• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham limiting access by non-owners during most sought-after dates/locations

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Aw TUG, what's happening to us? I had to read this on Facebook first?

This will be interesting. I imagine you could still book and turn reservations over to ExtraHolidays. That seems kind of a conflict of interest to me. It's not detailed out any where, just me speculating.

I wish they would say when they will cancel the reservation. Immediately upon adding the guest name or up until checkin? That's pretty important to know.

Probably worst hit is to owners who need guest confirmations for family and friends traveling with them. IMO. I'd be pretty upset if that affected my family reunion plans (it does not).

In case you didn't get the letter...

Club Wyndham Spring Is Almost Here
Dear XXXXX Family,
As we near the spring vacation season, I couldn’t be more excited to hear more owners are making travel plans. Like many of you, my family sees an opportunity to go on vacation soon and I can’t wait!

Many owners put their vacations on hold last year. As more people look to get away, catch up on celebrating important milestones, and check off bucket list destinations, we are noticing an increase in owners planning their vacations. As you start to plan your next vacation, we’re working to ensure owners have access to as much availability as possible.

One way we are prioritizing owner reservations is by temporarily limiting access by non-owners at a few of your favorite Club Wyndham locations for the most sought-after dates. We’ll continue to monitor reservation bookings and resort availability so we can help owners get on vacation.

You’ve also shared with us that staying flexible is top of mind and of great importance to you, so we have extended our flexible cancellation policy to areas that have been impacted by state and local restrictions to ensure you can book with peace of mind.

Wherever your vacation plans take you, your resorts are Vacation Ready for your next stay. Enhanced health and safety measures and Ecolab’s cutting edge virus-fighting products mean you can travel with confidence.

Let us help you get back on vacation. We’re ready to welcome you home!

Regards,
Geoff Richards
Geoff Richards
Chief Operating Officer
Wyndham Destinations

FROM THE WEBSITE:

Owners Get Priority Reservations For Peak Holidays
Ready. Set. Go. You’ve shared that you’re looking forward to traveling again — and your Club Wyndham resorts are Vacation Ready to welcome you back for safe and clean bucket list adventures. As you start to plan your next vacation, we’re working to ensure owners have access to as much availability as possible.
As your resorts prepare for their busiest season ahead, several popular Club Wyndham resorts are taking steps to prioritize your owner reservations by temporarily limiting access by non-owners, including guest reservations, during peak holiday travel dates this year. What does this mean for you? You’ll have maximum availability and opportunity to vacation during major holidays.
All existing guest reservations on the books will be honored. Any guest reservations made after March 15, 2021, at the resorts listed below during the select peak travel periods will be subject to cancellation (including guests added to an existing reservation after March 15). If you book a guest reservation after March 15, you’ll be notified of the reservation cancellation via email. All points, housekeeping credits, reservations transactions, and guest confirmations will be returned within 5-7 business days of the cancellation.
This doesn’t mean you can’t share vacations with family and friends at all this year. Outside of the select resorts and travel periods, guest reservations can still be made at the other 200+ resorts available to you.
Here are the resorts and peak travel time periods that will limit access by guests:
Memorial Day (May 28 – June 2)
  • Club Wyndham Bonnet Creek
  • Club Wyndham Governor’s Green
  • Club Wyndham Skyline Towers
  • Club Wyndham National Harbor
Independence Day (June 25 – July 9)
  • Club Wyndham Skyline Tower
  • Club Wyndham Midtown 45
  • Club Wyndham Desert Blue
  • Club Wyndham Austin
  • Club Wyndham Riverside Suites
  • Club Wyndham La Cascada
  • Club Wyndham Park City
Labor Day (Sept. 3-8)
  • Club Wyndham Glacier Canyon
  • Club Wyndham National Harbor
  • Club Wyndham Old Town Alexandria
  • Club Wyndham Panama City Beach
  • Club Wyndham Emerald Grande at Destin
  • Club Wyndham at Majestic Sun
  • Club Wyndham Riverside Suites
  • Club Wyndham La Cascada
  • Club Wyndham Park City
Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Year’s Eve (Nov. 19-27 & Dec. 17 – Jan. 2, 2022)
  • Club Wyndham Santa Barbara
  • Club Wyndham Sea Gardens
  • Club Wyndham Royal Vista
  • Club Wyndham Palm-Aire
  • Club Wyndham Cypress Palms
  • Club Wyndham Star Island
  • Club Wyndham Reunion
  • Club Wyndham Midtown 45
  • Club Wyndham Harbour Lights
  • Club Wyndham Great Smokies Lodge
  • Club Wyndham Glacier Canyon
  • Margaritaville Vacation Club by Wyndham - St. Thomas
  • Club Wyndham Elysian Beach Resort
  • Club Wyndham Resort at Avon (Only limited from Dec. 17 – Jan. 2)
  • Club Wyndham Park City (Only limited from Dec. 17 – Jan. 2)

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I received the email at 8:18pm ET tonight. I don't have any reservations that this affects but I'm sure other people do. With a deadline of midnight to have a guest added to any reservation that would be affected it sure didn't give anyone much time. If a person were at work, busy doing something or out for the evening they would have missed the very short window of opportunity to add a guest. Something like this should have had 24-72 hours notice. Very poorly done, Wyndham, it's just low.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably worst to hit owners who need guest confirmations for family and friends traveling with them.
I’m imagining it might also effect people hoping to rent those periods out after obtaining a VIP discount. It’s probably no accident that 3/15 is just outside the 60 day mark for Memorial Day.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
How in the world does Clearwater not make this list, when its the hardest resort in the whole system to book?

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
OMG how else can Wyndham screw us over? Between Wyndham and guests confirming and then not paying I guess it’s a contest. Lol
All part of Wyndhams plan to squeeze out the owners renting for owners looking to book for personal use.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they will limit their renting of inventory they control to non owners?
Not very likely their policy has always been do what I say not what I do! We all know policy or rules are a moving target and can be changed when they feel its necessary. These changes may not always help the VIP owner renting while using the VIP discounts or free upgrades. It will help the average owner looking to book 1-2 vacations a year as this change may free up inventory that otherwise would be rented.

bryjake

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access, Midtown 45
Sharing my opinion / perspective, this might be an unpopular...

Is Club Wyndham a resource for owners to go on vacation?
Or
Is Club Wyndham more of a tool to supplement owners by renting to others?

The answer is more than likely a blend of the two (Favoring vacation over renters)

This decision could help more typical owners book for high seasons and that is not a bad or Boo Wyndham thing

Covid left a lot of club points out there
In my opinion, this temporarily levels some of the playing field

I do hope this is TEMPORY
These are unpredictable times
I choose to give Club Wyndham the benefit of the doubt for this decision
Perhaps their motivation is as it reads, to help owners go on vacation

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
The dates affected are all inside of the 10 month booking window. I would think that owners booking for relatives would have secured their reservations with guest certificates by now for those prime locations.

The policy does give owners an opportunity to book reservations in the future from cancellations for their use without competing with those desiring to rent for profit.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sharing my opinion / perspective, this might be an unpopular...

Is Club Wyndham a resource for owners to go on vacation?
Or
Is Club Wyndham more of a tool to supplement owners by renting to others?

The answer is more than likely a blend of the two (Favoring vacation over renters)

This decision could help more typical owners book for high seasons and that is not a bad or Boo Wyndham thing

Covid left a lot of club points out there
In my opinion, this temporarily levels some of the playing field

I do hope this is TEMPORY
These are unpredictable times
I choose to give Club Wyndham the benefit of the doubt for this decision
Perhaps their motivation is as it reads, to help owners go on vacation
Yes it is to free up inventory and to limit rentals. In the process it may shake out a few more players of the rental game. The end result is freeing up inventory for owners personal use while eliminating their competition to Extra Holidays. I would say its like hitting two birds with one stone.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
How in the world does Clearwater not make this list, when its the hardest resort in the whole system to book?
It is an interesting list, for sure. Wonder how it was derived?

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
The dates affected are all inside of the 10 month booking window. I would think that owners booking for relatives would have secured their reservations with guest certificates by now for those prime locations.

The policy does give owners an opportunity to book reservations in the future from cancellations for their use without competing with those desiring to rent for profit.
If they were booking for relatives, they needed more time than 4 hours to put their guest certificates on. I wait til the last minute. Especially with family. Sometimes day of. Never know who is arriving first, which spouse, etc. Family is the worst to try and plan for.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Yes it is to free up inventory and to limit rentals. In the process it may shake out a few more players of the rental game. The end result is freeing up inventory for owners personal use while eliminating their competition to Extra Holidays. I would say its like hitting two birds with one stone.
I see it as a win for Extra Holidays. My assumption is I can still turn rooms over to Extra Holidays. How did that free up rooms for other owners?

bryjake

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is an interesting list, for sure. Wonder how it was derived?

To be really sinister and conspiracy theory based:
THEY ALL HAVE SALES CENTERS?

That could cut either way, renters going to sales pitches has always been there just as extra holidays going to sales pitch
Their risk is an empty room with no one going to sales pitch

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Probably worst hit is to owners who need guest confirmations for family and friends traveling with them. IMO. I'd be pretty upset if that affected my family reunion plans (it does not).
My first thought as well, and I'm glad that our summer vacation with family is booked for a 4BR instead of multiple smaller units that might need GCs. For people still looking to book a summer vacation with family (not inconceivable that it would be this late given the uncertainty), they certainly would be more likely to have to piece together multiple smaller units rather than booking a single larger unit, and thus more likely face an issue with GCs. This seems like it's likely to anger as many owners as it benefits.

Edit: and I agree, it is a weird list.

PhilD41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
I am in the mixed feeling camp. I can understand why they did it... assuming their motives are pure. I can also see this causing a problem for families, which is the main reason most purchase Wyndham. I have a nephew that is headed to Myrtle beach for a honeymoon and a wife and daughter headed to Galena for a girls weekend soon. Fortunately neither will be effected, but if they would have been we would likely be out both trips. We also usually book, then wait till the 60 day window and look for discounts. If we find something we rebook then cancel. With this, that would not be an option as you risk the new booking being canceled when you add the guest information... to be fair, availability at these resorts in the 60 day window is pretty slim.

I am also trying to learn to rent some to offset MF. So far I am far enough behind the game there that this doesn't really matter much. Assuming it is temporary though, now I know what resorts to target for what holidays going forward. :) Regardless, I hope this change doesn't mess up too many owner's plans with their family. I have learned, if anything, that Wyndham owners tend to be loud. I expect they will let Wyndham know exactly what they think if it does.

bryjake

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I see it as a win for Extra Holidays. My assumption is I can still turn rooms over to Extra Holidays. How did that free up rooms for other owners?

Right now it is a buyers market
Room rates have been significantly slashed across the board for everyone
Too much supply and not enough demand

I currently do NOT rent but would reasonably suspect that rentals are also going for lower fares as well
Once you consider that renting through ExtraHolidays once you subtract Wyndhams cut does not seem that profitable in this environment

Extra Holidays currently has up to 30% off for a long list of locations through June
https://www.extraholidays.com/promo...Identifier=DISCOVER21&utm_content=Banner-Hero

This is near term focused and currently does not impact July4th, Labor Day, Thankgiving, Christmas / New Years

Just suggests to me that there are rooms available

The only consistent element is everything is subject to change

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Funny thing, I don't know if the Worldmark side is going to have the same restrictions, but I picked up two July 4th weeks at a Worldmark via RCI. The same week where all 3 Texas Wyndham locations have the restriction.

rpeacock

Reaction score
My two cents/opinion worth.

This policy is all about benefitting Extra Holidays (EH) at the owners expense. We were told last year at Clearwater that many of the units were reserved through EH. One of the staff told us they were surprised that we were an "actual owner".

The question is: is EH the one reserving the units or is it the owners reserving the units and then turning the reservations over to EH?

Is it possible that by limiting the owners to reserve units for guest reservations Wyndham is giving EH a chance get more owners to turn their reservations over the EH so that EH balance sheet will improve? Hmmmmm.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
My two cents/opinion worth.

This policy is all about benefitting Extra Holidays (EH) at the owners expense. We were told last year at Clearwater that many of the units were reserved through EH. One of the staff told us they were surprised that we were an "actual owner".

The question is: is EH the one reserving the units or is it the owners reserving the units and then turning the reservations over to EH?

Is Clearwater sold out? I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. If it is NOT sold out, then any unsold inventory Wyndham is allowed to do what it wants with, because if it is NOT sold then it does not belong to the club yet. So Wyndham could be populating unsold inventory into EH, and long before it is allowed to grab a % club inventory that is available at X days out. Don't recall how many days out it is. It does populate EH with remaining inventory.

As an owner I would never put a unit in EH. I have no control. I could give them a week, they could rent 1 night only. I also can't tell if they rented out mine or someone else's so I would NOT use EH as a renting mechanism. Do any TUGgers use it? I would be surprised. I am sure a few have tried, but I can't imagine that it is something that someone is using consistently.

So again with the EH conspiracy theories.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
These restrictions have nothing to do with helping owners.. Club Owners who haven't been able to book holiday reservations in advance up until now, still won't be able to book these holiday reservations in advance tomorrow. Unfortunately, those people will still miss out, and they'll still be looking to blame someone other than themselves.. There is no special trick that owners who "rent" their points use or know- we just do a better job of planning. If you want a holiday reservation, scheduled your reminder to book at the first opportunity you are allowed- and then be online at midnight to book it.

As for developer rentals, yes- Wyndham does have the ability to remove (and return) reservations from the Club Owners availability. Every timeshare developer has a breakage policy in place- which allows them to move inventory back and forth from their own rental pools. Most use ratios to determine how much they can designate as "unused". If these reservations go unrented, they'll often be dumped back into the Club Owner availability just prior to check in- which again changes the ratios in the developers favor and also keeps the developer from having to pay for the vacant inventory. It used to be common for the large marketing sites to publish a press release boasting of the developer agreements (example HERE) but I don't see them as often any longer. I've always been surprised that no enterprising law firm has ever gone after a class action designation based on anti-trust legislation. Seems like that would be an easy case to find plantiffs, and discover supporting evidence.

The fact that timeshare developers try to stop individual owners from renting, while still having no hesitation to rent owner inventory themselves- is just a sad testament to the mindset of the developers. It's not just Wyndham. There are a number of developers that actively advertise direct rentals at prices which are below the cost of an owner's maintenance fees. I just saw a reservation yesterday at an Orlando resort that was available for almost $300 less as a direct rental using Holiday Inn hotel rewards rates- than the deeded weekly owner was billed in maintenance fees.

bryjake

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Again to be more sinister and conspiracy theory related...
How does Travel and Leasure fit in?
They have access and do list some Club Wyndham properties on their vacation package searches
The waters could get muddier