• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Now charging for laundry soap & dish soap?

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was told this in Spain. If I needed more, to go to store. Of course I saw housekeeping in hall and asked for more and they gave it to me.

LeslieDet

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are multiple reports on the Marriott Owners Facebook group of these supply 'up-charges' at several properties on HHI as well as at Ocean Watch in Myrtle Beach. This has been reported to be a 'pilot' program that started May 1st and affects certain resorts (potentially limited to the East coast). The thing about pilot programs is they are to determine both the benefit as well as acceptance of the change. There's clearly a benefit to MVC if they save money on consumable supplies (which they will not pass on in the form of reduced or probably not even 'slowed' MF increases to owners). If we don't want to see this go from pilot to policy, folks will have to speak up. :shrug:
It isn't any savings to MVC. The savings goes to the HOA.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Was told this in Spain. If I needed more, to go to store. Of course I saw housekeeping in hall and asked for more and they gave it to me.
Wow. I have not seen any posts about this in any of the European or Asian MVC resort owner fb groups and I can’t believe that there wouldn’t be if there was any suggestion whatsoever that this policy is being introduced in these regions.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
For me, it is nice to just call up and request more supplies. Or in the case of our current unit, to request the ones we were supposed to get when we first checked in. Anywho, I wouldn't have an issue with a small charge for more as there is a cost to the HOA. though I doubt this would save us more than a buck or two in fees, so the convenience is nice. However, if there is a fee you betcha I am going to take any extras or leftovers with us when we depart. We usually do already as we bring them along to save us from having to call down as often. It is also a reason that we like lock off 2BR and larger units. Double the supplies.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
It isn't any savings to MVC. The savings goes to the HOA.
So, each of the boards held a meeting at each of the properties and voted to roll this pilot out at the several properties where this is happening OR it was MVC through their management agreement (and/or through their direct/indirect majority control of these boards unilaterally deciding to make this change … and maybe offer the boards a ‘carrot’ that they will pass on any savings to the HOA - pinky promise)… Considering there was no reported advanced notice or discussion with any of the owners at these properties, I’m leaning more toward “Thus Sayeth MVC. So let it be written. So let it be done”. (Bonus if you can identify the movie for the end of that quote.)

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So, each of the boards held a meeting at each of the properties and voted to roll this pilot out at the several properties where this is happening OR it was MVC through their management agreement (and/or through their direct/indirect majority control of these boards unilaterally deciding to make this change … and maybe offer the boards a ‘carrot’ that they will pass on any savings to the HOA - pinky promise)… Considering there was no reported advanced notice or discussion with any of the owners at these properties, I’m leaning more toward “Thus Sayeth MVC. So let it be written. So let it be done”. (Bonus if you can identify the movie for the end of that quote.)
It may not even be a decision that the BOD votes on. It could just be a policy that the management company puts in place as resort manager.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they still provide the standard amounts in each villa on a weekly basis, I wouldn't have a problem being charged a minimal fee for any additional laundry detergent, dishwashing soap, or coffee packs. We should get the restocking for free for stays more than 7 nights and they need to provide enough dishwashing soap for at least one load per day. If they start charging extra for coffee filters or to refill the shower bottles with soap and shampoo, then they are going too far.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If they still provide the standard amounts in each villa on a weekly basis, I wouldn't have a problem being charged a minimal fee for any additional laundry detergent, dishwashing soap, or coffee packs. We should get the restocking for free for stays more than 7 nights and they need to provide enough dishwashing soap for at least one load per day. If they start charging extra for coffee filters or to refill the shower bottles with soap and shampoo, then they are going too far.
It is annoying to checkin to a room and have two disher tabs. The diswashing detergent (Palmolive) here at Harboriside is a medium size bottle vs those tiny green ones at most Marriott resorts. So that will for sure last a week. Those tiny green ones usually don't.

Last edited:

LeslieDet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no idea who, if anyone, made the decision. But what your are missing is that it doesn't "save" money for MVC. It would only save money for the HOA, as the HOA is responsible for paying for all of the supplies. Remember, the management fee is based upon the operating expenses of the HOA. If there is a savings in operating costs, it would reduce the management fee paid to MVC. I don't understand why you believe that any savings would be put in MVC's pocket. That simply isn't how the system works. Who cares if there is any discussion with owners about it; if management sees abuses by occupants and imposes the fees to stop abuses, that is part of their obligation to dutifully manage.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have never been charged for additional kitchen or Bathroom supplies.
I would kindly as for manager on this problem.

The OP, is staying two week, therefore the resort should clean his villa, change the bed linen and restock all the kitchen and bathroom items (soap, fresh towels and toilet tissues). IMHO

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have never been charged for additional kitchen or Bathroom supplies.
I would kindly as for manager on this problem.

The OP, is staying two week, therefore the resort should clean his villa, change the bed linen and restock all the kitchen and bathroom items (soap, fresh towels and toilet tissues). IMHO

The reports are that it’s a newly implemented program at all of the South Carolina resorts as of 5/1/24. Several people have reported being charged at different resorts- so it’s more than just a single person or staff member misinterpreting a rule or being difficult.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reports are that it’s a newly implemented program at all of the South Carolina resorts as of 5/1/24. Several people have reported being charged at different resorts- so it’s more than just a single person or staff member misinterpreting a rule or being difficul
It's one thing for Corporate to dictate an increase in Fees, service, Lockout, Cancelation etc.
However when resorts start to Nickel and Dime guests on site I predict this will blow up on the poor individual staff. Especially the "At your Service" desk.

I hope they feel the "Heat" from the owners and guests and back off of this tactic. It's petty and stupid!

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It's one thing for Corporate to dictate an increase in Fees, service, Lockout, Cancelation etc.
However when resorts start to Nickel and Dime guests on site I predict this will blow up on the poor individual staff. Especially the "At your Service" desk.

I hope they feel the "Heat" from the owners and guests and back off of this tactic. It's petty and stupid!
It could also hurt satisfaction scores. The management company and BOD seem to take satisfaction survey scores very seriously.

iowaguy09

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex
Sheraton Flex
We just returned from a 10-night stay at MVC Los Suenos. The housekeeping policy was not explained when we checked in (and I forgot to ask about it), but much to our surprise we received 4 different housekeeping visits without even having to request for any. The last one was on the day before our checkout, which made no sense. All towels and bedding were replaced during every one of the housekeeping visits, and both dishwasher soap and laundry detergent pods were fully replenished each time. We arrived expecting only one refresh at 6 or 7 days in, and likely having to request dishwasher and laundry supplies. So obviously no draconian policy in place there!

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Otherwise housekeeping gets to start the dishwasher!
That was my thoughts, now they may find more sinks and counters full of dirty dishes..

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
This may back fire on the resorts in South Carolina. What will be the incentive for a non Marriott owners to clean their kitchen items when they have exhausted all their dish washing supplies and dish detergents ?? This may add work on housekeeping? IMHO

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
It could also hurt satisfaction scores. The management company and BOD seem to take satisfaction survey scores very seriously.
I feel housekeeping scores will goes South with this experiment in the South Carolina resorts. I also feel guests will reflect this in their Marriott's surveys and in their reviews to Tripadvisor. IMHO.

Last edited:

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
They'll let GSI slide a bit while people adjust and then they can work out what people will tolerate and plug any gaps.
TP is probably the thing that will get added back as that seems to be a stretch, depending on whether the initial stock is set suitable for the unit occupancy.
They do need to keep doing things to combat pilfering and managed down costs.

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
We rarely ask for any more supplies as usually what is supplied is sufficient. I do remember one time years ago at Grande Vista when we asked for another small box of laundry detergent we were told we had to purchase it. But since then if we needed extra it’s always been freely given. It also depends on how much is supplied. We’ve found dishwasher pod supplies can be as few as three or as many as 7-8.
My preference would be that we would not be charged for anything extra that we would ask for. We have had many stays with our Marriott ownership over the past 15 years and I can count on one hand the times I’ve needed to ask for additional supplies.

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, until the other day, I never even heard of being charged for more dish or laundry soap. Wash the towels? Well, not that bad an idea I guess.
If they want me to wash their towels instead of exchanging them, then they should supply extra laundry detergent especially if they expect me to use unit towels at the pool. If there are fresh towels at the pool, a few of those will make their way to my unit in lieu of the washing of theirs!

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
”Petty and stupid” - perhaps incentive “gifts” to attend owner updates will soon include housekeeping supplies.
I can see it now: "Would you like to schedule your owner update? Thats where you will receive the towels and TP for your unit." Until then you will need to come to the desk before using the bathroom and you can shower poolside."

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
When a resort charges for additional supplies; where does the money goes and under what budget line item for the resort ??????????