• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Be careful - While there are some bargains out there, the more relevant points to me are the cost of the ongoing maintenance fees coupled with the rental prospects for these bargains.
This is certainly true for most of the Orlando weeks. Their utility is really just as a pure Interval trader. For most weeks of the year you can get a getaway for less than half the maintenance fees. It also seems that only resorts that lock off in Orlando have any value of any kind. Royal, Imperial, Sabal Palms and Cypress Harbour regularly have to be given away for free to get rid of them. The maintenance fees at Harbour Lake are also higher than those at Grande Vista and this is why Grande Vista tends to have a higher resale value.

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
Tried to sneak some Points past the goalie at $1.80 and failed.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Submitted a two-fer....a Summer and a Special season Cypress Harbour as one contract, $1770 including closing, so about $900 per week.

Marriott exercised on both. Will add to ROFR as separate weeks @ $885.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is certainly true for most of the Orlando weeks. Their utility is really just as a pure Interval trader. For most weeks of the year you can get a getaway for less than half the maintenance fees. It also seems that only resorts that lock off in Orlando have any value of any kind. Royal, Imperial, Sabal Palms and Cypress Harbour regularly have to be given away for free to get rid of them. The maintenance fees at Harbour Lake are also higher than those at Grande Vista and this is why Grande Vista tends to have a higher resale value.

The maintenance fees between Harbor Lake and Grande Vista got a lot closer this year!! Only $79 more at HL now.

ChicagoDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe x2
Hyatt Highlands Inn
Renaissance Aruba
Westin Lagunamar
Marriott exercised ROFR on my Aruba Ocean Club purchase. Gold season 2/2 for $5,500, but also had $2,300 in broker/closing fees, so thought it would get by. Added to the the ROFR spreadsheet.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The maintenance fees between Harbor Lake and Grande Vista got a lot closer this year!! Only $79 more at HL now.
I predict that in 3-4 years HL will be cheaper than GV
Marriott exercised ROFR on my Aruba Ocean Club purchase. Gold season 2/2 for $5,500, but also had $2,300 in broker/closing fees, so thought it get by. Added to the the ROFR spreadsheet.
I'm surprised, was it OF?

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Cypress Harbour Special Season 2BR passed at $2200, $1450 of which was a seller contribution to pay the broker.

Should I report this as $750 (what I paid), or $2200?

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cypress Harbour Special Season 2BR passed at $2200, $1450 of which was a seller contribution to pay the broker.

What was reported to Marriott on paperwork.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

Hard to say, in a lot of cases people reporting the information would have no clue what was paid to the broker and they would just input what they paid. What really matters is what was reported when requesting the ROFR waiver from Marriott. If you don't know that, then I would input the $2200 as it seems the broker wants to be paid.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Willow Ridge 2BR Platinum @ $1,000 with 2024 first use failed today. I'm a spectacular 0 for 4 in joining the Marriott party...maybe it's just not meant to be?!
Could be worse, you could have been suckered into full retail prices ;). How long did it take from start to ROFR?

Huskerpaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BoardWalk Villas, MVC Grande Vista & Willow Ridge, WorldMark
Willow Ridge 2BR Platinum @ $1,000 with 2024 first use failed today. I'm a spectacular 0 for 4 in joining the Marriott party...maybe it's just not meant to be?!
MVC must really want you to buy direct.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
What was reported to Marriott on paperwork.

Hard to say, in a lot of cases people reporting the information would have no clue what was paid to the broker and they would just input what they paid. What really matters is what was reported when requesting the ROFR waiver from Marriott. If you don't know that, then I would input the $2200 as it seems the broker wants to be paid.

Done - that's about what I figured. Thanks!

ahk1079

Reaction score
Marriott exercised ROFR on my Aruba Ocean Club purchase. Gold season 2/2 for $5,500, but also had $2,300 in broker/closing fees, so thought it would get by. Added to the the ROFR spreadsheet.
Is there a spreadsheet??

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
It doesn’t look like an Aruba sale has passed since October.

ChicagoDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe x2
Hyatt Highlands Inn
Renaissance Aruba
Westin Lagunamar
I had two Aruba sales go ROFR to MVC last month, both added to the spreadsheet. The realtor on one of the sales also told me she just had two others at the same resort bought by MVC at or slightly below my price. We wound up buying a top floor Week 13 Ocean Front 1/1 unit at the Renaissance Aruba instead where there's no ROFR.

Last edited:

Clowe

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has purchased resale abound points this year. Our sales rep mentioned Marriott is increasing their RoFR and it is currently difficult to get discounted sales. Taking the info with a grain of salt, but not much activity reported on the spreadsheet.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I am aware of that site. Reported on there myself. So frustrating. No rhyme or reason. Guess they are out of inventory so they are building up and I just got caught in the cycle.

I would think that less than 1% of actual owners have ever heard of www.ROFR.net which leads me to believe that there are many transactions happening and most are never posted (regardless of pass or fail).

Best of luck.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think something about Aruba that may cause more failures is that in Aruba they still sell Aruba weeks and not Trust Points. They may also sell St Kitts weeks, but not sure. The thing is, both the Surf and Ocean Club properties have been sold out for years. Their only source for inventory is deedback, foreclosure and ROFR. They are probably willing to take slimmer margins in order to be able to continue selling there.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think something about Aruba that may cause more failures is that in Aruba they still sell Aruba weeks and not Trust Points. They may also sell St Kitts weeks, but not sure. The thing is, both the Surf and Ocean Club properties have been sold out for years. Their only source for inventory is deedback, foreclosure and ROFR. They are probably willing to take slimmer margins in order to be able to continue selling there.
Yes they can sell St. Kitt's now but it's only been about a year that they can. St. Kitt's is also around $2 PP cheaper than the Aruba Properties with some minor variation for each option. I'd add to your list that they can do enrollments with week purchases as well.

rmclain73

TUG Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t look like an Aruba sale has passed since October.
Looks like one got through at Surf Club. Reported on 3/15. Looks like $9k for a gold season may be the magic number. Costs are definitely going up. Glad I got my platinum unit through at $15k in December of 21.