• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Arriving Guest Information [merged]

THSMTHS

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
American Resorts International (ARI),
Marriott Desert Springs II,
Marriott Ko 'Olina,
Falcon Point,
Marriott Sabal Palms,
Westin Flex,
Marriott DP,
Diamond (Sedona access)
I understand everyone's concerns. Last week though really set me off. Next week, we are headed to Maui for two weeks. the unit we own is a 2 bed resort view. For kicks, I looked up the resort, time and size unit. I was horrified to find a 2 bed, ocean view unit listed for $999. (I should have done a screen shot.) It makes me wonder why we ever purchased timeshares. Our maintenance fees alone are more than 4x that amount. I love a good deal, but......

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I understand everyone's concerns. Last week though really set me off. Next week, we are headed to Maui for two weeks. the unit we own is a 2 bed resort view. For kicks, I looked up the resort, time and size unit. I was horrified to find a 2 bed, ocean view unit listed for $999. (I should have done a screen shot.) It makes me wonder why we ever purchased timeshares. Our maintenance fees alone are more than 4x that amount. I love a good deal, but......

That sounds like an outlier if it's a resort like a Marriott. Someone with a last-minute cancellation (or an unrented week because price was too high for too long) would have to resort to a fire sale for a Maui rental because airfare would make short notice rentals very hard. You won't see that with a resort like Newport Coast for a summer rental when the resort has 25+ million people within driving distance.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
We have attended a couple of "ownership updates" this year - mainly to express our frustration with the reservation system not working properly on Tuesday mornings when new inventory is released. In each case, the sales rep suggested buying additional points, reserving the highest demand dates and renting them out to offset maintenance fees. In both cases, the sales rep offered to help us reserve the weeks and get them rented. One even demonstrated having access to an owner's VRBO account and showed us rentals that he had arranged for them. Combine those experiences with our inability to obtain high demand weeks for February 2024 at Maui Ocean Club, and I was angry enough to lodge a complaint with MORI's Board of Directors. Personally, I like the policy as I believe rental schemes are more common among their own sales staff than with owners.. I recognize that things happen that make it impossible to use a reservation. However, I can choose to purchase their insurance, or I can self insure understanding that a reservation may go unused or have the points returned to a holding status.
Please don't rely on the insurance to cover your loss. It uses the maintenance fee to determine the value of the reservation for claims purposes. Read the policy....

taxare

TUG Member
Reaction score
i have two slightly different views on this. The first is that this gives MVCI a lot of new customers to add to their sales list with no cost. Over the last five years I have rented a points unit to a good friend for a full week and then we come up for a few days in a separate unit. I did not want them to get the calls about a presentation or get any sales information from MVCI as they were not interested. Now MVCI will probably bombard them with sales information and never stop calling them about Encore packages or presentations while on property. Second, it says it will assist them with Villa Assignment. I'm not sure whether this will be good or bad for the owners or renters but either way I don't have a good feeling.....

NotaBene

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC / HICV / ESI since 1997
This is a really frustrating change.

We just found this out last week when trying to let my brother-in-law use our timeshare. . s. The owner services phone line wasn't helpful and kept referring to the online form, and apologizing for the rule that had just been put in place in the past month. No sign of a 30day rule when we made our reservation. We have always called to add guests to our week, up to the day before arrival.

We have used our week at ocean point every year for 20+ years, and self occupied all but a couple of years. But we often give our lockout unit to other family members and friends, and often they have checked-in before us. And that decision frequently happens within the last month. As our kids families are changing, having to deal with this policy may not let us have the kids schedule with us.

The process is NOT owner friendly.
We've done the forms, made multiple phone calls, including the front desk at Ocean Pointe. We think we have it changed, but have no solid confirmation in writing, email or on the mvci website.
BIL checks in next week, we will see what happens
I had similar concerns. I did the form and the confirmation was sent to the new email. Today I used marriott.com, ie Bonvoy to confirm the form was properly referred.

Click MyTrips and fill out the reservation search with the details you put on the form and it will show the guest details, same is available on the MVC-owner site but it shows the guest's name and address but your phone and email, even though it was not sent to you as it says.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
I will now have an easy way to annoy the sales staff.

Mr Lips R Moving,"So what brings you here today?"
Me,"I came here for the incentive. Due to the thirty day guest name change rule and the poor ambiguous insurance offered by Marriott, I may be out of pocket one day and have to start clawing that back with each sales presentation. By the way, due to the poor IT system and making owners lives more miserable with each change I will not be buying today."

Hopefully that will get me out of there fast

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Did you purchase the insurance package that would have reimbursed for the maintenance fees had you not been able to rent them?
What insurance packages is this? As another noted, I would rely on the travel insurance package. Points reservations can also be cancelled till day before checkin and it is unlikely that insurance will pay out even if you get restricted points back.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Wonder how this will work with Interval? I’ve gotten a guest certificate within 30 days of check in for a Marriott reservation through ii before. Also for a Marriott getaway.
II bookings are different. II doesn't go in and fill out this form. They have a direct (API?) connection and do an overnight batch process to update reservation details on Marriott.com.

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
What insurance packages is this? As another noted, I would rely on the travel insurance package. Points reservations can also be cancelled till day before checkin and it is unlikely that insurance will pay out even if you get restricted points back.
Not that it would cover a situation where you couldn't rent it but when I purchased the travel insurance for 2024 usage, they made it clear that in order to make a claim, you cannot cancel the reservation that you're looking to get reimbursed for. They said you have to let it go on used. If you cancel it, then no reimbursement. I of course argued that I wanted someone else to be able to have that space but in the business sense Marriott is already getting what they were entitled to from you allocating your week or points to that stay so they don't care. If you don't have the no-show, you have no proof of loss because restricted usage is not considered such according to the agent that sold me the insurance.

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
II bookings are different. II doesn't go in and fill out this form. They have a direct (API?) connection and do an overnight batch process to update reservation details on Marriott.com.
I figured that. But that sure doesn't seem fair to those booking directly with Marriott vs. those who trade Marriott through II.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Technically you are bound by the resort condominium CC&Rs, so no, you can't do whatever you want. There are provisions for rentals, but not for commercial activity.
Correct, but the CC&Rs do not require adding guest or renter names at least 30 days ahead of time, nor do they require that you agree to their additional onerous terms. This is a material change to the benefits conferred in the governing docs. This is ripe for a class action that actually has merit.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct, but the CC&Rs do not require adding guest or renter names at least 30 days ahead of time, nor do they require that you agree to their additional onerous terms. This is a material change to the benefits conferred in the governing docs. This is ripe for a class action that actually has merit.

Please sign me up. This “policy” change is going to be a disaster for MVC both in terms of sales and negative publicity.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I did not get the email but saw it reported on Facebook. I have 2 weeks that rented months ago for July so I filled out the form as soon as I heard about it. I have 5 Marriott weeks and didn’t get the email. Could it have only been sent to points owners? Could this have been started for some reason for Abound reservations since Marriott and Vistana owners now have access to both brands for use (or rental)?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I did not get the email but saw it reported on Facebook. I have 2 weeks that rented months ago for July so I filled out the form as soon as I heard about it. I have 5 Marriott weeks and didn’t get the email. Could it have only been sent to points owners? Could this have been started for some reason for Abound reservations since Marriott and Vistana owners now have access to both brands for use (or rental)?
I found about this change here. I own pre 2010 weeks, post 2010 enrolled weeks, post 2010 unenrolled weeks, fractionals and DC points. Did not get any notice from MVC about this change.

Changed names via Marriott.com for a few rentals for July 1 and Dec 24 at the end of May and no problem. These were owner week reservations. Will be changing a points reservatio later and will see if it works.

Count me in on the class action!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Please sign me up. This “policy” change is going to be a disaster for MVC both in terms of sales and negative publicity.
Count me in on the class action!
Why is it always a "sign me up", perhaps only if someone else initiates it? Why not take the bull by the horns and find an attorney to represent you?

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score

If my memory is right, and I'd be the first to admit that it may not be, I recall that the CC and R's had a number of "Escape Clauses" to allow Marriott to do, almost anything that Marriott wanted to do, within the confines of changes to the "Timeshare Plan." I haven't looked at the CC and R's in many years, not since my tour of duty as an HOA Board member. Hence, I'd want to do a very thorough review of each resort's (and the Destination Club's) CC and R's, before I concluded that Marriott overstepped their boundaries.

However, if we could mobilize enough participation, I'd join (with financial committment) a Class Action, to challenge what Marriott has done, which I think is ludicrous. Accordingly, I'd suggest that Attorney Robert M. Bone, Principal of the Timeshare Board Law Group, of Santa Rosa, CA, be considered to represent us/the Plantiffs, in a Class Action. Attorney Bone, now President of the Olympic Village Inn timeshare/HOA, at Squaw Valley, was instrumental/influential in assembling a new HOA Board to regain control of the Olympic Village Inn HOA, from the former HOA Board, when they all but sold the store (OVI) to the crooks at Wyndham. Thanks to Attorney Bone, and the coalition that he formed (new HOA Board members), they have guided the Olympic Village Inn HOA to a much better position than it was in, in 2017.

One other strategy might be to mobilize through TUG, and identify TUG members at each MVC resort (although, I believe the reach of this new policy goes beyond the Marriott resorts, to include Starwood, Vistana, etc), who would in turn go to the HOA Board at each of the resorts at which TUG members own, and ask the HOA Boards to send a message back to MVC/MVW, that their new Guest of Owner Policy is unacceptable, and that questions MVW' authority to make the changes that they made (I'm not sure about this one, I'm skeptical, as I think Marriott may have one or more "Escape Clauses" to do what they did).

Last edited:

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why is it always a "sign me up", perhaps only if someone else initiates it? Why not take the bull by the horns and find an attorney to represent you?

I just read your Post. I did just (before seeing/reading your post) that, above.

I believe a necessary first step, before going to a Class Action, other than the obvious, of determining if Marriott had the authority to do what they did (via the CC and R's), is to go to each resort's HOA Board, and request that they send a message to MVW, indicating that the Board (on behalf of the HOA members that they represent/lead) is opposed to Marriott's recent policy about Guests of Owner(s).

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I will help out by sending a letter to boards at the resorts I own. I can at least do this first step.

On another note, I just changed a points reservation into renter name last night with no problems. This was done not via the MVC link.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I figured that. But that sure doesn't seem fair to those booking directly with Marriott vs. those who trade Marriott through II.
But you can’t rent anything you get from II which really is the point of this thread.
People want to be able to rent inside of 30 days and get the name changed.

Last edited:

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Really seems like a non-issue if you follow the guidelines.
What happens when you get sick within the 30 days, and your sister and brother in law, who are not paying you anything, are supposed to arrive the day after you are scheduled to check in? I remind you, Covid is still a thing.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What happens when you get sick within the 30 days, and your sister and brother in law, who are not paying you anything, are supposed to arrive the day after you are scheduled to check in? I remind you, Covid is still a thing.
Just realized that since it’s an II reservation I can just pay a fee and list them as guests. The guestion still stands though in a general sense.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even though MVC is saying that this policy is to provide more inventory to owners, I am skeptical of their motives. Perhaps they are planning to force owners to rent through MVC so they can earn additional income.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Here are applicable provisions of Shadow Ridge (MRD) CC&Rs:

1685902093457.png

1685902180580.png

1685902380334.png

I do not see how MVC (I doubt every resort has passed this regulation, and haven't seen notice of it for MRD), can restrict Permitted Users to those registered 30 days in advance.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Even though MVC is saying that this policy is to provide more inventory to owners, I am skeptical of their motives. Perhaps they are planning to force owners to rent through MVC so they can earn additional income.
Well, I asked them twice over the years, and they had no interest in renting my Desert Springs Viilas 1, red season.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't think MVC has a rental program for points owners. Only one that they offer to weeks based ownerships.