• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Now charging for laundry soap & dish soap?

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question is - where does the revenue go from these sales...to the HOA? Or if it goes to MVC, how does the accounting work so they pay the HOA for it?
Did you ask them?

Some market places are run as separate businesses by MVC. They would only pay the HOA if their business was operating on HOA funded square footage or using HOA funded assets. It depends on whether the HOA purchases the supplies, or whether MVC purchases them and bills the HOA for usage.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I would expect any savings for the HOA will come from giving out fewer supplies to guests, not the profits from selling the supplies. As long as the HOA is not paying for supplies being sold without being compensated.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is the display at Surfwatch in all its glory (in the little market by the check-in desk):

View attachment 93701

Question is - where does the revenue go from these sales...to the HOA? Or if it goes to MVC, how does the accounting work so they pay the HOA for it?
Good question who is following this Money trait. This sounds liked an internal audit issue and how much is it going to cost to track the supplies and the expenses of these items? LOL

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only thing we ask for are coffee filters because every resorts have a different brand of coffee pots.

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of comments.

1. We own at Beach Place Towers. Once we were there during spring break.(by mistake🤣🤣🤣) anyway, the bathrooms had four times as many supplies as normal. Basically they were putting extra individual shampoo, conditioners, and lotions back when that’s what they put out. So we were paying maintenance fees for all these extra supplies for these kids who don’t necessarily take good care of the rooms when they’re staying there…that was a big disappointment for us. I have to say I was happy when they went away from the individual bottles.

2. I absolutely believe that if you’re there for two weeks, they should clean your room and resupply everything. And I also don’t like it when there’s less than seven days of dishwasher detergents since we run the dishwasher every day at home and while we’re away. There’s always some dishes from breakfast and lunch even if we go out for dinner.

3. We never asked for additional supplies for 20 years. Then we stayed several times during 2020 and Covid when the spoken policy seemed to be call us and we’ll leave a bag outside your room with any supplies that you need. I can’t remember which resorts but we frequent Hilton head and the Florida East Coast resorts, at least one also seemed to expect you to wash your own towels so I would ask for extra detergent, why should I use my detergent for their towels?

In summary, I believe that there is definitely a minimum expectation of what should be in your room and if you’re there for a long stay, they should replenish as they clean the room. But I also don’t believe that what they started during Covid should continue…the should be some common sense here…..after all, the owners are paying for the supplies….and no one celebrates the increases each year!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
The only thing we ask for are coffee filters because every resorts have a different brand of coffee pots.
I get a kick out of places that give us only a few coffee filters and not enough for seven pots of morning coffee. They cost about 1 penny at the dollar store and 2 cents each at national grocery stores.

I typically bring my own coffee filters so that I don't feel inclined to give housekeeping a 2 buck tip for delivering ten cents of filters.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I get a kick out of places that give us only a few coffee filters and not enough for seven pots of morning coffee. They cost about 1 penny at the dollar store and 2 cents each at national grocery stores.

I typically bring my own coffee filters so that I don't feel inclined to give housekeeping a 2 buck tip for delivering ten cents of filters.
We've never been at a timeshare that didn't give us sufficient filters for a full week worth of coffee. That's not to say we had enough coffee to last a full week or if they were coffee filter packets that we had enough for a week. Usually we get 2 packets of loose coffee (one of each) or 2 or 3 filter packets (1 Decaf). We travel across all types of timeshares including Wyndham, Bluegreen, DVC and Marriott.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
When I take 1 packet of regular coffee to trade for a decaf, Worldmark resorts ALWAYS give me two decaf packets back. Since lately we have been going for only four days, Cliff no longer drinks coffee, and I only make enough for 2-3 cups at a time, we have a small stockpile of extra packets. (I use the oldest packs first).

Armada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Old Town Alexandria
La Belle Maison
My wife and I own at the Barony Beach and were there last week. On arrival, we found these supplies:
8 rolls toilet paper
1 roll paper towel
4 dishwasher pods
1 small Palmolive liquid soap
2 small boxes laundry detergent

Here of is a photo of the coffee basket. There were at least 10 filters.
1717188203073.png

This is a picture of the little sign with prices for services that was in the coffee basket on arrival.
Marriott1.jpg

Overall, I think the new policies are a bit short-sighted. I have a feeling these changes may have a negative impact on reviews (not a lot, but still something)

One roll of paper towels is not going to enough IMO. It was only my wife and myself and we used 2/3rds of a roll in one week. I did talk to one of the managers and let them know that they should increase to at least two rolls. He said others had noted the same thing.

I thought the ‘cheapest’ items were the little hand soaps that are provided in the bathroom. Holes in the soap? This type of thing reeks of Motel 6.
Marriott3.jpg

Overall, It was a nice stay. Got to visit a couple of new restaurants. Especially enjoyed the ‘Sips and Bites’ at Mark Anthony. They did an excellent job pairing the food and wine.

I did have one problem while there. For some reason, they were playing rock music through speakers scattered around the grounds from about 7-9am. For me, that time is nice to just relax-sitting on the balcony and listening to the ocean and the birds. After complaining for two days, it stopped.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
Sorry folks - Does anyone really believe this is a serious discussion over such minor items and is reflective of the views of those of us who own these units? I hear few complaints during our visits from real week owners. Perhaps the point system is diluting the happy users.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Sorry folks - Does anyone really believe this is a serious discussion over such minor items and is reflective of the views of those of us who own these units? I hear few complaints during our visits from real week owners. Perhaps the point system is diluting the happy users.
Ah yes… the points people…. the dregs of society.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those dang points. They never seem to equal out to redeeming a full weeks stay?
I was told that was due to "Breakage".

Guess where I heard that from? "Breakage"

robyn

Reaction score
I read somewhere the marriott CEO, said "no way" and was not happy about hearing this. Some people over ask and go home with lots of goodies, and also housekeeping delivers bags full of stuff at some resorts. I think the resort guest/owner should only ask for what they actually will need, and housekeeping does not need to deliver a full bag. They probably dont want to make multiple trips and are short staffed. And maybe if they do have to charge, only charge Renters and hotel guests!! Not owners of a MVC

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes.

sea&ski

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I dunno, where else do you guys get your year's supply of crappy Kleenex boxes???

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I dunno, where else do you guys get your year's supply of crappy Kleenex boxes???
We have a buyer for our last 15K Worldmark points, and Cliff has another cancer cleanup procedure during what would have been our last trip to the Big Bear resort. We are down to our last half a dozen bars of timeshare soap and our last flat skinny box of Kleenex that fits perfectly in the car door. Haven’t bought bar soap for over twenty years, so will have to add a budget line for that on my expense spread sheet!

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a buyer for our last 15K Worldmark points, and Cliff has another cancer cleanup procedure during what would have been our last trip to the Big Bear resort. We are down to our last half a dozen bars of timeshare soap and our last flat skinny box of Kleenex that fits perfectly in the car door. Haven’t bought bar soap for over twenty years, so will have to add a budget line for that on my expense spread sheet!
Do you have a stock of pencils from the golf course too? I find they fit perfectly behind the ear when doing DIY

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Do you have a stock of pencils from the golf course too? I find they fit perfectly behind the ear when doing DIY
Oh, and I’ll have to start buying scrunges; although the stash of lightly used ones under my sink will last me quite a while yet. Hated those creepy smiley face scrunges Worldmark went to, so never took those home. I often fold a scrunge to wipe a knife blade, and the open cut outs for the face looked like a cut hand waiting to happen.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Now people will be taking any extra TP home with them because "It's their allowed allotment." This could be a huge mistake for Marriott and the HOA budget.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

Me too! I bring my own, and I keep track of where I am staying to make sure to have cone or basket type filters. I don't drink the Marriott provided coffee. It tastes old and stale to me. I buy Starbucks flavored coffees (Mocha or Caramel blends) and enjoy my coffee every morning.

ahdah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's SurfWatch Brewster Green Marriott's SurfWatch
Typically we have not had to pay for incidental refills of any sort of soap.

At the Springfield Suites in Island Park, ID they had a pretty busy Laundry Room.
The front desk was selling Laundry Pods for something like a Dollar?
Again that was a Hotel not a Timeshare resort so I did not think that was an issue.
Hotels do charge but NOT timeshares. This is something new that Marriott started on May 1st in SC. I think it is a BIG mistake that the board and GM at each Marriott should have sent a letter or email explaining the new policy. The people arriving for that week received a notice about the cost, I believe it was $3 for a roll of TP, and $3 for a small bottle of Palmolive dish soap.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Charges for additional supplies are not being introduced in Phuket.
There is no indication that they are in Europe either, but we will check when in Mallorca next week.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I own at the Barony Beach and were there last week. On arrival, we found these supplies:
8 rolls toilet paper
1 roll paper towel
4 dishwasher pods
1 small Palmolive liquid soap
2 small boxes laundry detergent

Here of is a photo of the coffee basket. There were at least 10 filters.
View attachment 93825
This is a picture of the little sign with prices for services that was in the coffee basket on arrival.
View attachment 93826
Overall, I think the new policies are a bit short-sighted. I have a feeling these changes may have a negative impact on reviews (not a lot, but still something)

One roll of paper towels is not going to enough IMO. It was only my wife and myself and we used 2/3rds of a roll in one week. I did talk to one of the managers and let them know that they should increase to at least two rolls. He said others had noted the same thing.

I thought the ‘cheapest’ items were the little hand soaps that are provided in the bathroom. Holes in the soap? This type of thing reeks of Motel 6.
View attachment 93828
Overall, It was a nice stay. Got to visit a couple of new restaurants. Especially enjoyed the ‘Sips and Bites’ at Mark Anthony. They did an excellent job pairing the food and wine.

I did have one problem while there. For some reason, they were playing rock music through speakers scattered around the grounds from about 7-9am. For me, that time is nice to just relax-sitting on the balcony and listening to the ocean and the birds. After complaining for two days, it stopped.
One roll of paper towels and four dishwasher packets seem a little cheap to me. Housekeeping will likely be stuck doing dishwashing loads after people check out, so this will cost resorts more than providing at least 7 dishwashing packs. They will also have to wait 3 hr. for the dishwasher cycle to complete.

ahdah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's SurfWatch Brewster Green Marriott's SurfWatch
It is annoying to checkin to a room and have two disher tabs. The diswashing detergent (Palmolive) here at Harboriside is a medium size bottle vs those tiny green ones at most Marriott resorts. So that will for sure last a week. Those tiny green ones usually don't.
I hope SW is now using a large Palmolive dish detergent, last year it was the small one and they are charging $3 to replace that.