• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham limiting access by non-owners during most sought-after dates/locations

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
They offered the weekend before and after. My son in law has very limited PTO. That's why they wanted Labor Day. Moving is not a good option. They will look for other things.
I'm sorry they couldn't give you what they wanted. I assume you were not traveling with your daughter and son-in-law? I ask because I am wondering if it makes a difference if the owner is traveling with them, and they booked a separate room for someone else.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I'm sorry they couldn't give you what they wanted. I assume you were not traveling with your daughter and son-in-law? I ask because I am wondering if it makes a difference if the owner is traveling with them, and they booked a separate room for someone else.

Correct-we are watching their three kids. :) Their first getaway since their youngest was born.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with owners who rent. What is wrong is Wyndham limiting reservations to only owners. Everyone pays the monthly fees. Just because one is better at getting top reservations should not be held against them. Everyone has the opportunity to learn how.
Nothing wrong with owners who rent. What is wrong is Wyndham limiting reservations to only owners. Everyone pays the monthly fees. Just because one is better at getting top reservations should not be held against them. Everyone has the opportunity to learn how.
I wonder if a reservation would be canceled if a owner rented to another Wyndham owner?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I wonder if a reservation would be canceled if a owner rented to another Wyndham owner?

I'd guess that yes it would be cancelled. The system would see that a guest confirmation was added and trigger the cancellation. Who the guest is wouldn't factor in.

ladawgfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Platinum owner at various resorts
Has anyone received a definitive answer whether a guest reservation that begins outside of a peak period but ends within a peak period will be cancelled? For example 6/19-6/26. (The first day of the Independence Day period is 6/25) Or does an Independence Day peak period reservation only apply to reservations beginning between 6/25 & 7/9. Similarly, would a 5/22/21-5/29 guest reservation be cancelled ?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Has anyone received a definitive answer whether a guest reservation that begins outside of a peak period but ends within a peak period will be cancelled? For example 6/19-6/26. (The first day of the Independence Day period is 6/25) Or does an Independence Day peak period reservation only apply to reservations beginning between 6/25 & 7/9. Similarly, would a 5/22/21-5/29 guest reservation be cancelled ?
See post #153

ladawgfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m still trying to find out whether a guest reservation that ends on the first day of a peak period is subject to cancellation. For example, will a guest reservation from 6/18 to 6/25 be cancelled? 6/25 is the first day of the Independence Day peak period. Is the checkout date of 6/25 for the guest reservation considered an overlap or is the last day of the guest reservation period 6/24.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I’m still trying to find out whether a guest reservation that ends on the first day of a peak period is subject to cancellation. For example, will a guest reservation from 6/18 to 6/25 be cancelled? 6/25 is the first day of the Independence Day peak period. Is the checkout date of 6/25 for the guest reservation considered an overlap or is the last day of the guest reservation period 6/24.

I don't believe it would be cancelled because that's the day of check out after the final night of the stay, not a night the guest would be staying.

ladawgfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If anyone actually encounters this situation over the Memorial Day or Independence Day peak period (with a guest reservation check-out of 5/28 or 6/24) please post what Wyndham actually does. I've thought about burning a guest reservation to test it out but I'm hoping someone else knows for sure so I don't have to waste one.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Earlier I told Richelle I'd post a list of all the questions/concerns/clarifications requested that I (as well as reviewing other comments here on TUG) had and she had someone she would try to run it by. Thanks for the reminder to get this done. Here's my list for you @Richelle (my questions, tried to capture other comments in this thread but stopped when things seemed to get too 'out there' for this topic):

*Please define 'subject to cancelation'.
- Will 100% of all reservations at the list resorts/dates be canceled for the remainder of year when a guest confirmation is added or will some reservations be honored?
- Will the cancelation happen immediately when the guest confirmation is added, is it automatic, or is it a manual process?
- If it doesn't happen immediately, is the reservation 'safe' or is it subject to cancelation up until the day of checkin?
*Regarding reservations with a partial number of nights in the blackout period. What happens if a reservation extends into or out of a blackout period? For example, what if I have booked Jun 20-27 for my cousin but haven't yet put the guest certificate on their reservation. Only the last 2 nights are in the blackout period. Will the entire reservation be subject to cancellation when I add my cousin as the guest?
*Are you making one-off exceptions to this policy? If so, please advise what kind of rules/exceptions we can expect to be followed and whom we should call for an exception? If and exception is granted, how will that be notated on the reservation?
* What if I have an existing reservation not in the blackout period, add a guest, and later add a night that then causes the entire reservation to extend into the blackout period. Does it now become 'subject to cancellation'?
* How does Travel and Leasure fit in? They have access and do list some Club Wyndham properties on their vacation package searches

Thank you!

Sorry for the delay.

1. What factors did you consider when deciding which resorts to add to the list?

There were three main factors that helped them decide what resorts should be on the list. These are in no particular order. They determined which resorts had a high number of guest certificate reservations. They determined which resorts were in demand, by looking at the searches to see what resorts people searched for availability the most. Then they looked at occupancy levels. He could not tell me what weight each factor had because he did not know, but those are the factors they considered

2. Please define 'subject to cancelation'.

By using the words “subject to cancelation” they are allowing themselves room to make exceptions on a case-by-case basis.

3. Will other resorts be added later?

There are no plans to, but it has not been ruled out. They removed Skyline. If they can remove one, it is safe to say they can add one. He said there were no meetings or anything to talk about adding anything to the list. To be safe though, I would suggest you assume it could be. If your reservation falls on a major holiday, just add the GC.

4. Will 100% of all reservations at the list resorts/dates be canceled for the remainder of the year when a guest confirmation is added, or will some reservations be honored?

Only the resorts in the list, for the dates specified, are subject to cancellation. Exceptions are made on a case-by-case basis. There are no plans to lift the policy. Reservations with guest certificates that were booked prior to March 15th will still be honored.

5. Will the cancelation happen immediately when the guest confirmation is added, is it automatic, or is it a manual process?

This one he could not speak to because it is not in his wheelhouse. He was not sure he would be able to share it if he did. I did not push it. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say it is automatic. They probably gave it 48 hours, so the owner could call and plead their case before the reservation was lost.

6. If it does not happen immediately, is the reservation 'safe' or is it subject to cancelation up until the day of check in?

No, it is not safe. Even if the system does not catch it, the resort is supposed to, and they are supposed to have the owner call the call center. I did ask, if someone added the GC right before the owner checked in, what would happen. He said the resorts are supposed to catch it and direct the owner to call the call center.

7. Regarding reservations with a partial number of nights in the blackout period. What happens if a reservation extends into or out of a blackout period? For example, what if I have booked Jun 20-27 for my cousin but haven't yet put the guest certificate on their reservation. Only the last 2 nights are in the blackout period. Will the entire reservation be subject to cancellation when I add my cousin as the guest?

Originally, it was only if your check-in date fell within the blackout dates, it was subject to cancellation. People figured that out and started booking reservations one day before the blackout period. Now the policy is if any part of the reservation falls in that blackout period, it will be subject to cancellation.

8. Are you making one-off exceptions to this policy? If so, please advise what kind of rules/exceptions we can expect to be followed and whom we should call for an exception? If an exception is granted, how will that be notated on the reservation?

Rentals are a hard no on the exceptions (his words). Aside from that, it depends on the circumstances. One example he gave is if they spent $10,000 on airfare to fly 10 members of his family to Hawaii. I know a woman who was sending her daughter and SIL on vacation and it got canceled. She plead her case, but they did not make an exception. I saw another person who was doing a family vacation get an exception. I suspect that reservations where the owner is traveling with them, are more likely to get exceptions than anything else. He was not able to provide more details because he’s not part of the team that makes those decisions. I assume they have a way of marking the reservation, otherwise, they wouldn’t be able to do a case-by-case basis. I would suggest calling the main number, and if you don't get any help, ask to speak to Owner Care.

9. What if I have an existing reservation not in the blackout period, add a guest, and later add a night that then causes the entire reservation to extend into the blackout period. Does it now become 'subject to cancellation'?

If the extra night added falls into the blackout period, it will be subject to cancellation. So triple-check the dates before adding a day.

10. How does Travel and Leisure fit in? They have access and do list some Club Wyndham properties on their vacation package searches

I have only done a few searches, but none of the Club Wyndham resorts I searched for showed up in the searches for those dates.

11. Will this continue to 2022?

This has not been ruled out. Given how many people seem to love the idea, I would say assume it will happen again next year.

12. (I asked this during the meeting.) Why the last-minute notice?

They had a set date that they needed to put this in place, but there were a lot of details they had to work through before they could notify the owner. Unfortunately, they did not get the details worked out in enough time to give any advance notice to the owner.

VAlegacy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got an exception today. I gifted 4 nights to a friend of ours at BC June 2-6th. I incorrectly assumed June 2nd was the ending date, just like a reservation.
To be honest, the lady seemed like she didn't care that much. She bluntly told me she and everyone else in her office was sick of having to do this, and was frustrated Wyndham couldn't manually block out GC for these dates.
From what I understand the process is the person who answers the call decides whether to forward the exception on to their supervisor. If the supervisor approves, it gets submitted. She told me if you received an email of the cancellation, it's probably too late.
She suggested booking, then calling for an exception shortly thereafter.
YMMV

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I got an exception today. I gifted 4 nights to a friend of ours at BC June 2-6th. I incorrectly assumed June 2nd was the ending date, just like a reservation.
To be honest, the lady seemed like she didn't care that much. She bluntly told me she and everyone else in her office was sick of having to do this, and was frustrated Wyndham couldn't manually block out GC for these dates.
From what I understand the process is the person who answers the call decides whether to forward the exception on to their supervisor. If the supervisor approves, it gets submitted. She told me if you received an email of the cancellation, it's probably too late.
She suggested booking, then calling for an exception shortly thereafter.
YMMV
Thanks for posting. I assumed a June 2 checkin was okay. Glad you were able to get the exception and appreciate you posting your experience.

FamilyValue

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
There was a line in parentheses at the end of what you were quoting.

Any guest reservations made after March 15, 2021, at the resorts listed below during the select peak travel periods will be subject to cancellation (including guests added to an existing reservation after March 15)

Hopefully it answers your question. It goes on to say:

If you book a guest reservation after March 15, you’ll be notified of the reservation cancellation via email. All points, housekeeping credits, reservations transactions, and guest confirmations will be returned within 5-7 business days of the cancellation.

I did not get the email, so maybe the wording is different on it. I’m getting this from the announcement on the webpage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wyndham is getting smart in this move where they prevent owners renting their points out to their family and friends. Wyndham lists certain 'peak dates' at certain resorts but we know they are not accurate. We try to book for our church friends and cannot find anything and we are in platinum level. It seems that they try to block 'megarenters' but isn't Wynhdam who sells those points? I guess Wyndham does not like to be outsmart. We've been very favor with Wyndham but now have 2nd thought.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
cannot find anything
That’s a totally different issue. Availability is tight. A lot of people moved points from 2020 to 2021. If you can’t find anything, it’s because it’s booked.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham is getting smart in this move where they prevent owners renting their points out to their family and friends. Wyndham lists certain 'peak dates' at certain resorts but we know they are not accurate. We try to book for our church friends and cannot find anything and we are in platinum level. It seems that they try to block 'megarenters' but isn't Wynhdam who sells those points? I guess Wyndham does not like to be outsmart. We've been very favor with Wyndham but now have 2nd thought.
Now your seeing the big picture.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s a totally different issue. Availability is tight. A lot of people moved points from 2020 to 2021. If you can’t find anything, it’s because it’s booked.
Im sure they can find it on extra holidays or expedia. Wyndham rents the inventory they own instead of making it available for owners to book reservations.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Im sure they can find it on extra holidays or expedia. Wyndham rents the inventory they own instead of making it available for owners to book reservations.
I did not see anything on Extra Holiday, Travelocity, or booking.com for the Memorial Day weekend at Bonnet Creek. I thought Wyndham indicated they would honor the block, and it looks to me like they did. Did you (or anyone else) find otherwise? Looking at extraholidays now, they've also blocked the 4th of July dates, Thanksgiving, and end of year, at Bonnet Creek (I have not checked all resorts). (Ironically, as much as most of us don't think turning our rooms over to Extra Holiday's is a good idea anyways, those that do are getting hurt by this, too).
I really do think a lot of this is a supply and demand thing. People are ready to travel, things are booking more quickly than ever right now. People want to travel and have the points to do so. If you are looking for discounted rooms, the pickings are slim. Now, more than ever, people need to plan. We have 2 big vacations coming up. Daytona Beach in August that we booked in January. Glacier Canyon in September, we booked that in December. (3 and 4 br units). What are you trying to book and not able to find?

9969hi

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed today several rentals show up on Redweek for the 4th of July weekend at Bonnet Creek as something changed ,how can these people getting a guest certificate.?

VacayKat

Reaction score
I noticed today several rentals show up on Redweek for the 4th of July weekend at Bonnet Creek as something changed ,how can these people getting a guest certificate.?
Not sure if this is the case, but it doesn't cancel your booking until you add the guest cert- and you don't do that until you've rented it. Basically you can try to rent anything you want, Wyndham isn't monitoring pre-guest cert bookings. It's once you do go to try to add a guest that problems show up. [was just looking at bonnet creek rules yesterday, it's still a no-go] SO- word to the wise, don't book that rental!

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was curious so went on Extra Holidays and found a couple rentals at Wyndham Cypress Palms in Orlando for over the 4th of July. Is this resort exempt or doesn't the policy apply to Wyndham.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Was curious so went on Extra Holidays and found a couple rentals at Wyndham Cypress Palms in Orlando for over the 4th of July. Is this resort exempt or doesn't the policy apply to Wyndham.

It only applies to select resorts per the links shared within this thread:

Cypress Palms is not on the list.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Planning is priority one when working with Wyndham Points. If more than 60 days out it doesn’t matter if no discounts are involved for booking. Less than 60 days with discount means some type of VIP ownership. I would think any owners who have that much money involved would be learning everything they can about the booking and inventory process. The way around the GC cancellation is owner or owners be onsite to check guest in. I have 6 names on my account so if was worth the drive or airfare for someone to go to check renters in during a block out GC period that is what I would do. I’m sure one of my kids would love a free round trip plane ticket. Yep that right a loophole lol.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Planning is priority one when working with Wyndham Points. If more than 60 days out it doesn’t matter if no discounts are involved for booking. Less than 60 days with discount means some type of VIP ownership. I would think any owners who have that much money involved would be learning everything they can about the booking and inventory process. The way around the GC cancellation is owner or owners be onsite to check guest in. I have 6 names on my account so if was worth the drive or airfare for someone to go to check renters in during a block out GC period that is what I would do. I’m sure one of my kids would love a free round trip plane ticket. Yep that right a loophole lol.
except not everyone is going to want to shell out money for a rental that isn't in their name even up to check in day. Yes you might get someone who is a wyndham owner and realizes this is the only way to get a rental for a holiday period but others will assume it's a scam. I couldn't imagine going to any fly to or far drive to location after paying thousands and just hoping the owner will show up to check me in.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
except not everyone is going to want to shell out money for a rental that isn't in their name even up to check in day. Yes you might get someone who is a wyndham owner and realizes this is the only way to get a rental for a holiday period but others will assume it's a scam. I couldn't imagine going to any fly to or far drive to location after paying thousands and just hoping the owner will show up to check me in.

Im certain with over 13,000 posts you have a ton of experience. You must also know people(renters) will do a lot of unexpected things if proof can be had. I only meant this could wrk for me not necessarily others.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 6 names on my account so if was worth the drive or airfare for someone to go to check renters in during a block out GC period that is what I would do.
There would have to be a pretty good margin for this to make sense---especially because there would need to be a different name (and hence owner buying airfare) checking in each of those units. I mean, maybe, but this seems so unlikely that it is not worth worrying about.