• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

You're Being Lied to About Electric Cars

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Brett

Reaction score

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't try to present @Carolinian with facts; it just confuses him. I think he'd rather just believe the memes posted on his far-right websites.

And with that I brought this thread full circle from where I started it.

Kurt

Actually, most of my posts on electric car fires and battery problems come from local news sites, usually local TV stations or from major British daily newspapers.

I would rather keep my MGB even if they gave me one of those for free.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Popular plug-in hybrids work quietly as training wheels for EV revolution

The cars that get you addicted to driving electric

Plug-in hybrids are the quiet workhorses of the electric revolution

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2023/05/04/plug-in-hybrids-gateway-evs/

In 2022, plug-in hybrids accounted for almost 30 percent of all electric cars sold, and their sales are rising faster than fully electric vehicles.

If anyone actually read the article that @Carolinian posted, it contained the following statistics:

1683901101494.png

Not sure how exactly these stats are calculated, but by those numbers - hybrids are the most likely to catch fire - because hybrids are inherently the most complex of all three vehicle types. BEVs are the least complex of the three types - and the data shows that due to the limited complexity of BEVs - they actually have the lowest risk of catching fire. While the risk/rate is lowest for BEVs, there's no arguing that when a battery catches fire - it's a dangerous proposition given the chemistry used in most battery packs today. As other battery pack tech comes to market, such as sodium ion battery packs, that don't use lithium, hopefully the new tech also has positive impacts on battery fire safety for vehicle occupants and fire extinguishing practices.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would rather keep my MGB even if they gave me one of those for free.
That's great. I fully support everyone to drive what they prefer to drive, but the facts are that one if more likely to have a fire in a conventional fuel car vs. an EV. And constantly posting articles about individual incidents of EV fires with the intent to show how "dangerous" they are is just fear-mongering.

Kurt

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's great. I fully support everyone to drive what they prefer to drive, but the facts are that one if more likely to have a fire in a conventional fuel car vs. an EV. And constantly posting articles about individual incidents of EV fires with the intent to show how "dangerous" they are is just fear-mongering.

Kurt

A gasoline based fire does not spread nearly as quickly as the thermal runaway in an EV. Even safer are diesel powered cars, as diesel is much less flamable than gas or lithium.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A gasoline based fire does not spread nearly as quickly as the thermal runaway in an EV. Even safer are diesel powered cars, as diesel is much less flamable than gas or lithium.
To carry your posit to it's logical conclusion, horses and buggies are safer yet due to the FAR less flammable nature of hay and horses**t.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Once you understand Milankovich cycles and earth science just a bit, you will realize how insignificant atmospheric co2 is. Once you realize this, the rationale of it all is diminished and the motivations appear to be profit.

Bill

Brett

Reaction score
To carry your posit to it's logical conclusion, horses and buggies are safer yet due to the FAR less flammable nature of hay and horses**t.

I like horses but when the oil wells eventually run dry I hope we don't have to depend on horses for transportation

Brett

Reaction score
Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like horses but when the oil wells eventually run dry I hope we don't have to depend on horses for transportation
Funny how 120 years ago, everybody had horses, and only the very wealthy had cars. Now EVERYBODY has cars and only the wealthy have horses. Go figure.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Funny how 120 years ago, everybody had horses, and only the very wealthy had cars. Now EVERYBODY has cars and only the wealthy have horses. Go figure.

I call this progress.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A gasoline based fire does not spread nearly as quickly as the thermal runaway in an EV.
For every one of your fear-mongering, fact-lacking statements on how unsafe EVs are, I can find one of these:

However, what you don't seem to understand is that showing individual incidents means nothing.

Kurt

Brett

Reaction score
Era of AM radio crackles off into sunset

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/05/13/am-radio-electric-cars/

"Automakers, such as BMW, Volkswagen, Mazda and Tesla, are removing AM radios from new electric vehicles because electric engines can interfere with the sound of AM stations.
And Ford, one of the nation's top-three auto sellers, is taking a bigger step, eliminating AM from all of its vehicles, electric or gas-operated."

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Era of AM radio crackles off into sunset

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/05/13/am-radio-electric-cars/

"Automakers, such as BMW, Volkswagen, Mazda and Tesla, are removing AM radios from new electric vehicles because electric engines can interfere with the sound of AM stations.
And Ford, one of the nation's top-three auto sellers, is taking a bigger step, eliminating AM from all of its vehicles, electric or gas-operated."

I wonder how many people use am radio anyway.

Bill

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been listening to a local AM station when driving the vehicle that doesn't have XM

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All of my radios have access to am radio but I have so many other options that I rarely listen to am or fm anymore. I think I tuned in a channel for a pass report a few years ago.

Bill