• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2024 Maintenance Fees DISCUSSION THREAD

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
How much would currently cost what you own 1 WKORV-OF (Maui) WKV x2 (Scottsdale) bought from the developer? Less than $200k?
Additionally, I think the 3 deeds convert to about 16,300 Abound points. If you were to buy today 16,300 points from the developer (which is what they offer, not the deeds you own), at $15 pp that means $240,000 upfront and for 16,300 Abound points (at $0.78748 pp) you would pay $12,835 dollars in MF (2024). How does the "value proposition" sound for you with these numbers? You can split it individually per deed if you find more "value" that way.

How is my math wrong? Show me how your math is better. Even if we ignore the developer's prices today (which is what we're actually discussing), can you still ignore the fact that if you had invested $30,000 during the Great Recession, you could have multiple times that amount now?
The "value proposition" discussion was whether deeded legacy weeks still have value given the increases in MF's. You responded by arguing that purchasing points from the developer is absurdly expensive -- a concept with which I agree completely. You are comparing apples to oranges.

But given your obvious talent in manipulating numbers to get to the conclusion you want, I will reiterate my suggestion in post #225 that you become a timeshare salesman. And I am done arguing with you.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
For non US residents, has anyone seen a change in charging International Service Fees?
We have always been charged these for the weeks we own in Grand Chateau and St Kitts
(I have never really understood the justification, as all of our dealings are completed online, so no postal or telephone costs incurred by MVC)
However, for our 2024 MFs, Grand Chateau does not have this charge and although St Kitts does, we have received an email from MVC Finance saying that this should not have been included and has now been removed.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
@bazzap nothing on my Manor Club that I have just received, but I don't have the breakdown from previous years to check if the International Service Charge was there. The history section in the MVC accounts is rubbish, unless you know a way to find the history and can tell me

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
@bazzap nothing on my Manor Club that I have just received, but I don't have the breakdown from previous years to check if the International Service Charge was there. The history section in the MVC accounts is rubbish, unless you know a way to find the history and can tell me
Sadly no, I download previous statements exactly because the history section in the MVC accounts does not provide this information.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
The "value proposition" discussion was whether deeded legacy weeks still have value given the increases in MF's. You responded by arguing that purchasing points from the developer is absurdly expensive -- a concept with which I agree completely. You are comparing apples to oranges.

But given your obvious talent in manipulating numbers to get to the conclusion you want, I will reiterate my suggestion in post #225 that you become a timeshare salesman. And I am done arguing with you.

It's quite amusing how my allegedly "manipulated" calculations (without you providing any indication on the "manipulation" of course) apparently arrive at the same verdict as yours, which is that the developer's proposal lacks any semblance of value. Regrettably, I have no intention of bending the rules and providing you with personal advice on your future career aspirations.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How much would currently cost what you own 1 WKORV-OF (Maui) WKV x2 (Scottsdale) bought from the developer? Less than $200k?
Additionally, I think the 3 deeds convert to about 16,300 Abound points. If you were to buy today 16,300 points from the developer (which is what they offer, not the deeds you own), at $15 pp that means $240,000 upfront and for 16,300 Abound points (at $0.78748 pp) you would pay $12,835 dollars in MF (2024). How does the "value proposition" sound for you with these numbers? You can split it individually per deed if you find more "value" that way.

How is my math wrong? Show me how your math is better. Even if we ignore the developer's prices today (which is what we're actually discussing), can you still ignore the fact that if you had invested $30,000 during the Great Recession, you could have multiple times that amount now?
I bought all my Chairman's Club portfolio from Vistana/MVC directly, including all MVC ownership which were post-2010 and they cost me a total of $80K. A far cry from your $200K. My annual MF is about $11K.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought all my Chairman's Club portfolio from Vistana/MVC directly, including all MVC ownership which were post-2010 and they cost me a total of $80K. A far cry from your $200K. My annual MF is about $11K.
It does not apear we have a math disagreement. I always referred to the current retail cost. I maintain that the Vistana deeds you have on your profile would be a lot closer TODAY to my estimate than to 80,000 dollars

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It does not apear we have a math disagreement. I always referred to the current retail cost. I maintain that the Vistana deeds you have on your profile would be a lot closer TODAY to my estimate than to 80,000 dollars
My MVC ownership were all bought between 2013 and 2017. They have not appreciated that much and $80K, equate to about $5.33 per point, with use of bundling.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My MVC ownership were all bought between 2013 and 2017. They have not appreciated that much and $80K, equate to about $5.33 per point, with use of bundling.
If you were to buy the same direct from the developer today, would it cost you $200K?

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Nope. I got MVC resale weeks plus points. I won't be buying if it is $200K.
Mine was a theoretical question. IF you bought them full freight retail today, would they cost $200K. Perhaps that is what this yapper was alluding to?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine was a theoretical question. IF you bought them full freight retail today, would they cost $200K. Perhaps that is what this yapper was alluding to?
Ah, but there are lots of ways to bundle, including buying Spain or Caribbean MVC resorts. I think the price point of about $5.30 has been mentioned by using another week to bundle the purchase. I think to get to Chairman's Club level, one can get it done with $70K to $100K, which may include some of the Westin and Sheraton Flex products.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Ah, but there are lots of ways to bundle, including buying Spain or Caribbean MVC resorts. I think the price point of about $5.30 has been mentioned by using another week to bundle the purchase. I think to get to Chairman's Club level, one can get it done with $70K to $100K, which may include some of the Westin and Sheraton Flex products.
I don’t define bundling as “full freight”.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I do firmly believe bundling is full freight because that is what MVC sells.
I am just trying to rationalize why someone may think it would cost $200K, that's all.

Also, I think the numbers down in the $5 range usually come from enrollment promos and not bundles. Enrollment promo utilizes an external resale week. That is not something MVC sells.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am just trying to rationalize why someone may think it would cost $200K, that's all.

Also, I think the numbers down in the $5 range usually come from enrollment promos and not bundles. Enrollment promo utilizes an external resale week. That is not something MVC sells.
I haven't seen any bundles that low and can't imagine getting anywhere near close to that currently with a bundle. One might be able to get it down that low with low cost higher points properties like Vegas or by going all in for Plus/event weeks and ending up with a lot of points. Or possibly with a Tahoe Fractional but again, a lot of points. IMO the yearly fees are just as important as the per point upfront costs, possibly more so. The other variable would be for Spain if they have a special so anyone interested should look at all the options.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even today, there are indeed ways to buy cheaper, but most people are not offered these ways, because most Marriott owners do not know or understand the resale market. For example, I can requalify for my annual event and regular platinum 2BR at Lagunamar by buying an additional small Aventuras package for 15k (10k for the first contract, 5k for the second), which would bring the total cost of the bundle well below $3 a point (my cost). This is not what I was talking about, though. I was talking about the full Abound price that a majority of new owners pay today, which is around $15 a point. I think we can stop here. We've both made it clear enough what we're referring to.

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
I'm looking for Timber Lodge in Lake Tahoe, 2 bd every year MF for 2024. If someone can post it, I appreciate you!

[Moderator Note: Post moved from 2024 MF's sticky thread.]

Last edited by a moderator:

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
First of the Orlando resorts have posted....about 17% increase for Harbour Lake...biggest jumps were in Maintenance, Income Tax, Housekeeping, and of course the icing on the cake, the Management Fee. The jump in reserves was about 15%, so not fully-funded I suppose. It's the spendiest of the Sea World Three so hopefully my Cypress and GV units will be a $100-200 cheaper.

As a bargain trader, this is becoming a little more spendy as it'll be over $1K/week even though it's enrolled.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
First of the Orlando resorts have posted....about 17% increase for Harbour Lake...biggest jumps were in Maintenance, Income Tax, Housekeeping, and of course the icing on the cake, the Management Fee. The jump in reserves was about 15%, so not fully-funded I suppose. It's the spendiest of the Sea World Three so hopefully my Cypress and GV units will be a $100-200 cheaper.

As a bargain trader, this is becoming a little more spendy as it'll be over $1K/week even though it's enrolled.
100% correct…and at only 1950 Abound Points for my Gold Harbor Lake its not worth it to opt for Points…I get way more bang for the buck splitting the 2BR and getting 2 exchanges through Interval…Which I have been very successful at getting great exchanges.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

Welp, this will be the last year below $2K for a week. I think these Orlando increases officially make Grand Chateau the premier resort to buy resale for trading.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Welp, this will be the last year below $2K for a week. I think these Orlando increases officially make Grand Chateau the premier resort to buy resale for trading.
Well to be fair we got them more or less for free, so it'll take a dozen years or more of $200/300 / year difference in MFs to tilt the calculus.

But, yeah. :oops:

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Well to be fair we got them more or less for free, so it'll take a dozen years or more of $200/300 / year difference in MFs to tilt the calculus.

But, yeah. :oops:
We did pay about $7K for our MGV Gold resale. Though that was back before the market crashed. I expect resale prices to drop even more now...