• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana to Abound Point Conversion Tracker

charlieth0

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club Points
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt High Sierra
They also have records of all the sales presentations you attended at both Vistana and Marriott and the outcomes. My salesperson in June showed me all of it. He also showed me that for Marriott owners they have a history of all the "problems" they reported during stays and if they were given any type of compensation
sorry if not relevant to this thread, but wonder if this is in part due to the Salesforce software they are using.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Interesting. Our resale WKORV-N week is not requalified; however, it isn’t showing up as non-enrolled. On two separate updates we’ve been told that all of our ownerships qualify for Abound conversion and that we didn’t need to buy anything more to access the system. I wonder if this is because we do have a WFlex package?

View attachment 61019
Was your sheet prepared at a Vistana sales office? How long ago? Perhaps they are adding in more data points?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
Interesting. Our resale WKORV-N week is not requalified; however, it isn’t showing up as non-enrolled. On two separate updates we’ve been told that all of our ownerships qualify for Abound conversion and that we didn’t need to buy anything more to access the system. I wonder if this is because we do have a WFlex package?

View attachment 61019
Mine shows identical to yours and was prepared at a MVC office in June. All my Vistana ownership is qualified but I think for Vistana only owners it's showing zero because they haven't loaded that ownership into the customer account they've established for each of us in the reservation system. Jeremy is a hybrid owner of both so perhaps that's why they pulled his Vistana ownership into the numbers.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Yes they loaded all Vistana ownership into their sales and marketing system a couple of months ago. They even assigned each of us a MVC customer number which is on the daily tour sheet.

They also have records of all the sales presentations you attended at both Vistana and Marriott and the outcomes. My salesperson in June showed me all of it. He also showed me that for Marriott owners they have a history of all the "problems" they reported during stays and if they were given any type of compensation. That kind of surprised me that sales would have that!
Interesting that they keep track of all problems you report. I’d be curious what else is on my profile.

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOVRN, MKO, WLR, SVV, SDO
Mine shows identical to yours and was prepared at a MVC office in June. All my Vistana ownership is qualified but I think for Vistana only owners it's showing zero because they haven't loaded that ownership into the customer account they've established for each of us in the reservation system. Jeremy is a hybrid owner of both so perhaps that's why they pulled his Vistana ownership into the numbers.

To my ownership (I have not requalled any weeks), the number adds up to the points value (annualized) for all of the mandatory resale weeks. Maybe it gives hope that all mandatory can be enrolled to the new program without purchasing?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To my ownership (I have not requalled any weeks), the number adds up to the points value (annualized) for all of the mandatory resale weeks. Maybe it gives hope that all mandatory can be enrolled to the new program without purchasing?
This is getting interesting. I don’t want to take this thread OT, but Did you get your point total at a Vistana or Marriott presentation?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
sorry if not relevant to this thread, but wonder if this is in part due to the Salesforce software they are using.
I think you are right. It likely comes from the Marriott CRM system that they use for the hotels. I know on check in they can pull some preferences that are attached to my hotel profile.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@dioxide45, I have 2 more datapoints for your spreadsheet.
VIT/VIO Sheraton Vistana Resort
fixed week 2 Bdrm Spas, "Prime" season, 81,000 options -> 2425 DC pts
float 2 bdrm Lakes, "High/Gold Plus" season, 81000 -> 2575 DC pts

The Cascades 2 bdrm unit, HIgh season in the spreadsheet gets 2600 pts, 25 pts more than mine.
No idea why MVC got so granular on each week.
They did downgrade pointswise my fixed week; so maybe non-event fixed weeks are overall worth less?
The original sold price from the developer is one of the parameters in calculating DC points. Spas was most likely sold for less money than Lakes.

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOVRN, MKO, WLR, SVV, SDO
This is getting interesting. I don’t want to take this thread OT, but Did you get your point total at a Vistana or Marriott presentation?

I am purchasing an Aruba week to enroll both my Marriott and Vistana weeks (hopefully after the merge), and I got the printout from the sales person there.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
So last time I did an owner update they were trying to sell me up to 5* Elite (from 4*) because that would translate to Chairman's Club in the new Abound system. I didn't bite because, among other things, I don't think the differences between Presidential and Chairman are that significant, and because I don't need any more regardless. But now that some numbers are available, I'm adding up the expected DP value for my ownership, and it's coming to about 17,500 DP each year. (One of my VOIs is an EOY, and so I divided the DP value in half; I assume that's the way they will calculate that for elite benefit purposes.)

So it seems like I am likely to get grandfathered to Chairman's Club even though I am only 4* Elite in Vistana. Is my understanding correct?

I'm also making a big assumption, because I'm assuming my 2BR LO at WKORV (OV) will be worth the same as a similar unit at WKORVN (there's no value posted for WKORV.) I'm not sure why it would be different. But even if it's a little different for some reason, I'm still going to be way above 15,000 DP, which seems to be the value they are using for grandfathering status... if I understand right.

I guess I'll find out next week... maybe?

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
So last time I did an owner update they were trying to sell me up to 5* Elite (from 4*) because that would translate to Chairman's Club in the new Abound system. I didn't bite because, among other things, I don't think the differences between Presidential and Chairman are that significant, and because I don't need any more regardless. But now that some numbers are available, I'm adding up the expected DP value for my ownership, and it's coming to about 17,500 DP each year. (One of my VOIs is an EOY, and so I divided the DP value in half; I assume that's the way they will calculate that for elite benefit purposes.)

So it seems like I am likely to get grandfathered to Chairman's Club even though I am only 4* Elite in Vistana. Is my understanding correct?

I'm also making a big assumption, because I'm assuming my 2BR LO at WKORV (OV) will be worth the same as a similar unit at WKORVN (there's no value posted for WKORV.) I'm not sure why it would be different. But even if it's a little different for some reason, I'm still going to be way above 15,000 DP, which seems to be the value they are using for grandfathering status... if I understand right.

Theoretically that appears to be true. The mapping part for Vistana elite seems certain. However if they raise Chairman requirements above 15K as part of this launch, we don't know if they would grandfather Vistana owners with 15K into that status since they didn't technically hold that status level before they raised the requirements. No information given so far either way on this topic.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

This wouldn't be considering grandfathering of your status to put you at Chairman's. Chairman's would be where you are based on your Abound ownership points. Grandfathering would be if you didn't qualify for Presidential based on points (say you only got 9,925 Abound points) but they gave you Presidential based on your 4* VSN status. That said, based on how I would expect it to work, your Abound OBL (Owner Benefit Level) will be based on the higher of the two; based on Abound points or based on VSN Star level.

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
The original sold price from the developer is one of the parameters in calculating DC points. Spas was most likely sold for less money than Lakes.
Yes of course, the original Spas sold for less than Lakes because it is one of the older sections in "Phase 1" built years before Lakes & Fountains in Phase 2. I think Spas sold for around $15-16K in the mid 80's. I bought Lakes around 2010 for $21K.
It's ridiculous for Marriott to use purchase price as a parameter. It depreciates the values for longtime owners who have supported these resort sections for years.
Yet purportedly using sales price is in alignment with the Sales perspective I've encountered in most update meetings:. 'you bought that so long ago or bought resale, you haven't bought(paid) into the current system... ' So the "current" system is changing to Abound, and it'll cost more whether in skim or point redemption values.

I suspect MF is a more weighted parameter in their conversation calculations.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes of course, the original Spas sold for less than Lakes because it is one of the older sections in "Phase 1" built years before Lakes & Fountains in Phase 2. I think Spas sold for around $15-16K in the mid 80's. I bought Lakes around 2010 for $21K.
It's ridiculous for Marriott to use purchase price as a parameter. It depreciates the values for longtime owners who have supported these resort sections for years.
Yet purportedly using sales price is in alignment with the Sales perspective I've encountered in most update meetings:. 'you bought that so long ago or bought resale, you haven't bought(paid) into the current system... ' So the "current" system is changing to Abound, and it'll cost more whether in skim or point redemption values.

When Marriott rolled out their DC program in 2010, they did use purchase price as a factor. It worked then because Marriott was still actively selling all of the properties as weeks. For Vistana it doesn't work as well because they have been selling Flex for over five years now. I could also see where Spas and perhaps some of the other phases of two and three story buildings might not get as high a point value since none of these sections have elevators. I think Spa also lacks the top floor vaulted ceilings and skylights? So perhaps some of those things are also taken into account when determining point values? It will be interesting to see how many points they allocate to the other phases.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
I hope everyone realizes that Staroptions are very straightforward. Marriott has the skim. If you own a week at Westin Ka'anapali and want to book a one bedroom and a studio, back-to-back weeks, you can do that with options. With DP, you cannot reserve the full 14 nights with a 2 bedroom lockoff at MM1, for example. The skim should keep a lot of you who are thinking about enrolling your weeks into Marriott. I won't do it, not my Mandatory Staroptions. I would consider enrolling my best Sheraton weeks, but they would have to offer me a great deal.
Owning deeded Westin Ka'anapali is much too valuable to ever turn into Marriott DP. You will never get the same value.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
I added a comment for KAA, line 92, WKORV 2BR OF, not sure if the comment saved, confirmed same points as KAN, line 101, WKORVN 2BR OF.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I added a comment for KAA, line 92, WKORV 2BR OF, not sure if the comment saved, confirmed same points as KAN, line 101, WKORVN 2BR OF.
Looks like it worked. I got an email about the comment and went in and updated the cell.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Did you buy Spas from the developer or did you buy resale and paid the special assessment in 2007 to enroll the week? I am surprised by the $15-$16K which you thought it sold for in mid 80s. I bought my Lakes 2BR L/O in 1996 for $11K.

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Did yu buy Spas from the developer or did you buy resale and paid the special assessment in 2007 to enroll the week? I am surprised by the $15-$16K which you thought it sold for in mid 80s. I bought my Lakes 2BR L/O in 1996 for $11K.
My FIL bought the Spas week resale in early 1990's for about $6K. He dropped the ball and didn't grandfather it in to the VSN in 2007, tho' he did pay the special assessment. He was more concerned about finding homes for his timeshares, since my in-laws had stopped travelling. Or maybe the concept of network internal trading was brand new then, and he didn't understand it. We accepted the unit from him in 2008-09 or so. I remember seeing the resale documents that listed the original $15K purchase price along with owners names. I think the Spas were originally sold by the Vistana developer. Then Sheraton/Starwood came in and purchased the resort.

Back in the early-mid 90's the Vistana resort was one of the largest, upscale timeshare resorts in Orlando. Other TS resorts were smaller in scale and didn't have as many amenities; I had short stays in a couple of them with the in-laws.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with MVC corporate sales.
- SVR Lakes 2/BR L/O Fixed-float1-52 High season is valued at 2825 Vacation Club points.
- Elite level in MVC will use the combined Vistana-Marriott portfolio. There is no current plan to introduce a level higher than Chairman's Club when the 2 systems are merged. But that may change after Vistana owners are added into the MVC system later on, depending the percentage of owners at each level.
- August 1 is the planned system merged date, but don't hold them to it because they have missed a few target dates already. :)

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The other thing to note is that they had no access to my Vistana ownership. She pulled a conversion screen up and I provided her information as to what to pull and she did a dropdown box one step at a time to pull the information. Admittedly, she thought she was on the sales call to sell up to Chairman's Club level, until I told her that we own at Vistana and after going through the steps and points conversion, she realized that we are going to be at Chairman's Club level.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Added.

Are your Lagunamar weeks all Oceanview? I am tracking the Oceanside separately even if they are the same amount.
Aren't all Lagunamar units Oceanview? Some are even Oceanfront. Is that what you are asking about?