• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aruba Question on which resort

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
We are planning a trip to Aruba. I want a clean resort that isn't dated, is clean with no roaches.

I was set on La Cabana, then read reviews and now am undecided.
Then Costa Linda, then read reviews and am undecided
Renaissance but not sure if the location is good.

Reviews can make you batty since many reviews are disgruntled guests. So owners, come clean and help me out please.

Am I better off just renting a room at the Hyatt, it will be just me and my husband so don't need a big villa but a studio or 1BR will do just fine.

ALL comments welcomed. We will be renting either from an owner or Hotels.com and not trading. Miss my Vistana, if I had my TS now I could just rent an extra vacation.
TIA

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Two years ago I stayed at Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort... 2 bdrm lockout, nicely maintained, huge resort across the street from the beach.

Last year I was at Aruba Beach Club... a studio, on the beach, nice, but not as large or as modern as Divi. My sister was at Playa Linda Beach Resort in a 1 bdrm... also on the beach. In my opinion, Playa Linda was a bit nicer than Aruba Beach Club. The staff was more attentive and the property was livelier. All 3 were clean, I didn't see any roaches. Of those three, Aruba Beach Club was the most dated, but still nice.

This year we'll be at Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort...also on the beach. My sister toured there last year and really liked it.

FYI - Playa Linda has an owners forum where owners list weeks for rent... forum.playalinda.com

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at the Marriott Aruba Ocean Club, it’s not dated, clean and I’ve never seen a roach! It’s on the beach and much nicer than any of the previously mentioned TS.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
We own at the Marriott Aruba Ocean Club, it’s not dated, clean and I’ve never seen a roach! It’s on the beach and much nicer than any of the previously mentioned TS.
I'm sure it's much nicer, as Marriott locations usually are... also much more expensive. Our exchanges (thru RCI) into the ones mentioned in my prior post were under $1000 for the week, including the points cost and exchange fees. Of course there are additional fees at check-in...pretty much the standard for Caribbean resorts.

If cost is not a factor in your decision, Marriott is the way to go.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Been an owner at Divi Village Golf & Beach Resort for 8 years and been there 6 times. Note that Aruba resorts are divided between a low rise section and a high rise section. Divi Village is in the low rise section. Very clean and has been going through room upgrades. Being at Divi Village means you will be able to use facilities at the other Divi low rise resorts. That means many specialty restaurants and 3 different buffets. You will also be closer to Oranjestad.

Divi Phoenix and Marriott Aruba Ocean Club are part of the high rise section (on opposite ends). There's no sharing of facilities even between Divi Phoenix and the other Divi low rise resorts. The high rise section is closer to an area that offers shopping and several offsite restaurants. But there is a nice walkway that runs between all the high rise resorts that's located between the resorts and the beach. You'll find several vendors and it's a lovely walk in the evening. We have stayed at the RIU Palace (also high rise). Very nice. But the rooms lack washer, dryer, and kitchen facilities.

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's much nicer, as Marriott locations usually are... also much more expensive. Our exchanges (thru RCI) into the ones mentioned in my prior post were under $1000 for the week, including the points cost and exchange fees. Of course there are additional fees at check-in...pretty much the standard for Caribbean resorts.

If cost is not a factor in your decision, Marriott is the way to go.

We will also be at the Divi Phoenix Beach Resort in June via RCI exchange with all-in costs (cost per point to exchange + exchange fee + additional fees/surcharges) at under $950 for the week. There is a Marriott Aruba Surf Club for the same dates on Redweek with a rental price listing of $1750. Looking forward to staying at the Divi, and will put the extra $800 towards food and shopping.

Mark

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for your comments so far. Keep them coming!

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Ren was fully renovated in 2016. Beautiful rooms and we liked the location. Down town, walking distance to plenty of restaurants and not too far of a drive from the rest of the island. Not crowded at all, unlike the high rise area and their private island is really nice.

We own a condo at Oceania on Eagle Beach and had dinner lunch at Moomba Beach one day and Nois Clubhuis another day. While that beach is really nice (maybe not as nice as Eagle Beach), it was PACKED.

We also stayed at the Divi Golf which was good. Nice rooms, walk across the street to the beach and not overly crowded there either. We also stayed at La Cabana, which was OK. We wrote reviews of all our trips in the Marketplace.

For what it's worth, I'd stay at the Ren.

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Divi Phoenix is the best. See my review in Resort Reviews section.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
I am an owner at LaCabana and can promise you it's a wonderful resort. In addition, LaCabana is on Eagle beach, which in my opinion is 10 times better than Palm beach where the high rise resorts are located.

Costa Linda is on the same gorgeous beach and I have never heard anything bad about it. I have been going to Aruba for 12 years and am familiar with most resorts. I also own at the Divi Phoenix, Playa Linda and Marriott. Although the rooms at LaCabana are not luxurious, they were renovated a couple of years ago and are clean and comfortable. The studios are lovely and have a full kitchen. I have never stayed at Costa Linda but wouldn't hesitate to.

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Phoenix and Marriott Aruba Ocean Club are part of the high rise section (on opposite ends). There's no sharing of facilities even between Divi Phoenix and the other Divi low rise resorts. The high rise section is closer to an area that offers shopping and several offsite restaurants. But there is a nice walkway that runs between all the high rise resorts that's located between the resorts and the beach. You'll find several vendors and it's a lovely walk in the evening. We have stayed at the RIU Palace (also high rise). Very nice. But the rooms lack washer, dryer, and kitchen facilities.

So there is a walkway to go from Divi Phoenix to Hilton? Someone told me the only way to get there is to walk on the beach.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
I know from the RIU Palace the paved walkway I mentioned reached all the way to the Marriotts (which would include going past the Hilton) and to at least the RIU Antillas resort in the opposite direction. Looking at the satellite map from Google it appears that walkway also reaches to Divi Phoenix.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So there is a walkway to go from Divi Phoenix to Hilton? Someone told me the only way to get there is to walk on the beach.

There is a walkway from Divi all the way to the Holiday Inn (which is past the Hilton)

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
No. It's between the beach and the resorts. But you could make the walk on the street as well. A bit more boring in my opinion, though.

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No. It's between the beach and the resorts. But you could make the walk on the street as well. A bit more boring in my opinion, though.

I've never been there, so please have patience lol. But, What do you mean "between the beach and the resorts?

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Sorry, Mjasp, did not mean to be rude.

All the resorts have beach front. But they also all have a pool and grounds behind their main buildings which face the beach. This walkway, which is paved, has beach on one side and the resort grounds w/pools on the other. You'll also find some vendors and standalone restaurants along the path as well. At night you'll find that temperatures have become a bit more comfortable and the walkway will be lit (a bit differently at each resort) making it a fairly romantic setting. You can stop for a bite to eat or a drink at different points along the way as you walk. When we stayed in the high rise section at the RIU Palace my wife & I took a walk there every evening. One of our fondest memories of Aruba.

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry, Mjasp, did not mean to be rude.

All the resorts have beach front. But they also all have a pool and grounds behind their main buildings which face the beach. This walkway, which is paved, has beach on one side and the resort grounds w/pools on the other. You'll also find some vendors and standalone restaurants along the path as well. At night you'll find that temperatures have become a bit more comfortable and the walkway will be lit (a bit differently at each resort) making it a fairly romantic setting. You can stop for a bite to eat or a drink at different points along the way as you walk. When we stayed in the high rise section at the RIU Palace my wife & I took a walk there every evening. One of our fondest memories of Aruba.

You weren't rude at all! Thank you so much for explaining it to me, I didn't know the hotels were that close that they have a walkway to each resort. That is great and again I thank you for explaining it to me :) Now if I stay at Divi Phoenix, I can walk to the area where all the restaurants are, from what I hear is by the Holiday Inn.

Pappy Mentos

Reaction score
To be clear, the walkway being referred to is only in the high rise area from Divi Phoenix up to the Marriott property. Below Divi to Eagle Beach, one would need to walk along the road to get to Eagle Beach and the resorts like LaCabana.

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To be clear, the walkway being referred to is only in the high rise area from Divi Phoenix up to the Marriott property. Below Divi to Eagle Beach, one would need to walk along the road to get to Eagle Beach and the resorts like LaCabana.

But it would go from Marriott and Divi to the Hilton/Holiday Inn, correct?

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
That walkway would go to all the resorts between Divi Phoenix and Marriott that have beach front along Palm Beach. Those 2 resorts are at opposite ends of the beach front used by high rise resorts. In the image below you can clearly see a grey line pointed to by the arrow. That's the walkway we've been talking about. Just to the left of the "Palm Beach Police Visibility Team" is Divi Phoenix. That line/walkway runs all along Palm Beach from Divi Phoenix to the Marriott properties in same orientation (between beach & resort property). The Hilton and Holiday Inn properties are along that walkway as are the RUI properties, Hyatt, Playa Linda and others.

upload_2018-3-3_9-42-47.png

Reaction score
I tend to prefer Eagle Beach to avoid the crowds and be sure of getting a palapa for shade. Lately I’ve been partial to Paradise Beach Villas. It’s a smaller resort, quiet, and palapas always available. Units have been updated and are spacious compared to the Aruba Beach Club (which I like, but it’s a studio). I was disappointed with the Renaissance - very small compared to PBV.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I tend to prefer Eagle Beach to avoid the crowds and be sure of getting a palapa for shade. Lately I’ve been partial to Paradise Beach Villas. It’s a smaller resort, quiet, and palapas always available. Units have been updated and are spacious compared to the Aruba Beach Club (which I like, but it’s a studio). I was disappointed with the Renaissance - very small compared to PBV.

We loved our large, spacious 1-BR at Paradise Beach Villas last year, right across from Eagle Beach. It was easy to get an exchange thru Platinum Interchange, and the staff was great - they gave us an oceanfront view (corner with huge balcony overlooking both pool and ocean) on request for a special b-day. It's next to La Cabana, not as large a property and not as set back from the ocean. It was our first trip to Aruba, and would go back to this resort in a Cincinnati second.

Dmconn1

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Costa Linda 3 weeks
We own 3 weeks at Costa Linda and love it there. The beach is gorgeous and the beach attendants are wonderful. The units are all updated, with new furniture placed in all of the units this year. There are many activities during the day but very quiet at night.