• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Now charging for laundry soap & dish soap?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The answer really though should just be for the resort team to say no to stupid requests such as this or for any excessive requests, especially at the end of a stay, rather than to penalise the vast majority who use normal expected quantities of these items.

Nah. Blanket arbitrary policies are much easier to enforce. Better to tell everyone no than just that one person...:rolleyes:
I agree with Jeremy that having blanket policies that get people to at least think about what they are doing are paramount if this road is going to be taken. I do believe the current trial is a bit draconian but I do also believe that the principle is sound. I suspect it either goes away or gets altered as it will generate complaints. I do think there are more reasonable ways to accomplish what I think are the main goals.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I agree with Jeremy that having blanket policies that get people to at least think about what they are doing are paramount if this road is going to be taken. I do believe the current trial is a bit draconian but I do also believe that the principle is sound. I suspect it either goes away or gets altered as it will generate complaints. I do think there are more reasonable ways to accomplish what I think are the main goals.
I believe dioxide was being facetious.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We empty our trash out everyday, which means that we need 7 trash bag for a week's stay. We also do 2 to 3 loads of laundry each week, when we invite another couple to join us. We also run our dishwasher everyday because we have breakfast in the room, and have some dinners in the room, and there is not enough dishes and utensils provided to not need to run the dishwasher everyday. So having just a couple of tabs for the dishwasher is ridiculous. This is worst than other timeshare systems where they provide you with whatever supplies that you need.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe dioxide was being facetious.
Regardless I believe it is a valid argument. Any time there are item by item decisions to be made, they will be made arbitrarily and variably.

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Los Suenos
This was slipped in the door on the 5th day at Crystal Shores (had the please do not disturb magnet up). I didn't think we would get any servicing during our stay. Any ideas?
IMG_20240626_191045.jpg

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We empty our trash out everyday, which means that we need 7 trash bag for a week's stay. We also do 2 to 3 loads of laundry each week, when we invite another couple to join us. We also run our dishwasher everyday because we have breakfast in the room, and have some dinners in the room, and there is not enough dishes and utensils provided to not need to run the dishwasher everyday. So having just a couple of tabs for the dishwasher is ridiculous. This is worst than other timeshare systems where they provide you with whatever supplies that you need.
One of my pet peeves is not having enough dishes in the room. If occupancy is 6 then most timeshares only provide 6 plates and utensils. HGVC studio? only 2. You end up washing several times a day using more pods and water. I wonder about whether this truly saves because you end up using more pods and water and wear on the dishwasher. If I had double the dishes I would allow them to load into the dishwasher and would only need to run once a day.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
If we stopped complaining and spent $15 on a few supplies for the week would this cover it?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If we stopped complaining and spent $15 on a few supplies for the week would this cover it?
Isn't MVC/Vistana considered a more luxurious brand of timeshare? Granted it is not Four Seasons or the Ritz. It is not so much $15, but the nickle and diming which makes it a 1 star resort. Worldmark gives me as many washing detergent boxes and dishwasher pods as I want.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of my pet peeves is not having enough dishes in the room. If occupancy is 6 then most timeshares only provide 6 plates and utensils. HGVC studio? only 2. You end up washing several times a day using more pods and water. I wonder about whether this truly saves because you end up using more pods and water and wear on the dishwasher. If I had double the dishes I would allow them to load into the dishwasher and would only need to run once a day.
I don't know of any timeshare that routinely provides more dishes than occupancy. Sometimes a few items end up in a unit that run it over. I assume the studio you reference sleeps 2. I've found that studios are the most variable type of unit from resort to resort and system to system. I'd point out that over the long run I doubt what you suggest would make any difference in wear and tear or water usage. What will increase water usage dramatically is washing dishes in the sink.
But what's the fun in that. I've told my group (17 units next week) to be prepared for this issue. The reality is that some of us would have been prepared even knowing how it was done before, given our background and upbringing. We just can't help ourselves.

Interestingly I was reading over the HL quarterly report today and they said that even with the extra income from week 53, they ended last year with a deficit but had made large strides in making that up this year. They didn't specify but it made me wonder what they've done. Ultimately we can't have it both ways, demanding lower fees and not having challenges/compromises.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I still cannot square the circle as to why MVC maintenance fees tend to be hundreds higher than HGVC and equivalent to Vistana yet they still cannot afford a mid-week clean when these other provider offer this. What are they spending on that the other systems are not?

Perhaps one difference for HGVC is that their similarly sized units accommodate 2 fewer people e.g. Studio max = 2; 1 bdrm = 4; 2 bdrm = 6 compared to 4; 6 and 8 respectively in MVC. Could the extra cleaning, towels (pool and room), supplies etc be the MF difference that adds up?

However this still does not answer why Vistana can do this as they have equivalent occupancy as MVC.
Hilton gets its fees from RCI members trading in. $175 for a full week at even an Orlando resort.

Theseus

TUG Member
Reaction score
One benefit of this pilot program is it gives me a new reason to decline owner updates at any MVC resort. I let them know I have read about this on TUG and that I have no interest in increasing my ownership (not that I do anyway) as long as this nickel and diming is happening anywhere in the system - I usually dismiss my wife before launching this rant as she thinks I’m just being obtuse.

The charging for extra supplies seems misdirected. All guests (owners, renters, exchanger) use the supplies and this should be built into each stay no matter how it is “paid for.” The same does not apply to activities. Yes, all guests have access, but utilization varies significantly. Sometimes we have done included activities and other times we have not. We have not yet done a paid activity but nearly did a brats and beer event at Mountainside earlier this month. Perhaps more of the activities should have fees, if these are contributing significantly towards maintenance fees increases.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Checked in to MGO today and the volume of the supplies in question is significantly more than previously advertised. We have a number of rooms so it's definitely not just one maid doing this. My guess is they had enough complaints that they decided to increase the volume which is the right thing to do IMO. 3 coffees total (1 decaf), plenty of filters, a good handful of DW pods, 3 clothes washing packets, around 10 creamers and an extra roll of paper towels. No extra box of tissues in any room I checked though.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
No extra box of tissues in any room I checked though.
This one might be an issue. I know they don't replace the boxes that are already open in the unit. So you could have one sitting on the counter that is almost empty and not know it.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This one might be an issue. I know they don't replace the boxes that are already open in the unit. So you could have one sitting on the counter that is almost empty and not know it.
What it looks like is they did replace them. Both look full in this unit. I didn't check all 16 units both baths but I did 4 and no extra.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
What it looks like is they did replace them. Both look full in this unit. I didn't check all 16 units both baths but I did 4 and no extra.
I would think that throwing away all of the partially used tissue boxes in each villa would be more expensive than just having an extra box in addition to the open box that is still left. I have allergies in the morning so I often need to start the second box. I guess I could use toilet paper....but that is also being rationed.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
Checked out of the MGO today. The reports of the death of no additional toilet paper has been greatly exaggerated, First we had 4 rolls of toilet paper in each bathroom. If you have 8 people that should be enough and if you have less than 8 and run out, you should see a doctor. We had maybe 10 pods of dishwasher detergent and 3 pouches for laundry. If people stop complaining and maybe call the front, the MGO has decided to not implement the program. As far as mid week tidy, they never did this. All is now right with the world of timeshares, at least at the MGO.

Now that there is no limit I stuffed my checked bag only to find out I was over the weight and had to pay $50. I decided to take the paper out. Boy was I embarrassed.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I would think that throwing away all of the partially used tissue boxes in each villa would be more expensive than just having an extra box in addition to the open box that is still left. I have allergies in the morning so I often need to start the second box. I guess I could use toilet paper....but that is also being rationed.
I suppose it is possible that the prior guests in the villa took the box and any spares. I know I have take a partial box to have in our vehicle. I have also noticed many times that the box that was already open only had a few tissues before it got to the warning color indicating the box was low.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I suppose it is possible that the prior guests in the villa took the box and any spares. I know I have take a partial box to have in our vehicle. I have also noticed many times that the box that was already open only had a few tissues before it got to the warning color indicating the box was low.
I have never had Kleenex give me a warning. Calculator tape, yes, but never a tissue box!

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I have never had Kleenex give me a warning. Calculator tape, yes, but never a tissue box!
It seems like the ones they provide in our MVC timeshares, the tissues turn to a tan color (from white) when you get to the bottom of the box. I think this is common for products intended for commercial use vs the stuff you buy for your home.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL, are they going to charge you for those pink& white Scrub Mommy scrubber sponges ? They are found under the kitchen sink cabinet. LOL

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems like the ones they provide in our MVC timeshares, the tissues turn to a tan color (from white) when you get to the bottom of the box. I think this is common for products intended for commercial use vs the stuff you buy for your home.
Dioxide45 have change his aviator ? LOL

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No real issues on our trip related to supplies. Other than the tissues, which worked out OK as well, we had plenty of supplies. The facial tissues could be an issue for some and the coffee for heavy coffee drinkers but that's about it. I did talk to the staff and the word was a combination of reasons to include staffing for runners and cost of supplies. The big factor seemed to be supply hogs as stated by two different people. The other obvious issue I saw, which I think is somewhat related in principle, is maintenance was considerably less responsive and timely compared to previous trips. We didn't have any major issue but when we did have to call there were noticeable delays and no coverage overnight from around 11 PM to 7:30 AM and I'm pretty sure they had someone on site 24/7 previously. Overall a great trip and the everyone we did interact with were friendly and helpful. They also have a more automated system when you call the front desk with does add some layers to work through. I also noticed they were not as quick to respond to texts as in previous years.

Stayed 2 nights at the Bluegreen resort in Savannah on the way home and the difference was pretty striking in regards to responsiveness, much better but certainly a smaller resort though less staff as well.

ETA:
  • 8 rolls TP
  • about 6 or 7 DW pods
  • 3 Clothes powder packets
  • 2 boxes facial tissues.
  • 3 coffees (2/1) with plenty of filters.
  • Extra roll Paper Towels.
  • 3 bars of soap total (biggest issue for us)
  • A full small Palmolive

Last edited: