• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Now charging for laundry soap & dish soap?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I just don't see how this is a significant savings. What would it be, maybe a few bucks per ownership week? The cost of an employee running supplies to the room is probably a bigger expense. They could eliminate that by just having the stuff in a drawer or closet behind the front desk and make people stop by to pick it up. What about extra trash bags? We have run out of those a couple times..

TP should be unlimited. The stuff is crap for a reason. It is easy on the plumbing. Once people start to buy the three ply Cottonelle, they may run in to other problems.
The provided .2 ply is definitely eco-friendly…

Oyou

Reaction score
Staying marriott but never asked for soap charge

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our body wash shower dispenser was empty, empty (nothing coming out) the day we checked in. Fortunately, they promptly refilled it when we reported it to the desk.
Same here. I found the housekeeping lead in the halls. Just needed bottle of body wash. He came out with 3 full bottles of wash, shampoo, conditioner :)

Theseus

TUG Member
Reaction score
New policy part of MVC CHEERS TO 40 YEARS celebration, as in the best is past? Or, MVC providing more “countless reasons” to never again attend a “their lips are moving” production?

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
We have several Marriott timeshares and did not buy any because of the dish soap, the laundry detergent, etc. We'll "smile and wink" through the hardship.

Lindaandgeorge

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to say, I'm a bit taken by surprise. We're at HH Harbor Point for a couple of weeks, and have been coming here for many years. So a few minutes ago I noticed that we're just about out of dish soap and I could use another box of laundry soap before we leave. We're here for two weeks. So we texted asking for refills of both and were told - in writing - that any additional supplies are available in the small shop in the lobby. I figured they simply didn't have the staff to deliver. No. They're charging for another little bottle of dish soap and for a load of laundry. Has anyone heard of this before?

I'm curious because within the last number of months, we were at Beachplace for almost a month, and I'm sure we got additional supplies. We were at Ocean Pointe for around three weeks and I am sure we also got additional supplies there, particularly dish soap. So I'm curious if this is a system-wide change or an isolated one here in Hilton Head.

Don

P.S. For as long we've been coming down here, no one ever mentioned Flora's Italian Cafe. The only reason we came across it was because we were going to the Magic Cabaret which is a few doors away. We had an excellent meal there last night, highly recommend it. Now it will sit next to Hudson's on our must-eat-at list every time we come down.
We checked into Oceanwatch Villas in Myrtle Beach yesterday. . This is the sheet we were handed at check in. The joke while waiting for our room was that you don’t want to run out of toilet paper.
I have to say, I'm a bit taken by surprise. We're at HH Harbor Point for a couple of weeks, and have been coming here for many years. So a few minutes ago I noticed that we're just about out of dish soap and I could use another box of laundry soap before we leave. We're here for two weeks. So we texted asking for refills of both and were told - in writing - that any additional supplies are available in the small shop in the lobby. I figured they simply didn't have the staff to deliver. No. They're charging for another little bottle of dish soap and for a load of laundry. Has anyone heard of this before?

I'm curious because within the last number of months, we were at Beachplace for almost a month, and I'm sure we got additional supplies. We were at Ocean Pointe for around three weeks and I am sure we also got additional supplies there, particularly dish soap. So I'm curious if this is a system-wide change or an isolated one here in Hilton Head.

Don

P.S. For as long we've been coming down here, no one ever mentioned Flora's Italian Cafe. The only reason we came across it was because we were going to the Magic Cabaret which is a few doors away. We had an excellent meal there last night, highly recommend it. Now it will sit next to Hudson's on our must-eat-at list every time we come down.
We checked into Oceanwatch Villas in Myrtle Beach yesterday . This was the paper we were handed at check in. After a long wait for a 5:30 check in there was a lot of joking about not running out of toilet paper. We were told at check in that this policy is to keep our maintenance fees from going up so much. 😉

Lindaandgeorge

TUG Member
Reaction score
But apparently not anymore at some of the SC resorts. They charge for it now.
That is true. We checked into Oceanwatch villas at Myrtle Beach yesterday and that is the new policy that started on May 1st. We were told this is to keep down our maintenance fees . 😉

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Los Suenos
I don't have any bright ideas but there should be a better way to keep maintenance fees down.

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
This isn’t necessarily new, I think officially you’ve been supposed to buy or bring dishwasher and laundry detergent (and dish soap) if you need more than the paltry amount they give you (and we always do.)

We usually bring a couple of small zip-lock bags with laundry and dishwasher pods, but if we forget or run out, I’ve always had success by catching one of the housekeepers and nicely asking if they might have a couple they could spare. Usually they give me more than need. I’ve also been known to scan the housekeeping cart if I pass it in the hallway and surreptitiously nab a couple packets if we are in need. I think the same tactic would apply to requesting an additional bottle of Palmolive or whatever it is.

But I think if you call and ask them to bring you more, they’re going to tell you that you have to buy it, and at the properties I visit, it’s been that way for several years.
I do that also, bring, but pilfer.

chunkygal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are TP, soap, dish and washing detergents purchase in bulk? That purchase along is a saving to any TS resort. IMHO.

Some Items that can increase the operations of a resort IMO are replacing a roof, replacing air conditioning units and water heaters, replacing refrigerators , washing machine and dryers, replacing kitchen stoves and replacing thermals windows and my last high costs items would be replacing an elevator.

LeslieDet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll believe it when maintenance fees go down!
LOL - work your magic with the insurance companies to lower premiums, and then you might see MFs go down; otherwise, you just won't see the increase in that line item be as much as it has been in the past. Remember, operating expenses are paid for by the HOA. The savings goes to the HOA if they aren't having the TP and paper towels taken by occupants.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll believe it when maintenance fees go down!
I wouldn't expect for a second that fees will go down. IMO this is about limiting fees going forward from going up as much as they have recently. I strongly suspect the resorts have reduced staff and don't feel they have the luxury of delivering the items far more than just the cost of the items themselves though I'm sure both are applicable. It is not uncommon for resorts to limit such items, we'll see how consistent they are and whether the maids follow suit.

Last edited:

Theseus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the new pay for supplies policy apply to all guests or just timeshare stays?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If they still provide the standard amounts in each villa on a weekly basis, I wouldn't have a problem being charged a minimal fee for any additional laundry detergent, dishwashing soap, or coffee packs. We should get the restocking for free for stays more than 7 nights and they need to provide enough dishwashing soap for at least one load per day. If they start charging extra for coffee filters or to refill the shower bottles with soap and shampoo, then they are going too far.
That’s the ‘if’. Now I not only have to inventory my unit for missing kitchen supplies, but now have to inventory consumables as well when I check-in to make sure I’m starting out with the requisite number of TP rolls, etc. if I’m having to pay to replace them…

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have confirmed with the GM at Grande Ocean that they are now charging for additional supplies over the starter pack at the beginning of the week.
Will there be an inventory list for owners to know how many items of each they should have on check-in? One more inventory to do on arrival, I guess…

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is true. We checked into Oceanwatch villas at Myrtle Beach yesterday and that is the new policy that started on May 1st. We were told this is to keep down our maintenance fees . 😉
I specifically raised this issue in our owner update on the West coast a few days ago. The salesperson looked at me like I had 2 heads when I told them about this ‘East coast pilot program’ to wash, blow, or wipe away our maintenance fee increases… My assessment of their reaction is they genuinely didn’t know this was happening (and didn’t believe it was a good idea - from an owner satisfaction standpoint). The person wrote a note to ask their manager about it.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
I specifically raised this issue in our owner update on the West coast a few days ago. The salesperson looked at me like I had 2 heads when I told them about this ‘East coast pilot program’ to wash, blow, or wipe away our maintenance fee increases… My assessment of their reaction is they genuinely didn’t know this was happening (and didn’t believe it was a good idea - from an owner satisfaction standpoint). The person wrote a note to ask their manager about it.
Could well be genuine There's a lot of things that Salespeople don't know about the operation of resorts, as they are usually different organisations. If they do know, they're unlikely to defend in when they're trying to sell you something, and they'll lie or deflect.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
Maintenance fees are high enough. Management and the Boards (BOD) are trying to address this high inflation coupled with aging properties. I'm happy when our properties reduce any expenses in areas far from the guest experience of the typical guest. It may also be possible to increase the time between facility refurbishments. By the way, some of us come from humble beginnings and are always impressed by how nice these resorts are and how they are maintained.

It is not easy to get owners to offer their services as BOD members. Perhaps, some might even consider lessening the criticism of minor stuff and run for a BOD seat.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who have visited the 'test' properties, which items are they charging for, and how much are they charging? If I were staying more than 7 nights and was told I would have to pay for something, I would definitely speak to the GM about this. An earlier post indicates a sheet they were given, but no sheet was attached to the post.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who have visited the 'test' properties, which items are they charging for, and how much are they charging? If I were staying more than 7 nights and was told I would have to pay for something, I would definitely speak to the GM about this. An earlier post indicates a sheet they were given, but no sheet was attached to the post.
At Spain it was just laundry soap. They specifically mentioned it at checkin that if we needed more than original pack (2 loads) then more could be purchased at store. No mention of anything else. And when we ran out I just asked the house keeping cart (using Google translate) for more and she gave them to me.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Spain it was just laundry soap. They specifically mentioned it at checkin that if we needed more than original pack (2 loads) then more could be purchased at store. No mention of anything else. And when we ran out I just asked the house keeping cart (using Google translate) for more and she gave them to me.
It will be interesting to see what our experience in Spain is at Club Son Antem in Mallorca in a few weeks time.
Until now we have never had a shortage of supply of any of these “amenity“ products, but perhaps we just don’t use as many as some?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I bring extra laundry detergent in a container and keep it in the suitcase all of the time with dryer sheets. I actually wouldn't mind buying my own TP because the stuff in some of the resorts is rough. Think Scott Professional. So rough. Cottonelle Professional is way better.

Ixchel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Ocean
Marriott Vacation Club
Shell Vacation Club SFW

Don
This is an issue widely discussed on multiple Facebook MVC/Abound groups. Apparently effective May 1, 2024, a trial program was begun at Myrtle Beach Oceanwatch and all HHI MVC resorts to charge owners who request extra supplies-- detergent, dish soap, coffee/filters, toilet paper, paper towels, etc needed to replenish beyond the " starter kits". This, especially the toilet paper rationing, has caused a huge social media ruckus. There are some FB posts that the policy may be rescinded, but no verification on that.

The policy was started in an attempt to keep maintenance fees down. Managers are reporting people requesting huge amounts of supplies ( 8-10 rolls of TP), often the day of departure.

People have also been claiming that villas weren't stocked and wanting entire starter packs replenished-- so many resorts now have housekeeping take photos when villas are serviced, to prove supplies were given prior to guest arrival.

Ixchel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Ocean
Marriott Vacation Club
Shell Vacation Club SFW
One person mentioned on a FB post, $3 for a roll of TP in the Marketplace.