• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MARRIOTT / CORONAVIRUS [MERGED]

gcoleman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott Boston Customs House
Aloha, all,

I have 4 weeks reserved for Marriott Ko Olina Resort in April/May, and am thinking about what I should do about the corona virus problem. Perhaps some of you can comment on my thoughts?

I called Marriott and asked about options, and the person I spoke to (who didn't sound very knowledgeable) told me that cancellation of owner weeks is a loss for me, and that is why I was supposed to buy vacation insurance. I had bought the insurance. So I should just call the insurance company, file a claim and get my Maintenance fees back?

Is that true? Is there no way to reschedule the date on my reservation to another time, say in September, if the weeks are available? Even if there is a change fee? I have a call-back request into Marriott right now, and I'm waiting to hear from someone there who can help me with the answer to this question, but I'm wondering if any of you have encountered this before?

Otherwise, would I deposit the weeks into Interval and hope I could exchange into something later? I think I have heard that exchanging back into a Marriott property, especially your home property, through Interval, is not available...True?

Also, if I deposit into Interval at this late date, (Late Deposit) would I only be eligible for last minute exchanges?

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

Mahalo

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Your risk tolerance, of course, but I'd be tempted to just go.

I assume you own weeks at Ko Olina and this isn't a Point reservation.

I doubt the insurance will apply, as I don't think it's 'cancel for any reason'

You should be able to try for another reservation within your season.

Interval is last resort, and since you're likely inside 60-days, you're looking at manual searches to find your weeks going forward. I do believe you still have two years from the date of the reservation to use each week. If you go that route, you really need to determine if you want to lock-off the weeks before depositing as they do have a lot of trade power, I suppose even inside 60 days.

You could also try and rent them, but probably a tight market due to the concerns you have...but is an option. Look on Redweek.com and VacationCandy.com for comparable weeks.

Hope that helps, until some more specific guidance gets posted.

NascarGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Waikoloa King's Land, HGVC - Bay Club, DRI - Sunrise Ridge
I was just there last week. I spent a week on Oahu (2/24-3/1) and a week on the Big Island(3/1-3/8). The first week was ridiculously crowded due to the influx of tourists from the Asia islands and vicinity, i.e. Japan,Philippines, etc. My second week there is when Hawaiian and Delta had started their self imposed travel ban, stopping all incoming flights and it was GREAT. No traffic, no lines. On Oahu we stayed at Ko Olina, Big Island the Ocean Tower.

If i could do it again now I would do again. People over there were not like here on the mainland, hoarding supplies and water. All was just another day. Take the trip, take the standard precautions, maybe bring or buy some lysol wipes for your room, some hand sanitizer.

Definitely take the trip. The decrease in non-US tourists will make it so worth it!!!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depending on your insurance, it may or may not be covered based on cancelling due to fear since that's your choice. My sister had a policy that was for any reason, but it of course cost her more but she is going (subject to change based on conditions at the time). I am going to Hawaii end of month myself, but it's risk tolerance indeed. The risk at this point remains very low. Subject to change daily of course.

Here's another Marriott thread where this was discussed recently:

I did find this discussion from Marriott:

http://pages.email1.marriott-vacati...ticle=ask-the-expert&campaign=2014-jun&state=

It says "However, you may not cancel home resort reservations within 60 days of arrival". So, not sure what inventive options people might come up with, but, sounds correct based on that.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I live here and I would just go, as long as you are healthy and not in that high risk group.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
The Travelex policy that MVC advertises covers quarantine (but policy coverage differs by state where purchased - we live in California).
Certainly if you or a traveling companion (or a non-traveling family member) contracts Covid-19 and is restricted from travel, you are covered as well.
You are covered even if you get laid off involuntarily during this mess.
At this moment in time, I don't think you have a claim with the insurance.
You aren't prevented from traveling.

Using China/Italy as a gauge, the US may very well be in a lockdown situation by late April.

One thing to consider if you do decide to travel - If there is no travel ban, but people are self-quarantining, consider how difficult it may be to stock up on supplies. You would be heading to an island where basic items may be unavailable. Restaurants may be closed. And you would be flying in with nothing. If a travel ban were to occur while you are there, you may be stuck in paradise, but could you afford to stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks?

For late deposits, I think you are restricted to flex searches.

If it was me, I would plan to file an insurance claim.
Actually, it is me also, as we are scheduled to travel to Waiohai in June/July, and also bought the insurance. Hoping things will be ramping down within 90 days, but something tells me it may still be in full swing.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
To answer the II trade question.

II gives you a PRIORITY to trade back into your own MVC resort. In your case, unfortunately, you are restricted to 59 day search.

Billikan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Branson Meadows
Wyndham Kingsgate
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Westin Flex
Westin Aventuras
I leave for Kauai on Saturday. I’ll let you know how it is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I leave for Kauai on Saturday. I’ll let you know how it is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just arrived on Kauai for work, nothing different. But of course, things change.

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Travelex policy that MVC advertises covers quarantine (but policy coverage differs by state where purchased - we live in California).
Certainly if you or a traveling companion (or a non-traveling family member) contracts Covid-19 and is restricted from travel, you are covered as well.
You are covered even if you get laid off involuntarily during this mess.
At this moment in time, I don't think you have a claim with the insurance.
You aren't prevented from traveling.

Using China/Italy as a gauge, the US may very well be in a lockdown situation by late April.

One thing to consider if you do decide to travel - If there is no travel ban, but people are self-quarantining, consider how difficult it may be to stock up on supplies. You would be heading to an island where basic items may be unavailable. Restaurants may be closed. And you would be flying in with nothing. If a travel ban were to occur while you are there, you may be stuck in paradise, but could you afford to stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks?

For late deposits, I think you are restricted to flex searches.

If it was me, I would plan to file an insurance claim.
Actually, it is me also, as we are scheduled to travel to Waiohai in June/July, and also bought the insurance. Hoping things will be ramping down within 90 days, but something tells me it may still be in full swing.
We're supposed to go to PHX end of April and have the Travelex policy. I'll wait a few weeks to see what's happening with travel bans - we've had school closings here in Chicago, and the U of Chicago is limiting gatherings to 25 (which cancels a bunch of cultural and sports events), Harvard is going to online-only classes after Spring Break, and conferences are being cancelled right and left, so other limitations are within the realm of possibility. I think an all-out travel lockdown is unlikely (for political reasons if nothing else, but I'll probably check with the insurance company closer to our scheduled date and consider the option of a health-related claim because my husband's health puts him in the high-risk category. I don't think rescheduling voluntarily now is a good play - too many people will be trying that and competition later within the 60 day limit will be intense.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
You are not the only one. We are also on the crossroad deciding to keep our 3 weeks Hawaii vacation in June/July for Hilton Kings' Land, Westin Nanea and Marriott's Ko Olina. Most likely we will cancel if this virus thing doesn't get better. Instead we will just do 1-2 weeks road trip to Palm Spring or Phoenix where the temperature is over 100-110.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
We are definitely going to Hawaii with kids for the spring break! We will probably add some unplanned vacations as well. $99 fares to Hawaii, $149 to STT, are you kidding me? Of course we are going. When others are panicking, it's a good time to take advantage of unbelievable deals.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We are definitely going to Hawaii with kids for the spring break! We will probably add some unplanned vacations as well. $99 fares to Hawaii, $149 to STT, are you kidding me? Of course we are going. When others are panicking, it's a good time to take advantage of unbelievable deals.
I agree! Hawaii is not a vacation I would ever cancel. We spend a lot of time in closed quarters, basically on the lanai or in our unit, in the rental car (which can be wiped down with a clorox wipe or two inside), and we go to Costco for supplies. We don't eat out much. We go to Kauai for two weeks in June. Looking forward to it. Rest and relaxation is what is in store for us on Kauai.

We also go to Orlando in May. Our cruise out of Rome, I doubt we will be doing that in six weeks.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Y'll go and have fun.

CaliSunshine

Reaction score

Our afterschool program told us that any kids who have been on a plane won't be allowed to go for 2 weeks after coming back. :-(

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Our afterschool program told us that any kids who have been on a plane won't be allowed to go for 2 weeks after coming back. :-(
That is some major paranoia going on.

I am not inclined to be worried about going to Hawaii on a plane. But I heard Dr. Oz talking about this on the news yesterday, and he said airplane air is fresh air and not bad at all to breathe, and airplanes are doing better cleanings (plus you can wipe down your own tray table and area around you). I believe Dr. Oz. I am not a person who takes any kind of medication, so I am not really worried about catching this virus. I think by June, it will be a memory. Now my 92-year-old mother-in-law? She should maybe not go, but nothing is stopping her from her painting class (today), her hair appointments every Friday, her nail appointments every Thursday, and her socializing with her friends at the Elks club in Arvada, CO.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Airplane air is definitely pretty safe. As long as you don't sit next to someone who has it and is coughing on your I suppose.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to Hawaii at the end of June and the first week in July. This will be our first trip to Hawaii and we are praying that this Coronavirus will be under control by the summer.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I agree! Hawaii is not a vacation I would ever cancel. We spend a lot of time in closed quarters, basically on the lanai or in our unit, in the rental car (which can be wiped down with a clorox wipe or two inside), and we go to Costco for supplies. We don't eat out much. We go to Kauai for two weeks in June. Looking forward to it. Rest and relaxation is what is in store for us on Kauai.

We also go to Orlando in May. Our cruise out of Rome, I doubt we will be doing that in six weeks.

We are headed to Kona in late May / early June and we are still going as well. The closest we will get to crowds of any size will be during activities but even then, we are talking about numbers in the tens or twenties.

I am surprised some of the activity prices I am tracking are not dropping a bit from all of this but maybe Hawaii activity demand is fairly constant through all of this.

As Rick and Cindy note, we don't plan to many things where we will be around large numbers of people. My concern at this point is negligible.
But vigilance is always prudent...

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just flew from Oahu to Kauai today on Hawaiian for work and I noticed the smell of cleaning products on the plane so I really think they are taking more time and doing a more thorough cleaning. I don’t remember ever smelling it that clean on a plane before.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Last week Cliff let Worldmark talk him into a "party" week in Indio from April 6-9, which meant cancelling Palm Springs for the same time because we always go to PS for his early April birthday. For $99 we got three nights, steak dinner at Morton's and a magic show (as well as a two hour timeshare presentation). I was against it, but he went ahead and booked it. Now he tells me no way he's getting on a bus and sitting in a theater. So now I'm waitlisted for PS. I fully expect to get a call cancelling the whole outing because they cancelled a tennis tournament in the area yesterday and it sounds like they are on the verge of cancelling Coachella anyway, so hopefully something will open up for us in Palm Springs when folks get their points back.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are headed to Oahu from LA flying American Airlines.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked seating on the 4 flights we have to and from Kauai later this month, and, they are pretty much full. If there are cancellations, then there are people replacing them as there are only a couple of seats vacant.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have one problem with cruise ships and the Coronavirus. There are three (3) cruise ships sailings that have confirm Coronavirus on aboard. They are all
Princess Cruise ships. Why?

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
So far so good been in Hawaii (Maui 2 weeks and now Kauai for 1 week).

Very nice here.