• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana to Abound Point Conversion Tracker

MikeHoncho

Reaction score
I'm new to all of this so I apologize if this is a dumb question. We're still trying to figure how to enter this timeshare game and I was wondering if it's been established that resale points from a mandatory resort will be able to be converted to the DC points on a yearly basis.

If so it seems like the WKORV-N resorts higher MF would be a little easier to tolerate if you aren't using it for Hawaii every year..

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm new to all of this so I apologize if this is a dumb question. We're still trying to figure how to enter this timeshare game and I was wondering if it's been established that resale points from a mandatory resort will be able to be converted to the DC points on a yearly basis.

If so it seems like the WKORV-N resorts higher MF would be a little easier to tolerate if you aren't using it for Hawaii every year..
not established yet

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Seems that they are lining Princeville up with what they offer for Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club. This kind of makes sense with no better way to really do it.

View attachment 61638
That makes sense, except of course if you was one of the unlucky folks who parted with around $50K and now not only see very little value in a potential resale but also little value in their trading power. I guess SO and II will remain their best options.

jcflorian

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Villas North (2 BR LO- odd years)
Westin Kierland (1 BR Premium- October)- even years
Princeville is a beautiful property, On cliff where you can watch the sunrise and the sunset each day. Within 15 minutes drive of Hanilei Beach and town. Gorgeous area. But no beach on property, unless you hike 15 min down a steep embarkment for a beach covered in branches and rocks.

That is the one and very large drawback. I am owner at Kaanapali North, and while I prefer Kauai to Maui, I feel there is tremendous value in a 2 BR oceanfront lockoff in Maui. Nothing against the Princeville villas, but value is not there. Ironically though, we are giving up our 2 wks in Maui in 2023 for a wk in Kauai, wk in St John and 4 extra days in Kauai at the Sheraton. My wife just loves Kauai so much.

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
Whoop! Whoop! Off topic alert :p

Dioxide created this thread to gather statistical information about the DP value being assigned to each type of week to put in a spreadsheet for everyone to access. I figure we owe it to him to limit our posts to that information only.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
That is the one and very large drawback. I am owner at Kaanapali North, and while I prefer Kauai to Maui, I feel there is tremendous value in a 2 BR oceanfront lockoff in Maui. Nothing against the Princeville villas, but value is not there. Ironically though, we are giving up our 2 wks in Maui in 2023 for a wk in Kauai, wk in St John and 4 extra days in Kauai at the Sheraton. My wife just loves Kauai so much.
We feel the same way about both Kauai and Princeville. We only wish the Sheraton 1-bedroom allowed for 4 people (2 adults and 2 toddlers). booking via marriott it says 4-person capacity, but vistana says 2.

To get back on the point conversion topic, us Maui owners do see some value with the DC point discount for Kauai as we've always seen it as 1:1 through vistana.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
We feel the same way about both Kauai and Princeville. We only wish the Sheraton 1-bedroom allowed for 4 people (2 adults and 2 toddlers). booking via marriott it says 4-person capacity, but vistana says 2.

To get back on the point conversion topic, us Maui owners do see some value with the DC point discount for Kauai as we've always seen it as 1:1 through vistana.

There are many properties in Vistana that are 1:1 with Maui that I wouldn't consider equitable but it's all down to personal preferences really. It's easy to see the attraction of buying at those properties where initial outlay and MFs are far less but offer the attraction to 'trade up' to Maui.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
There are many properties in Vistana that are 1:1 with Maui that I wouldn't consider equitable but it's all down to personal preferences really. It's easy to see the attraction of buying at those properties where initial outlay and MFs are far less but offer the attraction to 'trade up' to Maui.
…and for years, the sales folks at places like WDW and Lagunamar pushed their products in exactly that way, saying “buy where you can get the best ratio of price and MF to StarOptions. Buy here and then go to Maui, don’t buy in Maui where the MFs and cost are much higher.” That was a decent strategy for a long time. But now, it’s less simple, since in general, those “cheaper” resorts are also worth a lot fewer DPs in the Abound program. You really have to consider where you will want to stay most frequently and whether the lower DP value even matters to you. For those who will just stay within VSN, it may be irrelevant.

If indeed the only option for new purchases from the developer will be DPs, then there are no more home resorts and no more varying costs, except in how many DPs must be redeemed for use. A pretty dramatic shift, even from Flex, on the developer sales side.

I am still wondering where resale owners will be left. I’m presuming they will not get access to the DP network unless they buy something to requalify their ownership, but I don’t think we know that for sure Yet.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am still wondering where resale owners will be left. I’m presuming they will not get access to the DP network unless they buy something to requalify their ownership, but I don’t think we know that for sure Yet.
And there are still two classes of resale owners, voluntary and mandatory. Every sales presentation I have been to (three) recently, the sales people have been coy about if we as mandatory owners would have access to Abound.

Grandma2016

Reaction score
Went to update today. We are 5 star elite with Vistana in Maui at KOR and KORN. We have 3 weeks 52 one being OV, one OF and one IV. The OF was valued at 10925 and the other 2 IV and OV value 8075. These 3 are not qualified. They were purchased outside of sales. The others weeks we own were valued at 6200 for 2BR ov or iv and of at 8325. They wanted 30k minimum margin to retro anything in. They wanted our IV 2br odd year plus 55k for annual 2br ov and they would retro in our week 52s. We were not interested as we told them we understood the point value we wont get for marriott but my argument is I would never swap those as those are great rental weeks. They tried to tell me they only had 1 week left of them selling deeded property. With what we have that would covert to marriot points it was over 30k. I think my 5 weeks in the system of vistana had much more value than club points. But we love Maui and have no desire to travel elsewhere. Unfortunately our sales rep was still learning the abound system

Grandma2016

Reaction score
…and for years, the sales folks at places like WDW and Lagunamar pushed their products in exactly that way, saying “buy where you can get the best ratio of price and MF to StarOptions. Buy here and then go to Maui, don’t buy in Maui where the MFs and cost are much higher.” That was a decent strategy for a long time. But now, it’s less simple, since in general, those “cheaper” resorts are also worth a lot fewer DPs in the Abound program. You really have to consider where you will want to stay most frequently and whether the lower DP value even matters to you. For those who will just stay within VSN, it may be irrelevant.

If indeed the only option for new purchases from the developer will be DPs, then there are no more home resorts and no more varying costs, except in how many DPs must be redeemed for use. A pretty dramatic shift, even from Flex, on the developer sales side.

Rman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told the fees to retro in was 10k for first week and 5 k for second week, I knew in advance they didn't specifically offer me this deal they wanted to sell a higher product, where did you go for your presentation was maui, the fee to retro in is cheaper , though can pm me if interested if in maui, one of the managers there is not that pushy the others I don't know about etc..

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOVRN, MKO, WLR, SVV, SDO
If you have mandatory resale weeks, I would highly recommend holding off spending to retro them into Abound. The opportunity of retro'ing won't go away (remember that the sales were saying in early summer that it is the last chance to buy; but they are still saying that now), and it might not be needed. Just wait for the official announcement which should be out in a couple of months.

Grandma2016

Reaction score

I was told today in owner update in Maui resale owners wont have access

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I was told today in owner update in Maui resale owners wont have access

Shouldn’t be a major surprise that sales would say that to someone owning resale. Sometimes they either don’t know yet or don’t want to tell you you don’t have a need to buy something, though. I would still wait (and am).

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Went to update today. We are 5 star elite with Vistana in Maui at KOR and KORN. We have 3 weeks 52 one being OV, one OF and one IV. The OF was valued at 10925 and the other 2 IV and OV value 8075. These 3 are not qualified. They were purchased outside of sales. The others weeks we own were valued at 6200 for 2BR ov or iv and of at 8325.
Since we are trying to create a list here, can you clarify these numbers?
10,925 - Week 52 - Is this WKORV North or South?
8,075 - Just Platinum? North or South?
6,200 ???
8,325 ???
Are these all two bedroom units?

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
If you have mandatory resale weeks, I would highly recommend holding off spending to retro them into Abound. The opportunity of retro'ing won't go away (remember that the sales were saying in early summer that it is the last chance to buy; but they are still saying that now), and it might not be needed. Just wait for the official announcement which should be out in a couple of months.

I agree the opportunity to retro will not go away. But the flipside is that you may be asked to spend $30K+ down the road instead of $10K now and regret that choice to wait for many years to come... While Vistana retros are $10K for 1 week and $5K for additional weeks, historically MVC retros have been much costlier. One can hope MVC reduces retro prices, there is no reliable evidence to suggest it will happen anytime in the near future, or ever.

To me, the idea that resale mandatory weeks will be allowed to simply enroll without a developer purchase seems like wishful thinking. Just because Starwood Vacation Ownership had an oversight 20+ years ago that involved a handful of resorts doesn't mean MVC now has to blow up its entire business plan if they can find a way to avoid it. Anyone who believes that mandatory resale week will get a freebie, should have been busy buying a bunch of Maui OV weeks in the past few months because they will look like geniuses in a few weeks. 6000+ Points for less than $15K upfront and ~2600 in MF is a fantastic deal. I'd do it all day long if I thought there was any reasonable chance it could happen...

Grandma2016

Reaction score
Since we are trying to create a list here, can you clarify these numbers?
10,925 - Week 52 - Is this WKORV North or South?
8,075 - Just Platinum? North or South?
6,200 ???
8,325 ???
Are these all two bedroom units?
10925 is North week 52 OF 2br
8075 is week 52. Same value for South OV and North IV.
All week 52s are 2 bedrooms
6200 is for my 2 br units at south. Same value whether ov or iv not week 52
8325 is South 2br OF deluxe corner not week 52

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To me, the idea that resale mandatory weeks will be allowed to simply enroll without a developer purchase seems like wishful thinking.

Probably don't want to continue this discussion because it is off topic of this thread. I've seen something in writing that indicates it is not wishful thinking. :)

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Probably don't want to continue this discussion because it is off topic of this thread. I've seen something in writing that indicates it is not wishful thinking. :)

Then I hope you're the one picking up those Maui OV/IV weeks that seem to be flying off the RedWeek shelf hand over first :)

6200 DC points would cost over $37K (resale, after junk fees). And the maintenance fees on that are $4000. If you can get that at sub-$15K on RedWeek by buying mandatory weeks now and pay only $2600-$2800 in MFs annually it's almost the deal of a lifetime, literally. In fact, it's such a good deal that I would expect even MVC and Vistana salespeople who possibly have some more insight than us to be buying those weeks and driving the prices up way more than they are today.

I guess we shall see... but I'd love to know what you've seen :)

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Then I hope you're the one picking up those Maui OV/IV weeks that seem to be flying off the RedWeek shelf hand over first :)

6200 DC points would cost over $37K (resale, after junk fees). And the maintenance fees on that are $4000. If you can get that at sub-$15K on RedWeek by buying mandatory weeks now and pay only $2600-$2800 in MFs annually it's almost the deal of a lifetime, literally. In fact, it's such a good deal that I would expect even MVC and Vistana salespeople who possibly have some more insight than us to be buying those weeks and driving the prices up way more than they are today.

I guess we shall see... but I'd love to know what you've seen :)

I got to see Marriott's rule very recently (I'll update the other thread with the information I've obtained). But even if I knew, I doubt I would have purchased WKORV/N weeks. There are other weeks which I think are better points generators with lower MFs. Isn't the general sense here in this board that owners here would like to keep the westin Maui weeks in the VSN rather than electing Marriott points.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I got to see Marriott's rule very recently (I'll update the other thread with the information I've obtained). But even if I knew, I doubt I would have purchased WKORV/N weeks. There are other weeks which I think are better points generators with lower MFs. Isn't the general sense here in this board that owners here would like to keep the westin Maui weeks in the VSN rather than electing Marriott points.

My sense is that, if you are already a DC member and can rent points from others, then Maui weeks and Lagunamar Platinum weeks (voluntary) are probably the only ones worth considering converting to DC points.

I would not convert my WKV or HRA weeks to points. Their rental value as weeks is worth a lot more than the rental value of the points, which is the main criterion I care about once I already own them. Why elect 4050 DC points for WKV when I can rent it out for $4500 (or more), and use that cash to rent 4050 points from someone else, and keep an extra $1700 in my pocket? Or I can rent 6400 points from someone instead of 4050. Or I could just try to trade into Hawaii via VSN if that's what I wanted to do.

The rental value of 6200 DC points is about $4300, which is a lot closer to the rental value of Maui weeks so it's a much closer call. And the MFs on that are about 0.45c/point which is around the same as the WKV 2BR Platinum.

Grandma2016

Reaction score

At our owner update yesterday we were told no on resale.

Grandma2016

Reaction score
I was told the fees to retro in was 10k for first week and 5 k for second week, I knew in advance they didn't specifically offer me this deal they wanted to sell a higher product, where did you go for your presentation was maui, the fee to retro in is cheaper , though can pm me if interested if in maui, one of the managers there is not that pushy the others I don't know about etc..
We were in Maui. They did not offer the retro of our resale weeks. They only offered to sell another deed and retro the week 52s we have. I wasnt interested in that as our week 52s will rent always at a higher rate. Imho