• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WahooWah

Reaction score
The ROFR.net database provides data on DC points but the actual number of points is not provided for each transaction reported. Does anyone have a sense of how the buyback threshold for points may vary based on the number of points sold? Does the threshold tend to be lower for large purchases of points or does that not matter?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The ROFR.net database provides data on DC points but the actual number of points is not provided for each transaction reported. Does anyone have a sense of how the buyback threshold for points may vary based on the number of points sold? Does the threshold tend to be lower for large purchases of points or does that not matter?
I'm sure others will have more info than I do but I have not seen any indication that size makes any difference. Since they can do the closing in house and even large points packages are groups of 250 BI (Beneficial Interests), I can't see where it'd make any difference. If you're looking at large packages you may want to consider other options to get access to points that have a much lower yearly cost going forward.

WahooWah

Reaction score
I'm sure others will have more info than I do but I have not seen any indication that size makes any difference. Since they can do the closing in house and even large points packages are groups of 250 BI (Beneficial Interests), I can't see where it'd make any difference. If you're looking at large packages you may want to consider other options to get access to points that have a much lower yearly cost going forward.
Thank you for the feedback but it would be better if there is something more data driven that demonstrates a lack of a relationship between size of contract and buyback threshold rather than inference. I'm not asking this question because I'm looking for various timeshare alternatives.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback but it would be better if there is something more data driven that demonstrates a lack of a relationship between size of contract and buyback threshold rather than inference. I'm not asking this question because I'm looking for various timeshare alternatives.
I look at the listings on Ebay fairly regularly and have seen no indication that there is a difference. ROFR.net doesn't list size, only price per point. Realistically any difference between contracts isn't going to come down to size per se but rather other factors like closing (which you excluded), current availability of points and fee reimbursement and timing of fees. Remember even the largest listing is still just a group of 250 point groups.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott's Willow Ridge, 2BR Platinum, Annual, $1200.00, passed ROFR.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok so Grand Vista, 2 bdr EOYE. ROFR submitted for $750 which included . closing costs- PASSED.
I would have been surprised if a Gold GV week didn't pass, esp EOY. EOY is far more likely to pass and a Gold week is borderline IMO.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
I would have been surprised if a Gold GV week didn't pass, esp EOY. EOY is far more likely to pass and a Gold week is borderline IMO.
A good no cost deal! I'll bet noreenkate will make this a great experience. Knowing how to work the system is a great advantage. All good wishes for your success!

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is the thing though, until I contacted eBay auctioneers/closing I had some doubts, I found it a little difficult to judge from posts both here and on rofr.net - because there isn't a way to tell purchase price vs total cost.

@Dean I know you disagree with my thinking and I do respect your opinion, and I concede that you have given some very sound advice, it is just that I need to stay within my set budget for all of my timeshare fees/expenses.

@DRH90277 - that's the goal plan on working this unit as hard as possible so I can get the most out of it.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@Dean I know you disagree with my thinking and I do respect your opinion, and I concede that you have given some very sound advice, it is just that I need to stay within my set budget for all of my timeshare fees/expenses.
I do disagree for exchanging and generally for using as well, but my main goal for the post was two fold. One to say that EOY are far more likely to pass ROFR, the other to get anyone new to think about the variables.

I do have a question though which you may have addressed previously and I don't recall, is this an even or odd year? If it's odd, did you get the 2023 week included, if not, are you having to pay the fees for 2024?

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do disagree for exchanging and generally for using as well, but my main goal for the post was two fold. One to say that EOY are far more likely to pass ROFR, the other to get anyone new to think about the variables.

I do have a question though which you may have addressed previously and I don't recall, is this an even or odd year? If it's odd, did you get the 2023 week included, if not, are you having to pay the fees for 2024?
There were a few listed in 2019 on rofr.net that were EoY and indeed failed - but nothing recent that I could find.

It’s an even ( it balances out my other contract which is an odd year ) and my usage starts 2024- fees were paid for 2023.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There were a few listed in 2019 on rofr.net that were EoY and indeed failed - but nothing recent that I could find.

It’s an even ( it balances out my other contract which is an odd year ) and my usage starts 2024- fees were paid for 2023.
That helps some not having to pay this years fees and if it were an odd year, you'd be paying fees attributable to a week you were not receiving.

MVC is far more likely to pass on ROFR for EOY, now more than ever.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Here is the thing though, until I contacted eBay auctioneers/closing I had some doubts, I found it a little difficult to judge from posts both here and on rofr.net - because there isn't a way to tell purchase price vs total cost.

@DRH90277 - that's the goal plan on working this unit as hard as possible so I can get the most out of it.
If you're looking to trade that unit, try to reserve week 21 at 12 months out. It trades really well.

Chucez

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance but what is and how does this rofr stuff work? Asking because i wanted to buy a resale and add it to my Marriott account. Thank you

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance but what is and how does this rofr stuff work? Asking because i wanted to buy a resale and add it to my Marriott account. Thank you
ROFR is right of first refusal. Aka when you agree to a purchase price of a week that contract has to be submitted to Marriott for approval first- and if Marriott chooses they can buy the week for the agreed upon price instead of you. If they exercise their right the seller still sells the unit but gets paid by Marriott instead of the buyer. The buyer would get all money refunded.

Most but not all Marriott resorts have ROFR. Certainly doesn’t mean you can’t buy a resale week. You just have to offer a price that Marriott will let pass. You can review ROFR.net to try and get an idea of what amounts pass and fail by resort.

Chucez

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
ROFR is right of first refusal. Aka when you agree to a purchase price of a week that contract has to be submitted to Marriott for approval first- and if Marriott chooses they can buy the week for the agreed upon price instead of you. If they exercise their right the seller still sells the unit but gets paid by Marriott instead of the buyer. The buyer would get all money refunded.

Most but not all Marriott resorts have ROFR. Certainly doesn’t mean you can’t buy a resale week. You just have to offer a price that Marriott will let pass. You can review ROFR.net to try and get an idea of what amounts pass and fail by resort.
Thank you, then the ability to add the unit to your Destination Club account is a separate action or is it not an option?

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, then the ability to add the unit to your Destination Club account is a separate action or is it not an option?
Resale purchases after sometime in 2010 are technically not eligible for what used to be called Destination Club, now called Abound. During certain times of the year MVC will allow you to enroll them, but only by purchasing more timeshare (usually points, but some weeks at certain international locations also happen) directly from MVC, so it's quite expensive.

ChrisZXWJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
And I'm in! After losing to ROFR 3 times, I finally made it in. I have a bunch of HGVC points, but wanted a taste of Marriott for II trading purposes.

Grande Vista EOY Odd Platinum in the Florida Club with free 2023 use passed at $102.50 plus $770 in closing costs.

My current plan is to rent out whatever scraps I can find for the 2023 week once it closes and hopefully net close to a $0 cost for picking this up. In mid 2024, I'll book the 2025 week and likely join the II party.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
And I'm in! After losing to ROFR 3 times, I finally made it in. I have a bunch of HGVC points, but wanted a taste of Marriott for II trading purposes.

Grande Vista EOY Odd Platinum in the Florida Club with free 2023 use passed at $102.50 plus $770 in closing costs.

My current plan is to rent out whatever scraps I can find for the 2023 week once it closes and hopefully net close to a $0 cost for picking this up. In mid 2024, I'll book the 2025 week and likely join the II party.
Don't forget about doing something with the 2024 week.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score

Platinum season this year will likely be over before your week even transfers. (Unless by some miracle there is a week 51 or 52 available which seems extremely unlikely to me). Marriott is taking about 60 BUSINESS days to transfer once they get the recorded deed. So you are looking at September best case scenario.

You best (likely only) option will be to request a replacement interval week for this year. You can’t rent it- but you can you it to exchange a week somewhere for yourself.

ChrisZXWJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Platinum season this year will likely be over before your week even transfers. (Unless by some miracle there is a week 51 or 52 available which seems extremely unlikely to me). Marriott is taking about 60 BUSINESS days to transfer once they get the recorded deed. So you are looking at September best case scenario.

You best (likely only) option will be to request a replacement interval week for this year. You can’t rent it- but you can you it to exchange a week somewhere for yourself.

I agree that the chances week 51 or 52 at Grande Vista are low. What about a Florida Club booking into Legends Edge? Platinum runs to week 44 there (early November). I'm also ok with $872 all in for the EOY week.

Also, can you elaborate on how a replacement interval week would work? Thanks!

igopogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timber Lodge in South Lake Tahoe week 51 for $22,000 included free use of 2023 week FAILED ROFR
Timber Lodge in South Lake Tahoe week 51 for $22,000 included free use of 2023 week FAILED ROFR
what size unit?