• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Portfolio Points Program

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Just went to an Owner's update in Sedona. They are claiming that Marriott is buying a large number of properties to roll into the Hyatt program. Call me skeptical, but I don't see Marriott doing that. Do you know if their purchase agreement for ILG requires them to expand the Hyatt portfolio?

Actually that is true. MVC is buying Welk Resorts to rebrand them as Hyatt. However, nobody including sales staff know how the system will interplay at this time.

Enjoy Sedona.

Best regards.

Mike

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just went to an Owner's update in Sedona. They are claiming that Marriott is buying a large number of properties to roll into the Hyatt program. Call me skeptical, but I don't see Marriott doing that. Do you know if their purchase agreement for ILG requires them to expand the Hyatt portfolio?
They probably mean the recent Welk acquisition

audax one

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Residence Club va Hyatt Portfolio Points program
Oh, in case anyone is considering unloading their crooked Points based timeshare on Red Week - I posted it for practically zero, just to get rid of it. someone took the bait, but Hyatt (Marriot now) exercised their ROFR - comes as no surprise. They get to sell it all over again to the next sucker. It's quite a racket.

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, in case anyone is considering unloading their crooked Points based timeshare on Red Week - I posted it for practically zero, just to get rid of it. someone took the bait, but Hyatt (Marriot now) exercised their ROFR - comes as no surprise. They get to sell it all over again to the next sucker. It's quite a racket.

We have had a terrible experience with the Portfolio Program. We owned a week with Hyatt and have for years. They suckered us into the program a few years back because it was "more flexible and fewer fees". This couldn't be further from the truth. Because we also own Marriott and see tremendous value in Destination Club Program, we were sold on the fact it was the a replicate program. Also couldn't be further from the truth. So for the past year and a half we have been trying to get rid of this small portfolio points purchase. And you are right - they have no value. We have written to Hyatt Corporate explaining to them all the problems - especially with someone that owns a week 52 - like we do. You have to make a decision almost two years out to convert our week, pay maintenance twice in the year, etc. The best they could do was have us meet with Sales in San Antonio. They offered us a great deal - giving them our Hyatt Carmel week 52 in exchange for the same number of Portfolio points with the added bonus that you have to pay them an extra 7,000. What?!? Are they out of their mind? At least the weeks are worth something and can be sold. The sales guy acted like I was crazy when I told him we have some value in keeping our week - no value with the points. And no buy back program with the points. My opinion is the program is pretty much a flop. Only three resorts with most of the inventory and some without any.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
We have had a terrible experience with the Portfolio Program. We owned a week with Hyatt and have for years. They suckered us into the program a few years back because it was "more flexible and fewer fees". This couldn't be further from the truth. Because we also own Marriott and see tremendous value in Destination Club Program, we were sold on the fact it was the a replicate program. Also couldn't be further from the truth. So for the past year and a half we have been trying to get rid of this small portfolio points purchase. And you are right - they have no value. We have written to Hyatt Corporate explaining to them all the problems - especially with someone that owns a week 52 - like we do. You have to make a decision almost two years out to convert our week, pay maintenance twice in the year, etc. The best they could do was have us meet with Sales in San Antonio. They offered us a great deal - giving them our Hyatt Carmel week 52 in exchange for the same number of Portfolio points with the added bonus that you have to pay them an extra 7,000. What?!? Are they out of their mind? At least the weeks are worth something and can be sold. The sales guy acted like I was crazy when I told him we have some value in keeping our week - no value with the points. And no buy back program with the points. My opinion is the program is pretty much a flop. Only three resorts with most of the inventory and some without any.
It sad how often that works. When I was at my "owner update" they offered me 1100 HPP for $16K. The lady behind me was looking at some deal for $30K she also had HRC. Of course they had a big wall of all the resorts including Hawaii, and of course they failed to mention you can't use HPP for Hawaii.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sad how often that works. When I was at my "owner update" they offered me 1100 HPP for $16K. The lady behind me was looking at some deal for $30K she also had HRC. Of course they had a big wall of all the resorts including Hawaii, and of course they failed to mention you can't use HPP for Hawaii.
I agree. I knew immediately I wasn’t going to take any deal like paying them for my prime week Carmel for the privilege of the Portfolio points. And these guys act like you are crazy when you say the week is worth more than the points.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree. I knew immediately I wasn’t going to take any deal like paying them for my prime week Carmel for the privilege of the Portfolio points. And these guys act like you are crazy when you say the week is worth more than the points.
In theory what is the advantage supposed to be for HPP over HRC? You already have your points with HRC plus your fixed week. Its almost like if your company said, hey why don't you trade in those six weeks of old obsolete vacation time and we will give you two "new" weeks of personal time you can use for anything you like. ;)

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
....Of course they had a big wall of all the resorts including Hawaii, and of course they failed to mention you can't use HPP for Hawaii.
I just attended Hyatt's presentation in Maui. It was well done, but the best part was they NEVER, EVER mentioned PORTFOLIO. It was pure HRC! I have been to many Hyatt presentations and this one was actually pretty good. I only touched my wallet to add in the $150 gift card.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just attended Hyatt's presentation in Maui. It was well done, but the best part was they NEVER, EVER mentioned PORTFOLIO. It was pure HRC! I have been to many Hyatt presentations and this one was actually pretty good. I only touched my wallet to add in the $150 gift card.
Were they trying to sell you a HRC unit at Maui or somewhere else? If you don't mind me asking, what was their "best" offer.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Were they trying to sell you a HRC unit at Maui or somewhere else? If you don't mind me asking, what was their "best" offer.
Definitely a sales pitch. All kinds of discounts especially for HRC owners. The best offer was Week 13, EOY, 2 BR, Mid Band Unit at ~$30,000; MF=$3,000 (EOY). There was a heavy emphasis on renting the unit for $1,600 per night (Hyatt rates). [A basic room next door at the Hyatt Regency goes for >$500/night]. They claim the ROI would be 6 years.

Last edited:

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely a sales pitch. All kinds of discounts especially for HRC owners. The best offer was Week 13, EOY, 2 BR, Mid Band Unit at ~$30,000; MF=$3,000 (EOY). There was a heavy emphasis on renting the unit for $1,600 per night (Hyatt rates). [A basic room next door at the Hyatt Regency goes for >$500/night]. They claim the ROI would be 6 years.
Sales seems to like to play the rental card, Of course what we have found is things don’t usually rent for even close to what the hotel next door rents for - not talking Maui but in general. One year we tried to rent our Marriott Vacation Club through Marriott rentals. They wouldn’t even offer enough to cover our maintenance. Even with the 60/40 split it wasn’t even close to what Marriott was listing for online. So we didn’t accept the offer. We have had same issue renting at Carmel. Hotel rents for 800 plus tax a night during our week (and CA taxes are hefty) - yet on rental sites no one is even in same ballpark as the cost is pretty much based solely on covering some maintenance (not recouping the buy in amount at all).

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
So a question on someone that only owned Portfolio - would there be any situation where they might see Hawaii availability? Or any other property with no Portfolio inventory? Like if a Hawaii owner joined Portfolio and converted their week into Portfolio Points - would it show up in PP bucket? It seems like from the HRC side you can see Portfolio inventory? Is it released to all a certain number of months out? The inventory buckets are still a bit vague. Destination Club program with MVCI so much smoother than Portfolio.

alameda94501

TUG Member
Reaction score
So a question on someone that only owned Portfolio - would there be any situation where they might see Hawaii availability? Or any other property with no Portfolio inventory? Like if a Hawaii owner joined Portfolio and converted their week into Portfolio Points - would it show up in PP bucket? It seems like from the HRC side you can see Portfolio inventory? Is it released to all a certain number of months out? The inventory buckets are still a bit vague. Destination Club program with MVCI so much smoother than Portfolio.

Yes, that's the theory. Members of Portfolio have substantive inventory in Wild Oak and Coconut Plantation, and Portfolio members have an internal trade option six months ahead in what is called ORP, then release to the general HRC side for the last six months, as is usual for legacy. If an HRC member converts for a year they give up their week into the Portfolio inventory along this timing.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Sales seems to like to play the rental card, Of course what we have found is things don’t usually rent for even close to what the hotel next door rents for - not talking Maui but in general. One year we tried to rent our Marriott Vacation Club through Marriott rentals. They wouldn’t even offer enough to cover our maintenance. Even with the 60/40 split it wasn’t even close to what Marriott was listing for online. So we didn’t accept the offer. We have had same issue renting at Carmel. Hotel rents for 800 plus tax a night during our week (and CA taxes are hefty) - yet on rental sites no one is even in same ballpark as the cost is pretty much based solely on covering some maintenance (not recouping the buy in amount at all).

Indeed, the "owners" rentals do not come near that of a Hyatt rental. I believe that is because owner rentals usually do not have the more flexible cancellation policies, and the perception of private being more risky, less guaranteed that that of the brand. And along with owners who are just happy to dump their week to cover maintenance fees, profits are being left on the table. (not a complaint) I can relate that currently our weeks rent for at least 6700.00 plus resort fees per week through Hyatt while privately they are listed about 2700-3000, no resort fees, for the same product.
The portfolio points, we have been to a couple of updates, I find of little value, if any. But I still enjoyed the (at the time) $150.00 voucher, tour tokens and a free ride close to our breakfast destination, all for 45 minutes of our time.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Indeed, the "owners" rentals do not come near that of a Hyatt rental. I believe that is because owner rentals usually do not have the more flexible cancellation policies, and the perception of private being more risky, less guaranteed that that of the brand. And along with owners who are just happy to dump their week to cover maintenance fees, profits are being left on the table. (not a complaint) I can relate that currently our weeks rent for at least 6700.00 plus resort fees per week through Hyatt while privately they are listed about 2700-3000, no resort fees, for the same product.
The portfolio points, we have been to a couple of updates, I find of little value, if any. But I still enjoyed the (at the time) $150.00 voucher, tour tokens and a free ride close to our breakfast destination, all for 45 minutes of our time.
At one time the pitch was to use the points to stay literally anywhere. The rental option just wasn't mentioned. Now renting your unit is a key option. The inflated numbers provide an excuse to consider the purchase as an "investment" with a short ROI. They tease with the profitable rental rates, but never go thru the details of how it really works. The bottom line remains that purchasing a timeshare is NOT an investment. More like a money hole.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
I signed up for $200 in the court yard / pool area Kiosk of the Hyatt Hotel in Key West - Old Town, about 2 years ago now.

And be sure not to confuse an "Owners Update with a "Members Update" The members update being a meeting with the Resort Manager or other staff for updates on the (their) resort, conditions. Such as planed updates etc. i.e. Is not (or should not be) a sales pitch in any way.

I meet a couple at HRC Maui who were new owners and staying for the second time, and they knew nothing about "their" club, and said they did not go to the "Member's Update" thinking it was just another sales pitch. I did clue them they should always try to attend their resorts Members Update meeting (or others that they are staying at) to get the update on the Resort and Hyatt club news from the resort management and that it is not or should NOT be a sales meeting from HRC sales personnel.

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I succumbed last week at an owners update and bought the minimum HPP points. Mainly cause would like a way to bank the points due to stuff happening and not being able to travel. Fortunately we rescinded in time. In fact we sent 2 letters, the first 2 days ago, and the 2nd letter today returning the publications & even the bag they gave on day of purchase.

We weren't sure about needing to send back the books, but I happened to see a Wyndham thread about rescinding, and one post recommended sending the stuff back to prevent the developer from charging for them.

My questions:
1. Will Hyatt send a reply on the revision? Or will we just have to watch for a credit applied to our credit card?
2. Approximately how long does it take to get a refund or credit back to our card?

Thanks much !

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My impression from sales last week, is that Marriott is not giving up on HPP. And with the completed sale of Welk, will roll out a new sales strategy as soon as they can.
It was still nearly $20/pt, and sales stated the points MF is about $1/ pt. In their printed info, several months old, there are the equivalent of approx 92 full year units in the trust. About the size of Pinon Point, so about 10-12 resorts worth are not in trust. Avg point value/ unit is almost 1800.

We own 2 developer Vistana units ( 1 retro'ed) , and even tho' developer, will most likely have to pay to play in any Marriott-Vistana overlay program. I dislike the Marriott skim, however it is probably a little more benefit of the 2 points trust programs :ponder:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We briefly considered it as the 3 Hyatt weeks we own start in different months June Oct and and Jan. Having all the points consolidated is a plus. That being said we mainly use exchanges into Maui, Breckinridge, and Siesta Key with onlly short trips to Pinon Pointe. The points program doesnt have the inventory for our favored resorts

Texx

Reaction score
Attended an owners updated last week. The representative emphasized the availability and flexibility of the Portfolio Program. He then signed into our account, and his account (with portfolio), and showed us the additional availability of units in various locales under the Portfolio Program. I don't know how he did it, but there was significant more availability in certain locations, including in Colorado under his login. Did not run a search for Hawaii weeks.

Said that HRC will not have access to Welk resorts.

Indicated that Portfolio members could rent their weeks, and gave some examples. I know these presentations are spin--but the presentation was well done. Offered points around 21 bucks with point prices supposed to up shortly. Said the trade in response from HRC to exhange weeks into portfolio has been overwhelming. Said that HRC can only see portfolio listings on a temporary basis and they would be cut off at some point.

Last edited:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
$13,000 gets you entry into the Portfolio Program with 600 points.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Attended an owners updated last week. The representative emphasized the availability and flexibility of the Portfolio Program. He then signed into our account, and his account (with portfolio), and showed us the additional availability of units in various locales under the Portfolio Program. I don't know how he did it, but there was significant more availability in certain locations, including in Colorado under his login. Did not run a search for Hawaii weeks.

Indicated that Portfolio members could rent their weeks, and gave some examples. I know these presentations are spin--but the presentation was well done. Offered points around 21 bucks with point prices supposed to up shortly. Said the trade in response from HRC to exhange weeks into portfolio has been overwhelming. Said that HRC can only see portfolio listings on a temporary basis and they would be cut off at some point.

We got pretty much the same presentation a couple of months ago. Same price at around $20.50 something a point, 660 pts minimum. MF for those points was in vicinity of $750. I think our guy said HRC could see HPP too, but don't remember how far in advance. I think the weeks he pulled up for Colorado were summer - fall weeks.

We bought and rescinded. In the material we got, I looked at the points, # of weeks I the trust. It calculated to an average value of about 1875 per week. Hardly any Pinon Pt in trust. A lot of Windward Pt, Wild Oak, and smaller #s of other Key West, and Carmel.
Of course the info was several months old, so could have changed a little.

Last edited:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland

They did a Hawaii search for us using portfolio and club and said look how many more hits in Maui with portfolio. I pointed out that all the portfolio hits were for 1 day all Saturdays and many points for 1 day. Still confused why there would be 1 day availability in Maui though

Texx

Reaction score
They did a Hawaii search for us using portfolio and club and said look how many more hits in Maui with portfolio. I pointed out that all the portfolio hits were for 1 day all Saturdays and many points for 1 day. Still confused why there would be 1 day availability in Maui though
The Maui one day is interesting and perplexing. Our sales agent said they had Maui weeks available for HPP—not sure that means HRC members in Hawaii exchanged their weeks or if actual weeks are in trust. What was clear to me after the presentation is that Marriott is committed to HPP for at least the time being.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My understanding, based mostly on threads here on TUG, is there are no Maui units in the trust. What you are seeing is people gaming the system by enrolling their owned Maui week, then using six of the seven days. This knocks the 2200 point week down to something like 1320 points for six days.