and one of them went through the Legal Property Records to gain a picture of the HPC Inventory. Since Coconut Plantation is the next (and only known) HPC expansion, that's what I meant by "Wild Oak and Coconut Plantation" being the primary two properties. The post is as of June 2019, but only Coconut Plantation would be the difference, besides a small smattering of ROFR purchases by Hyatt.

Click here for the HRC and HPC Inventory Post

Also in case it is helpful, here are the other six posts.

Click here for the Introduction Post
Click here for the Request List, Wait List, and Reservations Post
Click here for the Annual Conversion Option Post
Click here for the Hyattizing and Developer Benefits Post
Click here for the Sales Tactics using the Reservation Site
Click here for the Maintenance Fee

audax one

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@audax one, very sorry to hear you stuck as an HPC buyer. I wrote a series of seven posts on the Portfolio Club last year (mainly from the perspective of a legacy HRC owner) and one of them went through the Legal Property Records to gain a picture of the HPC Inventory. Since Coconut Plantation is the next (and only known) HPC expansion, that's what I meant by "Wild Oak and Coconut Plantation" being the primary two properties. The post is as of June 2019, but only Coconut Plantation would be the difference, besides a small smattering of ROFR purchases by Hyatt.

Click here for the HRC and HPC Inventory Post

Also in case it is helpful, here are the other six posts.

Click here for the Introduction Post
Click here for the Request List, Wait List, and Reservations Post
Click here for the Annual Conversion Option Post
Click here for the Hyattizing and Developer Benefits Post
Click here for the Sales Tactics using the Reservation Site
Click here for the Maintenance Fee
This is a stunning amount of information, thank you. It is going to take some time to take it all in. I remember pressing them, hard, so I thought, for complete info when I was entangled in the sales process. I can see how woefully inadequate my efforts were now. What a mess. Thanks again.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a stunning amount of information, thank you. It is going to take some time to take it all in. I remember pressing them, hard, so I thought, for complete info when I was entangled in the sales process. I can see how woefully inadequate my efforts were now. What a mess. Thanks again.
As I recall, Hyatt provides HPP buyers with a "deed". That would seem to give comfort to a prospective buyer. Of course the deed is for points not real property. Can you imagine how the county clerk would react to someone attempting to record that deed!

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
Is HPP so bad that its not even worth $0?

1592088117679.png

audax one

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is HPP so bad that its not even worth $0?

View attachment 22088
Well, maybe. They don't shoot straight, that much is for sure. Would I have rescind if I could now? yes. I would. For me, I like going to the coconut plantation and when you do, you get to use the Hyatt Regency facilities next door, which are spectacular. They have black dates, so watch for that. If you can manage to utilize it at resort you like, and you enjoy it, I imagine (I hope) over time, you can justify the layout, not feel so bad about it. If you have not bought yet, I would say - stay away.

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
I'm currently closing on week 51 at Coconut Plantation at Bonita Springs, FL for $6,500. Hyatt just waived the sale last week so i'm good to go. I was reading about the HPP because it offered 1 night stays. I live in Orlando, FL and was considering HPP until i seen that all resorts are not apart of the HPP program.

audax one

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm currently closing on week 51 at Coconut Plantation at Bonita Springs, FL for $6,500. Hyatt just waived the sale last week so i'm good to go. I was reading about the HPP because it offered 1 night stays. I live in Orlando, FL and was considering HPP until i seen that all resorts are not apart of the HPP program.
Correct. There is a lot of bait and switch going on. They make you think "oh, you can go to any of these, anytime you want" but in reality, you cannot. They never talk about the "inventory" per the old programs, and how little inventory there actually is in the new program. Of course, you can use the old inventory if there is any available - for a additional cost, of course. They have lots of additional costs.

alameda94501

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, maybe. They don't shoot straight, that much is for sure. Would I have rescind if I could now? yes. I would. For me, I like going to the coconut plantation and when you do, you get to use the Hyatt Regency facilities next door, which are spectacular. They have black dates, so watch for that. If you can manage to utilize it at resort you like, and you enjoy it, I imagine (I hope) over time, you can justify the layout, not feel so bad about it. If you have not bought yet, I would say - stay away.

That's good, @audax one, that you like Coconut Plantation. Especially if/when the new extension in Coconut Plantation is complete, HPP owners have a strong advantage with all that HPP inventory. You'll get a six month headstart on the HPP inventory at Coconut Plantation and be dead-even in competing with HRC Legacy owners if you want to use their HRC inventory at Coconut Plantation (with the additional fees).

audax one

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's good, @audax one, that you like Coconut Plantation. Especially if/when the new extension in Coconut Plantation is complete, HPP owners have a strong advantage with all that HPP inventory. You'll get a six month headstart on the HPP inventory at Coconut Plantation and be dead-even in competing with HRC Legacy owners if you want to use their HRC inventory at Coconut Plantation (with the additional fees).
Sure. But only 25% of the property is "dedicated" to HPP at Coconut. It is pretty galling that, during the pitch, they make you think this is "so flexible, it is the equivalent to booking a hotel on a whim for a long weekend" - ha! Not even close. You need to plan you trip at least six months out, and God knows, plans never change, right!?

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
I may be off base here, being a non user of the points, use my weeks. But how can HPP trump an owned deeded week at Coconut plantation? That is to say if you lie it that much why not by?

audax one

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I may be off base here, being a non user of the points, use my weeks. But how can HPP trump an owned deeded week at Coconut plantation? That is to say if you lie it that much why not by?
I am not sure I understand your question, doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I am guessing you think HPP owners trump non-HPP owners - that is NOT the case at all. They "allow" HPP people to access non-HPP inventory IF IT IS AVAILABLE for the time you want to be there. Otherwise, HPP owner is out of luck (that should be their motto for HPP owners - "out of luck").

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
But how can HPP trump an owned deeded week at Coconut plantation? That is to say if you lie it that much why not by?

Not sure what this means either.

You will see in the links above an analysis of the rules for reservations and waitlists. With HPC and HRC owners trying to get access to availability from both pools, the analysis goes thru the 4 combinations of both types of owners vying for inventory in each pool. The following statement found in the analysis may address your question - is is found in "Case 2: HPC Requests/Reservations for HRC Inventory Pool"

"This is at the crux of how Hyatt (HVGG) favors the HPC. What the Club to Club Exchange Agreement says is simply: "HVGG shall maintain all request lists or wait lists in accordance with the respective Club’s rules."

But... in HRC we have an 18mo Request List for HRC Inventory and in HPC they have a 12mo Request List for HPC Inventory except for the Membership Tier Bonus.

So - 1) An HRC member has no Membership Tier so we don't get the bonus and so we get a 12mo Request List for HPC Inventory, and 2) An HPC member can put forth an 18mo Request List for HRC Inventory.
"

bradj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House
I am not sure I understand your question, doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I am guessing you think HPP owners trump non-HPP owners - that is NOT the case at all. They "allow" HPP people to access non-HPP inventory IF IT IS AVAILABLE for the time you want to be there. Otherwise, HPP owner is out of luck (that should be their motto for HPP owners - "out of luck").
And try exiting the HPP program. Talk about "out of luck." There's absolutely no established resale market. No value. Deeded owners beware and don't buy or convert. Deeded weeks at least have some value.

audax one

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am done. I put my points up on the redweek site, and just about gave it away for near nothing. What is the point? Why continue with an outfit that continues ridiculous "safety measures" - that's no vacation. Sayonara y'all - best of luck to you all. NEVER buy a timeshare.

Texx

Reaction score
Attended an owners' update presentation today on HPP. Sales agent was forthright and quite likable. Acknowledged that MF under HRC could be substantially lower than HPP, but hit on the "benefits" of HPP--points are good for several years, longer reservation periods, fewer charges/fees as compared to HRC, access to newly acquired Welk Resorts, access to new buildings at certain properties, opportunities to exchange for cruises and special events, and respectable WOH transfer rates. I think some of the benefits do have some worth--though certainly not at the very high price they were pushing for HPP points.

Reactions: Kal

audax one

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Attended an owners' update presentation today on HPP. Sales agent was forthright and quite likable. Acknowledged that MF under HRC could be substantially lower than HPP, but hit on the "benefits" of HPP--points are good for several years, longer reservation periods, fewer charges/fees as compared to HRC, access to newly acquired Welk Resorts, access to new buildings at certain properties, opportunities to exchange for cruises and special events, and respectable WOH transfer rates. I think some of the benefits do have some worth--though certainly not at the very high price they were pushing for HPP points.
Sorry, don't trust a word out of their mouths. I made my peace, took the bath, walked away. Repackaged lies are still lies.

Brindle

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am confused about the reservation period. I have a substantial number of banked 2021 HPP points that I want to use in just under at year. I have been told that since they are last year's points I can not use them until I am 6 month before the reservation. I have not made any other HPP reservations this year, though I converted my current years points to the world of hyatt program. I have the lowest tier of HPP-660 and prepandemic it allowed me to convert my fixed week to HPP which was useful. I can't understand why I can not book until 6 months before and assume what I want-which of course is now available- will be gone. Ellen Musinsky

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does every reservation require a house keeping fee of $60 plus $41 transaction fee even if you stay 7 nights with Hyatt Portfolio Program?

Fees
  • Transaction: $41.
  • Housekeeping: $60, payable to the resort upon departure.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does every reservation require a house keeping fee of $60 plus $41 transaction fee even if you stay 7 nights with Hyatt Portfolio Program?

Fees
  • Transaction: $41.
  • Housekeeping: $60, payable to the resort upon departure.
Starting from 6 months out HRC members can book Portfolio reservations, but you must pay the $41 transaction fee and a $60 housekeeping fee at check out. I've done this to book 6 night stays (Sunday -> Saturday) to avoid the Saturday penalty in points and it's worked out well...particularly considering that I would have had to pay the $39 split week fee.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am confused about the reservation period. I have a substantial number of banked 2021 HPP points that I want to use in just under at year. I have been told that since they are last year's points I can not use them until I am 6 month before the reservation. I have not made any other HPP reservations this year, though I converted my current years points to the world of hyatt program. I have the lowest tier of HPP-660 and prepandemic it allowed me to convert my fixed week to HPP which was useful. I can't understand why I can not book until 6 months before and assume what I want-which of course is now available- will be gone. Ellen Musinsky

You need to go into your account and see what bucket(s) your points are in. If they are RCUP or LCUP you can only make reservations 2 months into the future. HRPP/CUP points can book anything you see online. Points also expire - but the date range each group of points is active should be all listed in your account.

Online inventory lists both HRC and HPP points so there are rules about when you can book the opposite of what you own - but I would think if you can see it and have unrestricted points you can book it. There is a long thread on the rules of booking both depending on what you own. Another reason 6 months is discussed is because any HRC owned week not booked by 6 months out becomes available to everyone. An owner DOES have to reserve his own HRC unit. But some folks release their week as far as 12 months out by using some of their points.

So it is all about what you can see online, and if you have any restriction on those points (the 2 month limit).

Last edited:

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Just went to an Owner's update in Sedona. They are claiming that Marriott is buying a large number of properties to roll into the Hyatt program. Call me skeptical, but I don't see Marriott doing that. Do you know if their purchase agreement for ILG requires them to expand the Hyatt portfolio?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Just went to an Owner's update in Sedona. They are claiming that Marriott is buying a large number of properties to roll into the Hyatt program. Call me skeptical, but I don't see Marriott doing that. Do you know if their purchase agreement for ILG requires them to expand the Hyatt portfolio?
Also, They were trying to get the lady behind me to swap here eyoy deeded week at Sedona for 1320 points annually for $28K. I wanted to scream don't do it!!! They offered me 1000 points annually for $16K. They weren't happy when they found out I purchase on the resale market.