• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

You're Being Lied to About Electric Cars

Brett

Reaction score

Ferrari To Go Electric In 2025, With 40% EV Sales By 2030

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michae...025-with-40-ev-sales-by-2030/?sh=4e72bf2066a2

The Road to the Electric Ferrari​

https://www.ferrarilakeforest.com/manufacturer-information/electric-ferrari/

With such impressive performance from their hybrid Ferrari models, here’s what you can likely expect from the future of an electric Ferrari:

Near-Instant Torque – Hop into a hybrid Ferrari today and you’ll feel near-instantaneous torque delivery as you step on the gas pedal. With an electric Ferrari model, you can anticipate even quicker torque delivery as there’s only an electric motor that’ll be providing that power.

Regenerative Braking – New Ferrari hybrid vehicles use regenerative braking technology to maximize range and performance while you’re driving around Lake Bluff. Electric Ferrari models will also likely have this technology to take thermal energy from braking and transform it into electricity to charge the battery.

New Construction – Electric vehicle batteries are heavy, but thanks to modern Ferrari engineering and the use of multi-material construction with carbon fiber and aluminum, the new construction of Ferrari hybrid and electric models will be stronger and more rigid than ever.

Lower Center of Gravity – It’s likely that the battery used in an electric Ferrari will be placed as low as possible in the vehicle to lower the center of gravity. A low center of gravity will allow for exceptional handling, incredible road manners, and better stability.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
All of my radios have access to am radio but I have so many other options that I rarely listen to am or fm anymore. I think I tuned in a channel for a pass report a few years ago.

Bill

Likely what we will see is a content/station migration from AM to FM HD radio. My wife generally listens to FM HD radio in her Tesla most often. Much better quality digital signal (close to CD quality) and longer range before signal loss. The AM radio signals will likely migrate to one of the three HD FM radio channels that already exist today since FM HD radio can support multiple channels on the same broadcast frequency.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Likely what we will see is a content/station migration from AM to FM HD radio. My wife generally listens to FM HD radio in her Tesla most often. Much better quality digital signal (close to CD quality) and longer range before signal loss. The AM radio signals will likely migrate to one of the three HD FM radio channels that already exist today since FM HD radio can support multiple channels on the same broadcast frequency.
I think it's sad the effort to eliminate AM. It's the last bastion for "small voices" in the radio spectrum. Things that are not "big sellers" in ratings, but still have a following.

Things like local car buying shows, gardening shows, various stock market shows. So what if the signal isn't HD and rock-solid clear? It's available, and most will never have enough ratings to ever make the FM world, even with HD subchannels. (And remember, the "Big Boy" corporation that own the FM channels will control what is on the HD subchannels, acting as editorial content managers.)

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
I think it's sad the effort to eliminate AM. It's the last bastion for "small voices" in the radio spectrum. Things that are not "big sellers" in ratings, but still have a following.

Things like local car buying shows, gardening shows, various stock market shows. So what if the signal isn't HD and rock-solid clear? It's available, and most will never have enough ratings to ever make the FM world, even with HD subchannels. (And remember, the "Big Boy" corporation that own the FM channels will control what is on the HD subchannels, acting as editorial content managers.)

The reality is that with OTA inbuilt to BEVs - there's really less need for any actual radio signals. Simply stream the content OTA using the existing cellular networks that the vehicle itself is always using. So AM channels can simply stream their content digitally and consumers can utilize existing streaming apps to consume the content - this is likely already occurring with many AM radio stations. I realize older folks might not be familiar with this type of technology - but this is all the younger generations use - they literally never use radios in comparison. Streaming is where it's all going inevitably, including FM radio signals.

As it relates to this thread - most BEVs contain free streaming apps as part of the vehicle software/subscription services. With Tesla, many owners subscription to Tesla's premium subscription for $99/year which provides the following benefits:

1684177225795.png

Last edited:

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reality is that with OTA inbuilt to BEVs - there's really less need for any actual radio signals. Simply stream the content OTA using the existing cellular networks that the vehicle itself is always using. So AM channels can simply stream their content digitally and consumers can utilize existing streaming apps to consume the content - this is likely already occurring with many AM radio stations. I realize older folks might not be familiar with this type of technology - but this is all the younger generations use - they literally never use radios in comparison. Streaming is where it's all going inevitably, including FM radio signals.
How much would it cost? Broadcast radio is free, if you have a working receiver. . .

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Broadcast radio is free to the listener, but there is certainly a cost to the provider of the AM radio signal. The cost of electricity to drive the signal, the maintenance of the antenna and transmitting equipment, administrative and perhaps a broadcast personality. I have no idea if AM licenses have any value in the resale market except for large superstations. I listen to AM radio over wifi or cellular wifi because I no longer have an AM radio. Anyone can set up a radio channel for next to nothing on the internet these days. And they do. An AM radio channel on the internet has one advantage. It is usually recognizable among the hundreds of choices available.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
How much would it cost? Broadcast radio is free, if you have a working receiver. . .
Since most Gen Y/Z already maintain streaming subscriptions - it will be net free to them as part of existing subscription services (whether free or paid). For example, my kids all have Spotify subscriptions - they have for years - that's simply how they consume any/all musical content. Same with me for the most part nowadays, I currently have Apple Music (which includes many radio stations and contains my ~7000 iTunes songs and digitized media), and am currenty trialing Amazon Music for free for 90 days. You can also typically stream the radio station directly from their website and/or app, in many cases for free, or from other free radio streaming apps.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why have a radio in a car, of any sort? Just a bluetooth amplifier. . .

Same for television. No OTA tuners, everybody gets their video over streaming anyways. . .

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why have a radio in a car, of any sort? Just a bluetooth amplifier. . .

Same for television. No OTA tuners, everybody gets their video over streaming anyways. . .
There are still many areas when driving where you can receive stations on the radio but no cellular signal. In those areas, bluetooth connections to your phone won't help. Same thing for television. You may be able to receive OTA broadcasts, but have no internet service for streaming services if you live way out in some rural areas.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My drive Up North to the Lake cottage has several dead zones in Northern MI. However Satalite Xm Radio works great.

Brett

Reaction score
The New EV Gold-Rush: Automakers Scramble to Get Into Mining
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-new-ev-gold-rush-automakers-scramble-to-get-into-mining-ebda14eb

May 16, 2023

A scarcity of EV battery materials pushes car companies and miners to work closer together; for both, there is a learning curve
Automakers are striking deals for lithium projects in the U.S., which now accounts for a scant amount of global supply. Nevada has emerged as a hotbed, including the Lithium Americas mine at Thacker Pass that GM recently invested in

The specter of an eventual EV battery shortage is pushing ar companies to get more directly involved in the mining business,

For automakers, the pressure is on to solve this supply problem. New battery plants are popping up across the U.S., and car companies are pouring billions of dollars into electric vehicle factories.

In January, GM agreed to invest in a joint-development project with Vancouver-based mining company Lithium Americas. The deal gives GM exclusive rights to lithium extracted from a remote desert site in Nevada called Thacker Pass, one of the largest known lithium sources in the U.S.

In 2022, Tesla contracted directly with mining companies or refiners for more than 95% of the lithium hydroxide and 55% of the cobalt it needed for batteries

As the industry’s rush to electric cars accelerated in 2020, predictions of a dire battery shortage were growing louder, and prices of critical minerals were climbing

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please save AM Radio, i listen too it alot, especially on my 2.5 hour drive up north after work on the weekends.

Brett

Reaction score
"data showed that less than 5% of listening in its cars was to AM stations"

I seldom listen to AM radio, - the lack of amplitude modulation won't affect me

Last edited:

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ironically, Texas which has the most solar projects in the country, just enacted a new vehicle registration penalty on EVs. Now initial registration for EVs will be $400 with an annual fee of $200. The average ICE owner pays about $130/year in gas taxes. They expect to raise $38 million. Seems like the best and most equitable fee would be on per mile use. But then that is Texas.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Ironically, Texas which has the most solar projects in the country, just enacted a new vehicle registration penalty on EVs. Now initial registration for EVs will be $400 with an annual fee of $200. The average ICE owner pays about $130/year in gas taxes. They expect to raise $38 million. Seems like the best and most equitable fee would be on per mile use. But then that is Texas.
That sounds fair to me (and I am an EV fan). EVs are much heavier than the average ICE vehicle and therefore causes more stress and damage on the roads. Why shouldn't they pay more?

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That sounds fair to me (and I am an EV fan). EVs are much heavier than the average ICE vehicle and therefore causes more stress and damage on the roads. Why shouldn't they pay more?

Kurt
Here's the breakdown of additional cost to Ev in Idaho. If you don't want to sort through it, there is an additional charge to register an EV of like $100, plus an annual surcharge of $140. PHEVs pay $75 more per year. Those who analyze such things say the charge far exceeds the damage they do.

Here's the whole article: https://www.idahopress.com/news/loc...cle_562d0ac9-78c3-5179-9d22-383ee9f684b4.html

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Here's the breakdown of additional cost to Ev in Idaho. If you don't want to sort through it, there is an additional charge to register an EV of like $100, plus an annual surcharge of $140. PHEVs pay $75 more per year. Those who analyze such things say the charge far exceeds the damage they do.

Here's the whole article: https://www.idahopress.com/news/loc...cle_562d0ac9-78c3-5179-9d22-383ee9f684b4.html
Something doesn't add up with your numbers.

In the article, it said Idaho's gas tax was $0.32/gal. Take the typical driver who drives 15K mi/year. At 25 mpg (which is generous as an average, with all the SUVs, trucks, etc.), that is 600 gallons of gas per year. At $0.32/gal tax, the ICE vehicle is paying $192 in gas tax every year. Compare that to the $140 surcharge for EVs, it sound like EVs are getting a good deal in Idaho.

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Something doesn't add up with your numbers.

In the article, it said Idaho's gas tax was $0.32/gal. Take the typical driver who drives 15K mi/year. At 25 mpg (which is generous as an average, with all the SUVs, trucks, etc.), that is 600 gallons of gas per year. At $0.32/gal tax, the ICE vehicle is paying $192 in gas tax every year. Compare that to the $140 surcharge for EVs, it sound like EVs are getting a good deal in Idaho.

Kurt
They aren't MY numbers, but OK. EVs also are on the plus side of the equation even if the owners charge from the grid with our $,09kWh average cost of electrons.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
A while back I posted a thread about extracting Lithium from Brine. The area was the south end of the Salton Sea. This is in Imperial County, California.

There has been some talk about the success of the project, but the information has been guarded. My guess is the company is trying to keep quite until it is really rolling. This is a blur from LA Television about the success.