• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Arriving Guest Information [merged]

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was informed by online Chat today that, effective yesterday, you can no longer update guest information via online Chat or phone support. The only way now to do so is by use of the Form and that most likely explains why the link to the Form is now showing up in the reservation sections of our accounts.

I have also been told that updating the guest information via Marriott.com is not adequate. Accordingly, as a reminder, as stated at the top of the Form, "Failure to provide the required information 30 days prior to arrival will not allow for an adequate guest notification period; therefore, [MVC] cannot guarantee that Family Member or Guest names will be able to be added to reservations in which [the Owner] do[es] not intend to stay."

Given the certifications being asked of Owners on the Form, and MVC's ability to track the frequency of submissions of the Form by an Owner, it appears this may very well be MVC's initial efforts to crack down on what they deem to be "commercial" activity.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have also been told that updating the guest information via Marriott.com is not adequate
I suspect that until they make is so people can't update on Marriott.com, many (most?) people will continue to do that. What they will likely do is lock down any changes on Marriott.com so we can't even add our Bonvoy numbers to a reservation. Thanks renters :mad: :p

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Out of all of my ownership, at Chairman's Club level, I only rent out 2 weeks of 1BR every other year or so to the same person. Everything else is for personal consumption. This declaration of not using for commercial use is a little disturbing. I rent out to barely cover maintenance fees for the 2 weeks, and I don't see it as "commercial use". I also have no issue to stop renting as I book those weeks anyway and they will go to II. We will have to stay tune for TUGers' experience.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Out of all of my ownership, at Chairman's Club level, I only rent out 2 weeks of 1BR every other year or so to the same person. Everything else is for personal consumption. This declaration of not using for commercial use is a little disturbing. I rent out to barely cover maintenance fees for the 2 weeks, and I don't see it as "commercial use". We will have to stay tune for TUGers' experience.
That is a problem with many of these declarations, it is really up to the HOA/Management company to define the term. I don't beleive commercial use is defined as it isn't capitalized in the documents. Wyndham took a strong stance on renting. Going so far as to check Facebook group listings. Facebook has a "real name" policy. Thus it was fairly easy for them to match up rental listings to owners. Some got dinged for a single rental, others are still skating by with dozens.

Marriott does have a big problem with availability within its points system. I know a lot of owners who comment on my videos complain of availability issues. So I can see why Marriott may be looking more closely at renting point reservations.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Out of all of my ownership, at Chairman's Club level, I only rent out 2 weeks of 1BR every other year or so to the same person. Everything else is for personal consumption. This declaration of not using for commercial use is a little disturbing. I rent out to barely cover maintenance fees for the 2 weeks, and I don't see it as "commercial use". I also have no issue to stop renting as I book those weeks anyway and they will go to II. We will have to stay tune for TUGers' experience.
Also, as many have noted, sales pitches almost universally tout the ability to rent your weeks or points as a great feature and reason to pay tens of thousands to MVC. Just a few weeks a go Kenny in Park City talked about renting both his legacy weeks and points and showed us a check where he was paid over $15,000 for his ski week rentals by a broker. So, I hope everyone can document all the presentations they have been on where this "benefit" was proffered as an inducement to buy, to counter the eventual crackdown on rentals.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Also, as many have noted, sales pitches almost universally tout the ability to rent your weeks or points as a great feature and reason to pay tens of thousands to MVC. Just a few weeks a go Kenny in Park City talked about renting both his legacy weeks and points and showed us a check where he was paid over $15,000 for his ski week rentals by a broker. So, I hope everyone can document all the presentations they have been on where this "benefit" was proffered as an inducement to buy, to counter the eventual crackdown on rentals.
Sadly, timeshare companies have the "licence to lie clause" in their contracts.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott needs to accept responsibility for creating the big time rental monster and need to come up with a better way to DEFINE commercial and phase into a level of tolerance in the entire system, points and weeks. It needs to be both points and weeks because MVC modified the program to be flexible and it should be fully flexible.

There is HISTORY of sales department TOUTING RENTING. There is also history for “how to use your ownership” as PRECEDENCE to show MVC ENCOURAGED, FACILITATED and TOLERATED rentals.

When we bought in ‘99 Marriott gave the option to rent through them. As I remember it, Ocean Pointe it was a 65/35 split but at Aruba Ocean Club it was 40/60. Then after points were initiated MVC no longer wanted to facilitate this option and limited the weeks they would accept. Since renting wasn’t prohibited but was no longer facilitated by MVC owners found other options and the big rental monster was born.

I say it wasn’t prohibited because OS reps we’re understanding when you called to change names on the ressie. They would even ask if you were staying or asked if you were renting and remove your personal Bonvoy information. The PRECEDENCE was MVC was ACCOMODATING!

HISTORY, FACILITATION, ACCOMMODATION, PRECEDENCE, TOLERANCE, SELLING THE OPTION.

MVC needs to ACCEPT responsibility for the big rental problem, define commercial and make allowances for what they promised as part of the program they sold.

It’s the Marriott Way.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I see zero risk here but I feel there is a lot they can do to make rentals difficult, including changes to the POS. The reality is they too are renting so to block renting completely would be difficult as a minimum. But I do feel they could leverage the 13 month reservation option and certain high demand weeks. Having a rental website and renting significant volume year after year is where the risk lies, IMO.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I occasionally 'rent' points reservations to friends and family members to cover the costs of my maintenance fees. I don't make any profit, but if MVC gets overly aggressive regarding this issue they may prohibit these types of situations. I always add the names when I make my reservations, so I hope they don't eliminate that ability.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
I did discuss this with our sales guy who knows the territory. Rentals by those of us who rent here and there to cover our maintenance costs are not the problem and rental has long been an option for us "non-commercial" owners. Also, this seems to be more of a problem for the points program. I'm confident MVC is trying to solve a problem without alienating a bunch of great non-commercial customers.

I'm going to continue my use as in the past. Timeshare owners are quite imaginative and can probably figure out how to get what they need.

One other thought - What would the points program be like if week owners stopped depositing their weeks for points? Just "imagine" that.

WahooWah

Reaction score
Is this a new thing? When going online to add a guest to a reservation, the owner is asked a bunch of invasive questions and Marriott makes a bunch of indemnifying language for itself and warnings about commercial use violating the Abound Exchange rules, yadda, yadda. This notice was also included at the top:
"NOTE: Failure to provide the required information 30 days prior to arrival will not allow for an adequate guest notification period; therefore, we cannot guarantee that Family Member or Guest names will be able to be added to reservations in which you do not intend to stay." 30 days? When did this become an issue within 30 days?

What is going on here? Is this an attempt to crack down on rentals? And how long will it take to get the guest certificate confirmed?

alexb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Craigendarroch Scotland,Marriott Grande Chateau,pga golf village
I have just contacted Marriott to add a guest name to a points booking they are telling me you need to fill in a special form they send you and it can take 30days to add guests name.
anyone else aware of this change

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Yes, it’s been reported here before, but not applied consistently yet.

Making a change to the policy is one thing. Having it take 30 days is ridiculous, especially when guests/renters have to confirm airfare. Changes to should lead to greater efficiency, not owner inconvenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
I was recently changing the name in my Bonvoy app...is that also no longer working?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I did it yesterday....I called Owner Services to make the name change, and the rep says there's a new way to do it now.......
We both logged on to the MVC site and she walked me through it......how to get to the form and how to fill it out, etc.......

So, the "form" is on the MVC website and you simply click on it, fill in the guest's info (name, address, phone contact, & email)
and check/acknowledge boxes on 10-12 random questions
(standard issues such as "will owner stay there at all, or not at all?", "damages are responsibility of owner when a non-owner will not stay", etc, etc.)
and SUBMIT.
After doing it, it's very easy if you can first find it to click on.
Marriott then sends you a new confirmation email with the guest's name on it. They state that they will also send out the same confirmation emailI to the guest.
I got my email by the end of the day.
Meanwhile Marriott will verify guest info you submitted so that the guest can check in....if Marriott cannot verify, the guest cannot check in, as it states on the form.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
I did it yesterday....I called Owner Services to make the name change, and the rep says there's a new way to do it now.......
We both logged on to the MVC site and she walked me through it......how to get to the form and how to fill it out, etc.......

So, the "form" is on the MVC website and you simply click on it, fill in the guest's info (name, address, phone contact, & email)
and check/acknowledge boxes on 10-12 random questions
(standard issues such as "will owner stay there at all, or not at all?", "damages are responsibility of owner when a non-owner will not stay", etc, etc.)
and SUBMIT.
After doing it, it's very easy if you can first find it to click on.
Marriott then sends you a new confirmation email with the guest's name on it. They state that they will also send out the same confirmation emailI to the guest.
I got my email by the end of the day.
Meanwhile Marriott will verify guest info you submitted so that the guest can check in....if Marriott cannot verify, the guest cannot check in, as it states on the form.
@jme Great details...thanks! For this part...do you know if you hear back when Marriott has verified the guest and does that occur right away or closer to actual arrival? "Meanwhile Marriott will verify guest info you submitted so that the guest can check in....if Marriott cannot verify, the guest cannot check in, as it states on the form."

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Some discussion about from this last week, and how to find the form here…

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
@jme Great details...thanks! For this part...do you know if you hear back when Marriott has verified the guest and does that occur right away or closer to actual arrival? "Meanwhile Marriott will verify guest info you submitted so that the guest can check in....if Marriott cannot verify, the guest cannot check in, as it states on the form."

I told the guest to let me know when they receive the Marriott email of confirmation (I usually have a "relationship"
with the guest by this point, so we converse every now and then at the least. I will follow up, though).
Anyway, the "guest info" I submitted to Marriott is absolutely correct, and I'm 100% sure the guest is highly motivated to want to check in,
so I don't foresee any problem. I will step in if anything hits a snag, but that is doubtful.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
I told the guest to let me know when they receive the Marriott email of confirmation (I usually have a "relationship"
with the guest by this point, so we converse every now and then at the least. I will follow up, though).
Anyway, the "guest info" I submitted to Marriott is absolutely correct, and I'm 100% sure the guest is highly motivated to want to check in,
so I don't foresee any problem. I will step in if anything hits a snag, but that is doubtful.
Thanks - I am the opposite and cherish my current ability not to be involved in any way with the renter and Redweek or Koala take all required actions. Will be interesting to see if this guest verification becomes part of their process as well.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
No issues updating the guest name via the Marriott website this morning. Log into account, go to your trips, find reservation, click on view / modify, go to guest information and update name. Confirmation e-mail received within 10 seconds with the updated name on the reservation.

bbts

TUG Member
Reaction score
I "chatted" with owner services yesterday to add a guest's name to a points reservation and was told the new policy requires that I complete the form online. When I pressed the agent as to why they were requesting such detailed information about the guest (with all fields "required"), the agent responded that it is to "ensure compliance with the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OPAC) guidelines" (quoted from the transcript of the chat). A very interesting use of a federal regulation. Also, now, 24 hours later, I have received nothing back indicating that the reservation was updated.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anything changed for adding guest names to reservation when you are making a points reservations? I typically add the names when I make the initial reservation.

kyaustin

TUG Member
Reaction score
If i’m traveling with family to a 3br and we will all be there at the same time so I can check us in. Can I not add their names at that point to be able get a new key if they lose their key?

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Has anything changed for adding guest names to reservation when you are making a points reservations? I typically add the names when I make the initial reservation.
I just went onto Marriott.com and was able to change reservation names if I wanted to on Abound points reservations...I just can't change the Bonvoy number like you can with a cash reservation.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If i’m traveling with family to a 3br and we will all be there at the same time so I can check us in. Can I not add their names at that point to be able get a new key if they lose their key?
Yes, you wouldn't use this form. You would just add guests to the room at checkin.