• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGV Max - Diamond Integration Discussion in Owner Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
Same here. I wonder how this will work. And I'm afraid only "new" deeds will be HGV Max eligible. That is - existing ClubPoints from "old" deeds can only book you into "old" HGVC properties, while MaxPoints from "new" deeds can book you to both "old" HGVC and "new" DRI properties.

I have very little doubt that this is a place where HGVC will finally make the distinction between Developer and Resale that most (all?) other TS conglomerates have imposed. It really does seem a natural (and easy) distinction.

Cheers.

GMan82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
West 57th by Hilton Club
I have very little doubt that this is a place where HGVC will finally make the distinction between Developer and Resale that most (all?) other TS conglomerates have imposed. It really does seem a natural (and easy) distinction.

Cheers.
I’m just hoping that if that happens that they honor the developer deeds some of us have from prior to this merger. Otherwise, it would be a slap in the face to those of us that did (mistakenly) buy direct our first time. The two salespeople I’ve sat with so far both have indicated a buy-in for all prior owners into HGV Max. In salesperson parlance, only deeds purchased now will come with the Max option.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I’m just hoping that if that happens that they honor the developer deeds some of us have from prior to this merger. Otherwise, it would be a slap in the face to those of us that did (mistakenly) buy direct our first time. The two salespeople I’ve sat with so far both have indicated a buy-in for all prior owners into HGV Max. In salesperson parlance, only deeds purchased now will come with the Max option.

I can’t imagine a salesman saying no, you need to wait and purchase a membership after April1st. It will be better for you.

I know things can change, but Mark Wang has said in investor calls that members will be able to purchase as a stand alone.

Could there have to be a developer purchase needed? Sure, but the precedent isn’t there. Would they turn down money from a resale owner? Could be, but how will they determine who is eligible? Would any developer purchase work, even if it was a decade ago and you have bought resale since? Not so sure.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I can’t imagine a salesman saying no, you need to wait and purchase a membership after April1st. It will be better for you.

I know things can change, but Mark Wang has said in investor calls that members will be able to purchase as a stand alone.

Could there have to be a developer purchase needed? Sure, but the precedent isn’t there. Would they turn down money from a resale owner? Could be, but how will they determine who is eligible? Would any developer purchase work, even if it was a decade ago and you have bought resale since? Not so sure.

Their sales systems know which purchases are developer and which are resale. All the other developers take this into account. it is only fair to give a deeper discount (or free) to such purchases to participate.

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and HGVC Paradise
Their sales systems know which purchases are developer and which are resale. All the other developers take this into account. it is only fair to give a deeper discount (or free) to such purchases to participate.
I am not so sure about that.....we have been with HGVC for over 25 years and every time we go to a sales presentation they do not know we are all resale until we tell them. Even the deed shows what the property was originally purchased for not what we paid for them. I am sure they would have an incredible mess on their hands trying to sort all of that out.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not so sure about that.....we have been with HGVC for over 25 years and every time we go to a sales presentation they do not know we are all resale until we tell them. Even the deed shows what the property was originally purchased for not what we paid for them. I am sure they would have an incredible mess on their hands trying to sort all of that out.

They do know that we're resale (they say so). I also think that they may not know what we paid, just the initial price. But they definitely have access to info about our being resale.

Cheers.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same here. I wonder how this will work. And I'm afraid only "new" deeds will be HGV Max eligible. That is - existing ClubPoints from "old" deeds can only book you into "old" HGVC properties, while MaxPoints from "new" deeds can book you to both "old" HGVC and "new" DRI properties. Which will make the whole sales pitch true on paper (need deed gets you access to new inventory!!!) but false in its spirit (you now acquired 1,600 old / 2,560 new points Elara deed with *bleep* MF-per-point for $15k, and you can't even get a week in 2 BR with that because you only have 1,600/2,560 MaxPoints? welp!). If that turns out to be true, I can't imagine how mad folks who purchased "new" deeds will be. And hopefully there is a one-time fee to enroll an "old" deed in new points. If the price is reasonable, I would consider enrolling a deed or two in Max. Just enough to get access to one or two week at DRI resorts per year.

Honestly I don't care if my "old" deed don't give me access to DRI. I bought HGV for HGV not for anything else. However it would be nice to have access to other properties, but if I don't it won't trigger my FOMO. Maybe I'm being naive but as long as the Max club don't cause extra fees to non Max members they can keep it.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Honestly I don't care if my "old" deed don't give me access to DRI. I bought HGV for HGV not for anything else. However it would be nice to have access to other properties, but if I don't it won't trigger my FOMO. Maybe I'm being naive but as long as the Max club don't cause extra fees to non Max members they can keep it.

This is exactly how I feel.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Honestly I don't care if my "old" deed don't give me access to DRI. I bought HGV for HGV not for anything else...

I concur... or as Dayooper said, "Eggsactly."

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'll third @Cyberc's comments. It would be nice, but I'm not gonna go out of my way. What it really did was have me learn some about DRI and some locations we might like. So, may buy them resale after things shake out and just keep it separate.

Cheers.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Why should the other systems have an effect on what HGVC does? Each system is different and the majority have of them turned to a trust. HGVC isn’t a trust and it’s balance of low cost MF’s to high level of accommodations might be thrown out of whack if you start to limiting owners. Sure HGVC could restrict membership into HGV Max to developer bought deeds, but how far do they go down in restricting? Does someone who bought a deed from HGVC but sold it to buy better ones resale count? Does someone who only bought a small deed a decade ago get to join? I see a litany of issues with HGVC if they start to make those delineations.

There are some resorts that do know retail and some that don’t. This past summer, I had the Elara sales manager call me before our stay and ask if we were resale. The only reason he questioned that was he saw I had not used my membership from when I bought the deed in 1994 until we took our first trip in 2019 (our first year of usage). The concierge at Elara asked my why I hadn’t been to an owners update since 1994 (when the original owner bought the deed). I was a college student in 1994 and in no position to drop $12K on a weeks worth of vacation. Neither knew for sure I was resale (the Elara sales manager suspected it). Since I wasn’t hounded to go to a sales presentation at our other trips (Myrtle Beach, Hilton ahead and Chicago), I don’t know what they saw. Elara sure didn’t know. Maybe since they aren’t actively selling The Flamingo anymore, they don‘t mark those as resale?

Quite frankly, like @Cyberc says above, as long as it doesn‘t affect my ability to use the system like I do now, they can restrict all they want. I didn’t buy DRI for a reason. If they do change the system to where you have join HGV Max to keep booking the resorts you want, then they will have a huge amount of unhappy customers, many of whom may default when they can’t sell. Guess who takes the brunt of that? We owners in increased MF’s.

Finally, I wish people would just stop going to owners updates for HGV Max info. The only thing the salesman are doing is creating uncertainty and stress. The HGVC Facebook groups are nearly unreadable with all of the complaining, anger and threats of class action lawsuits. These salesman (and HGVC in general) love the turmoil. With all of the different outrageous minimum prices of deeds to join, they are causing confusion, anxiety and stress (gaslighting in a way). Owners don’t know what to believe. When they come out with the program and if the cost is not nearly as bad as what was been said, people will line up to purchase even if the cost is still too high. It will seem lower and many will think it’s a steal.

Last edited:

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Quite frankly, like @Cyberc says above, as long as it doesn‘t affect my ability to use the system like I do now, they can restrict all they want.
Agree wholeheartedly with this...especially considering I used DeX to exchange into The Grand Islander just yesterday.
The HGVC Facebook groups are nearly unreadable with all of the complaining, anger and threats of class action lawsuits.
Yes, almost makes me wish I didn't join some of them after HGVC acquired DRI. I responded to a few of them telling them to wait until program details are released. However, there are so many of those posts, you could spend the entire day responding to them.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Joking aside, right now hotel price inflation is going through the roof. MFs should be limited to the rising costs of expenses

So buying the right timeshare should save you money in the long run
At resale prices, yes. Not at developer prices.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, almost makes me wish I didn't join some of them after HGVC acquired DRI. I responded to a few of them telling them to wait until program details are released. However, there are so many of those posts, you could spend the entire day responding to them.

One of the largest (the largest I believe) had the administrator mentioning they were going to ban talk of HGV Max until official news came out and that group is still very much so readable. The resale board isn't bad either, but the others I don't read anymore.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
Neither knew for sure I was resale (the Elara sales manager suspected it). Since I wasn’t hounded to go to a sales presentation at our other trips (Myrtle Beach, Hilton ahead and Chicago), I don’t know what they saw. Elara sure didn’t know.

I think their "main" printout is a statement of account, but doesn't indicate whether it's resale or not. At my yesterday's owner's update at Parc Soleil, their printout didn't have that information, and I they filled in the blanks by asking. (eg. how long you've been an owner, from which they can tell if a deed is resale or not)

However, Hawaii salespeople do know because it seems they have a process in place to identify guests that are eligible for owner's update before you arrive. What concierge sees is eligible / not eligible based on a precomputed list of guests (no active way to query your current status). They don't know more, but they did contact their upper managers from Oahu (where the head office for sales is) and they provided a very precise answer as to why I'm not eligible, and when I will be eligible (90 day after the acquisition date of my HGVC UK purchase). So - there's someone with a brain in Hawaiian head office that looks through information that is normally not available to line salespeople. (see my report: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/h...like-in-the-online-portal.335061/post-2747430)

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with @dougp26364. I just read on one of the FB groups that the minimum purchase/upgrade is 4K HGV pts to be part of this new HGV Max program. So that is ~ $28K minimum.

I will be at Sunrise Lodge in less than 3 weeks. I will see what I can find out from an owner's update (as long as they offer $250 MF credit).

So do we know yet if any resales purchase of HGV/DRI (after the Jan 14, 2022) program would be eligible to join HGV Max? If so, would seem 4k could be had for $1000 easily for HGV. Dunno about DRI.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So do we know yet if any resales purchase of HGV/DRI (after the Jan 14, 2022) program would be eligible to join HGV Max? If so, would seem 4k could be had for $1000 easily for HGV. Dunno about DRI.

No one outside of corporate know what HGV Max is and who will be able to join. The only thing we do know is that anybody who bought from HGVC starting on Jan 14 will be able to enroll into HGV Max with no extra cost. Everything else is conjecture and speculation. Hopefully we will know in a few weeks.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
The only thing we do know is that anybody who bought from HGVC starting on Jan 14 will be able to enroll into HGV Max with no extra cost.
It's amazing how many companies reward new customers/members/owners while excluding long-time, loyal customers/members/owners. I get it that long-time owners can buy another unit, but that shouldn't required if new owners are grandfathered; then again, it's a new program with new rules. I think AT&T finally understood deals like these were not good for existing customers; as now most, if not all, deals apply to new and existing customers...at least I think it's AT&T. It'll definitely be interesting when HGVC releases the details. As you stated, we don't know anything outside of the Jan 14 enrollment so I'm not implying anything with regard to HGV Max future membership.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I have some interest in the new added resorts, but would not buy into anything until the details of ownership and access are public. As for buying after the program is officially launched, it will depend on what locations are available and the costs. But to be honest most of my vacation destinations are well covered with my HGV and MVC ownerships.

I am probably more likely to buy into the new program if i can add the access the information and enrollment via the website. It will need to be very compelling to for me to attend a presentation and buy an additional deed.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
So do we know yet if any resales purchase of HGV/DRI (after the Jan 14, 2022) program would be eligible to join HGV Max? If so, would seem 4k could be had for $1000 easily for HGV.
I actually didn't find out very much that I thought was useful (or didn't believe everything that I was told). We don't know what the program will be yet and also what will qualify to be part of the program. Hopefully, on April 1st, everything will be revealed.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

primeg

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Club Trust, Holiday Inn Club Piney Shores Resort, Vacation Village at Williamsburg, Diamond Resorts

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I have some interest in the new added resorts, but would not buy into anything until the details of ownership and access are public. As for buying after the program is officially launched, it will depend on what locations are available and the costs. But to be honest most of my vacation destinations are well covered with my HGV and MVC ownerships.

I am probably more likely to buy into the new program if i can add the access the information and enrollment via the website. It will need to be very compelling to for me to attend a presentation and buy an additional deed.

We are in the exact same boat, except we were once DRI owners s9 I have familiarity with the locations and brand quality.
The numbers bandied about have ranged from $7,000 to $10,000…… or buy something new. If those are the rates to have access, I believe it’s an easy pass for us. DRI has nothing we’d use on a regular basis. We’d maybe go to Sedona every three or four years. Same with Santa Fe NM. Neither are worth paying thousands more for access. Hundreds maybe, thousands it’s a hard no.

jd18

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara (Las Vegas), Kohala Suites (Waikoloa)
I (current HGVC owner) took the bait and bought in within the grandfathering period. I'm hoping HGV Max will give me more meaningful access to the DRI inventory over the longer term. I realize it was just this month's "once in a lifetime" opportunity, but the investment wasn't huge. Assuming HGV Max ends up being desirable, I don't foresee a cheaper way of getting in.

Status
Not open for further replies.