• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Now charging for laundry soap & dish soap?

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
I was just at Barony and asked for sheets and they tried to charge me $20. I have never experienced that before. Without the midweek cleaning I always change the sheets and I have gotten extra sheets . I was told it’s an effort to keep maintenance fees low. They suggested I do laundry. My response was that it's not a vacation if I am required to do laundry. So I asked to speak to a manager who texted me and said the sheets would be sent without charge.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I was just at Barony and asked for sheets and they tried to charge me $20. I have never experienced that before. Without the midweek cleaning I always change the sheets and I have gotten extra sheets . I was told it’s an effort to keep maintenance fees low. They suggested I do laundry. My response was that it's not a vacation if I am required to do laundry. So I asked to speak to a manager who texted me and said the sheets would be sent without charge.
Perhaps they should just remove the washer and dryer?

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps they should just remove the washer and dryer?
I know you're kidding. A significant part of what I like about a timeshare is the ability to pack light and wear the same clothes more than once a week by washing. Wife is concerned people will notice. I don't care. Wife does. She packs 5 pairs of shoes plus slippers. Part of my suitcase is reserved for her excess. We often bring a pack or two of powdered laundry detergent. And yes, you can still get powdered detergent for dishwasher and washing machine. It's cheaper, better and comes in a biodegradable cardboard box. What's in a pod? Break one open---significant part is powder. Powder can be iffy in cold water, though (sometimes).

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
I know you're kidding. A significant part of what I like about a timeshare is the ability to pack light and wear the same clothes more than once a week by washing. Wife is concerned people will notice. I don't care. Wife does. She packs 5 pairs of shoes plus slippers. Part of my suitcase is reserved for her excess. We often bring a pack or two of powdered laundry detergent. And yes, you can still get powdered detergent for dishwasher and washing machine. It's cheaper, better and comes in a biodegradable cardboard box. What's in a pod? Break one open---significant part is powder. Powder can be iffy in cold water, though (sometimes).

Interesting what some ask for. Does anyone else change their sheets twice a week at home? I'm for holding the line on excesses paid for by owners through maintenance fees.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting what some ask for. Does anyone else change their sheets twice a week at home? I'm for holding the line on excesses paid for by owners through maintenance fees.

The only time I have ever asked for clean sheets was when my young son had an accident and needed clean sheets. Otherwise- no have never changed the sheets in a timeshare.

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
When you’re going thru menopause and suffering from nights sweats you do. When you have sex 3 times a week you do. So it’s definitely interesting what people ask for.
Never have any issues with needing extra soap as we eat out on vacation. Run the dishwasher before we leave. I have never attended a single activity at the resorts that’s paid for by MF. Plus all the extra stuff I see being done there.
So different strokes for different folks.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
But if one is willing to wash their clothes on vacation they certainly should be okay watching linens or towels. Timeshare is never intended and never really was a full service vacation experience. I don't ever remember a time we had daily housekeeping or even mid week tidy (except in those few locations that still have it). Timeshare was kind of in between a home rental and a hotel stay when it came to on site services. The one thing where timeshare seems to spend a lot more money is with on site activities. IMO they are somewhat over the top and in excess of what you would find at many full service hotel or resort properties where you pay nightly rates.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Washing the sheets, assuming those rooms have a washer/dryer, is not much more effort than calling to ask for sheets to be delivered. I’m with management on this one.

The midweek cleaning never included changing the sheets, just making the bed(s.) So if you require fresh sheets more than weekly, I think it’s not the responsibility of other owners to pay for that special service.

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
Washing the sheets, assuming those rooms have a washer/dryer, is not much more effort than calling to ask for sheets to be delivered. I’m with management on this one.

The midweek cleaning never included changing the sheets, just making the bed(s.) So if you require fresh sheets more than weekly, I think it’s not the responsibility of other owners to pay for that special service.
Fortunately, management disagreed with you

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
Only in your situation because you raised a stink. It isn't like they made an overall policy change.
No need to make a stink. I politely asked to speak to the manager who then sent me a message. Maybe that is considered a stink. Never heard of such policy and I have requested this many times over the years. As I said to each its own. We all have different needs.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
These types of threads are always interesting and usually amusing. IMO the change is reasonable through I'd suggest a lead time and better notification of guests, a common theme with MVC changes. They could have included it in the welcome letter and put it on the HUB. I still suspect the change is actually more related to cutting personnel than the cost of the items themselves though both are applicable. That said, many have their wants that they may see as needs. These may include washing towels every day, their own hair dryer, their own personal care products, etc. They should plan accordingly when that is the situation. I would hope that after a month or 2 they would not give in to complaints unless they are going to change the policy further.

Last edited:

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a two-week stay, shouldn't you receive a complete refresh after 7 days? I'd just complain that they never gave you your second bottle.
Yes, we typically stay for two weeks at a time in Hilton Head and have always scheduled a full cleaning (no charge in the past) and have gotten a total resupply at that time for the second week. I am fine with the new ’pilot‘ program but would hope that starter pack would not apply to a more than one week stay. I guess time will tell (next late Winter, early Spring, when we will be at Monarch for two weeks and Sunset Point for 2 weeks).

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We are at Sheraton Broadway Resort right now. Our DIL asked for extra trash bags because of the twins' dirty diapers, which generally stink up the place. They were going to charge $2.00 for a few extra bags. So she bought some bags at Walmart and puts the dirty diapers into the trash can outside of the building. This would be a disgusting issue for housekeeping, to have dirty diapers in the trash bag in the unit with several days of diapers, just because they limit the number of trash bags. I looked at our kitchen trash can, and we have one extra.

Nickel and diming is exactly why we own timeshare. We own here.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott is missing out on free labor when they don’t provide cleaning supplies. Cleaning goes much quicker on checkout when all garbage is removed from unit and dishwater run.
I would bet that most people do not change their sheets on vacation. Give the 1% that do clean sheets.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott is missing out on free labor when they don’t provide cleaning supplies. Cleaning goes much quicker on checkout when all garbage is removed from unit and dishwater run.
I would bet that most people do not change their sheets on vacation. Give the 1% that do clean sheets.
Guests changing sheets doesn't help the resort in any way. Even if you changed them to clean sheets on the last day and didn't use them, they'd change them again.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
But if one is willing to wash their clothes on vacation they certainly should be okay watching linens or towels. Timeshare is never intended and never really was a full service vacation experience. I don't ever remember a time we had daily housekeeping or even mid week tidy (except in those few locations that still have it). Timeshare was kind of in between a home rental and a hotel stay when it came to on site services. The one thing where timeshare seems to spend a lot more money is with on site activities. IMO they are somewhat over the top and in excess of what you would find at many full service hotel or resort properties where you pay nightly rates.
If they need to trim expenses, suggest they cut the activities and keep the mid-week tidy. We almost never use the activities. All timeshares I have stayed at have mid-week tidy's. Hilton, Vistana, MVC Independents. In fact the independent in Europe this summer cleaned twice and changed the sheets each time. (Nice but unexpected)

Not as essential if only two but if you have a family in the unit and are cooking and located at a beach with sand IMO the mid-week is essential.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they need to trim expenses, suggest they cut the activities and keep the mid-week tidy. We almost never use the activities. All timeshares I have stayed at have mid-week tidy's. Hilton, Vistana, MVC Independents. In fact the independent in Europe this summer cleaned twice and changed the sheets each time. (Nice but unexpected)

Not as essential if only two but if you have a family in the unit and are cooking and located at a beach with sand IMO the mid-week is essential.

Personally we have the exact opposite opinion. I have no need for a mid-week tidy. Even when we stay in hotel we decline housekeeping when offered.

But during a week stay at a resort we typically attend multiple activities. My kids love to do the arts & crafts, my wife likes the fitness classes, and poolside trivia & music are always nice. A good activity schedule contributes far more to a great vacation than any mid-week clean and tidy service would.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Personally we have the exact opposite opinion. I have no need for a mid-week tidy. Even when we stay in hotel we decline housekeeping when offered.

But during a week stay at a resort we typically attend multiple activities. My kids love to do the arts & crafts, my wife likes the fitness classes, and poolside trivia & music are always nice. A good activity schedule contributes far more to a great vacation than any mid-week clean and tidy service would.
+1...we like doing all of those things, and kids absolutely love them.

ETA: we stay at timeshares for weeks at a time, and only need a room cleaning every couple of weeks or so. If they gave us decent cleaning supplies in the room we'd need it even less.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Since most timeshares don't provide a midweek cleaning, I'd think this the very first thing to go.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Since most timeshares don't provide a midweek cleaning, I'd think this the very first thing to go.

"Most?" AFAIK, the timeshares we've stayed at Vistana, Hilton, Hyatt, Independent (Europe) and (If I recall correctly) MVC all have it.

We would much rather tour the local area than participate in timeshare activities. We usually walk or hike outside the facility or use the workout room. Perhaps if we went to the same timeshare every year and our kids were young or we had grandkids we may enjoy the activities, however that is for a limited audience.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
What you mean my "most?" The timeshares we've stayed at Vistana, Hilton, Hyatt, Independent (Europe) and (If I recall correctly) MVC all have it.
Domestic continental USA Marriott Vacation Club properties don't have midweek tidy.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Domestic continental USA Marriott Vacation Club properties don't have midweek tidy.
Wow! I did not know that. I thought we had mid-weeks when we stayed at MVCs but it sounds like not. So how does MVC justify their higher MF relative to Hiltons and Vistana (roughtly similar MF) who offer midweeks? What benefits are you receiving that these other programs do not provide?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Wow! I did not know that. I thought we had mid-weeks when we stayed at MVCs but it sounds like not. So how does MVC justify their higher MF relative to Hiltons and Vistana (roughtly similar MF) who offer midweeks? What are you paying for that these other programs do not provide?
I don't recall having midweek tidy at HGVC in Orlando when we stayed, though we usually leave DND on the door most of the time. If you go to Hawaii a lot, then you may be more used to mid week tidy as even MVC resorts there provide it.