• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Arriving Guest Information [merged]

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Oceana Palms, Asia Pacific Points
I got it too and that's what confused me. For the address it was sent to, I only own post 2010 resale weeks. My other account is Asia Pacific and not associated with the same email address. I have not received the email there yet. It doesn't matter to me much as I've only rented once, but I was just curious if it explicitly stated it didn't apply to weeks owners. What you are saying makes sense, I just wish they were more clear about it and had only sent it to points owners. Maybe I'm asking too much haha.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Got the email as well. Wouldn't that affect the owners when we need to put someone on the reservation with 30 days? Not sure this has happened to me before but it could be in the future. Such a joy owning a Marriott timeshare these days...NOT!

NotaBene

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC / HICV / ESI since 1997
I thought all that was required when renting out was a change to the Guest name/contact on Bonvoy. (Weeks owner here). MVC has to be notified separately?
This is a new Abound policy rolling out since April this year that requires a one-page certification of reservation usage.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Nothing has come to us about this. I'll continue as in the past with calling owner services.

They certainly don't want a bunch of angry guests or owners or owner's children huddling around the check-in desk. This would be bad for the sales effort and that matters.
Owner services is now pushing people to the new online form.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I thought all that was required when renting out was a change to the Guest name/contact on Bonvoy. (Weeks owner here). MVC has to be notified separately?
Changing the name on Marriott.com is a workaround that was mostly discovered by owners who tried it. Changing the guest name on Marriott.com has NEVER been communicated by Marriott Vacation Club as the official method to change a guest name. Currently I would consider it a loophole.

curitiba_tapley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club
Marriott's Harbor Lake
Club Wyndham Access
This is a new Abound policy in April this year that requires a one-page certification of reservation usage.

Interesting a policy change in April, and rolled-out in June - the roll-out email should have stated that it is for all Guest reservations starting in July 2023 (or something similar)? With some guests arriving in June it makes it impossible to achieve the 30 day advance notice policy.

curitiba_tapley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club
Marriott's Harbor Lake
Club Wyndham Access
Changing the name on Marriott.com is a workaround that was mostly discovered by owners who tried it. Changing the guest name on Marriott.com has NEVER been communicated by Marriott Vacation Club as the official method to change a guest name. Currently I would consider it a loophole.

In the past, I have also called MVC customer service to change the name on the reservation; this year I changed the name on Bonvoy. Completing this new form doesn't seem to be a stellar way to update Guest information either. As I have read countless times on here at TUG, MVC isn't the greatest at IT. I suspect that the data links between the Online Guest of Owner Name Addition ("Guest Form") and the actual reservation system isn't strong.

Alwaystravelling

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui ocean club, Marriott shadow ridge, Westin Kaanapali villas, Hyatt San Antonio, Williamsburg Plantation, Ocean Landings
This bullshit is outrageous. As a weeks owner it is your right to do whatever you want with it. I'm going to rent my week out on AirBnB and then click "yes" it is commerical and dare them to do something about it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
In the past, I have also called MVC customer service to change the name on the reservation; this year I changed the name on Bonvoy. Completing this new form doesn't seem to be a stellar way to update Guest information either. As I have read countless times on here at TUG, MVC isn't the greatest at IT. I suspect that the data links between the Online Guest of Owner Name Addition ("Guest Form") and the actual reservation system isn't strong.
The new form likely just creates a database entry and a task for someone to go in and work. The process of adding the guest name is likely still manual on the back end.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This bullshit is outrageous. As a weeks owner it is your right to do whatever you want with it. I'm going to rent my week out on AirBnB and then click "yes" it is commerical and dare them to do something about it.
Technically you are bound by the resort condominium CC&Rs, so no, you can't do whatever you want. There are provisions for rentals, but not for commercial activity.

NotaBene

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I got it too and that's what confused me. For the address it was sent to, I only own post 2010 resale weeks. My other account is Asia Pacific and not associated with the same email address. I have not received the email there yet. It doesn't matter to me much as I've only rented once, but I was just curious if it explicitly stated it didn't apply to weeks owners. What you are saying makes sense, I just wish they were more clear about it and had only sent it to points owners. Maybe I'm asking too much haha.
It applies under both weeks and points reservations currently

NotaBene

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You cannot submit the form or print it until you agree to all conditions. Marriott is bigger than any of us and they control the reservation system. Some improperly registered guests have been turned away at check-in. I can only imagine the frustration, anger, and impact of finding last-minute reservations.

If you do not use the form you must use the Bonvoy registration but mine was deleted by MVC and re-entered by them with the form. I believe we have more rights with the weeks until we elect points. But be careful and monitor your name change because Bonvoy is a separate legal entity from MVC.

Chucez

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And, as Marriott continues to sell “points”, it will only get worse. Greed above promise

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
All of the online form is a yawner until you get to the part below. When I see the teeth behind this, I will believe it is real. A start would be closing the Marriott.com way to change a reservation. Right now, the resorts system uses this reservation confirmation and have no way of knowing who made the change. I have a unit my son will be using. I am going to change it back to me and fill out the form to see what gets changed.

“Commercial use of accommodations, use period or related benefits, including but not limited to a pattern of rental activity, is prohibited under the applicable reservation or exchange procedures and may result in cancellation of reservations. I certify that this reservation is not for any commercial purpose, and I hereby release MVCI and its affiliates from any and all liability relating to or arising from any such reservation cancellation.

Last edited:

chaparrusa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vacation village at bonaventure , sheraton vistana orlando ,
I WAS JUST AT AN UPDATE (UPGRADE) PRESENTATION AND THE SALES REPRESENTATIVE ENCOURAGE ME TO RENT A UNIT DURING COACHELLA IN ORDER TO PAY FOR MY MAINTENANCE: "YOU CAN RENT THE GUESTROOM DURING COACHELLA AND THAT WILL PAY FOR THE 2 BEDROOM UNIT, SO YOU CAN USE YOUR ONE BEDROOM FOR FREE" ,ALL THIS COMPANIES ARE JUST TRASH. THIS NEW POLICY IS GARBAGE, JUST LAST WINTER WE WERE NOT ABLE TO AGO TO TAHOE DUE TO A LAST MINUTE SITUATION BUT AT LEAST MY FRIEND FROM SACRAMENTO WAS ABLE TO GO. SOMETHING LIKE THAT WOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE NOW.
I TOTALLY HATE THIS FKNG COMPANIES.

Docsdrillers

Reaction score
During Xmas of 2021 circumstances forced us to cancel our 3 week stay at Ocean Pointe 5 days prior to arrival..It was a combination of Health issues and ever increasing Florida Covid numbers.

I put all 3 of my weeks on Redweek..do it yourself and i was fortunate enough to rent out all of them.

If this rule were in place i would be in deep crap and be out several years maintenance fees..one of our weeks was the cancelled 2020 week when Canadians couldn't enter the States due to Covid restrictions.

So i fail to see how this is a fair or even Legal policy..this is beyond absurd and if true infuriating.

mvmess

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Canyon Villas, Marriott Waiohai Beach Club, Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Destination Points,
Really seems like a non-issue if you follow the guidelines.

mvmess

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Canyon Villas, Marriott Waiohai Beach Club, Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Destination Points,
Really seems like a non-issue if you follow the guidelines.
During Xmas of 2021 circumstances forced us to cancel our 3 week stay at Ocean Pointe 5 days prior to arrival..It was a combination of Health issues and ever increasing Florida Covid numbers.

I put all 3 of my weeks on Redweek..do it yourself and i was fortunate enough to rent out all of them.

If this rule were in place i would be in deep crap and be out several years maintenance fees..one of our weeks was the cancelled 2020 week when Canadians couldn't enter the States due to Covid restrictions.

So i fail to see how this is a fair or even Legal policy..this is beyond absurd and if true infuriating.
Did you purchase the insurance package that would have reimbursed for the maintenance fees had you not been able to rent them?

Docsdrillers

Reaction score
Did you purchase the insurance package that would have reimbursed for the maintenance fees had you not been able to rent them?
I've never done it before but may have to now..I always knew Xmas and New Years week were easy rentals should we not be able to travel.However if these new rules prevent rentals within 30 days then it's something i need to look into...correct me if i'm wrong but i believe last time i checked and it was many many years ago it didn't cover Canadians..is that possible?

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wonder how this will work with Interval? I’ve gotten a guest certificate within 30 days of check in for a Marriott reservation through ii before. Also for a Marriott getaway.

bmuller

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have attended a couple of "ownership updates" this year - mainly to express our frustration with the reservation system not working properly on Tuesday mornings when new inventory is released. In each case, the sales rep suggested buying additional points, reserving the highest demand dates and renting them out to offset maintenance fees. In both cases, the sales rep offered to help us reserve the weeks and get them rented. One even demonstrated having access to an owner's VRBO account and showed us rentals that he had arranged for them. Combine those experiences with our inability to obtain high demand weeks for February 2024 at Maui Ocean Club, and I was angry enough to lodge a complaint with MORI's Board of Directors. Personally, I like the policy as I believe rental schemes are more common among their own sales staff than with owners.. I recognize that things happen that make it impossible to use a reservation. However, I can choose to purchase their insurance, or I can self insure understanding that a reservation may go unused or have the points returned to a holding status.

Reaction score
This is a really frustrating change.

We just found this out last week when trying to let my brother-in-law use our timeshare. . s. The owner services phone line wasn't helpful and kept referring to the online form, and apologizing for the rule that had just been put in place in the past month. No sign of a 30day rule when we made our reservation. We have always called to add guests to our week, up to the day before arrival.

We have used our week at ocean point every year for 20+ years, and self occupied all but a couple of years. But we often give our lockout unit to other family members and friends, and often they have checked-in before us. And that decision frequently happens within the last month. As our kids families are changing, having to deal with this policy may not let us have the kids schedule with us.

The process is NOT owner friendly.
We've done the forms, made multiple phone calls, including the front desk at Ocean Pointe. We think we have it changed, but have no solid confirmation in writing, email or on the mvci website.
BIL checks in next week, we will see what happens