• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Now charging for laundry soap & dish soap?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I made the point earlier that I think this is more of a personnel issue than a purchasing issue. This change could easily result in a reduction of 2 FTE staff.
But are they actually reducing staff? My experience after attending a BOD meeting for Grande Vista was that they don't really do that. They just may not have to rehire someone later. Perhaps they lose some to attrition. No one got laid off because of this pilot. Does a resort really have two FTE dedicated to be runners for supplies to guest rooms?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
But if that was the case, couldn’t they just give you what you need for free with a visit to the front desk. I assume you have to go to the front desk to buy the items with their new setup.
Sure, I think there are many ways to skin this cat. While at MGO next week I intend to try for more insight. Though just having people at the front desk to get supplies occupies the staff. At MGO I think you have to buy it from the marketplace if you get it from them legally which will also occupy staff but with compensation to the system. As I mentioned before, I was at a Bluegreen resort (just got home about 1 AM and working today) and they had a room with a bunch of bins beside the front desk and all the items one might need in addition of having linen/towel exchanges done at the door. In a sense this reminds be of when many of the HHI resorts were closed due to weather a few years ago and they prioritized to owners at other resort over exchanges to the open resort. I believe those choices were reasonable but not the choices I would have made. There is a possible comeback to each and every way this is handled. It could be as simple as we were our own worth enemy. DVC started charging years ago and while I think there are reasons that make Disney a different situation, many of the same aspects apply. Plus, let's face it, most of any needed items will come from the maids anyway so it likely will make little to no difference in supply costs and I'm sure they know that.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
But are they actually reducing staff? My experience after attending a BOD meeting for Grande Vista was that they don't really do that. They just may not have to rehire someone later. Perhaps they lose some to attrition. No one got laid off because of this pilot. Does a resort really have two FTE dedicated to be runners for supplies to guest rooms?
It's a pretty intensive system the way they do this at least at MGO where they send someone individually for each call. I'm sure they can group calls at times but not at others. Disney has a dedicated team but it's across a much larger system and they make rounds on a time schedule. Obviously there is no one that does this and just this but it's going to be a piece of the puzzle. If they don't fire anyone buy don't replace loses, I'd look at it as the same. And it may be there is enough uproar that it goes away or gets changed, we'll see. I'll report back if I find out anything applicable when there.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I would be fine picking stuff up at a central location. Though that probably needs to be someplace that is monitored like the front desk, otherwise it might actually increase the amount stuff going home with people..

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I would be fine picking stuff up at a central location. Though that probably needs to be someplace that is monitored like the front desk, otherwise it might actually increase the amount stuff going home with people..
The thought is that staff just has the supplies in drawers or cabinets behind the counter. They can reach down and grab the stuff.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
But if that was the case, couldn’t they just give you what you need for free with a visit to the front desk. I assume you have to go to the front desk to buy the items with their new setup.
They could also just provide sufficient supply when checking in. I won't need supplies if they have 6 dishwashing packets, several coffee filters, rolls of TP, paper towels and garbage bags. Shorting these inexpensive items will end up costing more in the long run.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
They could also just provide sufficient supply when checking in. I won't need supplies if they have 6 dishwashing packets, several coffee filters, rolls of TP, paper towels and garbage bags. Shorting these inexpensive items will end up costing more in the long run.
Exactly. The idea that these requests are so prolific that it creates a real staffing impact is absurd. Either you're not properly stocking the rooms OR the impact of these requests should be minimal.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I still cannot square the circle as to why MVC maintenance fees tend to be hundreds higher than HGVC and equivalent to Vistana yet they still cannot afford a mid-week clean when these other provider offer this. What are they spending on that the other systems are not?

Perhaps one difference for HGVC is that their similarly sized units accommodate 2 fewer people e.g. Studio max = 2; 1 bdrm = 4; 2 bdrm = 6 compared to 4; 6 and 8 respectively in MVC. Could the extra cleaning, towels (pool and room), supplies etc be the MF difference that adds up?

However this still does not answer why Vistana can do this as they have equivalent occupancy as MVC.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I still cannot square the circle as to why MVC maintenance fees tend to be hundreds higher than HGVC and equivalent to Vistana yet they still cannot afford a mid-week clean when these other provider offer this. What are they spending on that the other systems are not?

Perhaps one difference for HGVC is that their similarly sized units accommodate 2 fewer people e.g. Studio max = 2; 1 bdrm = 4; 2 bdrm = 6 compared to 4; 6 and 8 respectively in MVC. Could the extra cleaning, towels (pool and room), supplies etc be the MF difference that adds up?

However this still does not answer why Vistana can do this as they have equivalent occupancy as MVC.
Don't quote me on this, but I suspect it's the proliferation of shorter stays that the DP/Abound system enables/encourages. I would speculate that MVC properties have a much higher changeover rate than HGVC and Vistana (despite the fact that both have point systems and permit shorter stays....none is as flexible and pervasive as MVC/Abound). As such, I suspect MVC is seeing greater cost pressures on housekeeping and supplies.

....all of which raises another question in this debate - with these new policies, is MVC changing the "starter pack" of supplies to match the length of stay? In other words, is the family staying for only 3 nights getting the same supplies as the family who has checked in for 10 nights? I would suspect not (edited to correct) as I can't imagine MVC has the ability to have housekeeping staff make such adjustments.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't quote me on this, but I suspect it's the proliferation of shorter stays that the DP/Abound system enables/encourages. I would speculate that MVC properties have a much higher changeover rate than HGVC and Vistana (despite the fact that both have point systems and permit shorter stays....none is as flexible and pervasive as MVC/Abound). As such, I suspect MVC is seeing greater cost pressures on housekeeping and supplies.

....all of which raises another question in this debate - with these new policies, is MVC changing the "starter pack" of supplies to match the length of stay? In other words, is the family staying for only 3 nights getting the same supplies as the family who has checked in for 10 nights? I would suspect so as I can't imagine MVC has the ability to have housekeeping staff make such adjustments.
Which is also likely part of the reason why DVC's fees are some much higher. I doubt trying to match the starter pack to the expected LOS is manageable. I do believe they should have a more robust starter pack if they they are going to be hard line. I'm sure we'll get some modification over time even if this basic process continues.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It doesn't seem that HGVC expends as much efforts on free activities. There are some but they are low cost Lei making or kid events, yoga class or pool exercise. Kingsland offers free Hula show on Thursday evenings but they more than make up for it on selling umbrella drinks and snacks at the bar. Some locations do not offer activities.

They have started paid for Destination Events to private concerts with famous singers e.g. former backstreet boy and NSync, and premium meals which cost extra (usually $199 for 2) and requires a presentation. These are top notch events for example in conjunction with F1 races in Vegas with open bar branded liquor and prime beef courses, concerts, dancing and F1 viewing from the pool deck at the Elara; well worth the additional cost and sitting through a presentation. I don't believe MF pays for any of this.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So... my SVR 2BR L/O which is about 1800 sq ft costs $1,520 in MF, while my MGV 2BR L/O about 1,200 sq ft costs $1,890 in MF. Both are in Orlando. It is truly mind boggling that. I can only imagine that MVC has alot more highly paid staff than Vistana.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

Don't worry, in a few yrs, Vistana resorts will follow the lead of MVC 😢

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Which is also likely part of the reason why DVC's fees are some much higher. I doubt trying to match the starter pack to the expected LOS is manageable. I do believe they should have a more robust starter pack if they they are going to be hard line. I'm sure we'll get some modification over time even if this basic process continues.
Yeah, I don't think matching the starter pack to the guest will work. The assigning of villas is just too fluid. You may get put in a room that was originally for someone with a shorter stay that was switched to a room where someone was originally assigned for a longer stay.

If it is really an FTE issue, I don't understand why they can't simply be able to provide additional supplies at the front desk. I don't see where this would become a staffing issue at the front desk as most often when walking through there is at least one or two people just standing around.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I like the idea of the front desk for extra supplies. I sometimes wonder if the hospitality staff shorts supplies so you will need to call them to bring items to your room so you can tip them.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It doesn't seem that HGVC expends as much efforts on free activities. There are some but they are low cost Lei making or kid events, yoga class or pool exercise. Kingsland offers free Hula show on Thursday evenings but they more than make up for it on selling umbrella drinks and snacks at the bar. Some locations do not offer activities
We'd really have to do a line by line comparison of two resorts about the same size in the same geographical area. Like Tuscany Village vs Grande Vista. I've also noticed that Sheraton annual fees are overall cheaper than Marriott. Though that might quickly change now. I do think the proliferation of shorter stays at Marriott properties is a big factor. More stress on housekeeping, maintenance and front desk. Then as you say, activities. Grande Vista has an abundance of these, DJ, musicians, luau show, comedian. All of this adds up.

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Los Suenos
I'm at Crystal Shores and yesterday someone called the villa asking if I needed anything. I said no and they responded with "Are you sure? What about towels?" They were so disappointed!:D So I said maybe tomorrow... Just sharing that it's so different from resort to resort. I recall being able to stop by the front desk at MountainValley for laundry detergent.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm at Crystal Shores and yesterday someone called the villa asking if I needed anything. I said no and they responded with "Are you sure? What about towels?" They were so disappointed!:D So I said maybe tomorrow... Just sharing that it's so different from resort to resort. I recall being able to stop by the front desk at MountainValley for laundry detergent.
This pilot, for now, is just at South Carolina resorts.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of the front desk for extra supplies. I sometimes wonder if the hospitality staff shorts supplies so you will need to call them to bring items to your room so you can tip them.
As a matter of principle, I don't tip to have something brought to my villa that I should have had to begin with.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
This pilot, for now, is just at South Carolina resorts.
Someone recently reported similar positioning at Aruba (both a reluctance to provide any additional supplies and a charge if you want to do a towel exchange).

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure, I think there are many ways to skin this cat…DVC started charging years ago and while I think there are reasons that make Disney a different situation, many of the same aspects apply.
Wait, what?!? We’ve stayed at DVC resorts at least once a year for more years than I care to mention and we’ve never paid for TP. Or soap, laundry detergent, or anything like that.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wait, what?!? We’ve stayed at DVC resorts at least once a year for more years than I care to mention and we’ve never paid for TP. Or soap, laundry detergent, or anything like that.
But they have charged for shampoo, soap, etc for many years though they enforce it better some times than others. Apparently the straw that broke the camels back was a lady who ordered 12 sets of everything late in her trip and stated it was for souvenirs.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
How much does it cost just in employee time to monitor and observe this program?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
But they have charged for shampoo, soap, etc for many years though they enforce it better some times than others. Apparently the straw that broke the camels back was a lady who ordered 12 sets of everything late in her trip and stated it was for souvenirs.
The answer really though should just be for the resort team to say no to stupid requests such as this or for any excessive requests, especially at the end of a stay, rather than to penalise the vast majority who use normal expected quantities of these items.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The answer really though should just be for the resort team to say no to stupid requests such as this or for any excessive requests, especially at the end of a stay, rather than to penalise the vast majority who use normal expected quantities of these items.
Nah. Blanket arbitrary policies are much easier to enforce. Better to tell everyone no than just that one person...:rolleyes: