• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MARRIOTT / CORONAVIRUS [MERGED]

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am currently staying at Canyon Villas. Pools are open but fitness centers here and at the JW have been closed since Saturday due to governor decree. They aren't accepting any new reservations of any type through April 25. I learned this when I inquired about extending my stay tomorrow night if my flight gets cancelled. They aren't even accepting VC points reservations to extend stay a night or two. Hopefully, my SW flight back tomorrow won't be cancelled. Delta and American have already cancelled my flights.

Good luck with your flight!
Do you feel what you were told about reservations there is consistent with what is posted on MVC-
“Open only for Owner and Interval International arrivals from Wednesday, March 25, 2020 through Thursday, April 23, 2020 (subject to change). Limited amenities and services currently in place.”

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your flight!
Do you feel what you were told about reservations there is consistent with what is posted on MVC-
“Open only for Owner and Interval International arrivals from Wednesday, March 25, 2020 through Thursday, April 23, 2020 (subject to change). Limited amenities and services currently in place.”
Not really. I am an owner using VC points and arrived on 3/21. I asked about extending a day or 2 using more VC points and was denied. They are not allowing any new reservations of any kind. I also checked the website and there was no availability for points.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not really. I am an owner using VC points and arrived on 3/21. I asked about extending a day or 2 using more VC points and was denied. They are not allowing any new reservations of any kind. I also checked the website and there was no availability for points.
Thanks for the reply. I wonder why- maybe mvc is slow to update or individual resorts just do their own thing.
Safe travels!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for the reply. I wonder why- maybe mvc is slow to update or individual resorts just do their own thing.
Safe travels!
It seems that if you already have an existing DC, week or II reservation, it will be honored and the resort is open to those arriving guests. Just no new reservations. All II inventory has been pulled for Marriott properties through 4/23.

Wei339

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko olina
I was wondering if it is possible to simply cancel my MVC owner's reservation via my Marriott Rewards account or does it have to be done with the form that was sent out to me via email by MVC. I'm presuming that it is probably too difficult to cancel by phone. As well, does anyone know how long it takes before my week is returned to my MVC account if I go via the form method. Thanks

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Hi all, I haven’t read all the 500+ posts in this topic so if this info is already posted, my apologies. I cancelled my owners week for Grande Ocean in HH for wrk starting April 12, 2020 via the online email form on Monday 3/23 and received this response last night (Friday 3/27):

Dear Brian

Thank you for contacting Marriott Vacation Club regarding your 2020 usage at Marriott's Grande Ocean, deeded week.

We received your request to cancel your 2020 reservation for check-in on (Date); your cancellation request is for a reservation which is within 16 of days from the reservation check-in date and cannot be cancelled. As a good will gesture, we would like to provide you an Interval International certificate valid until December 16, 2021 that allows you to check availability up to 120 days prior to your desired travel date. We have requested the certificate and it will be added to your Interval International account within 10 business days.

For additional information, or when you are ready to use the certificate please contact Marriott Owner Services directly by calling 800-845-4226. They are available to assist you Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Time (ET). Unfortunately, we are unable to assist with this issue via e-mail.

We appreciate your understanding in regards to this matter. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us via the e-mail address listed below or via our website at www.marriottvacationclub.com.
Best Regards,

Now from what I had been hearing/ reading here I was surprised that this certificate has 120 day prior booking term (I thought it would be 60 days prior) and is good until Dec 2021 (I thought it was to be used by Dec 17, 2020).
I guess it remains to be seen when the actual certificate shows up in my II account what other restrictions there might be. Has anyone already received the II Certificate yet and are there restrictions on where and dates it can be used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I haven’t read all the 500+ posts in this topic so if this info is already posted, my apologies. I cancelled my owners week for Grande Ocean in HH for wrk starting April 12, 2020 via the online email form on Monday 3/23 and received this response last night (Friday 3/27):

Dear Brian

Thank you for contacting Marriott Vacation Club regarding your 2020 usage at Marriott's Grande Ocean, deeded week.

We received your request to cancel your 2020 reservation for check-in on (Date); your cancellation request is for a reservation which is within 16 of days from the reservation check-in date and cannot be cancelled. As a good will gesture, we would like to provide you an Interval International certificate valid until December 16, 2021 that allows you to check availability up to 120 days prior to your desired travel date. We have requested the certificate and it will be added to your Interval International account within 10 business days.

For additional information, or when you are ready to use the certificate please contact Marriott Owner Services directly by calling 800-845-4226. They are available to assist you Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Time (ET). Unfortunately, we are unable to assist with this issue via e-mail.

We appreciate your understanding in regards to this matter. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us via the e-mail address listed below or via our website at www.marriottvacationclub.com.
Best Regards,

Now from what I had been hearing/ reading here I was surprised that this certificate has 120 day prior booking term (I thought it would be 60 days prior) and is good until Dec 2021 (I thought it was to be used by Dec 17, 2020).
I guess it remains to be seen when the actual certificate shows up in my II account what other restrictions there might be. Has anyone already received the II Certificate yet and are there restrictions on where and dates it can be used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hopefully they didn't get confused with the holding account rules for the current cancelation but I suspect they did and you'll be more restricted than 120 days in advance. I suspect it'll end up being 30 days with the II certificate but let us know when it shows up in your II account.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it is possible to simply cancel my MVC owner's reservation via my Marriott Rewards account or does it have to be done with the form that was sent out to me via email by MVC. I'm presuming that it is probably too difficult to cancel by phone. As well, does anyone know how long it takes before my week is returned to my MVC account if I go via the form method. Thanks

Try the chat feature on the MVC site.
I have used it twice recently with little wait- once to cancel a points resy.
The new covid-19 cancellation policy is posted on MVC.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

If your usage is before 4/23/20 this is what the covid-19 cancellation policy posted on mvc says.

Cancelling a Reservation Made with Ownership Weeks, with Arrival Dates Through April 23, 2020:
  • Receive an Interval International week that will be deposited into your Interval International account within the next 10 days for future use. The Interval International week will have a reduced exchange rate of $99 and will expire on December 16, 2021. You will be able to check availability up to 120 days prior to your desired travel date.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems that if you already have an existing DC, week or II reservation, it will be honored and the resort is open to those arriving guests. Just no new reservations. All II inventory has been pulled for Marriott properties through 4/23.
Thanks! I didn’t think of it that way but of course that makes sense.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
Do it thru the Marriot Owners site...use the chat feature in the lower right hand corner..I used it twice in the last week and only had a 5 minute wait each time

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
If your usage is before 4/23/20 this is what the covid-19 cancellation policy posted on mvc says.

Cancelling a Reservation Made with Ownership Weeks, with Arrival Dates Through April 23, 2020:
  • Receive an Interval International week that will be deposited into your Interval International account within the next 10 days for future use. The Interval International week will have a reduced exchange rate of $99 and will expire on December 16, 2021. You will be able to check availability up to 120 days prior to your desired travel date.
The updated policy above is at least a little better than original for those with travel cancelled in the next couple weeks . 120 days and through Dec 2021. Not sure why the aren’t waving the exchange fee also for Marriott to Marriott.

grupp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does not really do any thing for you if you don’t have an Interval account associated with that week.

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do appreciate that you are standing up for your position. I would agree your best bet is to sell your ownership given your intense dislike. I disagree with what you are saying, however, you are most certainly entitled to your position or feelings. I do hope your husband can get back to work, there are a few (but not a ton of course) people hiring in various parts of the country, perhaps not as good jobs though. It is indeed a stressful time for the vast majority of people. I see my neighbor taking steps to cut back, I am sure that's not unusual at this point. I do wish you well!

Thank you, I wish you and yours well too.
Unfortunately looking for a job and going out into the world here in NY right now is truly equivalent to risking your health, if not your life, with us being the epicenter of the virus . Our thoughts and prayers are with every single person on the planet, most especially our health care workers, first responders and grocery store workers. They are truly on the front lines risking their own well being as well as the families they live with.

I, for one, vented, and then stopped thinking about Marriott, it's poor handling of their members, and even the lack of income. My concerns are (and have always been as previously stated) the health of my family, my over 60 husband (who has asthma), and the rest of the world. Most especially those who are losing their lives and their loved ones to this pandemic.

I pray every night that the other states of our great country DO NOT find themselves in the same situation as NY.
That said, getting out of a timeshare I tried and found out how much I dislike is nothing in comparison to what's going on in the world and our anxieties about it.

Stay home, stop the spread, save lives.

Wishing all of you health and safety.

Dee

ruhskis9713

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're supposed to go to PHX end of April and have the Travelex policy. I'll wait a few weeks to see what's happening with travel bans - we've had school closings here in Chicago, and the U of Chicago is limiting gatherings to 25 (which cancels a bunch of cultural and sports events), Harvard is going to online-only classes after Spring Break, and conferences are being cancelled right and left, so other limitations are within the realm of possibility. I think an all-out travel lockdown is unlikely (for political reasons if nothing else, but I'll probably check with the insurance company closer to our scheduled date and consider the option of a health-related claim because my husband's health puts him in the high-risk category. I don't think rescheduling voluntarily now is a good play - too many people will be trying that and competition later within the 60 day limit will be intense.

ruhskis9713

TUG Member
Reaction score
A word of warning to those who have purchased Travelex Insurance through Marriott Vacation Club:

We had travel insurance that we purchased on March 12 because we had reservations at MVC Shadow Ridge beginning March 19 and at Kauai Beach Club. On March 17 I had a CT scan that was a follow up to an earlier Feb Xray which was clear. The CT scan showed "cracked glass shadows" on my lungs that were indicative of pneumonia not detected by the earlier X-ray My treating physician wrote a letter describing my condition and stating that I should not travel and must quarantine to avoid being exposed to the COVID virus. I submitted my claim to Travelex immediately and was told that it wouldn't be processed for 4-6 weeks. I was also informed that IN ORDER TO FILE A CLAIM, WE COULD NOT CANCEL OUR RESERVATIONS. This put us in a Catch-22 position. If we kept the reservations, we would forfeit our points (over 6000 in total) and IF OUR CLAIM WAS APPROVED, we would get back the amount of the maintenance fees represented by our points. If we cancelled the reservations, we would get the points placed in a holding account but they must be used before the end of 2020 and could be booked more than 120 days out. This is probably a better vallue than a monetary settlement, but there is no certainty that our claim would be approved, even though the pneumonia was not detected until AFTER we purchased the insurance. IT IS RIDICULOUS AND UNFAIR FOR MARRIOTT TO PUT IT'S LOYAL OWNERS IN THIS POSITION. I see no reason that we should be prohibited from cancelling our reservations and waiting until the claim is resolved in our favor to take the points away from us. In no event shoud we have been entitled to BOTH a monetary settlement AND the retention our our points, but there is no reason this can't be resolved AFTER the insurance claim is either approved or denied.

Just a warning to those who purchase travel insurance from Marriott. You might find yourself in the same bind. We certainly will never buy insurance through Marriott after this unpleasant experience.

I would love to know if other Marriott owners were placed in this same position.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
^^^ If you do cancel, your holding account points would actually now not expire until 12/31/21 due to an updated Covid-19 policy change recently.

Last edited:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
A word of warning to those who have purchased Travelex Insurance through Marriott Vacation Club:

We had travel insurance that we purchased on March 12 because we had reservations at MVC Shadow Ridge beginning March 19 and at Kauai Beach Club. On March 17 I had a CT scan that was a follow up to an earlier Feb Xray which was clear. The CT scan showed "cracked glass shadows" on my lungs that were indicative of pneumonia not detected by the earlier X-ray My treating physician wrote a letter describing my condition and stating that I should not travel and must quarantine to avoid being exposed to the COVID virus. I submitted my claim to Travelex immediately and was told that it wouldn't be processed for 4-6 weeks. I was also informed that IN ORDER TO FILE A CLAIM, WE COULD NOT CANCEL OUR RESERVATIONS. This put us in a Catch-22 position. If we kept the reservations, we would forfeit our points (over 6000 in total) and IF OUR CLAIM WAS APPROVED, we would get back the amount of the maintenance fees represented by our points. If we cancelled the reservations, we would get the points placed in a holding account but they must be used before the end of 2020 and could be booked more than 120 days out. This is probably a better vallue than a monetary settlement, but there is no certainty that our claim would be approved, even though the pneumonia was not detected until AFTER we purchased the insurance. IT IS RIDICULOUS AND UNFAIR FOR MARRIOTT TO PUT IT'S LOYAL OWNERS IN THIS POSITION. I see no reason that we should be prohibited from cancelling our reservations and waiting until the claim is resolved in our favor to take the points away from us. In no event shoud we have been entitled to BOTH a monetary settlement AND the retention our our points, but there is no reason this can't be resolved AFTER the insurance claim is either approved or denied.

Just a warning to those who purchase travel insurance from Marriott. You might find yourself in the same bind. We certainly will never buy insurance through Marriott after this unpleasant experience.

I would love to know if other Marriott owners were placed in this same position.

I would definitely cancel the reservation and receive the points back in the holding account (with the 120 day reservation window and expiration on 12/31/21). As far as not being able to cancel the reservation before having your claim adjudicated, that may be a Travelex requirement (not Marriott). As an insurance company, I would not be willing to pay a claim to someone who had already cancelled the reservation (that was the basis for their claim) and been compensated by the entity behind the reservation (in this case Marriott - by restoring your points to you even with the restrictions imposed). If I were to pay that claim, the insured would have effectively 'double-claimed' by getting both the reservation points back as well as MF reimbursement for the points that were supposedly 'lost' but really weren't because you got them back in your account when you cancelled the reservation. I don't see this requirement of either/or as being unfair. You have a choice, but there is a risk to depending on the insurance to pay off. If it doesn't, you're out the MFs and the points. I would take the 'bird in the hand' that guarantees I don't lose any points.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Does not really do any thing for you if you don’t have an Interval account associated with that week.

I had to pay $99 to re-activate my prior personal II account...and add the resorts at the same time (no cost).

If you don't have a personal II account, you would need to pay to create one and then add your resorts. Takes a few days as Marriott has to confirm the resort ownership.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
On Thursday last I cancelled a three week vacation. It was 3 weeks at a home resort using my weeks. The agent was very helpful and efficient. I was well within the 61 day cancellation deadline. The cancellation emails arrived almost immediately. The reservations show up as cancelled on my Bonvoy account. However in my MVC account the reservations are still booked.

How long do I need to wait to see these weeks return to my account so I can look at rebooking?

I guess I may need to call again on Monday.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
On Thursday last I cancelled a three week vacation. It was 3 weeks at a home resort using my weeks. The agent was very helpful and efficient. I was well within the 61 day cancellation deadline. The cancellation emails arrived almost immediately. The reservations show up as cancelled on my Bonvoy account. However in my MVC account the reservations are still booked.

How long do I need to wait to see these weeks return to my account so I can look at rebooking?

I guess I may need to call again on Monday.
They allowed you to cancel the weeks bookings inside of 60 days to be able to book again. They didn't force the special II certificates on you?

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe

I also wonder about cancelling the reservation via Marriott.com. Does that eventually downstream link into the MVC system?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
They allowed you to cancel the weeks bookings inside of 60 days to be able to book again. They didn't force the special II certificates on you?
No, both Malcolm and I cancelled our bookings before the 60 day deadline
I am sure that when he said “well within” this meant “well before”, as we both cancelled June/July bookings.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I also wonder about cancelling the reservation via Marriott.com. Does that eventually downstream link into the MVC system?
Last time I tried, after you hit cancel, it just tells you you have to call MVC to do so.