• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MARRIOTT / CORONAVIRUS [MERGED]

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I cancelled at 79 days. So I was outside the 61 day dead line by over 2 weeks. Apologies for my unclear post.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
No, I cancelled at 79 days. So I was outside the 61 day dead line by over 2 weeks. Apologies for my unclear post.
Thanks for clarifying.

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cancelled 2 nights in Phoenix (Marriott Canyon Villas) - it was booked for last week through Destination points. I cancelled one week earlier.

I got my points back - I will be able to use them through to the end of next year.

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have booked one week at Maui (L and N Towers) for second week in Oct.

It is too early to cancel right now- but how far back can I cancel and get full use of my points?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

It is too early to cancel right now- but how far back can I cancel and get full use of my points?
More than 60 days.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

More than 60 days.
But unless you plan to reuse them before the end of your current use year (assuming you used current use year points) make sure you are aware of your banking deadline as well.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
If your usage is before 4/23/20 this is what the covid-19 cancellation policy posted on mvc says.

Cancelling a Reservation Made with Ownership Weeks, with Arrival Dates Through April 23, 2020:
  • Receive an Interval International week that will be deposited into your Interval International account within the next 10 days for future use. The Interval International week will have a reduced exchange rate of $99 and will expire on December 16, 2021. You will be able to check availability up to 120 days prior to your desired travel date.
What is the proper way to take advantage of this?

1. Cancel with MVC and let them deposit the II week?
or
2. Deposit with II directly?

I assume both end with the same result?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

or

I don't think you can even deposit a week in to II that is before 4/23. The only option is to call.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

or

You need to contact MVC.
I was able to do mine by chat- it was a short wait.
Or call MVC.
I agree with dioxide that you can’t deposit into II yourself. Others have posted II is not accepting Marriott deposits within 30 days.
This special cancellation MVC is offering is not the same rules as II has for late deposit.

Last edited:

hulachic

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOC
Long-time lurker here, finally created a log-in today. I've been following all the various threads pertaining to Marriott, Hawaii and the coronavirus over the past couple weeks plus checking the vacation club site for updates. My husband and I are MOC owners (EOYE) and booked our trip to go mid-May a year ago but it appears a pretty safe bet it won't be happening. We are platinum II members and have used them numerous times for getaways over the years but that has been our only dealing with them. We have always used our week at our home resort because we love Maui. We are in the 59 to 14 day window and we're trying to figure out the best course of action. Currently we'd have a late deposit into II good for 2 years from our check-out date with a 60 day window to look at. If MVC extends out the April 23rd date of reservations for our time-frame it appears we would have a week good only until 12-16-21, pay a $99 exchange fee even though we are II members, and have a 120 day window. Don't know if they will extend it out but looking for opinions on if anyone considers the second potential option better because of the 120 day window even with the $99 fee and less time to use it. We have never dealt with this before so not sure what we can expect to find in a 60 day window (I'm guessing our home resort is off the table in either scenario but honestly have no idea). Lots of knowledgeable folks on here so what do you think, cancel now or wait?

Last edited:

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Long-time lurker here, finally created a log-in today. I've been following all the various threads pertaining to Marriott, Hawaii and the coronavirus over the past couple weeks plus checking the vacation club site for updates. My husband and I are MOC owners (EOYE) and booked our trip to go mid-May a year ago but it appears a pretty safe bet it won't be happening. We are platinum II members and have used them numerous times for getaways over the years but that has been our only dealing with them. We have always used our week at our home resort because we love Maui. We are in the 59 to 14 day window and we're trying to figure out the best course of action. Currently we'd have a late deposit into II good for 2 years from our check-out date with a 60 day window to look at. If MVC extends out the April 23rd date of reservations for our time-frame it appears we would have a week good only until 12-16-21, pay a $99 exchange fee even though we are II members, and have a 120 day window. Don't know if they will extend it out but looking for opinions on if anyone considers the second potential option better because of the 120 day window even with the $99 fee and less time to use it. We have never dealt with this before so not sure what we can expect to find in a 60 day window (I'm guessing our home resort is off the table in either scenario but honestly have no idea). Lots of knowledgeable folks on here so what do you think, cancel now or wait?

We had our home week booked in Hawaii at MKO arriving May 2nd and we did the flex deposit into II. I would be surprised if they suddenly offer a different option as many people will be upset that the rules suddenly changed midstream.

jbeachlvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
The Suites at Eastern Slope Inn
Vistana Flex

or

I completed the online form on MVC owner site 10 days ago. My check-in date was supposed to be today. Marriott Owner Services sent me an email on Saturday. (apologize if this is listed on thread elsewhere— I only read the last few posts)

Here’s what some of email says:

“ As a good will gesture, we would like to provide you an Interval International certificate valid until December 16, 2021 that allows you to check availability up to 120 days prior to your desired travel date. We have requested the certificate and it will be added to your Interval International account within 10 business days.

For additional information, or when you are ready to use the certificate please contact Marriott Owner Services directly by calling 800-845-4226. “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hulachic

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOC
We had our home week booked in Hawaii at MKO arriving May 2nd and we did the flex deposit into II. I would be surprised if they suddenly offer a different option as many people will be upset that the rules suddenly changed midstream.
If things continue on as they are or get worse MVC may extend out the timeframe they are automatically cancelling bookings (currently thru 4/23). We're just wondering if we should wait to see if that happens if there is more benefit to having a 120 day window but having to pay the $99 fee and having to use it by next December vs. what we would get right now which is 2 years to use it and a 60 day window. Obviously, we don't know if MVC will decide to cancel May bookings but just looking for opinions on which of the two situations is better. If what we would get now is better we want to do it before they decide to automatically cancel bookings into May and we are stuck with a worse option. Hopefully that makes sense.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I completed the online form on MVC owner site 10 days ago. My check-in date was supposed to be today. Marriott Owner Services sent me an email on Saturday. (apologize if this is listed on thread elsewhere— I only read the last few posts)

Here’s what some of email says:
“ As a good will gesture, we would like to provide you an Interval International certificate valid until December 16, 2021 that allows you to check availability up to 120 days prior to your desired travel date. We have requested the certificate and it will be added to your Interval International account within 10 business days.

For additional information, or when you are ready to use the certificate please contact Marriott Owner Services directly by calling 800-845-4226. “

Yesterday, I used MVC chat to cancel my two early April Hawaii deeded weeks reservations at around 10am EST. The chat agent was available within 1 min, which was surprising. It took them about 20 mins to complete the cancelation of both. Not bad. Service was good.

Beyond the chat transcript history, there is no real audit trail. I have not yet seen a cancel email, my MVC account doesn't show cancelation, and my II account doesn't show any certificate/deposit either. I assume all will happen in a few days?

Meanwhile, one of the resorts contacted me last night via email/phone to confirm my arrival. I would hope MVC chat cancelation would process in the system and then update the cancelation to the resorts. Appears to be delayed though. Gut says....regardless....result will be the same (MVC res cancel, II cert provided). Thoughts?

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
canceled my May reservation at MVC Ocean Pointe for May 22, 2020. Eplus would only permit a 59 day flexchange as I was within 60 days of my trip. I rescheduled for Marriott Canyon Villas for July, 19, 2020. I put in a request to a United to give me a refund for my trip to Florida.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did anyone have their owner destination club points reservation cancelled without any notice? My Mom contacted Desert Springs last week and was told they still had most amenities open. She was likely not going to risk travel but was waiting a few days longer. Today she looked on her online site and her reservation was no longer there? No warning. This was for next week. In looking at MVCI it now appears that resort isn’t accepting new guests? They may have people showing up expecting them to be open as online reps are still indicating US Resorts are open to owners and Interval? Just curious and surprised she got no notice whatsoever.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I used MVC chat to cancel my two early April Hawaii deeded weeks reservations at around 10am EST. The chat agent was available within 1 min, which was surprising. It took them about 20 mins to complete the cancelation of both. Not bad. Service was good.

Beyond the chat transcript history, there is no real audit trail. I have not yet seen a cancel email, my MVC account doesn't show cancelation, and my II account doesn't show any certificate/deposit either. I assume all will happen in a few days?

Meanwhile, one of the resorts contacted me last night via email/phone to confirm my arrival. I would hope MVC chat cancelation would process in the system and then update the cancelation to the resorts. Appears to be delayed though. Gut says....regardless....result will be the same (MVC res cancel, II cert provided). Thoughts?

I canceled a week back around March 19th and the certificate/deposit still hasn’t shown up. I assume they are way behind.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just as an FYI for anyone planning on still traveling for their owner's week. We were still back and forth on what to do with Mom's reservation and just happened to go online to Mom's account to find out her reservation at Desert Springs had been cancelled without any notification to her. In fact, she had checked in just last week. In live chat with MVCI they didn't know why it happened and said it was the resort that did it. Told me to call resort and find out. Front desk didn't know what happened either as they were still open for business for owners. She told me they were only cancelling if owner wanted to cancel. However, in checking with management the front desk then discovered that they were in fact cancelling but didn't know why we were not notified. They said corporate made the decision? Yet corporate said the resort made the decision. The upshot is there is a lot of miscommunication so I would double, triple check your reservation with the resort before you go - and ask for a manager to confirm because even the front desk doesn't have the most up to date information. Had we gone we may have been standing in the street with no place to stay after being forced to check out of the first two nights of San Diego vacation club (no extensions). I guess this made up our mind for sure - better safe than sorry.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Just as an FYI for anyone planning on still traveling for their owner's week. We were still back and forth on what to do with Mom's reservation and just happened to go online to Mom's account to find out her reservation at Desert Springs had been cancelled without any notification to her. In fact, she had checked in just last week. In live chat with MVCI they didn't know why it happened and said it was the resort that did it. Told me to call resort and find out. Front desk didn't know what happened either as they were still open for business for owners. She told me they were only cancelling if owner wanted to cancel. However, in checking with management the front desk then discovered that they were in fact cancelling but didn't know why we were not notified. They said corporate made the decision? Yet corporate said the resort made the decision. The upshot is there is a lot of miscommunication so I would double, triple check your reservation with the resort before you go - and ask for a manager to confirm because even the front desk doesn't have the most up to date information. Had we gone we may have been standing in the street with no place to stay after being forced to check out of the first two nights of San Diego vacation club (no extensions). I guess this made up our mind for sure - better safe than sorry.
Per https://hub.vacationclub.com/resort-updates/
Marriott’s Desert Springs Villas
Palm Desert, California, USA
Resort Status: Temporarily closed to new arrivals (tentatively reopening Friday, April 24th – subject to change).

For Official State and Local Information: https://covid19.ca.gov/ and https://www.cityofpalmdesert.org/our-city/coronavirus-covid-19.
Last modified: March 30, 2020

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has MVCI made a similar policy that Westgate announced yesterday. All Westgate reservations booked through June 26 can be cancelled and re-booked (for a later date in 2020) free of charge.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Has MVCI made a similar policy that Westgate announced yesterday. All Westgate reservations booked through June 26 can be cancelled and re-booked (for a later date in 2020) free of charge.
I am not aware of one. Kudos to Westgate. For once. The challenge though is a lot of people will be disappointed with inventory that is available since much of it is probably already booked. Those prime weeks aren't available anymore. So I suspect each companies policies have their pros and cons. Neither is ideal.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not that familiar with the functioning of Westgate but that option would be problematic for weeks owners with Marriott because of the season aspect of the ownership. I'm not sure legally they could cross over seasons with such a plan.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Also, for Westgate, this probably only applies to those that bought direct. Not for resale owners.

dickgregory

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili Villas 3 BR, Marriott Grande Vista 2 BR,
Veteran
Does anyone know the exact restrictions on the week deposited by Marriott to Interval International. MVCI website says if check-in is on or before May 14, 2020 they will provide an exchange week good until Dec. 14, 2021 that can be exchanged 120 days in advance. I am 31 days from check-in with a Hawaii week. Am I better to deposit it directly with Interval? Or should I accept the Marriott certificate? I want to use my exchange week to reserve future dates in Hawaii.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Does anyone know the exact restrictions on the week deposited by Marriott to Interval International. MVCI website says if check-in is on or before May 14, 2020 they will provide an exchange week good until Dec. 14, 2021 that can be exchanged 120 days in advance. I am 31 days from check-in with a Hawaii week. Am I better to deposit it directly with Interval? Or should I accept the Marriott certificate? I want to use my exchange week to reserve future dates in Hawaii.
I don't think you can deposit it directly with II since your checkin is before May 14th. Marriott will have to issue you a special exchange certificate. SO I think you have to call Marriott. I suspect it is doubtful it will be able to trade for Hawaii. It may have certain restrictions that exclude Hawaii. Someone with more knowledge of this specific certificate should be able to answer that.