• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Arriving Guest Information [merged]

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My comment was about the post on VPE, not VPE itself. VPE is a great resource and very easy. The post with >10 levels of offering prices is way over the top.
If you are referring that more than >10 levels of offering prices makes it complicated, it is so much more straight forward than going to Redweek to look for a week to rent. 52 weeks a year and there are probably >30 levels of offering prices with various check-in dates and seasons. The way I see it, when you rent a point, a point is a point, other than ensuring that the anniversary month is what you want.

igopogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are referring that more than >10 levels of offering prices makes it complicated, it is so much more straight forward than going to Redweek to look for a week to rent. 52 weeks a year and there are probably >30 levels of offering prices with various check-in dates and seasons. The way I see it, when you rent a point, a point is a point, other than ensuring that the anniversary month is what you want.
Not to belabor the point, but I was talking about the single post on VPE that was quoted earlier that had one person wanting points, offering more than ten different prices based on ownership level and time to expiration. Not a criticism of the VPE market at all, just one VPE poster. I find VPE quite valuable and straightforward.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Has anything changed for adding guest names to reservation when you are making a points reservations? I typically add the names when I make the initial reservation.
I received some clarification on this today.

I had an existing points ressy made a while back for Newport Coast in late May, and when I made the ressy, I added my daughter and son-in-law (both use his last name) as additional guests, as they will be the ones using the ressy. In the past, no issue at check in as their names are on the ressy.

So in the reply to my submission on the pre-arrival email a few days ago, it says this....
“This reservation is for the Fasttr family, any modifications to the reservation need to go through owner services and could result in a need to submit new requests.”

So I reach out to the rooms control person who sent the email, noting that I added their names to the ressy when I made it, and their names are listed on both the MVC and Marriott confirmations, so is that fine, or do I still need to contact Owner Services and fill out the new Arriving Guest form.

Her reply was.....
If their name is on the reservation, they will have no issue checking in. That statement is if you completely change the name then you would need to submit that change through Owner Services.

So to summarize, any guests you add at the time of booking a points ressy should be able to check in without issue.

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just had to fill out one of these forms for some friends that will be using our unit. I guess what confuses me is the language that states if their information can't be confirmed they may not be able to check-in. What does this mean exactly? Sounds kind of invasive? Are they going to look them up by address and see if they look legit? Just strange seeming, that's all. Not to mention it feels like you are signing your life away to let a friend or family member or renter use your unit.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just had to fill out one of these forms for some friends that will be using our unit. I guess what confuses me is the language that states if their information can't be confirmed they may not be able to check-in. What does this mean exactly? Sounds kind of invasive? Are they going to look them up by address and see if they look legit? Just strange seeming, that's all. Not to mention it feels like you are signing your life away to let a friend or family member or renter use your unit.
For me the biggest issue with this is It says the name changes need to be made more than 30 days or guests may not be able to check in. That is total BS. I don't really ever need to do that but I assume a good amount do this from time to time so if that becomes a problem I see a big fight from customers on that one. As for the commercial language, Marriott for sure, and likely other TS companies would be hard pressed to win a court case unless someone is truly a commercial enterprise because of how they use the "buy more to rent" sales pitch. Someone could literally get 1000s of affidavits stating such and they would open themselves up to a class action lawsuit.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me the biggest issue with this is It says the name changes need to be made more than 30 days or guests may not be able to check in. That is total BS. I don't really ever need to do that but I assume a good amount do this from time to time so if that becomes a problem I see a big fight on that one. As for the commercial language, Marriott for sure, and likely other TS companies would be hard pressed to win a court case unless someone is truly a commercial enterprise because of how they use the "buy more to rent" sales pitch. Someone could literally get 1000s of affidavits stating such and they would open themselves up to a class action lawsuit.
I agree. We have had a time or two when we were not able to use our reservation last minute and asked some Florida friends if they wanted to use it. So yes, the 30 day window could definitely be an issue. And I am reading this is all because Marriott has not gotten their act together to make this a form that can be filled out and approved online - it has to be manually reviewed.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
For me the biggest issue with this is It says the name changes need to be made more than 30 days or guests may not be able to check in. That is total BS. I don't really ever need to do that but I assume a good amount do this from time to time so if that becomes a problem I see a big fight from customers on that one. As for the commercial language, Marriott for sure, and likely other TS companies would be hard pressed to win a court case unless someone is truly a commercial enterprise because of how they use the "buy more to rent" sales pitch. Someone could literally get 1000s of affidavits stating such and they would open themselves up to a class action lawsuit.
What if the only reason for all this was so the sales team can get full non-owner occupant contact info for sales purposes "well before" the guest arrives. I was told sales has difficulty getting access to renters as they come, enjoy the resort and just leave - the sales vultures miss them. Sales does not have a good way to sort out the guests and too many prospects escape a sales contact. Renters and guests are great prospects - likely much better prospects than TUG members.

And, if they are doing this, wouldn't the 30 day advance period be helpful in their plotting? Telephone numbers and email addresses must be like gold for this.

Last edited:

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
What if the only reason for all this was so the sales team can get full non-owner occupant contact info for sales purposes. I was told sales has difficulty getting access to renters as they come, enjoy the resort and just leave - the sales vultures miss them. Sales does not have a good way to sort out the guests and too many prospects escape a sales contact. Renters and guests are great prospects - likely much better prospects than TUG members.

And, if they are doing this, wouldn't the 30 day advance period be helpful in their plotting? Telephone numbers and email addresses must be like gold for this.
Yeah... But. That info is usually on the Guest info when you assign on the reservation the old fashioned way.
But what you suggest could also be another tool in to gather this data for sales.

I tend to think that Marriott has created a monster here in that certain individuals are leveraging the market with people that don't have the technical time or skill to rent out their excess points or weeks. Nobody wants to see their unused weeks go to waste. So if a broker can offer you to offset that cost and then mass market vacations, this also is competing with individual owners and Marriott.

In the end Marriott Sales and Marriott in general is playing catch up. Savvy technology has empowered timeshare points / weeks brokers to play middleman in Marriott timeshare reservation space.

It was "ABOUND" to happen! o_O

LEMONLEE

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked a week in July as a weeks owner, and tried to call Marriott to change to reservation name to a guest. But this was back when their call volume was so high that they weren't picking up the phone and wouldn't even allow me to hold for the next available CS rep - the message just said to hang up and try again later. As a result, I went ahead and made the name change online. Does this mean my guest could possibly have issues checking in?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked a week in July as a weeks owner, and tried to call Marriott to change to reservation name to a guest. But this was back when their call volume was so high that they weren't picking up the phone and wouldn't even allow me to hold for the next available CS rep - the message just said to hang up and try again later. As a result, I went ahead and made the name change online. Does this mean my guest could possibly have issues checking in?

Your guest shouldn't have any problem as long as you did it online.

igopogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your guest shouldn't have any problem as long as you did it online.

If you did it in Bonvoy, they may need to mention your name or the confirmation number first and then theirs. My experience recently is that looking the reservation up by the additional guest name did not work.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I put a guest's name on my reservation through Bonvoy a few days ago when I wasn't sure what this new guest form was. But I decided not to trust doing it through just Bonvoy and filled out the guest form through MVCI. Of course, I have not heard a thing back on the one I filled out through MVCI. Seems like you should just be able to submit it and then an automated system would spit out the new confirmation - but instead it seems like they have to do some confirming of the guest's information? That is the strangest part to me.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I put a guest's name on my reservation through Bonvoy a few days ago when I wasn't sure what this new guest form was. But I decided not to trust doing it through just Bonvoy and filled out the guest form through MVCI. Of course, I have not heard a thing back on the one I filled out through MVCI. Seems like you should just be able to submit it and then an automated system would spit out the new confirmation - but instead it seems like they have to do some confirming of the guest's information? That is the strangest part to me.

There is a similar process with Vistana where an Vistana Westin or Sheraton reservation has both a Vistana confirmation (as it's been forever) and now it also shows up on marriott.com with an 8 digit confirmation number. A Vistana owner is supposed to make the change in vistana.com by filling out a form and that changes the Vistana confirmation instantly. But the Marriott confirmation updates a few days later, just like now with this new MVC form. I certainly believe that particular process is manual because I've had reservations modified where (i) my Bonvoy number was removed, (ii) my Bonvoy number was not removed (iii) guest address was updated (iv) my address was unchanged even with new guest name, and (v) guest name was misspelled (and I know I spelled it correctly because I had the Vistana confirmation). And if that process is manual, I do 't see why the new MVC form wouldn't also be, especially given the turnaround times.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Please forgive your new Westin step-stister - I'm still trying to figure out the Marriott system:

After going through the new procedure/new form to add the guest and click the disclaimers, can I still send the guest a confirmation in their name from: the old Marriott "find a reservation page," as we could in the past?

If the name change won't go through on the old page, because the name does not match the Bonvoy number - what is the work around?
Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 10.23.04 AM.png

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Please forgive your new Westin step-stister - I'm still trying to figure out the Marriott system:

After going through the new procedure/new form to add the guest and click the disclaimers, can I still send the guest a confirmation in their name from: the old Marriott "find a reservation page," as we could in the past?

If the name change won't go through on the old page, because the name does not match the Bonvoy number - what is the work around?
View attachment 76879
The new process is not automated. There is a human who at some point within 30 days will update the name and information within the system. Once they do that though, you should be able to look up the reservation under the guest name on Marriott.com.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
That is seriously stupid!

OK - so if you are renting your Marriott to a guest, what do you do about getting them a confirmation in a timely manner?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
That is seriously stupid!

OK - so if you are renting your Marriott to a guest, what do you do about getting them a confirmation in a timely manner?
Define timely. While the form indicates up to 30 days, it is usually completed within just a few. You should be able to prove the existence of the reservation as it is in your name and explain to the customer that Marriott now likes to take their own sweet time to update it.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Will the name be changed on the Marriott.com"find a reservation" page?

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC

Yes. They will also (not always) drop the Bonvoy number so you may see it disappear from your reservations. That's a sure way to know they finally changed the name.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes. This is part of the entire point of the process. They want to remove the Bonvoy number and not give the nights credit to the owner who initially made the reservation.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I completed a name addition form for an upcoming stay and received confirmation within three days. Hopefully things are improving.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
The form to change the name in itself is tiresome and completely unnecessary in my opinion, but what really bugs me is all the tick boxes you have to commit to before submitting. So they dont want us renting for commercial gain, yet every sales presentation they are telling you to buy more and rent what you don't need.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. This is part of the entire point of the process. They want to remove the Bonvoy number and not give the nights credit to the owner who initially made the reservation.;)

I thought the entire point of the process is to get renter’s info to the sales department so they have plenty of time to hound them into doing a presentation.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most likely a combination of the 2. Both benefit Marriott. No arrival points, no nights credit, sales contact.