• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recommend Aruba timeshare please?

Lves2raft

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Scotland
Hi all, currently own HGVC Platinum deeded with Craigendaroch Scotland. Its 8400 points annually. However, recently fell in love with Aruba and want to be able to visit annually (maybe even more than once) - was thinking of buying into Marriott there perhaps?

Questions:
1. How is Marriott on resale? (What do you lose by not buying direct?)
2. Is there better timeshares to buy into there - DIVI perhaps?
3. Do any of the timeshares there come with all inclusive perks?
4. Reputable timeshare realtor you can recommend?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I can really only speak to the Marriott properties. When you buy a resale week, in reality that is all you are buying. You can't enroll it in their points product to book other Marriott resorts directly. You can use Interval International to exchange into other Marriott resorts and pay all the fees associated with exchanging.

Last edited:

Lves2raft

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Scotland
I can really only speak to the Marriott properties. When you buy a resale week, in reality that is all you are buying. You can't enroll it in their points product to book other Marriott resorts directly. You can use Interval International to exchange into other Marriott resorts and pay all the fees associated with exchanging.

You may want to remove the line about making an HGV points booking to rent out as that is technically a violation of the rules and could easily derail your thread.
Thanks! And thanks for heads up. How is using interval? Good to know about not being able to enroll for Marriott points. When I bought HGVC resale I was able to get into the points system. This was many years ago…

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That is the fundamental difference between HGVC and Marriott. HGVC weeks are enrolled in the club points program where Marriott weeks are not. There is a backdoor way to get points for the week, but it required an expensive developer purchase.

An Aruba week will trade great in Interval International and you can actually lock off the week ($90 fee) and deposit both sides to get two trades. Of course, each trade has fees.

Lves2raft

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Scotland
That is the fundamental difference between HGVC and Marriott. HGVC weeks are enrolled in the club points program where Marriott weeks are not. There is a backdoor way to get points for the week, but it required an expensive developer purchase.

An Aruba week will trade great in Interval International and you can actually lock off the week ($90 fee) and deposit both sides to get two trades. Of course, each trade has fees.
Is there a link or something I can read more about the program for Interval and this idea of two weeks for one? That sounds promising!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Everyone has their favorite location/resort in Aruba. It depends on what’s more important to you. For example, beach, resort amenities, etc. Here are some old discussions.

To learn more about the Marriott week based system hangout on the TUG Marriott forum. There’s a few sticky threads at the top of the Marriott forum (link). Here are a few newbie threads

You might be able to trade into Aruba but it depends on,
  • What time of year do you want to travel to Aruba?
  • What unit size would you normally need?
  • How flexible are your travel dates?
  • Does view matter?

Good Luck and Welcome to TUG :hi:

Lves2raft

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Scotland
Everyone has their favorite location/resort in Aruba. It depends on what’s more important to you. For example, beach, resort amenities, etc. Here are some old discussions.

To learn more about the Marriott week based system hangout on the TUG Marriott forum. There’s a few sticky threads at the top of the Marriott forum (link). Here are a few newbie threads

• Does view matter?

This is really great. Thank you so much!

Lves2raft

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Scotland

• Does view matter?

@alwaysonvac - I’ve read through these links and I would like to run something by you to see if I got this right. I could buy a 2 bed gold season in Aruba MVC for about $7k and about $2k annual MF. Or I could buy two platinum weeks at Marriot Chateau in Vegas - total MF about $2400 but with the trading power of Chateu if I book early enough and am flexible I can likely get into Aruba and probably more than once a year. Or even do lock offs and get even greater value for about the same initial cost and maintenance fees?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
This is really great. Thank you so much!
You’re welcome. We like Aruba too :)

Fully disclosure, I don’t own a Marriott timeshare. I love the Marriott resorts and I’ve been tempted to buy a Marriott Aruba week but honestly I don’t have any problems using my non-Marriott timeshare to exchange into the Marriott’s in Aruba via Interval International (II).

Also, several resorts in Aruba are available via Interval International’s cash rentals (aka II Getaways) from time to time.

NOTE: If you become a TUG Member for $15 (link), you’ll have access to the member only TUG Sightings forum (link), where you can get almost a constant view of Interval International exchange availability at popular Marriott resorts.

@alwysonvac - I’ve read through these links and I would like to run something by you to see if I got this right. I could buy a 2 bed gold season in Aruba MVC for about $7k and about $2k annual MF. Or I could buy two platinum weeks at Marriot Chateau in Vegas - total MF about $2400 but with the trading power of Chateau if I book early enough and am flexible I can likely get into Aruba and probably more than once a year. Or even do lock offs and get even greater value for about the same initial cost and maintenance fees?
Yes, if you’re flexible however the questions I previously asked are an important factor to consider. I’ve listed why below.

Q: What time of year do you want to travel to Aruba?
As you can see by the linked threads, there‘s lots of competition during Marriott’s platinum season in Aruba. If that’s when you want to travel then you might be better off renting.

Q: How flexible are your travel dates?
Exchanging works for me because I can travel anything during the year. Not a few specify weeks but anytime over several months.

For Aruba, I generally travel when there’s the greatest exchange availability (see TDI link below). It’s also less crowded and airfares are lower.

Here’s a link to Interval International’s Travel Demand Index (TDI) for the Caribbean (supply vs demand) - https://www.intervalworld.com/iimedia/images/tdi/2022/2022_TDI_78.jpg

Q: Does view matter?
Marriott legacy week owners are guaranteed a view based on their home resort week ownership.
Marriott DC point owners can also book a guarantee room view.
II exchangers don’t get a guaranteed room view and/or location.

NOTE: The Interval International exchange will indicate a Marriott unit code (link) but it’s not a guarantee ;).

Last edited:

Lves2raft

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Scotland
I prefer going during summer anyways due to kids being out of school but I can honestly go anytime! The view though…that does matter. Hmm haha ! Thanks for the membership link. Didn’t know about that. Will join.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Exchanging will add $263 or more to your annual costs. So calculate that into the decision. Is the couple hundred dollars in savings worth the headache of trying to exchange? Any time you are traveling during school holidays, it makes exchange harder.

Lves2raft

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Scotland
Exchanging will add $263 or more to your annual costs. So calculate that into the decision. Is the couple hundred dollars in savings worth the headache of trying to exchange? Any time you are traveling during school holidays, it makes exchange harder.
True - the initial cost is half though for the purchase itself. I see Aruba Marriott listings for rent (not sale) on Airbnb, Redweek, and the marketplace. Is this allowed with Marriott?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
True - the initial cost is half though for the purchase itself. I see Aruba Marriott listings for rent (not sale) on Airbnb, Redweek, and the marketplace. Is this allowed with Marriott?
Yes, you can rent reservations made with Marriott. You just can't rent confirmations received through Interval International (II).

Lves2raft

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Scotland
Yes, you can rent reservations made with Marriott. You just can't rent confirmations received through Interval International (II).
Thanks! If I can’t vacation one year - and I get a decent booking time at the Chateau- can it at least cover maintenance fees renting it out?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks! If I can’t vacation one year - and I get a decent booking time at the Chateau- can it at least cover maintenance fees renting it out?
Grand Chateau is far harder to rent than Aruba. With Grand Chateau you are also competing against 150,000 hotel rooms.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I prefer going during summer anyways due to kids being out of school but I can honestly go anytime!
Here are some threads I found searching the Marriott forum regarding renting and summer exchange availability.
Exchanging will add $263 or more to your annual costs. So calculate that into the decision.
@dioxide45 also provided a detailed cost breakdown in the “MGC Trader” thread as well (see post #6 above for the link).