• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Suspended Eagle Village Tamiment

Sammy1234

Reaction score
As per Frank when I spoke with him he said eagle village plans take 100 more feedback and see where they're at and they may take a hundred more I felt this was a pitch even though he is a separate entity he still gets some form of payment from a deed back I think eagle village personally will take as many deed backs as there are owners cuz it only benefits John oakes to be a majority owner of the ttime

Sammy1234

Reaction score
Can someone help me understand what the benefit of being the majority owner is? The other part I don't understand is, if this is a timeSHARE, its not fair to the other timeSHARE owners if majority owner means his votes would outweigh our votes.

Sammy1234

Reaction score
I found this site. I can't figure out to get it so it take d you directly to the website, but if you get a chance, look it up, there is some helpful information about timeshares.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240827-235543.png
    Screenshot_20240827-235543.png
    250.5 KB · Views: 9

slarney77

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Eagle village
Can someone help me understand what the benefit of being the majority owner is? The other part I don't understand is, if this is a timeSHARE, its not fair to the other timeSHARE owners if majority owner means his votes would outweigh our votes.
If someone owns a majority of shares been no matter what the rest of us would vote he would still have more votes for example if he owns 60% that leaves only 40% of individuals so if we vote we want a pool and he says he doesn't want a pool and he uses all his votes that means no matter what we voted he could simply vote yes or no to it. It would give him a controlling interest.

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I miss that outdoor pool, too. That inside pool is nice in the winter, providing year round for all owners, though. I think they had to make a choice. The man who bought the Taminent Hotel in 2003 cheated both EV and the Glen. Both communities paid a monthly fee to use all those facilities, which made it very cheap for all of us. He was in essence, the extention of the original developer because EV came with the deal. So that legal clause about the amenities was his albatross. When he closed the hotel, (out of the blue), one of the board members in particular, I forgot her name, lead the fight to get the Recreation Center and to have lake access. Without her we would have nothing. That Taminent Hotel owner had to provide to us, as close to full amenities as could be negotiated. That would include a basket ball, tennis, volleyball, minigolf, inside pool and beach front. To get an outside pool, sauna and racketball court, we the owners, would have been assessed thousands to add the outside pool. The golf course was open for several years after that, which we had access too, but that eventually closed too. It wasn't perfect, but better than nothing. Many people deeded back in 2006, just before the recenter opened, under that clause that not all amenities were reinstated. So that point has been litigated through the 'deveolper" and is water over the dam. Just as an aside, the Glen, which is that residential community to the north that we can walk to, got an outside pool only. In the very beginning, we were suppose to have access to that, and they could have access to our pool. But that didn't last.

As far as controlling votes, yes, each owner gets one vote per week. So I have 2 votes. And yes, one owner with many weeks would control a vote. And yes, we could ask for a vote to add an ammendment to the covenants to provide for a dissolution clause. Say, every 20 years, we vote to continue or not. But our covenant doesn't currently have that, and I think we would, as owners, have to start attending annual meetings to make a quorum, or at least send in proxies which nobody must be doing. I don't think there has been a quorum in a decade, which means the BoDs has to make all the final decisions because owners are MIA. A timeshare is really suppose to be owner driven, but when owners are MIA, the board has to continue without them.

I personally, and this is just conjecture, don't think John Oakes is becoming a timeshare owner. I think he is outright acquiring a portion of EV to make it a privately owned separate resort. This would make good sense, as follows: His resort would probably have an outside pool and lake access, own weeks in the buildings. The money he puts in would then be his investment, hence the new Bushkill PA Eagle Village Poperty Owners, LLC. We would become a much smaller timeshare community, say 800 members, who only have to maintain 800 weeks, not 3468 weeks , and be responsible for only maintenance on those weeks. Our new EV would pay an annual fee to use his facilities and he would pay whomever to use ours (which I really don't think we own). We would almost be back to what Tamiment Hotel was to us all those years ago- an integrated resort, but with RV sites, chalets, inside outside pools, golf lake facilities, and a music venue, etc.

I know this sounds like crazily hopeful, but I have seen the renovations to the sewer and water systems on the old tamiment property. I really do believe Oakes has grand plans to redevelopment this huge piece of land that already has infrastructure. All water, sewer and electricity are already there. That is huge. I bet he puts the Trent Golf back to useable again, also. If so, then our little timeshare community would be uniquely situated, again, to reap the benefits of a larger resort, just like with the Tamiment Hotel. For those owners
who are young enough to have another 20 to 30 years of use, this would be a very RCI swapable timeshare. For me, my husband and I are 70. I'm looking to divest. But I am so curious about this, I will wait and see.

Sammy1234

Reaction score
Yes, I miss that outdoor pool, too. That inside pool is nice in the winter, providing year round for all owners, though. I think they had to make a choice. The man who bought the Taminent Hotel in 2003 cheated both EV and the Glen. Both communities paid a monthly fee to use all those facilities, which made it very cheap for all of us. He was in essence, the extention of the original developer because EV came with the deal. So that legal clause about the amenities was his albatross. When he closed the hotel, (out of the blue), one of the board members in particular, I forgot her name, lead the fight to get the Recreation Center and to have lake access. Without her we would have nothing. That Taminent Hotel owner had to provide to us, as close to full amenities as could be negotiated. That would include a basket ball, tennis, volleyball, minigolf, inside pool and beach front. To get an outside pool, sauna and racketball court, we the owners, would have been assessed thousands to add the outside pool. The golf course was open for several years after that, which we had access too, but that eventually closed too. It wasn't perfect, but better than nothing. Many people deeded back in 2006, just before the recenter opened, under that clause that not all amenities were reinstated. So that point has been litigated through the 'deveolper" and is water over the dam. Just as an aside, the Glen, which is that residential community to the north that we can walk to, got an outside pool only. In the very beginning, we were suppose to have access to that, and they could have access to our pool. But that didn't last.

As far as controlling votes, yes, each owner gets one vote per week. So I have 2 votes. And yes, one owner with many weeks would control a vote. And yes, we could ask for a vote to add an ammendment to the covenants to provide for a dissolution clause. Say, every 20 years, we vote to continue or not. But our covenant doesn't currently have that, and I think we would, as owners, have to start attending annual meetings to make a quorum, or at least send in proxies which nobody must be doing. I don't think there has been a quorum in a decade, which means the BoDs has to make all the final decisions because owners are MIA. A timeshare is really suppose to be owner driven, but when owners are MIA, the board has to continue without them.

I personally, and this is just conjecture, don't think John Oakes is becoming a timeshare owner. I think he is outright acquiring a portion of EV to make it a privately owned separate resort. This would make good sense, as follows: His resort would probably have an outside pool and lake access, own weeks in the buildings. The money he puts in would then be his investment, hence the new Bushkill PA Eagle Village Poperty Owners, LLC. We would become a much smaller timeshare community, say 800 members, who only have to maintain 800 weeks, not 3468 weeks , and be responsible for only maintenance on those weeks. Our new EV would pay an annual fee to use his facilities and he would pay whomever to use ours (which I really don't think we own). We would almost be back to what Tamiment Hotel was to us all those years ago- an integrated resort, but with RV sites, chalets, inside outside pools, golf lake facilities, and a music venue, etc.

I know this sounds like crazily hopeful, but I have seen the renovations to the sewer and water systems on the old tamiment property. I really do believe Oakes has grand plans to redevelopment this huge piece of land that already has infrastructure. All water, sewer and electricity are already there. That is huge. I bet he puts the Trent Golf back to useable again, also. If so, then our little timeshare community would be uniquely situated, again, to reap the benefits of a larger resort, just like with the Tamiment Hotel. For those owners
who are young enough to have another 20 to 30 years of use, this would be a very RCI swapable timeshare. For me, my husband and I are 70. I'm looking to divest. But I am so curious about this, I will wait and see.

Sammy1234

Reaction score
Thanks again for this valuable information.
The problems we still have are they are not telling us much and they have to know what their plans are, otherwise they could not have started anything yet at the property. The part that really makes me mad is someone posted that they were told by, I think the lawyer that does the deed backs, that we will not know anything about the cost of maintenance fees and the cost we will be assessed until a day or two before. This is completely unfair and wrong! In my head, I am thinking that the more people who have to forfeit their timeshare because they will not be able to pay what we will be assessed, is a feather in Eagle Village and who knows who else's hat. We don't know anything that John Oakes is proposing to do until possibly a day or two before. I think if he is a honest business person, he would have already let us know. Again, they have had to present everything they are going to do at Eagle Village to the township in order to start what they are doing.
Another question I have is it looks like they have a new president. Does anyone know what our bylaws are regarding voting? Is it only the board that votes? If so, do they have to have a public meeting to do this? If they had a public meeting, do they have to abide by the Pennsylvania Sunshine Act and have had to let us know about the meeting?
Someone else posted that when they talked to the lawyer that does the deed buy backs that he said, this property has been mismanaged for many years. Does anyone know if they cleaned house with regards to the property manager that was there? If this property has not been managed properly, we should not be assessed to have it upgraded. The property manager and the board should have been increasing maintenance fees gradually to help cover maintenance expenses. Not let it get into such disrepair that we will have who knows how much of a maintenance increase all at once and who knows how much we will be assessed for a property that was allowed for two decades to get into such disrepair.

In closing, nothing beat the days by the outdoor pool playing bingo and participating in the greased watermelon relays!!😊

Sammy1234

Reaction score
If someone owns a majority of shares been no matter what the rest of us would vote he would still have more votes for example if he owns 60% that leaves only 40% of individuals so if we vote we want a pool and he says he doesn't want a pool and he uses all his votes that means no matter what we voted he could simply vote yes or no to it. It would give him a controlling interest.
That's what I was afraid of and makes me question how it can be considered a timeshare anymore when our input will not matter.

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't believe much of what the lawyer tells you about EV. He is not affiliated with it beyond recordings of deeds. Usually assessments are sent out about a month or 2 before annual MFs, and they dont demand immediate payments. Not a day or 2, and if he brought RCI to EV, then he was selling timeshares to sell RCI memberships. LOL ! That lawyer is just pressing for deedbacks because he makes recording and paperwork fees off of all deedbacks. We don't really get to see the calculations of assessments unless we are on the board. With my other timeshare, a letter accompanied that assessment with an outline of where the money was going. So hopefully EV does too. I posted the bylaw and Covents early in this thread. They have to follow those rules. How do you know they have a new a president? Was it posted? If they do, they would have done it during an annual meeting unless the president got sick and had to resign. At which time the board could appoint an interim, president.

Yes, MFs should have increased , which they did. In 2002, I was paying 350.00 annually per week. But it was the demise of Tamiment Hotel, and the deeding back of hundreds of weeks in 2006-7 that weakened the finances. Tamiment was the highlight. Once it closed, that area got pretty depressed for decades. Fernwood closed, Pocono Mountain Retreat closed. Nobody wanted to buy timeshares in a boring area so sales diminished and RCI pulled their representative from the property.

The problem with increasing MFs is that everytime an owner deeds back, then remaining owners are forced to share in the cost of an unowned week. So say we only have 25 % ownership now. . There are 3468 possible ownership weeks, or owners. 25% of that would be 867 owners. So, that makes 2601 ownerless weeks. Multiply $760 by 2601 weeks. That equals a whopping $1, 976,760 in MFS not collected. Technically, if the BOD passed that on to the remaining owners to cover starting this year, annually, that would increase our fees by $2601 above and beyond the current 760, ANNUALLY. I don't believe the Board would do that. And I believe they thought it was unfair to the owners who stayed, so they kept MFs as low as possible and started trying to balance the budget as best they could over the last 2 decades. Don't forget they are owners, too. But that is why it is great that Oakes has stepped in, willing to invest.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
If there was an outdoor pool when we signed on, don't they have to keep that same amenities?

You signed the papers. Did you read them? Did they require the developer to maintain an outdoor pool? If so, then they are required to do so under the contract.

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the developer, Wayne Newton's Tamiment, no longer exists. The property report that came with original purchases ,1982 thru 1987, states the owners will have access to Tamiment Hotel's facilities for a fee. Then the hotel was demolished in 2004. Eagle Village was developed without any facilities of its own and had to build them later in 2005. And, future second hand owners do not receive any facilities other than what is currently there on the property .

jwynkoop75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tamiment/Eagle Village
This is from a letter received on 8/14/2024 from the company that has bought out Phase 1:

Dear Eagle Village Resort Family,​

We’re thrilled to share some transformative news that marks a new chapter in the story of our beloved resort! We understand that recent times have been challenging, and we sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding as we navigated through a period of uncertainty and limited resources.​

Over the past two decades, and more specifically in recent years, Eagle Village Resort has faced difficulties due to dwindling ownership and funds, leading to a period of disrepair for our properties and grounds. We are deeply grateful for your continued support and patience during these times, and we want to thank you for standing by us.​

Exciting News: New Management and Renovations!

Eagle Village Resort is now under new management as of July 2024! This change marks the beginning of a rejuvenation process that will restore our resort to its former glory and beyond.​

Our new management team has already initiated property cleanup efforts around the resort and the entry road. Watch the first installment of the progress video HERE as the crew begins the cleanup work!​

We are currently preparing detailed budgets and receiving contractor bids for renovations. Our team is committed to enhancing every aspect of our properties and grounds, ensuring that your experience at Eagle Village Resort will exceed your expectations. During this approximately two-year renovation phase, please bear with us as we diligently work to improve our facilities. We will remain open throughout the renovations, and while you might notice some temporary mess, we assure you that the end result will be well worth it.​

Improved Communication and Management Systems

In the coming weeks and months, we will transition to a new communication and customer/owner relationship management system to facilitate regular and efficient communication with you. Over the next month, we will also be updating our phone system. Additionally, the new management has already launched the first phase of our new website, www.EagleVillageResort.com. The website will go through several updates, much like our physical property, and will eventually introduce modern online owner profiles, direct bookings, and more.​

Please understand that the resort phones have been overwhelmed with questions recently. We request your continued patience as we set up the new system, transition the current staff, and integrate the new management team.​

Ownership Transfers and Assistance

Some owners have expressed interest in leaving the ownership group. While we hope everyone will stay with us through the renovation process, we understand that some may have questions about completing timeshare ownership transfers to family, friends, or through private sales. For assistance with estate or divorce matters, name changes, and removing/adding names to timeshare ownership, or transferring your deed back to the owners association or the new management company, the new management company suggests you contact Resale Closings. Resale Closings can be reached at (610) 863-1581 or Frank@ResaleClosings.com.​

Thank you once again for being part of our community. Here’s to new beginnings and an exciting future ahead!​

Warm regards,​

The Eagle Village Resort Team​

Email: customerservice@eaglevillageresort.com

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Phase 1 has not been bought out from under current owners. They can't take deeds away from owners. That is the letter sent out to all current owners and was previously posted on the new management's and investor's webpage: Eaglevillageresort.com.

Sammy1234

Reaction score
There is so much back and forth about what is going on. Again, EV and John Oakes have to know what their plans are. Again, why are they not telling us their plans? If John Oakes is such a good guy like people think he is and a honest business person, he/EV should have sent something out by now or had a zoom meeting. They can stop with the we will let you know in the coming weeks and months. Just like a couple of months ago when they gave us an email address that was solely for people to email and ask questions, an email address that no one who emailed them with questions, got an answer. After paying maintenance fees for years why should we have to pay to get out of such uncertainty? Other than the $500 to transfer the deed, that is all the money we should have to pay to get out. What about RCI and the money we paid to them and can't exchange our week, Eagle Village should have to refund that money, it almost seems like and I am going to contact RCI and ask them about this because it almost seems like legally Eagle Village should have to reimburse us. I know someone posted something very recently with the name of the new president.

Sammy1234

Reaction score
There is so much back and forth about what is going on. Again, EV and John Oakes have to know what their plans are. Again, why are they not telling us their plans? If John Oakes is such a good guy like people think he is and a honest business person, he/EV should have sent something out by now or had a zoom meeting. They can stop with the we will let you know in the coming weeks and months. Just like a couple of months ago when they gave us an email address that was solely for people to email and ask questions, an email address that no one who emailed them with questions, got an answer. After paying maintenance fees for years why should we have to pay to get out of such uncertainty? Other than the $500 to transfer the deed, that is all the money we should have to pay to get out. What about RCI and the money we paid to them and can't exchange our week, Eagle Village should have to refund that money, it almost seems like and I am going to contact RCI and ask them about this because it almost seems like legally Eagle Village should have to reimburse us. I know someone posted something very recently with the name of the new president.
After looking for what I thought was something about a new president, I did in fact read that wrong, it was just something the current president signed. So sorry about that misinformation.
But looking for that, I did find something I missed before where someone posted that they talked to Frank and Frank said, he did talk to John Oakes and John Oakes told him that next year maintenance fees will increase significantly. I don't think he would have said that if it wasn't true. I don't think he would have said that to scare people into doing buy backs so he could make money on that transaction.

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
The lack of detailed communication is very frustrating, I agree. I want to see more videos and a very detailed budget. You do realize, though, that every time you suggest for EV to refund you money, you are asking me, you and all the other owners to pay you? And that would be through higher MFs? Just want to make that point.

Sammy1234

Reaction score
The lack of detailed communication is very frustrating, I agree. I want to see more videos and a very detailed budget. You do realize, though, that every time you suggest for EV to refund you money, you are asking me, you and all the other owners to pay you? And that would be through higher MFs? Just want to make that point.
Yes, I do realize that everyone that if Eagle Village had to pay us, fees would go up more, but that's why if they would be more forthcoming with their plans, people would not feel like there is more to this than what they want us to know and therefore we feel like their plan is one that would only benefit themselves. Two years of paying maintenance fees and not willing to use our week there because we don't feel like packing up, driving a couple of hours, only to get there and have a less than desirable unit. Two years of paying maintenance fees and then two years of paying for another vacation became we don't want to stay at Eagle Village and not be able to trade our week with RCI. So really, its not me that would be making the fees higher, its Eagle Village and John Oakes for not giving us more information. Think about this, if they are putting bids out for contractors, they have to have somewhat of a game plan in place, so let us know what it is.

Sammy1234

Reaction score
Yes, I do realize that everyone that if Eagle Village had to pay us, fees would go up more, but that's why if they would be more forthcoming with their plans, people would not feel like there is more to this than what they want us to know and therefore we feel like their plan is one that would only benefit themselves. Two years of paying maintenance fees and not willing to use our week there because we don't feel like packing up, driving a couple of hours, only to get there and have a less than desirable unit. Two years of paying maintenance fees and then two years of paying for another vacation became we don't want to stay at Eagle Village and not be able to trade our week with RCI. So really, its not me that would be making the fees higher, its Eagle Village and John Oakes for not giving us more information. Think about this, if they are putting bids out for contractors, they have to have somewhat of a game plan in place, so let us know what it is.
If they have contracts going out for bids, they have a written plan with exactly what they need, a breakdown of how many units are in disrepair, what each unit would need ex. New roof, New flooring, new windows, etc. Since we are part owners, this information should all be available to all timeshare owners.

slarney77

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Eagle village
I have a question if John oaks and the new people renovate one of the buildings or phases could they shift the people who are still owners in that phase to a phase that has less owners that way it would be for the sole use of his company. I've had my timeshare for over 10 years I inherit it in 2015 we got it to use RCI which I know is not part of the bargain I only have a week at eagle village as a lot of people have stated but if they've made it so bad that no one wants to stay there there has to be something more going on other than incompetence. I have been in maintenance most of my life I've worked conventional and section 8 housing and to be frank from the pictures it looks like eagle villages a slumlord if they were renting to people maybe the property is worth so much money that that's the only reason why it stays open not the buildings but the land itself as per my conversation with Frank I highly doubt they would try to come after my house if I decided to not do a deed back because I did make an offer because it stated that they're looking into individual cases and the fees may change it was 25 or 2,600 no question asked. I feel that number is ludicrous when you can't even sell a timeshare there for a dollar on eBay or wherever else you could sell it I understand some people feel that all they need to make sure they have enough money for maintenance for the deed back unfortunately for me that is no longer my concern because I've been paying all these years and obviously they have done no maintenance they made sure they were paid which is you know it is the right thing to pay people they never said once how bad it was there or that they need to have a meeting and discuss raising anything instead of giving them the benefit of the doubt every time I've dealt with them everything I've read it always sounds like to sound snake oil I feel that would open them up to too many more questions that they would have to answer as per trying to foreclose and put a judgment on my house which Frank mentioned to me at the end of the day if they brought anybody to court they would still have to answer questions and I highly doubt they would really want to answer anything this is just my opinion from what I've read and how I feel

natalia

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Manhattan Club
I have a question if John oaks and the new people renovate one of the buildings or phases could they shift the people who are still owners in that phase to a phase that has less owners that way it would be for the sole use of his company. I've had my timeshare for over 10 years I inherit it in 2015 we got it to use RCI which I know is not part of the bargain I only have a week at eagle village as a lot of people have stated but if they've made it so bad that no one wants to stay there there has to be something more going on other than incompetence. I have been in maintenance most of my life I've worked conventional and section 8 housing and to be frank from the pictures it looks like eagle villages a slumlord if they were renting to people maybe the property is worth so much money that that's the only reason why it stays open not the buildings but the land itself as per my conversation with Frank I highly doubt they would try to come after my house if I decided to not do a deed back because I did make an offer because it stated that they're looking into individual cases and the fees may change it was 25 or 2,600 no question asked. I feel that number is ludicrous when you can't even sell a timeshare there for a dollar on eBay or wherever else you could sell it I understand some people feel that all they need to make sure they have enough money for maintenance for the deed back unfortunately for me that is no longer my concern because I've been paying all these years and obviously they have done no maintenance they made sure they were paid which is you know it is the right thing to pay people they never said once how bad it was there or that they need to have a meeting and discuss raising anything instead of giving them the benefit of the doubt every time I've dealt with them everything I've read it always sounds like to sound snake oil I feel that would open them up to too many more questions that they would have to answer as per trying to foreclose and put a judgment on my house which Frank mentioned to me at the end of the day if they brought anybody to court they would still have to answer questions and I highly doubt they would really want to answer anything this is just my opinion from what I've read and how I feel
As I mentioned in a previous post at an estate planning meeting the attorney replied to a question concerning time shares.
According to him it is extremely rare for a timeshare company to start legal proceedings against a owner due to the expense and complications associated with the property.
No advice given just something to keep in mind.

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't want to always sound like I disagree, but I do have first hand knowledge about this property that many of you have only inherited, making you less aware of history. They have done maintenance over the years. They have stained the exteriors, put roofs on, updated furniture ( the furniture is not the original as you see in some posts) ripped up rugs and put down flooring. Replaced appliances. They tore the bedroom porches of Phase 3 due to poor drainage that lead to rot. That cost alot and drained the maintenance fund but had to be done for safety. They have repaired the walkways twice since I owned. So to say they have never done upkeep is not correct. But there is only so much you can do when there is no money and the property shows that. Cost of labor is high and it looks like they had to let staff go. There is minimal staffing now. The fees they owe for the pool is about 200,000+ a year that I believe go to the owner of the pool building. Just like with the original Covenents and Restriction, Bylaws and Property Report, which I posted pages ago in April, it states we had access to Tamiment Hotel's facilities for a fee, that started years ago at $39.00 per week. We never owned facilities. Same now, we don't own that pool, we pay a fee. That fee is priority. If the board stops paying that fee and shuts the pool down, they could divert money to buildings, but nobody wants that. I drove 6 hours to check things out. Even though the units are sadly "used", and need renovation nothing could be done once ownership dropped below 50%. I met the employees. They are young, in early 20's women. I met Ms Mills. I have made my own observations. They are not the Wolves of Wall Street, taking our money and living off our maintenance fees. You should see the old cars they drive. And yes, employees must be paid, or the resort closes. No employees, doors close. I don't understand this anger towards the employees. Some reviews mentioned bad behavior, but I didnt see it. They gave me keys so I could check on my other phase 2 unit, which they didnt have to, because technically I would be trespassing. It was in better shape than my phase 3 unit that I stayed in. We should focus on the board/communications and even go to annual meetings. Over the years we paid maintenance fees but got our swaps so I got value for those maintenance fees. I dropped out of RCI when the points for my units dropped so low. Red flag. Also we could go anytime to EV, they have made that offer. We don't have to stick to our week or unit. If you live close, take a weekend trip and tell us what you see, first hand. When I go back to the very first posting on this thread, and read it all, I see how my attitude has changed as I became more informed. I hate being angry because it clouds my reason. I don't think John Oakes is the bad guy trying to take our property. It is deeded. But we can relinquish it, pay a penalty of forfeiting our ownership and walk away. Or we can hold on and take a risk that might or might not work out and give us a truly unique piece of property. EV is not like other timeshare setups. That was the beauty of ownership. MFs were so low, compared to other timeshares 2 decades ago. I paid 350 per week compare to 650 for a Florida unit in 2002, and the RCI points were comparable. That's why I bought 2. My unit in Florida is now 1200, with just a pool, and it's just an apartment in a tall building. I suppose I'll get some angry responses to my viewpoint. But, I'm not angry anymore. I'm hopeful.

Sammy1234

Reaction score
We inherited this timeshare too so we too have been involved since the 80's. Really the age of the employees do not matter. Bottom line is, instead of letting it get this bad, they could have gradually increased maintenance fees, looked for grants, brainstormed with the board to do something. You didn't mention anything about the fact that if they are putting out bids, they have to know what they are planning to do, why are they not letting us know? Plus how do they expect people to be able to handle a significant increase in maintenance fees and an assessment fee, especially with the way the economy is right now. If the number of timeshare owners has decreased over 50%, wait til these increases happen, its going to really drop.

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
You said "Bottom line is, instead of letting it get this bad, they could have gradually increased maintenance fees, looked for grants, brainstormed with the board to do something."

I'm confused, who is "they"?

The board did increase MFs, 350 in 2002 to 760 in 2024. That's an average of 4% a year over the last 22 years. I would call that gradual.
You wrote "if the number of timeshare owners has decreased over 50%, wait til these increases happen, its going to really drop."

I asked about special assessments when I was there in 2021. The office person said it was afraid of losing more people, just like you said. Ownership is less than 30% at my last visit in July 2024. It must be less now. Around 25%. Yes, EV will lose more. But Oakes is taking ownership through a new separate company of deeded back, ownerless timeshares. So is he part of our timeshare anymore? I dont think so. He's not an owner of Eagle Village POA, so he can't vote. He is Bushkil PA Eagle Village Property Owners, LLC. I think we will be separate. That's why I don't think our Board will be unreasonable with assessments.

About the bids, I think we need to start trusting the board. Give it some time to organize and accept bids.It has already said what the plan is. It won't be giving us a blow by blow. But it did say check the new website from time to time. The renovation plan just started and it said would take 2 years.
I'm a fact nerd. It helps me to stick with the facts. That's why I went to see for myself. I don't think there is anything nefarious going on. Truly. But I would appreciate your observations should you decide to visit it. I was reading up on the history of Tamiment Hotel just last night. It was such a wonderful, beloved place back in its heyday by so many people.
The real villian is Seong Hong, the man who bought the property and then closed it down in 2004, just 2 years after I bought it. I really feel cheated about that, but happy, Sammy1234, you got so many wonderful years. Makes me smile about the watermelon races, even though my kids missed out on that.

Last edited: