• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

You're Being Lied to About Electric Cars

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Acticle from MotorTrend:

Science has repeatedly shown EVs are better for humans, despite the meme you just retweeted (or posted on TUG)​

Kurt

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
There will come a time that ice will be replaced by most likely ev's. The reason will be that technology will make ice obsolete. Some of the tech they have been working on is solar farms in space transmitting power to satellites that send the power to the grid or wirelessly to ev's. Solar panels will collect more power in space because of no atmosphere diffusing the sun's radiation. Each satellite would be capable of transmitting 2 gw to the grid or where ever needed. 2 gw is the equivalent of a nuclear power plant.

Until technology makes these gains and implements them, ice has all of the advantages over ev's including the issues in the article you posted. It's going to happen sooner than any of us think but longer than some of wish, imo.

Bill

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I'd like to see a comparison of the energy used to prepare and deliver a full tank of gas vs a full battery charge.

My local Senior Center has an EV bus, the small 18 passenger on a dually chassis, with a solar panel charging station set up in the parking lot. That thing is efficient and environment friendly, Beam EV Arc.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We will discover a new source of power before every car becomes and EV. Batteries are not the long term answer for energy storage. Current batteries require rare metals that are not plentiful without disruptive mining, and the costs will only continue to increase. I believe that in the next 100-200 years vehicles will be much smaller and lighter and may be seen more above ground than on the ground.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember the Salton Sea and extracting Lithium from brine. Search for Controlled Thermal Resources, a company spearheading the process. So far everything is looking very promising. I posted an article about the company.

Brett posted an article about the drop in mineral prices on another thread. We are a ways off, but the evolution in transportation, energy production, grid upgrades is still moving ahead.

I remember Bill Gates's mother asking him "why would anyone want a computer on their desk".

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
We will discover a new source of power before every car becomes and EV. Batteries are not the long term answer for energy storage. Current batteries require rare metals that are not plentiful without disruptive mining, and the costs will only continue to increase. I believe that in the next 100-200 years vehicles will be much smaller and lighter and may be seen more above ground than on the ground.

Contrary to popular opinion - lithium is actually plentiful - and the types of batteries increasingly being used for mass production BEVs are moving away from the rare minerals such as cobalt or nickel. LFP batteries - Lithium Iron Phosphate - don't have any rare minerals for example. These batteries are in every Tesla M3 standard range vehicle. Prices of battery minerals have actually decreased on average over 20% over the past year as supply chain issues have eased. I'm sure new power sources will come to market - but there is simply no beating solar power - every day the sun shines down 5000% of current global power consumption onto the earth. Storing that power is always going to be in scope since the sun doesn't shine 24/7 - which is why there's an increasing focus on energy storage.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
O'Rileys auto parts has this product in their catalog. It's not available yet, lol.

Bill

Product Information

• Gigawatts: 121
  • Material Compatibility: Plutonium
  • Working Speed (mph): 88
  • Maximum Power: 121 Gigawatts

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
O'Rileys auto parts has this product in their catalog. It's not available yet, lol.

Bill

Product Information

• Gigawatts: 121
  • Material Compatibility: Plutonium
  • Working Speed (mph): 88
  • Maximum Power: 121 Gigawatts
Remember, if you rewire it, and give the machine a lot more speed, you can go through mountains with it.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
When companies start selling teleporters, we will get the same nay sayers, “go through one of those and your organs get flipped around” “one person was teleported into the middle of a 4 lane highway and got run over” “government should ban them as they haven’t been tested for 50 years like electric cars were” etc etc.

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
When companies start selling teleporters, we will get the same nay sayers, “go through one of those and your organs get flipped around”...
Thus, it will need approval from both the FAA and FDA.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
When companies start selling teleporters, we will get the same nay sayers, “go through one of those and your organs get flipped around” “one person was teleported into the middle of a 4 lane highway and got run over” “government should ban them as they haven’t been tested for 50 years like electric cars were” etc etc.
You missed the McCoy conundrum. . .

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Contrary to popular opinion - lithium is actually plentiful - and the types of batteries increasingly being used for mass production BEVs are moving away from the rare minerals such as cobalt or nickel. LFP batteries - Lithium Iron Phosphate - don't have any rare minerals for example. These batteries are in every Tesla M3 standard range vehicle. Prices of battery minerals have actually decreased on average over 20% over the past year as supply chain issues have eased. I'm sure new power sources will come to market - but there is simply no beating solar power - every day the sun shines down 5000% of current global power consumption onto the earth. Storing that power is always going to be in scope since the sun doesn't shine 24/7 - which is why there's an increasing focus on energy storage.
But a vast amount of lithium isn't easily accessable and the cost would go up significantly if we had to mine it. Getting it from saltwater is another option, but again a lot of infrastructure would need to be put in place. Then there's the issue with container ships, airplanes, etc.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
But a vast amount of lithium isn't easily accessable and the cost would go up significantly if we had to mine it. Getting it from saltwater is another option, but again a lot of infrastructure would need to be put in place. Then there's the issue with container ships, airplanes, etc.

Considering that fresh water is becoming scarce; and more important to our species survival than anything else -- extracting lithium could be a by-product of large-scale desalination.

Just desalinating is hard enough -- then we have to get the water to the places which don't/won't have any. Barring that, we will see the largest diaspora in human history.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm 76, just bought a gas powered pickup. It'll probably last 20 years. I couldn't give a rat's behind what you people drive 20 years from now, I don't care what gender you want to be associated with, I don't care what wars you think are necessary, I don't care if you ponder if peanut butter is healthy or not. I'm retired and I'm going to enjoy the next 20 no matter what issue you think is going to save the planet from destruction.

Summer is coming, it's nearly gin and tonic season. How to make a proper one is something to ponder and discuss.

Brett

Reaction score
I'm 76, just bought a gas powered pickup. It'll probably last 20 years. I couldn't give a rat's behind what you people drive 20 years from now, I don't care what gender you want to be associated with, I don't care what wars you think are necessary, I don't care if you ponder if peanut butter is healthy or not. I'm retired and I'm going to enjoy the next 20 no matter what issue you think is going to save the planet from destruction.

Summer is coming, it's nearly gin and tonic season. How to make a proper one is something to ponder and discuss.