I have booked one week at Maui (L and N Towers) for second week in Oct.
It is too early to cancel right now- but how far back can I cancel and get full use of my points?
But unless you plan to reuse them before the end of your current use year (assuming you used current use year points) make sure you are aware of your banking deadline as well.More than 60 days.
What is the proper way to take advantage of this?If your usage is before 4/23/20 this is what the covid-19 cancellation policy posted on mvc says.
Cancelling a Reservation Made with Ownership Weeks, with Arrival Dates Through April 23, 2020:
- Receive an Interval International week that will be deposited into your Interval International account within the next 10 days for future use. The Interval International week will have a reduced exchange rate of $99 and will expire on December 16, 2021. You will be able to check availability up to 120 days prior to your desired travel date.
I don't think you can even deposit a week in to II that is before 4/23. The only option is to call.
You need to contact MVC.
We had our home week booked in Hawaii at MKO arriving May 2nd and we did the flex deposit into II. I would be surprised if they suddenly offer a different option as many people will be upset that the rules suddenly changed midstream.Long-time lurker here, finally created a log-in today. I've been following all the various threads pertaining to Marriott, Hawaii and the coronavirus over the past couple weeks plus checking the vacation club site for updates. My husband and I are MOC owners (EOYE) and booked our trip to go mid-May a year ago but it appears a pretty safe bet it won't be happening. We are platinum II members and have used them numerous times for getaways over the years but that has been our only dealing with them. We have always used our week at our home resort because we love Maui. We are in the 59 to 14 day window and we're trying to figure out the best course of action. Currently we'd have a late deposit into II good for 2 years from our check-out date with a 60 day window to look at. If MVC extends out the April 23rd date of reservations for our time-frame it appears we would have a week good only until 12-16-21, pay a $99 exchange fee even though we are II members, and have a 120 day window. Don't know if they will extend it out but looking for opinions on if anyone considers the second potential option better because of the 120 day window even with the $99 fee and less time to use it. We have never dealt with this before so not sure what we can expect to find in a 60 day window (I'm guessing our home resort is off the table in either scenario but honestly have no idea). Lots of knowledgeable folks on here so what do you think, cancel now or wait?
I completed the online form on MVC owner site 10 days ago. My check-in date was supposed to be today. Marriott Owner Services sent me an email on Saturday. (apologize if this is listed on thread elsewhere— I only read the last few posts)
If things continue on as they are or get worse MVC may extend out the timeframe they are automatically cancelling bookings (currently thru 4/23). We're just wondering if we should wait to see if that happens if there is more benefit to having a 120 day window but having to pay the $99 fee and having to use it by next December vs. what we would get right now which is 2 years to use it and a 60 day window. Obviously, we don't know if MVC will decide to cancel May bookings but just looking for opinions on which of the two situations is better. If what we would get now is better we want to do it before they decide to automatically cancel bookings into May and we are stuck with a worse option. Hopefully that makes sense.We had our home week booked in Hawaii at MKO arriving May 2nd and we did the flex deposit into II. I would be surprised if they suddenly offer a different option as many people will be upset that the rules suddenly changed midstream.
Yesterday, I used MVC chat to cancel my two early April Hawaii deeded weeks reservations at around 10am EST. The chat agent was available within 1 min, which was surprising. It took them about 20 mins to complete the cancelation of both. Not bad. Service was good.I completed the online form on MVC owner site 10 days ago. My check-in date was supposed to be today. Marriott Owner Services sent me an email on Saturday. (apologize if this is listed on thread elsewhere— I only read the last few posts)
Here’s what some of email says:
“ As a good will gesture, we would like to provide you an Interval International certificate valid until December 16, 2021 that allows you to check availability up to 120 days prior to your desired travel date. We have requested the certificate and it will be added to your Interval International account within 10 business days.
For additional information, or when you are ready to use the certificate please contact Marriott Owner Services directly by calling 800-845-4226. “
I canceled a week back around March 19th and the certificate/deposit still hasn’t shown up. I assume they are way behind.Yesterday, I used MVC chat to cancel my two early April Hawaii deeded weeks reservations at around 10am EST. The chat agent was available within 1 min, which was surprising. It took them about 20 mins to complete the cancelation of both. Not bad. Service was good.
Beyond the chat transcript history, there is no real audit trail. I have not yet seen a cancel email, my MVC account doesn't show cancelation, and my II account doesn't show any certificate/deposit either. I assume all will happen in a few days?
Meanwhile, one of the resorts contacted me last night via email/phone to confirm my arrival. I would hope MVC chat cancelation would process in the system and then update the cancelation to the resorts. Appears to be delayed though. Gut says....regardless....result will be the same (MVC res cancel, II cert provided). Thoughts?
Per https://hub.vacationclub.com/resort-updates/Just as an FYI for anyone planning on still traveling for their owner's week. We were still back and forth on what to do with Mom's reservation and just happened to go online to Mom's account to find out her reservation at Desert Springs had been cancelled without any notification to her. In fact, she had checked in just last week. In live chat with MVCI they didn't know why it happened and said it was the resort that did it. Told me to call resort and find out. Front desk didn't know what happened either as they were still open for business for owners. She told me they were only cancelling if owner wanted to cancel. However, in checking with management the front desk then discovered that they were in fact cancelling but didn't know why we were not notified. They said corporate made the decision? Yet corporate said the resort made the decision. The upshot is there is a lot of miscommunication so I would double, triple check your reservation with the resort before you go - and ask for a manager to confirm because even the front desk doesn't have the most up to date information. Had we gone we may have been standing in the street with no place to stay after being forced to check out of the first two nights of San Diego vacation club (no extensions). I guess this made up our mind for sure - better safe than sorry.
I am not aware of one. Kudos to Westgate. For once. The challenge though is a lot of people will be disappointed with inventory that is available since much of it is probably already booked. Those prime weeks aren't available anymore. So I suspect each companies policies have their pros and cons. Neither is ideal.Has MVCI made a similar policy that Westgate announced yesterday. All Westgate reservations booked through June 26 can be cancelled and re-booked (for a later date in 2020) free of charge.
I'm not that familiar with the functioning of Westgate but that option would be problematic for weeks owners with Marriott because of the season aspect of the ownership. I'm not sure legally they could cross over seasons with such a plan.Has MVCI made a similar policy that Westgate announced yesterday. All Westgate reservations booked through June 26 can be cancelled and re-booked (for a later date in 2020) free of charge.
I don't think you can deposit it directly with II since your checkin is before May 14th. Marriott will have to issue you a special exchange certificate. SO I think you have to call Marriott. I suspect it is doubtful it will be able to trade for Hawaii. It may have certain restrictions that exclude Hawaii. Someone with more knowledge of this specific certificate should be able to answer that.Does anyone know the exact restrictions on the week deposited by Marriott to Interval International. MVCI website says if check-in is on or before May 14, 2020 they will provide an exchange week good until Dec. 14, 2021 that can be exchanged 120 days in advance. I am 31 days from check-in with a Hawaii week. Am I better to deposit it directly with Interval? Or should I accept the Marriott certificate? I want to use my exchange week to reserve future dates in Hawaii.