• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Portfolio Points Program

Texx

Reaction score
My understanding, based mostly on threads here on TUG, is there are no Maui units in the trust. What you are seeing is people gaming the system by enrolling their owned Maui week, then using six of the seven days. This knocks the 2200 point week down to something like 1320 points for six days.
Awe. Brilliant. When they ran the search for Aspen there were a number of single days available on HPP. Sounds like the same thing may be happening there?

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Awe. Brilliant. When they ran the search for Aspen there were a number of single days available on HPP. Sounds like the same thing may be happening there?
Probably. It could also be regular HRC members booking the six day availability. Inside of six months, we (HRC folk) have the same ability to book six day HPP stays.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That could be the case. However, there is a decent amount of aspen inventory in HPP. If I had HPP I would always book the 6 night stays, so my guess is that for a lot of those it's the HPP members being smart about their membership.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably. It could also be regular HRC members booking the six day availability. Inside of six months, we (HRC folk) have the same ability to book six day HPP stays.
I have done this for Hyatt Coconut Plantation a few times. It was great. I really didn't miss that seventh night and saved a bundle of points. I did feel a little bad, but not bad enough to not do it.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
My understanding, based mostly on threads here on TUG, is there are no Maui units in the trust. What you are seeing is people gaming the system by enrolling their owned Maui week, then using six of the seven days. This knocks the 2200 point week down to something like 1320 points for six days.
So if someone who owned in Maui put 1 day in portfolio they could book the rest of their 6 days of their week for 1320 pts? Or do they put their whole week in portfolio and exchange in. I am confused how this works

dmelcher13

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
So if someone who owned in Maui put 1 day in portfolio they could book the rest of their 6 days of their week for 1320 pts? Or do they put their whole week in portfolio and exchange in. I am confused how this works

They would have put the whole week in portfolio at which point they’d have a near zero chance of being able to rebook that exact deposit with portfolio points less the one day. I’d assume some other lucky portfolio owner snaps it up with a request list.

Beyond me why on Earth a Maui owner would convert their week to portfolio in the first place.

bradj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House
Attended an owners updated last week. The representative emphasized the availability and flexibility of the Portfolio Program. He then signed into our account, and his account (with portfolio), and showed us the additional availability of units in various locales under the Portfolio Program. I don't know how he did it, but there was significant more availability in certain locations, including in Colorado under his login. Did not run a search for Hawaii weeks.

Said that HRC will not have access to Welk resorts.

Indicated that Portfolio members could rent their weeks, and gave some examples. I know these presentations are spin--but the presentation was well done. Offered points around 21 bucks with point prices supposed to up shortly. Said the trade in response from HRC to exhange weeks into portfolio has been overwhelming. Said that HRC can only see portfolio listings on a temporary basis and they would be cut off at some point.
Texx, Based on your post about your owner update, I've only got one thing to say: RUN, FORREST, RUN! Before considering the "flexability" of the HPP, do some homework on the resale. Availability? Good luck with that. Popular seasonal locations, nearly impossible with HPP, or no inventory available at all. As far as HRC exchanging points into HPP being "overwhelming," your rep ought to be in jail for perjury. With a concurrent sentence for highway robbery. With HPP points being so expensive, my opinion would be to buy a deeded week resale somewhere you might want to stay at on Redweek. Other times, use those points to trade within the Hyatt Residence Club system. Save yourself a boatload of money. I think you've gotten a lot of real bad information.

Texx

Reaction score
Texx, Based on your post about your owner update, I've only got one thing to say: RUN, FORREST, RUN! Before considering the "flexability" of the HPP, do some homework on the resale. Availability? Good luck with that. Popular seasonal locations, nearly impossible with HPP, or no inventory available at all. As far as HRC exchanging points into HPP being "overwhelming," your rep ought to be in jail for perjury. With a concurrent sentence for highway robbery. With HPP points being so expensive, my opinion would be to buy a deeded week resale somewhere you might want to stay at on Redweek. Other times, use those points to trade within the Hyatt Residence Club system. Save yourself a boatload of money. I think you've gotten a lot of real bad information.

Texx

Reaction score
Brad. Thanks for your comments. Definitely not biting on the puffery, but the thing I am struggling with was when the sales agent ran a search on both my HRC account and his account which had portfolio. His account pulled up 30 to 40 vacancies in Aspen and my HRC showed none.

I had a response to all his other half truths, but not the search.

bradj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House
Brad. Thanks for your comments. Definitely not biting on the puffery, but the thing I am struggling with was when the sales agent ran a search on both my HRC account and his account which had portfolio. His account pulled up 30 to 40 vacancies in Aspen and my HRC showed none.

Only believe what you can personally verify. I've been a HRC owner (previously HVC) for over 20 years. Gone through a lot of changes. HPP is not a good one. The $21 points have virtually no established resale value at all. Deeded weeks do, and you can buy a deeded week with points for a multiple of many, many times less. Lots of Platinum (2000) and Diamond (2200) points available in the low to mid $1000s. With many in good locations and seasons. Recommended realtors listed on various threads on this site might be helpful if you were interested in a purchase. They also would likely reinforce the pitfalls of HPP. I found two of my resales myself several years back on E bay. Many resales available on multiple web sites since Covid.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score

Was The availability for more than six months in the future? If so, that is the reason. HPP has units in Aspen.

Texx

Reaction score
Was The availability for more than six months in the future? If so, that is the reason. HPP has units in Aspen.
Yes. It was over Presidents weekend. That would explain it.

Last edited:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland

Aspen is in the PP program but we get in with club points at 6 mos and if not we get into Breckenridge. Most of the resorts in PP seem to have a lot of openings in club as well

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Attended an owners updated last week. The representative emphasized the availability and flexibility of the Portfolio Program. He then signed into our account, and his account (with portfolio), and showed us the additional availability of units in various locales under the Portfolio Program. I don't know how he did it, but there was significant more availability in certain locations, including in Colorado under his login. Did not run a search for Hawaii weeks.

Said that HRC will not have access to Welk resorts.

Indicated that Portfolio members could rent their weeks, and gave some examples. I know these presentations are spin--but the presentation was well done. Offered points around 21 bucks with point prices supposed to up shortly. Said the trade in response from HRC to exchange weeks into portfolio has been overwhelming. Said that HRC can only see portfolio listings on a temporary basis and they would be cut off at some point.

Portfolio Program has a boat load of trust units/inventory at select resorts (Windward, Coconut, Wild Oak, Aspen and Highlands Inn) - however Portfolio has limited trust units/inventory at other resorts (Sunset Harbor, Beach House, High Sierra and Sedona) - no trust units/inventory at Maui, Siesta Key and Puerto Rico - will pick up a fair number of trust units/inventory at Northstar once Welk is integrated into Hyatt. The key in the HPP sales pitch regarding availability is to search at locations that HPP has lots of units in the trust and to limit the search window to 6 months out. By limiting the search to 6 months out, any HPP owned unit that still "fresh" (is within 6 months of issuance of its points) will be blocked from view. Similar to how HRC legacy owners have priority with their deeded week during the 6 month HRPP window, HPP has priority for 6 months of each week's points issuance date. Once HRC and HPP units have aged 6 months from issuance of their respective points, it becomes open season as both HRC and HPP have equal access to each other’s system.

Regarding "HRC will not have access to Welk resorts". Yes/No - depending on what scenario is used to define access, the sales staff did totally lie. The Welk properties are 75% Trust/Points and 25% Deeded/Legacy. Once Welk Trust and Legacy weeks are integrated into the Hyatt program, it will be the same as the current HRC vs HPP access scenario. Points owners will have priority to Trust weeks for the first 6 months of the week's life - and Deeded week owners will have the same priority for their legacy weeks for the first 6 months of the week's life. Once HRC and HPP units have aged 6 months from issuance of their respective points, it becomes open season as both HRC and HPP have equal access to each other’s system.

Regarding "the trade in response from HRC to exchange weeks into portfolio has been overwhelming". I'm going to throw the BS card on this one. Based on what I've heard from HRC owners that have attended the HPP sales pitch, the vast majority (90%) have not bought into HPP. And the few that did buy into HPP that I've talked to have been disappointed in the HPP program. Note that I have talked to one HRC/HPP owner that says HPP is working great for them. While HPP has merit for some people, very few of them have been showing up here on TUG as the majority of HPP posts have been on the negative side.

Regarding "HRC can only see portfolio listings on a temporary basis and they would be cut off at some point". I say this is TOTAL BS. While HPP has a lot of weeks in the Trust, there are also a boat load of Deeded/Legacy weeks that HPP wants/needs access to. Cutting off Deeded/Legacy access is "Pointless". AKA: Stupid.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score

There is a points premium on the 3 short stay (includes a Saturday night) in HRC. Since HPP can book any number of days, HPP took the Saturday point premium to a new point value level! I'm not sure of the MO behind the crazy HPP Saturday point value - but I'd love to hear it.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a points premium on the 3 short stay (includes a Saturday night) in HRC. Since HPP can book any number of days, HPP took the Saturday point premium to a new point value level! I'm not sure of the MO behind the crazy HPP Saturday point value - but I'd love to hear it.
I have no idea what the individuals who designed HPP were thinking (on a variety of things). I just know there is the ability to game the system using it.

ivywag

TUG Member
Reaction score
I took a look at all remaining inventory at HSL for the remainder of the summer—through Sept.30, 2021—end of the highly sought after summer season. All 6 available units were 1 night Portfolio units. June-September are high season at HSL so the Portfolio Program is impacting inventory. Also, on a different topic, while staying at Hyatt Northstar last week we attended a Welk sales presentation. The sales ”closer” said that 63,000 Welk owners are “chomping at the bit” to get their hands on the Hyatt inventory. He said that there will be a “mass invasion!” Of course, he had no further information but didn’t think that anything would change for the next 18 months.