• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Now charging for laundry soap & dish soap?

ahdah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's SurfWatch Brewster Green Marriott's SurfWatch
Will this new charge/change be included as new information for all Marriott’s South Carolina resorts when making an exchange into Marriott’s resorts in SC?
Will they even tell owners before we check in? They haven't so far.

ahdah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's SurfWatch Brewster Green Marriott's SurfWatch
If they provide reasonable quantities for the size of accommodation in each kitchen and bathroom amenity at check in and for subsequent weeks if staying longer I don’t see a problem.

I read somewhere the marriott CEO, said "no way" and was not happy about hearing this. Some people over ask and go home with lots of goodies, and also housekeeping delivers bags full of stuff at some resorts. I think the resort guest/owner should only ask for what they actually will need, and housekeeping does not need to deliver a full bag. They probably dont want to make multiple trips and are short staffed. And maybe if they do have to charge, only charge Renters and hotel guests!! Not owners of a MVC
I read on a FB page that the new rules do not apply to Hotel guests, they will be able to get more supplies. That doesn't make ay sense to me. Owners will need to pay.

tamu_bu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Marriott should also monitor HVAC and water usage and charge for excess there. I for one am guilty of taking luxurious showers when on vacation!

heitmullerj02

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, HGVC Carlsbad
One year @ Vistana they did not provide shampoo, conditioner etc. I don’t think it went over too well with the owners staying there especially since if you traded in you got it. It only happened once. I just stayed @Marriot Sunset Pointe and was provided enough soap, dishwasher for the whole week. I had brought extra Tide.

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
One year @ Vistana they did not provide shampoo, conditioner etc. I don’t think it went over too well with the owners staying there especially since if you traded in you got it. It only happened once. I just stayed @Marriot Sunset Pointe and was provided enough soap, dishwasher for the whole week. I had brought extra Tide.
While it may not have gone over so well, i think many people, especially women, travel with the sops, shampoos and conditioners they like. I for one am not wanting to also travel with dish soap, scrubbers, paper towels, coffee filters and the like. Many ABnB hosts understand that they are in the travel enabling business and they have not been around as long as the TS people.

sea&ski

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Speaking of trash bags (a few posts up)... I haven't had to purchase clear ones for our recycling in quite a while ;)

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
One roll of paper towels and four dishwasher packets seem a little cheap to me. Housekeeping will likely be stuck doing dishwashing loads after people check out, so this will cost resorts more than providing at least 7 dishwashing packs. They will also have to wait 3 hr. for the dishwasher cycle to complete.
...and this is precisely why I think this is stupid and shortsighted.

This happened to us last year at Harborside Atlantis - a day before our checkout we realized we had run out of dishwasher tabs. I called the front desk and was told I could purchase more dishwasher powder in the store. I said "we check out in a day; you're basically telling me you'd prefer I leave all my dirty dishes here in the unit for the maid to deal with rather than leave a dishwasher full of clean dishes." the response was "Sir, unfortunately our policy is that the supplies left at the beginning of the week are "starter" supplies and you are responsible for anything else you need." So I said fine, we'll leave all the dirty dishes and hung up. I then promptly found a maid who was happy to give me two extra tabs. Pure stupidity.

For laundry detergent I can "kind of" understand as I don't expect the resort to provide me with supplies to clean my own laundry (on the same token, we're also not getting any towel service for a week). However, for any supplies used to clean any part of the unit itself, I think these should be provided as necessary. It saves no money to have guests skimping on their own cleaning or tidying.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I own at timeshares that will charge you $50-$100 if you leave dirty dishes. So in that case it is cheaper to either hand wash all your dishes yourself or pay for the $2-$3 dishwasher tab. Personally, at bare minimum I believe the resort should supply enough dishwasher supplies to run at least every other day, 3-4 for a 7 night stay in a studio or 1BR and at least 5 for a 2+ bedroom. If not, guest will either run the dishwasher without the cleaner or will use dishwasher soap or shampoo which can break the machine.

I own at an outer banks resort that strives to keep MF's as low as possible and was dinged by rci for their very bare bones "starter pack." The boards solution was to add a $20 resort fee for all RCI exchanges and rentals and make up enhanced packs with about $15 worth of supplies. Owners and guest of owners could also optionally purchase those packs for $15 otherwise the resort makes it clear that the "starter pack" is meant to set you up on day one until you could make it to the store to purchase additional supplies. I think for a 3 BR unit there was 1 coffee filter, 1 dishwasher pack, 1 roll of paper towels, 1 toilet paper for each bathroom, 1 full size and 1 bathroom size trash bag in addition to one in each trash, and 1 very small sink dishwasher fluid. I think after 2 years, they gave up and went back to the extra skimpy packs. I would expect Marriot though to just raise the MF's by $20 or $30+ to cover those things rather than charge a la carte.

My guess is Marriott is assuming most guests to the Carolinas resorts drive and will just bring extra supplies with them and if that is the case, they absolutely have to let guests know before arriving.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at timeshares that will charge you $50-$100 if you leave dirty dishes. So in that case it is cheaper to either hand wash all your dishes yourself or pay for the $2-$3 dishwasher tab.
...but then where does it end? Is the next step requiring that we wash all our towels and leave them clean and folded, otherwise pay a fee? How is charging for dirty dishes any different? I know you're not advocating the charge (so this is not directed at you), but just pointing out at some point even if owners want to keep MF reasonable, at what point do you draw the line and say there is a basic standard of accommodation that EVERYONE (owners, renters, exchangers...etc) deserves when they stay at a resort? This is a VERY slippery slope for Marriott to be going down that will only end in more problems than it is worth. Aside from the actual shortsightedness, whatever you save on dishwasher tabs and/or collect on "dirty dish" fees, the conflict and stress for staff cannot be worth it in the current environment that still struggles to recruit in hospitality.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just spit-balling a question to this group, given this started to make my blood boil a bit.

What if we encouraged a move to some sort of "volume" containers for these items (similar to the bathroom consumables)? I would not be opposed to a pump dispenser for liquid dish soap (perhaps something a bit more "stylish" than what is in the showers, but something that could be tracked and charged if taken; alternatively something actually integrated into the sink where possible) and a couple of cannisters for powdered dishwasher detergent and powdered laundry detergent. While I love the convenience of individual packs, the above would mitigate people taking extras with them (not eliminate as someone could always bring their own container to take any extra - but the canisters could be limited in size to provide enough to last a full week for everyone, but not enough to be wasteful). It would also have the benefit of eliminating "single use" packaging (which is increasingly an area of focus). I think this is a nice compromise as there is likely some cost savings over single-use packets that would help balance any "shrinkage" or even usage above typical use.

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
...but then where does it end? Is the next step requiring that we wash all our towels and leave them clean and folded, otherwise pay a fee? How is charging for dirty dishes any different? I know you're not advocating the charge (so this is not directed at you), but just pointing out at some point even if owners want to keep MF reasonable, at what point do you draw the line and say there is a basic standard of accommodation that EVERYONE (owners, renters, exchangers...etc) deserves when they stay at a resort? This is a VERY slippery slope for Marriott to be going down that will only end in more problems than it is worth. Aside from the actual shortsightedness, whatever you save on dishwasher tabs and/or collect on "dirty dish" fees, the conflict and stress for staff cannot be worth it in the current environment that still struggles to recruit in hospitality.
What employer in this day and age gives a hoot for stress on staff?

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
...but then where does it end?
It never ends, they have to keep trying things see what works and backtrack where it causes an issue that overwhelms the benefit. That's what we pay them to do as a management company.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
It never ends, they have to keep trying things see what works and backtrack where it causes an issue that overwhelms the benefit. That's what we pay them to do as a management company.
First, I think you misunderstood my question. I did not ask when "changes" in how the resort operates end or when does "management" of the resort end (as these are obviously never-ending), I specifically was addressing when cuts and "a la carte" charges end. I do not agree that this is just "seeing what works"; this is a march in a singular direction that (personally) I do not condone. As such, I do not expect it to never end (if I am to remain a customer).

Second, sorry, no. We do not pay MVC as a management company to allow local teams to come up with whatever random ideas they have and to use us as test bunnies. We pay MVC because we have an expected brand standard that we want our resorts to live up to (otherwise why bother paying the premium for the MVC brand). This is not something that has been indicated as an across all resorts MVC initiative, brand standards change, nor one that I see there was much owner engagement on.

What employer in this day and age gives a hoot for stress on staff?
At the senior management level, a lot more than you might think. Grinding every ounce out of staff is short-sighted and most employers realize short gains come at the cost of long term efficiency. Now of course, not all have this on their radar and many organizations are painfully slow to change, but recruitment and retention are big issues for MVC at the resort level and they know they have to find some way to staff resorts. There is not just an endless supply of people willing to do these jobs (and with unemployment at record lows, fewer than ever before).

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at timeshares that will charge you $50-$100 if you leave dirty dishes. So in that case it is cheaper to either hand wash all your dishes yourself or pay for the $2-$3 dishwasher tab. Personally, at bare minimum I believe the resort should supply enough dishwasher supplies to run at least every other day, 3-4 for a 7 night stay in a studio or 1BR and at least 5 for a 2+ bedroom. If not, guest will either run the dishwasher without the cleaner or will use dishwasher soap or shampoo which can break the machine.

I own at an outer banks resort that strives to keep MF's as low as possible and was dinged by rci for their very bare bones "starter pack." The boards solution was to add a $20 resort fee for all RCI exchanges and rentals and make up enhanced packs with about $15 worth of supplies. Owners and guest of owners could also optionally purchase those packs for $15 otherwise the resort makes it clear that the "starter pack" is meant to set you up on day one until you could make it to the store to purchase additional supplies. I think for a 3 BR unit there was 1 coffee filter, 1 dishwasher pack, 1 roll of paper towels, 1 toilet paper for each bathroom, 1 full size and 1 bathroom size trash bag in addition to one in each trash, and 1 very small sink dishwasher fluid. I think after 2 years, they gave up and went back to the extra skimpy packs. I would expect Marriot though to just raise the MF's by $20 or $30+ to cover those things rather than charge a la carte.

My guess is Marriott is assuming most guests to the Carolinas resorts drive and will just bring extra supplies with them and if that is the case, they absolutely have to let guests know before arriving.
All the ts resorts in South Carolina are very close to major supermarkets. IMO.

Last edited:

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
First, I think you misunderstood my question. I did not ask when "changes" in how the resort operates end or when does "management" of the resort end (as these are obviously never-ending), I specifically was addressing when cuts and "a la carte" charges end. I do not agree that this is just "seeing what works"; this is a march in a singular direction that (personally) I do not condone. As such, I do not expect it to never end (if I am to remain a customer).
I believe I was answering your intent restated above. Cuts will continue until owners say they are then willing to pay for things via maint fees ro guest satisfaction tanks and the GM gets fired.

Second, sorry, no. We do not pay MVC as a management company to allow local teams to come up with whatever random ideas they have and to use us as test bunnies. We pay MVC because we have an expected brand standard that we want our resorts to live up to (otherwise why bother paying the premium for the MVC brand). This is not something that has been indicated as an across all resorts MVC initiative, brand standards change, nor one that I see there was much owner engagement on.
This isn't local or random, its a regional trial. I most certainly hope we do empower the local management team and HOA to identify and implement and test potential cost saving measures at a resort level, or at a regional level. There are some significant difference in resorts and their owner/guest profile that necessitate local solutions to local problems. e.g US Spring break pilfering and trashing isn't a global "thing"

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
I have two units at the GO the end of June. Vacation time is precious for all so this time my 2 adult boys and their spouses will get their own bedroom. I am hoping my 2 year old will get to stay with us. I have no doubt that we will have extra TP. Normally I donate unopened nonperishables at check-in area if they have a bin for it and alcohol and drinks on a resorts FB group if they have one. I was thinking of adding the extra remaining supplies to the resort FB group. Given the response to the charge here and different FB groups, I think I could sell the extras on the black market. This will work until they add a sticker on the supplies that state not for commercial use. Think of the debate that the interpretation on what commercial use means will cause.

Is this a change from the past, yes. Annoying, yes until you know for the first time. I will plan accordingly on my first shopping trip after check-in. Sorry, but a much bigger deal to me are the people who push the check out time and do not do what they should to help housekeeping finish so everyone can check-in close to check-in time.

Just thought of one more solution. Use the bathroom's by the pool. *** Note, I said by the pool.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm finding this a very interesting discussion. Personally I tend to look at things big picture which means I look at both the personal and business side of this issue. We've all complained about increasing fees and demanding resorts/MVC control costs. We've seen the Tahoe Grand Residence discussions/issues as well. To a degree this is similar to Covid limitations with losing time and the skim for taking points on enrolled weeks. The general process is reasonable but some of the details might be subject to a reasonableness test that may fail at times. We stayed at a resort a few years ago that was previously managed by Marriott (two different times I believe) who didn't provide even shampoo or soap of any type. And as I mentioned before, when we stayed at HP early on, they didn't provide pool towels. Both of those were surprises that we would not have expected and had no advanced warning. IMO a timeshare should provide advanced warning for things that are different such as additional fees, or lack of providing options/supplies that the majority of timeshares provide without issue. So while I think the overall decision is reasonable, I think they should provide options for a larger volume for basic items or at least a way to get more items with a total limit. I don't think the volume for all items is reasonable esp the clothes and dishwashing. If they had a towel exchange options, that would be more reasonable as well. I really don't get all the hyperbole and drama though, this really isn't a big deal even if we didn't know until arrival.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just spit-balling a question to this group, given this started to make my blood boil a bit.

What if we encouraged a move to some sort of "volume" containers for these items (similar to the bathroom consumables)? I would not be opposed to a pump dispenser for liquid dish soap (perhaps something a bit more "stylish" than what is in the showers, but something that could be tracked and charged if taken; alternatively something actually integrated into the sink where possible) and a couple of cannisters for powdered dishwasher detergent and powdered laundry detergent. While I love the convenience of individual packs, the above would mitigate people taking extras with them (not eliminate as someone could always bring their own container to take any extra - but the canisters could be limited in size to provide enough to last a full week for everyone, but not enough to be wasteful). It would also have the benefit of eliminating "single use" packaging (which is increasingly an area of focus). I think this is a nice compromise as there is likely some cost savings over single-use packets that would help balance any "shrinkage" or even usage above typical use.

Seems like a good idea to me. My sink at home has a built in dish soap pump- its very convenient pumps straight down into the sink when doing dishes!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Seems like a good idea to me. My sink at home has a built in dish soap pump- its very convenient pumps straight down into the sink when doing dishes!
Good in theory, but ours at home conked out after less than a year of adult usage. If I ever had to put a new sink in, I wouldn’t opt for the sink pump again.

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good in theory, but ours at home conked out after less than a year of adult usage. If I ever had to put a new sink in, I wouldn’t opt for the sink pump again.
I have serially replaced them to no avail. They apparently dont really work well with "dawn" due to its viscosity.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our current home came with that sink pump but the bottle was missing. I asked my handyman who told us to buy another pump. We did and it works well and we have had it for a couple of years now. We put hand soap into the bottle.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are back in Club Son Antem Mallorca now.
This is the housekeeping schedule, very similar for all European MVC resorts.
They have the large, tamper proof amenity dispensers in each bathroom for body wash, shampoo and conditioner, plus soap bars.
Plenty of Villa and Pool towels are provided, although since last year you are asked to take your pool towels if using the spa pool.
Just a couple of dishwasher and washing machine tablets are provided although in the past these have always been topped up by housekeeping. We will see in the coming days whether they still do this.
Overall though this service seems about right and much better than is being reported at other MVC resorts.

IMG_1228.jpeg