• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2024 Maintenance Fees DISCUSSION THREAD

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Any word on Surfwatch?
Nothing yet. It's always later than most - last year was Dec 5th and the year before, Nov 29th.

(As moderator, a reminder to please use the sticky thread only to post MF's as billed, and use this discussion thread for anything else MF-related. Thanks!)

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
@LUVourMarriotts I've always wondered why they built a resort there in New Jersey. Maybe access to gambling in AC? Once gambling became legal all over the place there's no reason to go there. Southern New Jersey has its charms but I wouldn't have built a timeshare there. We were offered a preview vacation there like 15 years ago and we were like, "where???"

Sorry you're having so much trouble getting rid of it. How does it trade?

Marriott's Fairway Villas was conceived, and allowed to be conceived by MVCI and MI leadership, under the guise of a then Development Team, who missed the mark on three resorts, the three resorts were known as the Terrible Threesome; Fairway Villas, Villas at Doral, and Legend's Edge. All three were significant liabilities for MVCI.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott's Fairway Villas was conceived, and allowed to be conceived by MVCI and MI leadership, under the guise of a then Development Team, who missed the mark on three resorts, the three resorts were known as the Terrible Threesome; Fairway Villas, Villas at Doral, and Legend's Edge. All three were significant liabilities for MVCI.
What is wrong with each of them?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
What is wrong with each of them?
They were all golf centric and sold poorly. Doral was supposed to surround the lake it is located on, they only built 3-4 buildings. They since sold off the undeveloped land to residential developers and it is completely built up. Legends Edge was supposed to have four buildings, but two of them had to be sold as whole ownership or fractional (Grand Residence). It is now no longer a Grand Residence and isn't associated with Marriott Vacation Club. I don't know about the situation at Fairway Villas.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They were all golf centric and sold poorly. Doral was supposed to surround the lake it is located on, they only built 3-4 buildings. They since sold off the undeveloped land to residential developers and it is completely built up. Legends Edge was supposed to have four buildings, but two of them had to be sold as whole ownership or fractional (Grand Residence). It is now no longer a Grand Residence and isn't associated with Marriott Vacation Club. I don't know about the situation at Fairway Villas.
Yikes. So the said liabilities means that those properties carry high maintenance fees for deeded week owners as well as what the trust holds.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
I don't know about the situation at Fairway Villas.
I am giving an educated guess. In the 1991, I had a staff job at IBM in NYC and was asked (told) to be part of a team putting together a multi day management meeting for the sales executives and management teams in the tristate area. It was my last activity before before I was allowed to accept a role as a sales manager. The event was held at the the Marriott Seaview Resort in Absecon NY. The Marriott was picked because of the golfing and easy access (we provided transportation) to Atlantic City. At that time, Atlantic City boardwalk and the immediate surrounding area was a thriving area for gambling, shows, a lot very good restaurants and of course the beach. I was not aware of timeshares at the time but had to stay there 4 days before in preparation and there was no Fairway Villas kind of complex.

Fast forward to the summer of 2013. My wife and I stayed at the Fairway. I knew the allure of Atlantic City had faded but was shocked at the extent it had deteriorated. We actually took a 1 hour drive to Philly a couple of the days to enjoy our stay. I do not know when Fairways construction started and completed, but I can only guess that it was when the allure of AC was on the upswing before the peak and subsequent down turn. The complex is okay at best, the golf good but other than that nothing in the immediate area or the surrounding proximity.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Years ago, we visited Fairway Villas, the resort itself was nice. But, It was just in a bad location. That had a nice golf course, a spa on-site and a restaurant on-site.
There was just nothing to do at this resort, to make you wanted to return.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am giving an educated guess. In the 1991, I had a staff job at IBM in NYC and was asked (told) to be part of a team putting together a multi day management meeting for the sales executives and management teams in the tristate area. It was my last activity before before I was allowed to accept a role as a sales manager. The event was held at the the Marriott Seaview Resort in Absecon NY. The Marriott was picked because of the golfing and easy access (we provided transportation) to Atlantic City. At that time, Atlantic City boardwalk and the immediate surrounding area was a thriving area for gambling, shows, a lot very good restaurants and of course the beach. I was not aware of timeshares at the time but had to stay there 4 days before in preparation and there was no Fairway Villas kind of complex.

Fast forward to the summer of 2013. My wife and I stayed at the Fairway. I knew the allure of Atlantic City had faded but was shocked at the extent it had deteriorated. We actually took a 1 hour drive to Philly a couple of the days to enjoy our stay. I do not know when Fairways construction started and completed, but I can only guess that it was when the allure of AC was on the upswing before the peak and subsequent down turn. The complex is okay at best, the golf good but other than that nothing in the immediate area or the surrounding proximity.
I believe Fairway Villas opened in 2000. Atlantic City was already starting its downward trend but there was an expected resurgence that didn't happen. Vistana has a similar resort that suffered similar fate. Sheraton PGA Vacation Resort in Port St Lucie Florida only built and sold three buildings out of many more that were planned. These golf centric resorts just didn't do well as golf was starting to decline. Just look at how many golf courses around the country closed during the 2000s. These may have done better in the 70s and 80s, but people were no longer interested in the 2000s. Most people don't plan a week long vacation around golf anymore. Perhaps Fairway Villas was just too far from Atlantic City to be considered as a property to stay at and it was too dependent on golf to bring people in.

Last edited:

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed at Fairway Villas for a week this Summer. The resort was nice enough, a typical middle of the road MVC resort. Nothing really stood out as fantastic by any means. The pool was certainly packed everyday so people where there! (It was peak Summer Vacation time.) That said I agree the location just isn't near much of anything. I doubt we would go back again. We just used the week as a base to visit a bunch of national parks in the vicinity. So we did lots of driving around New Jersey and to Philly and Delaware.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if MVC should reach out to owners to get a super majority (?) vote to see if owners want to sell off their ownership at these properties to developers. The Doral one will probably get some money in return but the other two may get nothing much.

We definitely travel to timeshare just to golf and eat out all week. We don't do pools or other activities but it looks like there are not enough of us out there to support these locations. For us it is too far to travel to the east coast. Having said that, we are going to Orlando in February just to golf and eat. There are many more golf options in Orlando when compared to Fairway Villas and Legends Edge locations.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
I don't know about the situation at Fairway Villas.
We are, unfortunately, Fairway Villas owners. They were supposed to build 8 buildings in total. They built 4, one after another, then paused for a while, then built 2 more. No plans to build the other 2. This location had really good golf and spa amenities. There was an Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa on property, with pretty good discounts to owners, and my wife and her friends that would come with us enjoyed that. Golf discounts, for owners, were pretty good at the beginning. The 2 courses that surround the property are/were really nice courses, hosting PGA/LPGA events (not sure if they still do). Marriott sold the hotel, Seaview, a handful of years later and the golf perks diminished. Multiple ownership changes later, they are pretty much gone. Elizabeth Arden Spa left several years ago, and that whole space remains empty. Per the GM, enticing a new vendor to come into that location, with not much around, is difficult.
My wife and I purchased a platinum unit in 2002, which was our entrance into MVC. The location was nice for us, as we lived just north of NYC and the drive was easy. We now live in NC and only elect points for this location now. The bummer there is, the MFV points cost me 13.5% more the current point cost, in MF's. Maybe I should try exchanging and see what that gets me.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
I wonder if MVC should reach out to owners to get a super majority (?) vote to see if owners want to sell off their ownership at these properties to developers. The Doral one will probably get some money in return but the other two may get nothing much.
We have been in MVC's ear about this, but they don't care. I've spoken with the GM and will be speaking with the board president today. I've also done some analysis on the whole property. Based on input provided by GM's, yearly occupancy has been as low as in the 50%'s, and now in the low 80%'s. The time between June-August is pretty much 100%, as expected. Outside of that, this place is a large Courtyard. The bad part is, MVC owners get screwed (IMO) during those months. Weekdays are mostly cash stays, averaging $165/night, Jan-May. Using points, average of $125/night. On weekends, lots of MVC owner points stays. In Jan-Feb, it costs more to stay using points than it does via cash, from $66 to $94/night. In March, a points stay costs $172 more than cash, per night. April is $141 more than cash, and May is anywhere from $51 to $152/night more than a cash stay. I'm told, the reason they have such low cash costs, lower than local hotels, is so they can keep money coming in, which allows them to pay their staff. I get that, and appreciate it. But, at a cost to the owners, above the cost of MF's.

To compare costs, I am using the marriott.com cost per night and comparing that to the Abound points required for same night, multiplied by 2024 point MF cost.

I have also spoken with sales management, customer care, and exit teams at MVC. My initial conversations were about a way to convert my MFV ownership to points. Of course their only offer is for me to deed back MFV for $0 and then pay $25k+ to buy the points. It then turned to the long term value of MFV as an MVC resort. I've been told they find 0 value in the resort, but removing it as a property is very difficult process.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have also spoken with sales management, customer care, and exit teams at MVC. My initial conversations were about a way to convert my MFV ownership to points. Of course their only offer is for me to deed back MFV for $0 and then pay $25k+ to buy the points. It then turned to the long term value of MFV as an MVC resort. I've been told they find 0 value in the resort, but removing it as a property is very difficult process.
Your recommendation is exactly what I have in mind, exchange your timeshare for the same amount of DC / Abound points ($0 cost) and they take the week back for all owners. Enrolled owners choose between getting Abound points or residual proceeds of the sold property/land, while resale/non-enrolled owners get residual proceeds from sale of the property/land.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

We definitely travel to timeshare just to golf and eat out all week. We don't do pools or other activities but it looks like there are not enough of us out there to support these locations. For us it is too far to travel to the east coast. Having said that, we are going to Orlando in February just to golf and eat. There are many more golf options in Orlando when compared to Fairway Villas and Legends Edge locations.
I think the more likely scenario is for MVC to eventually drop the resort and that will give incentive for owners to sign on for a possible sale of the property.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm told, the reason they have such low cash costs, lower than local hotels, is so they can keep money coming in, which allows them to pay their staff. I get that, and appreciate it. But, at a cost to the owners, above the cost of MF's.
They don't need cash stays to pay the staff. The staff is paid out of the annual maintenance fees paid for by owners. Now, MVC Trust may be a big owner, but the trust maintenance fees are now covering those salaries. With low occupancy means they just want to fill rooms. Even if MVC can rent them out for 50% of what they are paying to cover the maintenance fees, it is still better than a 100% loss. The only people really reliant on cash guests to get paid are food and beverage as they are paid for by Marriott and Marriott keeps the profits from those sales.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think the more likely scenario is for MVC to eventually drop the resort and that will give incentive for owners to sign on for a possible sale of the property.
If they were to drop it, would it just continue on as a non branded timeshare property? Or do you think MVC would want to dissolve the timeshare scheme?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If they were to drop it, would it just continue on as a non branded timeshare property? Or do you think MVC would want to dissolve the timeshare scheme?
I think it would continue without MVC and the BOD would need to work towards a solution which might be just another so so timeshare because of it's location and they should try to sell it at that point. Getting a super majority is difficult.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think it would continue without MVC and the BOD would need to work towards a solution which might be just another so so timeshare because of it's location and they should try to sell it at that point. Getting a super majority is difficult.
Any idea if the deeds there have a sunset clause?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Any idea if the deeds there have a sunset clause?
Sorry, I am not aware of the wording there of any of the legal documents. Unless it is a RTU, which I don't think it is, I doubt it.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wouldn't that depend on either MVW choosing to dissolve the Management Agreement, or, the majority ownership voting in sufficient numbers to dissolve the timeshare? I'm asking because I don't know of any resorts where Marriott's method of separation involved anything other than severing the Management Agreement, none where they dissolved the timeshare.

The resort docs spell out the terms/process for both MVW separating and the owners' electing to dissolve. The latter is fairly simple for MVW as long as they give sufficient notice (for SurfWatch I believe it's 60 days if the ownership/board doesn't comply with the Brand Standard or Budget set by MVW, and 90 days for any other reason determined by MVW.) The former is a significant hurdle to jump (again using SurfWatch, it requires 75% of all voting members to vote in favor.) If MVW doesn't want it dissolved they're not going to do anything except the bare minimum required of them to help the owners get the ball rolling, and it's almost certain that they wouldn't vote their shares in favor of dissolving unless the owners' votes are already enough to dissolve.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't that depend on either MVW choosing to dissolve the Management Agreement, or, the majority ownership voting in sufficient numbers to dissolve the timeshare? I'm asking because I don't know of any resorts where Marriott's method of separation involved anything other than severing the Management Agreement, none where they dissolved the timeshare.

The resort docs spell out the terms/process for both MVW separating and the owners' electing to dissolve. The latter is fairly simple for MVW as long as they give sufficient notice (for SurfWatch I believe it's 60 days if the ownership/board doesn't comply with the Brand Standard or Budget set by MVW, and 90 days for any other reason determined by MVW.) The former is a significant hurdle to jump (again using SurfWatch, it requires 75% of all voting members to vote in favor.) If MVW doesn't want it dissolved they're not going to do anything except the bare minimum required of them to help the owners get the ball rolling, and it's almost certain that they wouldn't vote their shares in favor of dissolving unless the owners' votes are already enough to dissolve.
I guess the question is, how large a percentage does MVC or the Abound Trust own at this particular resort?

I would think that if, for some reason, the management agreement were dissolved either by MVC or ownership vote, MVC would no longer want to own any of the weeks, either directly or via the Trust.

At that point they would seem to have two choices: 1) Sell the weeks they own/control, which would be difficult for a suddenly independent resort not tied to the MVC system that doesn't seem to be all that desirable. 2) Help to dissolve the resort as a timeshare entirely so they can hopefully at least make something off the sale while washing their hands of it it one transaction. If it were me acting as MVC I would push for dissolving in that situation.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your recommendation is exactly what I have in mind, exchange your timeshare for the same amount of DC / Abound points ($0 cost) and they take the week back for all owners. Enrolled owners choose between getting Abound points or residual proceeds of the sold property/land, while resale/non-enrolled owners get residual proceeds from sale of the property/land.
That's pretty creative but I wouldn't expect MVW to offer anything more generous than the bare minimum, no difference between enrolled and unenrolled Weeks. With the cash proceeds each owner could then purchase Club Points but again, I wouldn't expect MVW to offer them any type of deal - it'd just be that any of the owners could use the cash proceeds to purchase Club Points at current prices as a stand-alone transaction.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess the question is, how large a percentage does MVC or the Abound Trust own at this particular resort?

I would think that if, for some reason, the management agreement were dissolved either by MVC or ownership vote, MVC would no longer want to own any of the weeks, either directly or via the Trust.

At that point they would seem to have two choices: 1) Sell the weeks they own/control, which would be difficult for a suddenly independent resort not tied to the MVC system that doesn't seem to be all that desirable. 2) Help to dissolve the resort as a timeshare entirely so they can hopefully at least make something off the sale while washing their hands of it it one transaction. If it were me acting as MVC I would push for dissolving in that situation.
You could be right. :)

I've always thought that the Abound Trust and the Exchange Company were deliberately set up in such a way that MVW can add non-Marriott-branded timeshare intervals as long as they conform to every other requirement. My expectation with everything is always that if it's beneficial for MVW to do something and the docs don't forbid it, that's what will be done. I expect the worst and in my experience, everything they've done so far hasn't been the absolute worst and it also hasn't hurt my ownership enough to want out. :)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Aren't the resort management agreements time limited and have to be renewed periodically? I was thinking they were on a 5 year cycle. All they'd have to do would be to either let it expire or sell the management rights to another company such as Bluegreen, Hilton or Wyndham. I also suspect there are for cause terminations built in which they could work from if they truly wantee to.

I think they'd have a few options. For enrolled owners they'd likely just terminate them from Abound. For the trust all they'd have to do would be to swap out with another location. I suspect they'd have to give the NJ owner the option to terminate their enrollment. I am told that for the first round of resort terminations early on, they gave those owners who'd bought directly a reasonable option to swap out. This did not happen with the last round (Spicebush, etc) even though some owners pushed for it.