• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lock off Unit and Interval Exchange

fdough1

Reaction score
I have a lockoff unit at Beachplace Towers in FLA platinum week. I have never tried an exchange thru interval so have some newbie questions. I looked up the TDI for Beachplace on interval and I could book for a week with 150 points. Lets say I book a week and lock it off and just use the studio portion for the exchange. Would that limit me to an exchange at another resort that is just a studio?

If I book the master suite and full kitchen side and deposit that for exchange then what can I do with the studio?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
THe 150 isn't points per say, but rather an index value assigned to give you an idea of trade demand. If you lock off and deposit the studio, you can then use that to trade into anything that is has the trade power to pull. This could be another studio, a 1BR, 2BR or other unit. Of course, there will be upgrade fees if you trade into a 1BR or larger unit more than 59 days in advance of checkin. You certainly aren't limited to just trading into other studios. That said, II has reduced the trade power of studios so they don't seem to pull the same inventory that they did in years past (I swear we say this every few years).

If you deposit the 1BR, you can either use the studio for yourself or deposit it also.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll second dioxide45's thoughts. I suggest you consider depositing both as separate deposits and try to upgrade both. Also realize that TDI is a rough guideline thus not all weeks are equal even at the same TDI for a given resort. In RCI weeks 5-7 are lower and weeks 15 & 16 the highest with 17 higher than 14. That assumes a Sat or Sun check in as a Fri check in for those weeks actually occurs a week later than the Sat & Sun in 2022 due to the way the standard timeshare calendar resets every 6 years. On years when Easter is earlier there be some shift but likely not much. I'd do week 15 personally if I'd personally could get it but I'd take week 16 over 14 esp if the extra 2 weeks might be helpful based on when you would normally travel. .

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are new to II have a look at the video tutorials to see how to place a request ( ongoing search) or search manually (instant exchange). They are in the general discussion section of the community.

If you don’t see what you want by manual search definitely place a request. Many people (like me!) request a year or more in advance and assuming you have enough trading power you will be matched to your requested unit when it becomes available before the unit is released to general inventory. Search manually too even when your request is in place- sometimes cancellations slip or you might find something else you prefer.
There is defiantly a learning curve to II- use the community there to get advice too.
Read the faq and buyers guide at the bottom of any page on II so you understand the rules there
Good luck.

Susan2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sailfish Yacht Club, Summer Bay Resort, The Houses at Summer Bay, The Jockey Club, Island Links Resort, Grand Palms, Sandy Square (RTU)
If you register your week with Interval as a 1BR and a studio, you can search for exchanges without depositing. This will give you good idea of what you can get for each side of the lockoff. And you may be able to register the full 2BR, and check what that can get you.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Susan2 is correct. If I remember, in order to search without first depositing, you may need to create a "virtual" Marriott reservation.

So start the search on Interval, but the Interval website may stop you and ask for your reservation number. Marriott reservations have 8 digits and tend to begin with 7, 8, and maybe 9? So input something like 81234567, put in a date within your ownership season, and that should allow a search.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you register your week with Interval as a 1BR and a studio, you can search for exchanges without depositing. This will give you good idea of what you can get for each side of the lockoff. And you may be able to register the full 2BR, and check what that can get you.
But if you do this you are only seeing what is available at that moment, the “leftovers” after requests have been fulfilled. That doesn’t illustrate the potential of what you can get by requesting.
Marriott owners get priority exchange into other deposited Marriotts for 3 weeks.
You own an elite resort. Platinum week means high TDI.
You have great trading power as long as the unit you want has been deposited into II- which is why I suggest placing a request as far in advance as possible. Marriott owners can deposit 12/13 months in advance depending on ownership level so requesting that early you are waiting when the deposits come in.

Last edited:

jblj321

Reaction score
I have a lockoff unit at Beachplace Towers in FLA platinum week. I have never tried an exchange thru interval so have some newbie questions. I looked up the TDI for Beachplace on interval and I could book for a week with 150 points. Lets say I book a week and lock it off and just use the studio portion for the exchange. Would that limit me to an exchange at another resort that is just a studio?

If I book the master suite and full kitchen side and deposit that for exchange then what can I do with the studio?

Thanks in advance.

MVC charges a fee to lock off your unit, unless it is enrolled in their points program. As mentioned you also pay an upgrade fee of $99 per room (e.g. $198 for a studio to a 2 BR, etc.). You can become an II platinum member and the upgrade fee drops to $59 per room (do the math to see if it works for you). There is no upgrade fee if you exchange your unit with a check-in date of 59 days or less from your exchange date. You can get 2 vacations for just a few hundred dollars more (it can be well worth it).

fdough1

Reaction score
So if I decide to lock off, book and deposit the 1br and studio separately the how do you show that split that in II?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So if I decide to lock off, book and deposit the 1br and studio separately the how do you show that split that in II?

When in II, you probably have a unit listed under My Units for the Florida Club MOI. Select the appropriate year associated with that unit and enter the confirmation number, checkin date and enter ZZAA for the unit number. YOu should then get another screen that will ask you to select the unit size you are depositing. Select the 1BR and complete the deposit. Then go back to the My Units screen and the studio side should be available to deposit. If you don't want to deposit both sides, then just pick the applicable unit you are depositing and only deposit the one.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

In II you should have a listing for the FL Club AND separately for Beachplace for those that own there. Under Beachplace it should give you 3 options for each week for each year, usually 2 years at a time. They are the 2 BR, 1 BR and studio listed separately. If you chose the 2 BR it may ask you again to select a pull down to deposit the 2 BR, my Willow Ridge does it that way.

fdough1

Reaction score
Thanks for the help

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
In II you should have a listing for the FL Club AND separately for Beachplace for those that own there. Under Beachplace it should give you 3 options for each week for each year, usually 2 years at a time. They are the 2 BR, 1 BR and studio listed separately. If you chose the 2 BR it may ask you again to select a pull down to deposit the 2 BR, my Willow Ridge does it that way.
If it works like Grande Vista, there is only the Florida Club unit. When you go to deposit, you enter the reservation information in the applicable line for the resort being deposited. I have already deposited 2022 or I would post a screen shot.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If it works like Grande Vista, there is only the Florida Club unit. When you go to deposit, you enter the reservation information in the applicable line for the resort being deposited. I have already deposited 2022 or I would post a screen shot.
Thanks.