• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aruba questions

ocowner

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are thinking of exchanging into Aruba, possibly summer or fall 2018. We don't exchange much with RCI (not Interval members)... a few questions:

1. Is there really any season better than others in Aruba? Or, is the climate pretty much the same year-round?

2. We'll likely only need a 1BR unit. How far in advance do units become available? Are next year's weeks already picked over?

3. What trading power will be needed to get a 1BR, or even a 2BR unit (we have 34 from our banked week with RCI)?

4. Any input on the towns, beaches, and resorts will be appreciated. We prefer to be right on the beach, close to restaurants, and possibly avoid crowded beaches.

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no "bad season". However, High season Jan - March is more temperate. There is almost nothing available in High season - owners go and use their weeks or they rent them.

You should be fine for summer/fall of 2018. 34 TPU should be plenty.

Eagle beach is the prettiest with nice resorts, but not close to lots of restaurants. Beach is "bigger" so doesn't feel as crowded. Beach is also deeper so could be a bit a walk from your hut to the water. You will either want a car, or cabs to dinner to go offsite.

Palm beach has lots of restaurants/shopping right there. Beaches are narrower, short walk to the water.

Downtown doesn't have time shares (that I know of) - Marriot has something there, don't think it shows up in RCI.

If you want 2 bedroom, you will most likely end up at Eagle beach. Palm beach is Playa Linda with more 1 bedrooms than 2 bedrooms (right on the beach, lots of restaurants nearby). Eagle beach has more timeshares - some on the beach, some across the street.

Don't do AI - way too many great restaurants in Aruba.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The only timeshare in downtown that I am aware of is the Renaissance Aruba. It is not a Marriott timeshare property, but rather a Marriott hotel property that is managed by the hotel company. They have a timeshare attached to that property, but it is not managed or related in any way to Marriott Vacation Club. It trades in II.

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ditto everything noted above, except there are restaurants on Eagle Beach. Not as many as Palm Beach or downtown, but there are good ones in the area. We own at the Ren and loved it; 240 1 BR units so it doesn't get crazy. First class property, does trade through II and you can book directly through the Marriott site. If you can't get a timeshare trade, we own a 2 BR ocean front condo at Oceania which is right on Eagle Beach. Let us know if you are interested.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have another future week to bank, and would accept something right across the street from the beach, you can lock in an exchange today from Platinum Interchange at Paradise Beach Villas on Eagle Beach. No membership fee, and exchange fee is lower than RCI. They have many 1-BR and 2-BR units avail right now for 2018.

Haven't been there, either to the island or this resort, but we have an exchange into there for 2018 as well. I researched the location and the resort, and all sounds pretty good to me. I prefer oceanfront, and have used RCI for decades, and have lots of TPU's, but have seen fewer and fewer decent exchanges available, so thought I'd try something else.

www.platinuminterchange.com - 1-800-854-2324 - easiest to transact by phone.

ocowner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your answers. If I started a search now for summer 2018, do you think there is any realistic hope that a quality oceanfront resort would show up? Or, has the timing of planning for next summer already passed?

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I booked a studio at Aruba Beach Club for Aug 2017 just 2 months in advance for 14 TPUs... about a month later, a 1bdrm popped up at Playa Linda. (I was hoping for the platinum upgrade... that never happened). It didn't sit in inventory long. I also saw other units pop up. And... the best part, airfare from BWI to AUA was under $500 round-trip just 2 months before the trip (on Southwest.)

Anyway, I would think an ongoing search would get you what you want. I would also search manually periodically.

gresmi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like Eagle Beach. I'm an owner at Casa Del Mar and like the fact it's on the corner so you can walk in either direction. Around the corner to the right is Divi and the beach there is the calmest. See people swimming "laps" there frequently. Walk down the other way and it's Costa Linda, which is also a beautiful and well kept resort.
As sandkastle mentioned, don't do AI. Way too many choices for dining to do that. Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but Aruba imports some very fine meats from SA, Dutch cheeses, etc. Making your own meals is not a bummer in Aruba. You have some of the finest ingredients in the world to choose from. I used to take my George Foreman grill down there in my luggage. :)

Haven't been on the forum in a long time. Mostly been traveling in Europe last few years. 2 days here, 3 days there, 6 days somewhere else. Saw a lot of very cool sights and great places. But, I'm done with much of Europe, at least until some of the so-called leaders over there decide protecting their citizenry from terrorists is a good idea. If they can't even see fit to do that, why would I as an American think they give a schiet about me? Anyways, hopefully I'm not telling anybody anything that's not already apparent. Saw some things in Paris and Brussells that will not be bringing me back any time in the near future. Maybe this would be a good time to see Portugal, Hungary, Romania, and another go around in CZ or Italy?
Off my soapbox now.

ocowner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your answers. We have an ongoing search on hold for Casa Del Mar. This is a 1BR check in late June. Other resorts to choose from in the search include costa Linda, Aruba Beach Club, and Playa Linda. These were based on resort reviews here. Is CDM a good quality resort? Some reviews on the RCI website suggest it is dated and the 1BRs are in need of updating. Are the 1BR exchange units at CDM on the beach, or is it a walk to get there? Ocean view?

ocowner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any input on Casa Del Mar? What are the chance of securing a summer week 2018 at one of the other resorts, now that we're 8-10 months out? My RCI hold expires tomorrow.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at the Marriott Aruba Ocean Club. I’ve never seen Casa Del Mar— I know it’s older. Playa Linda is okay, it’s next to the Hyatt on Palm Beach. I haven’t seen their renovated units.

Pappy Mentos

Reaction score
Casa Del Mar was built in the mid-late 1980’s. The resort has 2 sections, 2 bedroom Presidentials which are on the beach and 1 bedroom Ambassadors which are across the street. The rooms are clean and fairly well maintained. The amenities are limited - rectangular shaped pool, tennis courts, small fitness center. The beach comes and goes-look at the webcam on their website throughout the day to see how it changes with the tide. Usually a fair number of units available in the summer months-we obtained one only about 2 months before on RCI a few years back.

ocowner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I now have an RCI exchange on hold for Aruba Beach Club - 1 BR. It's on hold until Monday. Of course we don't know the unit number yet. Does anyone have input if the resort is ocean front? Are the rooms all at least ocean view? Do any of the rooms look east and not toward the ocean?

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I now have an RCI exchange on hold for Aruba Beach Club - 1 BR. It's on hold until Monday. Of course we don't know the unit number yet. Does anyone have input if the resort is ocean front? Are the rooms all at least ocean view? Do any of the rooms look east and not toward the ocean?
Aruba Beach Club is oceanfront. I'm pretty sure all rooms have an ocean view because of the way the buildings are situated.

Sometimes, if you login thru the mobile site (m.rci.com) you can see the room number for units on hold. Doesn't work for all resorts though.