• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Now charging for laundry soap & dish soap?

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
One person mentioned on a FB post, $3 for a roll of TP in the Marketplace.
If they're not going to supply sufficient toilet paper, I'll be quite tempted to use whatever else might be available in the room – towels, sheets, maybe even the bathrobe – to do what needs to be done when the paper runs out. Although it would be unfortunate for the housekeeper that had to deal with the aftermath. Or just use facial tissues which will clog the toilet, and then call for assistance every time.

Supplying toilet paper in whatever quantity is required by guests is a very basic requirement of any lodging establishment, in my view. Limit the laundry soap if you must, that's easy to travel with. But don't tell guests to buy their own TP. That's a step too far.

I hate having to call for more TP, even that feels awkward. But it's less awkward than running out and having to make do.

Ixchel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Ocean
Marriott Vacation Club
Shell Vacation Club SFW
If they're not going to supply sufficient toilet paper, I'll be quite tempted to use whatever else might be available in the room – towels, sheets, maybe even the bathrobe – to do what needs to be done when the paper runs out. Although it would be unfortunate for the housekeeper that had to deal with the aftermath. Or just use facial tissues which will clog the toilet
As an owner, I wouldn't consider doing anything that would damage my property, or worse, make extra work for the sweet people who do their best to make our stay clean and comfortable. It's not housekeeping or maintenance that created this policy, but rather the unfortunate actions of a few who decided to use the villas as their own personal Walmart.

I find that 3 rolls of TP per bath -- six rolls for 2 BR-- more than enough for 7 days. More than that, I need a colonoscopy, not a vacation.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As an owner, I wouldn't consider doing anything that would damage my property, or worse, make extra work for the sweet people who do their best to make our stay clean and comfortable. It's not housekeeping or maintenance that created this policy, but rather the unfortunate actions of a few who decided to use the villas as their own personal Walmart.

I find that 3 rolls of TP per bath -- six rolls for 2 BR-- more than enough for 7 days. More than that, I need a colonoscopy, not a vacation.
What the resort quoted was 8 rolls, 4 per BA. Although this won't be enough for my daughter's crew, it should be plenty for most people most of the time. It's been a few years since I've seen an inventory checklist at a resort, historically I've seen them many times. In theory and in print, one became responsible for items that were missing and the resort was not notified for most of those situations. Granted most of these were not MVC resorts but one was. The process was that you took the sheet, checked the inventory then turned it in if there were missing items. They'd then replace any items needed. I don't recall hearing of anyone actually charged but it was a possibility and often stated that they would be.

I don't see this as unreasonable in principle as long as they supply what they state. At one point HP didn't even supply pool towels.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I am not thrilled with the change, but understand the desire to try and control costs. This may be more of visual effort that people will notice, so they can point to as an effort to control costs.

I hate to waste stuff, and will need to find small quantifies of anything we need at store or resort marketplace as long as they don't totally jack the prices up there.

Its usually the dish tabs and paper towels that we run out of.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The policy was started in an attempt to keep maintenance fees down. Managers are reporting people requesting huge amounts of supplies ( 8-10 rolls of TP), often the day of departure.
The resort should certainly be able to deny requests or only provide what they deem a reasonable amount of items based on the villa occupancy and number of days remaining. If someone is requesting TP the day of departure, the most that resort should deliver is one roll per bathroom in the unit. The guest shouldn't be able to request a specific amount of supplies.

When I call down for supplies, I usually don't tell them how much we want unless asked. One time when I thought I had a cold, we called down several times for more facial tissue. I am sure they thought we had COVID but all tests were negative. It seems I developed allergies and kept having recurring issues that only went away when I started taking medication for it and using a nasal rinse. That was the only time I asked for a certain amount of tissues but didn't want to overask. I don't know why anyone would want to stockpile the crap TP they give us at these resorts.

Theseus

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they're not going to supply sufficient toilet paper, I'll be quite tempted to use whatever else might be available in the room – towels, sheets, maybe even the bathrobe – to do what needs to be done when the paper runs out. Although it would be unfortunate for the housekeeper that had to deal with the aftermath. Or just use facial tissues which will clog the toilet, and then call for assistance every time.

Supplying toilet paper in whatever quantity is required by guests is a very basic requirement of any lodging establishment, in my view. Limit the laundry soap if you must, that's easy to travel with. But don't tell guests to buy their own TP. That's a step too far.

I hate having to call for more TP, even that feels awkward. But it's less awkward than running out and having to make do.
Boston had its tea party to protest the tea tax. The American colonists believed Britain was unfairly taxing them to pay for expenses incurred during the French and Indian War. Additionally, colonists believed Parliament did not have the right to tax them because the American colonies were not represented in Parliament.

Seems there might be some historical parallels if this supplies policy spawns a TP 🧻 party.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems there might be some historical parallels if this supplies policy spawns a TP 🧻 party.
The colonists protested the tax by throwing out the tea and refusing to use it. Should vacationers do the same with the toilet paper? 💩 🤮

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Someone commented on one of my videos that that were told the same or similar at Sheraton Vistana Resort.

ahdah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's SurfWatch Brewster Green Marriott's SurfWatch
I have to say, I'm a bit taken by surprise. We're at HH Harbor Point for a couple of weeks, and have been coming here for many years. So a few minutes ago I noticed that we're just about out of dish soap and I could use another box of laundry soap before we leave. We're here for two weeks. So we texted asking for refills of both and were told - in writing - that any additional supplies are available in the small shop in the lobby. I figured they simply didn't have the staff to deliver. No. They're charging for another little bottle of dish soap and for a load of laundry. Has anyone heard of this before?

I'm curious because within the last number of months, we were at Beachplace for almost a month, and I'm sure we got additional supplies. We were at Ocean Pointe for around three weeks and I am sure we also got additional supplies there, particularly dish soap. So I'm curious if this is a system-wide change or an isolated one here in Hilton Head.

Don

P.S. For as long we've been coming down here, no one ever mentioned Flora's Italian Cafe. The only reason we came across it was because we were going to the Magic Cabaret which is a few doors away. We had an excellent meal there last night, highly recommend it. Now it will sit next to Hudson's on our must-eat-at list every time we come down.
It is a new rule that Marriott just started in SC on May1st. If you need any more supplies, and that includes TP then you have to buy it in the shop in the lobby or go to a grocery store. No one knew it was coming, until it just appeared on May 1st. I understand it is a trial to see if they can save money. Trying to remember, think the Palmolive is 3 dollars and so is the TP. Laundry packet may be 2. We are going for July 4th week so I will see it then. People have posted on FB with what they are asking and it is not at cost.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they provide reasonable quantities for the size of accommodation in each kitchen and bathroom amenity at check in and for subsequent weeks if staying longer I don’t see a problem.

ahdah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If they still provide the standard amounts in each villa on a weekly basis, I wouldn't have a problem being charged a minimal fee for any additional laundry detergent, dishwashing soap, or coffee packs. We should get the restocking for free for stays more than 7 nights and they need to provide enough dishwashing soap for at least one load per day. If they start charging extra for coffee filters or to refill the shower bottles with soap and shampoo, then they are going too far

This may back fire on the resorts in South Carolina. What will be the incentive for a non Marriott owners to clean their kitchen items when they have exhausted all their dish washing supplies and dish detergents ?? This may add work on housekeeping? IMHO
I don't think they thought through this new policy, who is going to pay $3.00 (when they pay over $2000 MF) just before they leave so they can do the dishes and save housekeeping that time. Not a well thought out new policy!

ahdah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If they provide reasonable quantities for the size of accommodation in each kitchen and bathroom amenity at check in and for subsequent weeks if staying longer I don’t see a problem.
I just found out that my 3 bedroom is getting the same little Palmolive dish soap and the same number of dishwashing pods that the 2 bedroom does. The front dest told me they had decided that was enough. I pay about 300 more than a 2 bedroom so I should get at least 2 Palmolive dish washing soaps. When my husband was alive and we lived in SC we always brought all of the extra things we needed, including paper towels, now I fly from CA so no room for the extras.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just found out that my 3 bedroom is getting the same little Palmolive dish soap and the same number of dishwashing pods that the 2 bedroom does. The front dest told me they had decided that was enough. I pay about 300 more than a 2 bedroom so I should get at least 2 Palmolive dish washing soaps. When my husband was alive and we lived in SC we always brought all of the extra things we needed, including paper towels, now I fly from CA so no room for the extras.
I agree larger accommodation should have more amenities to reflect the maximum occupancy and at our home resorts they do.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our body wash shower dispenser was empty, empty (nothing coming out) the day we checked in. Fortunately, they promptly refilled it when we reported it to the desk.
I hope you check both bathrooms for shower dispensers?

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
We own several timeshares - 16 weeks and all Marriott. We enjoy our stays and try not to let silly things throw a negative light on our good times. We already feel our vacation experiences are exceptional and certainly above our expectations.

Our original plan in 2006 when we first bought 3 weeks at Newport Coast was to have a family reunion at our timeshares every other year. Then I would make reservations every year just in case some wanted to come that year. Well, they adjust their schedules and come every year. With additional week purchases, OceanWatch has become the favorite site for our family.

We're just happy the families all want to come and make 6 plus reservations each year. I can live with the maintenance fees for our week ownerships. Thinking ahead, we may soon need to buy more OceanWatch weeks.

If someone wants to complain, think about what it would cost in maintenance fees to do what we do with a points only option - if you could even get the reservations.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Soap at TP at your nearby WalMart. Better yet, get Cottonelle moisturizing wipes.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Do we just have short memories? I seem to recall that prior to the pandemic there didn't exist this culture of calling down for unlimited supplies to have delivered to your room. When we flew for travel, we would always to pack the Purex laundry sheets with us to do laundry. We still had a few of those up till the pandemic. Now that we drive we just take our own laundry detergent with us. I just don't remember this culture of calling and asking for more stuff prior to the pandemic. When the pandemic hit, the resorts actively encouraged people to call and request more stuff if they ran out. I don't really have an issue with more supplies being provided, but we shouldn't be paying for resort staff to deliver it. People can go to the front desk to pick it up.

Last edited:

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
Sweet revenge. I refill my shampoo , conditioner, and body wash minatures using the now supplied "in shower supplied products"!

ecseig

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SeaWorld, Eloara & King's Land
I have to say, I'm a bit taken by surprise. We're at HH Harbor Point for a couple of weeks, and have been coming here for many years. So a few minutes ago I noticed that we're just about out of dish soap and I could use another box of laundry soap before we leave. We're here for two weeks. So we texted asking for refills of both and were told - in writing - that any additional supplies are available in the small shop in the lobby. I figured they simply didn't have the staff to deliver. No. They're charging for another little bottle of dish soap and for a load of laundry. Has anyone heard of this before?

I'm curious because within the last number of months, we were at Beachplace for almost a month, and I'm sure we got additional supplies. We were at Ocean Pointe for around three weeks and I am sure we also got additional supplies there, particularly dish soap. So I'm curious if this is a system-wide change or an isolated one here in Hilton Head.

Don

P.S. For as long we've been coming down here, no one ever mentioned Flora's Italian Cafe. The only reason we came across it was because we were going to the Magic Cabaret which is a few doors away. We had an excellent meal there last night, highly recommend it. Now it will sit next to Hudson's on our must-eat-at list every time we come down.
Is this an HGV property, or a Hilton hotel? We were at Sedona Summit last week and they replaced our nearly full (minus a couple squirts) dish soap with a new bottle during the mid-week service and added two more washing machine soaps to the three original ones.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our friends whom we invite to travel with us regularly usually head out to the store to buy kitchen paper towel and toilet paper after we check in. They don't like the "cheapo" stuff. My issue is that there is never enough dishwashing machine detergent and laundry soap to last the week. I think I will pack some of ours for our next trip.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Our friends whom we invite to travel with us regularly usually head out to the store to buy kitchen paper towel and toilet paper after we check in. They don't like the "cheapo" stuff. My issue is that there is never enough dishwashing machine detergent and laundry soap to last the week. I think I will pack some of ours for our next trip.
I've never really seen much more than two or three laundry detergents in a room upon checkin. We are in a studio this week and actually have three boxes of All, and we don't even have in room laundry.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Here is the display at Surfwatch in all its glory (in the little market by the check-in desk):

1717075226707.jpeg

Question is - where does the revenue go from these sales...to the HOA? Or if it goes to MVC, how does the accounting work so they pay the HOA for it?