• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
As the owner of a 3BR at MGV, I can say we've gotten great trades with the studio and also with a 2BR. However, in the last year or two we haven't gotten any of our trade requests though. I think the points program is having an adverse affect on trading.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at buying my first timeshare and considering buying a 3 BR platinum week at Marriott Grand Chateau. I would never stay in Vegas, always exchange. Buying in for low MFs

The decision is between buying an every other year or annual.

If buying EOY I would lockoff into 1 and 2 BR and trade so that I could travel each year but only pay MF every other year.

If buying annual I would lockoff and trade the 2BR and try to rent out the 1BR.

Does anyone have an opinion/advice on which is the best route? Seems the annual with renting 1 BR is ideal but not sure how successful renting a 1BR would be or how much I can expect to rent out for.

Keep in mind that your closing costs are highly likely to be exactly the same whether you purchase an Every Year Villa, or an Every Other Year Villa (EOY).

With that said, I personally would want to purchase an annual use Villa. Your reasons may differ, and your use may not require annual needs.

Good luck and please keep us posted....

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your observations are interesting, but I think it may be too early to determine if the blame can be exactly placed upon the points system (which was put into effect in June of 2010).

The reason I believe that Interval International is alive and well with Marriott trades is that traditional resale weeks (since 2010) are rarely eligible to be enrolled into the points system (unless you sign up for one of those special deals thru Marriott and spend a whole bunch of money).

Thus, this ultimately means that a very high percentage of resale weeks are not eligible for points, and Interval International's pool of Marriott weeks available may in fact be actually somewhat starting to grow.

Another interesting tidbit is Marriott now owns 100% of Interval International, and they need that Company to remain successful. Available Marriott weeks in the Interval pool do give Interval a juicy menu to select from for the Interval customers.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
As the owner of a 3BR at MGV, I can say we've gotten great trades with the studio and also with a 2BR. However, in the last year or two we haven't gotten any of our trade requests though. I think the points program is having an adverse affect on trading.
I am rather surprised by this. I had two concurrent exchange requests in to Newport Coast for Memorial Week 2020. One using a 1BR MGV and the other a 2BR Harbour Lake. For whatever reason, II called me about these a few weeks ago. I usually don't put a lot in to the calls from II because they usually are just trying to offer some lesser resort or unit. I mainly had the two requests out there because I was hoping that I could get the 2BR Newport Coast using our 1BR deposit that also expires earlier than the 2BR. I knew I would have an upgrade fee.

They rep asked if I was looking for concurrent or consecutive weeks. Not wanting to tip my hand that I was hoping to game the system :), I said I was looking for concurrent weeks. The rep said they had a Newport Coast week with a Sunday checkin (which wasn't ideal for us as we would have preferred Saturday). I asked the rep if my 1BR unit would pull it and he said it would and made the trade. I just had to pay the $99 upgrade fee. I left the other request using the 2BR out there and glad I did. I really didn't need the second week. A couple days ago II called and left a message. I called them back and they said that they had another match. I am not sure why they didn't just match it automatically. I think it may have been because it was concurrent week requests with different checkin days. This time it was for the Saturday checkin. I asked them if I could instead retrade the prior trade using the 1BR in to the 2BR since I already had paid the upgrade fee. After being put on hold several times he confirmed the retrade and I asked him to cancel the other request. So this worked out great. Two matches to Newport Coast for Memorial week. I am sure someone else go the Sunday checkin that I tossed back.

Last edited:

4Sunsets

Reaction score
This is absolutely 100% false.

Um, read the qualifiers previously stated. My comments are with regard to Marriott properties only. But you are partly right, I should have qualified that season matters. Platinum, etc

4Sunsets

Reaction score
I think 4sunsets was referring specifically to studios, but your comments still apply IMO. Never heard that all studios trade the same.

I was referring to studios traded in. Also specifically to Marriott properties only. AND I should have qualified season matters. A platinum season studio is a platinum season studio wherever.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Given that Interval demand ratings are unique to the resort, I would think a Hawaii studio would trade better than a platinum Marriott interval Silver logo resort studio, e.g., Vail.

Not sure why a studio would be all equal, if 1BR and 2BR are not.

Then again I’ve never asked Interval....

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I was referring to studios traded in. Also specifically to Marriott properties only. AND I should have qualified season matters. A platinum season studio is a platinum season studio wherever.
So you are stating that resort location doesn't matter, or that the unit view doesn't matter?

Wade

Reaction score
All I’m making the decision to buy. I’m working with Diane Nadeau from timeshare broker sales. Targeting 3 BR at MGC, platinum season, every other year for $3000

I figure I can recoup my money in a couple trips and if I don’t like things or exchanges are hard I can sell and get most if not all my money back.

Any hints/tips as I go through the buying process?

Wade

Reaction score
All I’m making the decision to buy. I’m working with Diane Nadeau from timeshare broker sales. Targeting 3 BR at MGC, platinum season, every other year for $3000

I figure I can recoup my money in a couple trips and if I don’t like things or exchanges are hard I can sell and get most if not all my money back.

Any hints/tips as I go through the buying process?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice. I’m considering buying into a legacy platinum week at Marriott Grande Vista. 3 bedroom every other year. Plan is to use 2 bedroom unit and exchange the lock off portion on II for use on my off years(I think I would be exchanging a studio?).

Is this a good plan? Would the lock off portion exchange well on II and for my 2 bedrooom can I easily exchange for other 2 bedroom Marriott resorts. If exchanging for other Marriott resorts and do I have to it through II?

Appreciate any help. I’ve not owned a timeshare before and trying to do my homework. I’ve got a wife and 2 kids under 5 and trying to find the best way to provide vacation for the fam.
I would not buy a 3 BR EOY for this. I might do a 2 BR EY and trade as a or 2 units on off years. You could also buy elsewhere maybe GC or somewhere you'd want to stay off years and trade to GV routinely. I likely would not join II just for 1 EOY trade so I'd go through an independent if needed. Or you could buy two EOY locations that you'd use both.

Um, the II system (as it currently) exists does NOT care where your unit is located. Buyer beware, however, Marriott bought II and other properties it bought have completely different and IMHO more honest rules. Those rules as an example: value your trade as points, and then give you the same value back for use. Much more fair, especially if you say put in a $399 a night hawaii studio platinum/summer unit vs a silver winter season grande vista studio.
II does care, trade power is determined by location, unit size, lead time for the deposit and resort quality/rating. A points system is more honest, it may or may not be more fair depending.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what happens! Yes, points would be more fair. It's frustrating to trade in a Hawaii studio and than have to pay to upgrade to 1 or 2 bedroom that costs LESS per day in actuality than the Hawaii studio. I think a lot of others are on the reverse of this though, they get a Hawaii or something else by trading w/o having to pay extra. W Marriott owning I suspect a lot of changes are ahead for II.

For me, II results in too many fees the past few years. I hope the OP finds value in the trades though. One thing someone mentioned it wouldn't be worth joining II for an EOY, but I would disagree if that was your only option as you must be a member of II during the time you use and it can get hard to find a unit you want. We just finally traded a studio that we had exchanged in 3 years ago. One of several obviously, but to keep the unit exchange active the whole time we needed to be members and to use the newly exchanged unit months from now, we needed to be members then too.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what happens! Yes, points would be more fair. It's frustrating to trade in a Hawaii studio and than have to pay to upgrade to 1 or 2 bedroom that costs LESS per day in actuality than the Hawaii studio. I think a lot of others are on the reverse of this though, they get a Hawaii or something else by trading w/o having to pay extra. W Marriott owning I suspect a lot of changes are ahead for II.

For me, II results in too many fees the past few years. I hope the OP finds value in the trades though. One thing someone mentioned it wouldn't be worth joining II for an EOY, but I would disagree if that was your only option as you must be a member of II during the time you use and it can get hard to find a unit you want. We just finally traded a studio that we had exchanged in 3 years ago. One of several obviously, but to keep the unit exchange active the whole time we needed to be members and to use the newly exchanged unit months from now, we needed to be members then too.
I doubt we'll see big changes but I'm sure we'll see some, they'll have to run II independently and not just for the benefit of the MVC system or members. Almost no trades are truly equal and if they are, the fees and lower priority unit assignments make them not equal. As for trading say a high demand HI studio to a lower demand Orlando studio, I think most here would rent out the HI studio and look at other options to get the Orlando studio or they'd upgrade it where the fees make more sense. The RCI system works similar in many ways but does give you options and is a little more transparent. The way II currently works you may not qualify for a given exchange, or may only qualify as you get closer, but II won't tell you. So you may be waiting around for months waiting on an exchange you have zero chance of matching to because of trade power and/or resort quality while that unit may come and go several times and even go to a non Marriott exchanger rather than to a Marriott exchanger using a studio or any lower demand option.

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a 2BR lock off at GV. Just book whatever II has as the highest travel demand index. Ive never traded my studio for anything less than a 2BR unit. I traded my 1BR for a 3BR at Lakeshore Reserve for next March 14. Using a studio for Grand Ocean Thanksgiving week this year. II loves Grande Vista.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
How many points is a 3BR MGC worth if it were an enrolled week?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently traded a dsv2 1BR for a 2BR at Crystal Shores, was pleased with that trade. I still get decent ones. For the studio I traded that back into a 1BR at the same resort.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got 1 BR Kauia beach club for DSV2 lockoff in April 2020. Happy, will extend by 5 weekdays via points to make 12.

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP I’m not sure that the will help you but we live a five hour drive+ from the Grand Vista and have been trading in there in the winter the last few years using our studio from our two bedroom at the Grand Chateau in Las Vegas.

In 2020 we will be in a two bedroom at the GV on 2/20 using the GC studio. This year we were at the GV using the studio for a three bedroom at the end of January. The one bedroom will take us to the Summit Watch in Park City in July, a place substantially cooler then where we live.

I am thinking about getting a place at the Grand Vista but I’m not sure I want to pay the II fees to re-join and then trade.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Staying at Waiohai in a 2 bedroom using a 1 BR MGC. Was a great trade in my opinion!! Got lucky last year and bought an MGC 3 BR lockoff for $3000 (an every year - not every other year). Passed ROFR. Was super excited, and am enjoying this trip! Kids loving the place! Wish Marriott had a timeshare on the north shore. II hardly gets summer deposits for Westin Princeville. There aren't any Westin/Marriott quality resorts on the north shore of Kauai... Off topic now - sorry.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
II does care, trade power is determined by location, unit size, lead time for the deposit and resort quality/rating. A points system is more honest, it may or may not be more fair depending.
I agree with you.
My Branson Marriott studio and one bedroom does not trade as well as my ocean point or BeachPlace Tower studio and one bedroom. Both are platinum season reserved high TDI weeks deposited.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with you.
My Branson Marriott studio and one bedroom does not trade as well as my ocean point or BeachPlace Tower studio and one bedroom. Both are platinum season reserved high TDI weeks deposited.
There really are 2 ways to look this, technically and practically. This issue has come up a few times since I've been routinely back on the boards here. If you get what you want then it really isn't an issue but in reality you don't know what you might have missed with even a modestly lower trade power, esp when trying to upgrade (size, season, resort quality). While things could have changed with II recently, as of a couple of years ago they had 2 general qualifying principles, trade power and resort quality and once determined, they worked somewhat independently. In some cases you might have the trade power but not sufficient (or too high) resort quality and you wouldn't match regardless or might match much later as they eased up requirements as the dates get closer. In the past II has had 2 internal resort quality rating systems that were not public, an ABC and a % one. Of course none of us have the actual information or likely know if they have made changes with the points, short stays and upgrade charges. I personally feel the technicalities are more important than some here do. The difference in a trade power of say 17 vs 24 (using RCI's TPU system as reference) likely won't make much difference for most things but it will for some things even with the internal MVC preference, esp when trying to upgrade size. That's why I'm skeptical about the touted trading for GC or Williamsburg, while it likely won't go the way of South Africa, I do think it'll make a difference in some cases even if only the speed at which you match.

If only they'd standardize the TDI so that you could at least compare trade power, you can guess at resort quality with the other info out there. That's why I sold my Harbour Pointe week 35, it didn't trade very well to higher end resorts further out. IIRC I got MGO with it twice, once online about 6 weeks out and once on a priority search when they "accidentally" cancelled my search.