• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Will this Covid spread continue to level down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the US, my guess would be about 50 million. I base this on my presumption that the fatality rate is around .003%, the deaths are about 150K, and the testing numbers leading me to believe that about 15% of the country has had it.
Hard to justify the fatality rate when NJ already has already had .178% of their entire population die.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hard to justify the fatality rate when NJ already has already had .178% of their entire population die.
Does that include the motorcycle accidents?

grupp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not recall any "expert" explaining in March that this is where we would be in late July. I think the "experts" were just kicking the can down the road and hoping for a summer season remission like the flu.

Although they never really came out in said it, we may be right were some of the experts thought we would be at this point. They originally said that this is not going away until we reach heard immunity or have an effective vaccine, neither of which were ever going to happen in 2-3 months. I believe the first estimates on heard immunity was around 60%. The original reason for the stay at home orders were to "flatten the curve" not to erratic the virus. This would spread out the number of sick people and not overwhelm our health care system. Somewhere along the way things seem to change and we began to expect some type of different result, which is not realistic in my opinion.

We may have succeeded somewhat in that goal, although there are several areas currently going through some tough times, most of the country currently has manageable numbers. Currently, the % of deaths are down as we understand who is most at risk and seem to be a better job of protecting those people and hopefully that trend will continue.

As a society we can't stay locked down indefinitely, although people that are in high risk categories may have no choice. No matter what we do, this is not going away anytime soon and people are going to continue to get sick and sadly some will die. Hopefully, we can find a way to work together and make our way through this as best we can. Usually, tragedies such as this bring us together as a nation, but this one has divided us in many ways and there is plenty of blame to go around as to why that is the case.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Which we largely did for the 14 days initially presented, and then the "30 Days to Slow the Spread" and then 2 weeks beyond that, while politicians kicked the can down the road.

Then it became undeniable that Covid-19 could not be "contained" and the economy could not be shutdown until there was a vaccine.

And that is where we are now, essentially back at where we were in March; 90% of the US population vulnerable to Covid-19 now, instead of 94-96% in March.

Your response indicates you didn’t comprehend my post.

We can lower the transmission rate. We simply don’t have the will to do so, which almost every other country has done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
The latest I hear is, if everyone washes hands, wear a mask, social distance , we can be much lower in cases.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The latest I hear is, if everyone washes hands, wear a mask, social distance , we can be much lower in cases.
I hear that as well. The problem is, not everyone will do that.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

It’s so simple... and we are utterly failing at this. It’s a huge indictment on our society, especially when compared to other countries. Every day I’m reading the news (and certain comments on TUG) and just shaking my head in disbelief. This has nothing to do with anyone’s opinion...our numbers are rising so much that those who lead are so scared of the numbers that they are now hiding the info! It’s just a shameful time we are living through in America. Very depressing.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Signs should read no shoes,no shirt, no mask, no service, simple
They do. And still people refuse to wear masks, and some throw tantrums, pull guns, or do other disgusting things.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just came home from my semi-annual function test and meeting with my pulmonologist. The good news, my progressive lung disease is better, I'm back to where I tested in 2014! WooHoo! So I asked if I should consider a Covid diagnosis a death sentence. He said, "Absolutely not!" If I present at the FIRST evidence of symptoms, I'd have an 85% chance of walking out. Not a walk-in-the-park, but survivable. He said the numbers we see on TV every night undercount the 'real' number of infections by between 4X & 10X. For each person diagnosed as positive, there arre spouses, children, siblings and kids in the household as well as an 'orbit' of friends and acquaintances we all have who have been exposed and may be contagious while being asymptomatic and untested.

The meeting with the doc- Our ONLY pulmonologist- made me feel hopeful, but also encouraged to cover, mask, wash hands and live life as protected as possible.

Jim

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I just came home from my semi-annual function test and meeting with my pulmonologist. The good news, my progressive lung disease is better, I'm back to where I tested in 2014! WooHoo! So I asked if I should consider a Covid diagnosis a death sentence. He said, "Absolutely not!" If I present at the FIRST evidence of symptoms, I'd have an 85% chance of walking out. Not a walk-in-the-park, but survivable. He said the numbers we see on TV every night undercount the 'real' number of infections by between 4X & 10X. For each person diagnosed as positive, there arre spouses, children, siblings and kids in the household as well as an 'orbit' of friends and acquaintances we all have who have been exposed and may be contagious while being asymptomatic and untested.

The meeting with the doc- Our ONLY pulmonologist- made me feel hopeful, but also encouraged to cover, mask, wash hands and live life as protected as possible.

Jim
Common sense is a disappearing thing. Stay safe and healthy. Glad you got a good report from pulmonologist!

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, much to my disappointment and surprise I keep hearing of friends and acquaintances getting COVID in and around Bonneville county and the Lab employees. Including the INL director in charge of the INL. Keep safe. I am sure you will.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Jim, much to my disappointment and surprise I keep hearing of friends and acquaintances getting COVID in and around Bonneville county and the Lab employees. Including the INL director in charge of the INL. Keep safe. I am sure you will.

Don't worry too much. I know over 100+ people that have tested positive for covid 19 and a few that actually had symptoms. The people that had symptoms had a range from flu to loosing their sense of taste and smell. My mom had it in the nursing home she seems to stuck in. She is about 85 and has recovered.

This is our county case count as of today. Pretty much every one that has passed away from covid in our area had pre-existing conditions with some exceptions in the 30 - 60 ranges. We are still in phase 1.

Bill

Updated July 29, 2020 at 4:10 pm

Age RangeCase Count PercentageDeceased
0-19136513%0
20-29227922%1
30-39193519%3
40-49162816%9
50-59143514%14
60-698448%26
70-794414%52
80+3984%89
TOTAL10,325100%194

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't worry too much. I know over 100+ people that have tested positive for covid 19 and a few that actually had symptoms. The people that had symptoms had a range from flu to loosing their sense of taste and smell. My mom had it in the nursing home she seems to stuck in. She is about 85 and has recovered.

This is our county case count as of today. Pretty much every one that has passed away from covid in our area had pre-existing conditions with some exceptions in the 30 - 60 ranges. We are still in phase 1.

Bill

Updated July 29, 2020 at 4:10 pm

Age RangeCase CountPercentageDeceased
0-19136513%0
20-29227922%1
30-39193519%3
40-49162816%9
50-59143514%14
60-698448%26
70-794414%52
80+3984%89
TOTAL10,325100%194
DW is severely immune deficient. Take IV immunoglobulin subcutaneously weekly. Her body can't manufacture immunity. That's our dilemma.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
DW is severely immune deficient. Take IV immunoglobulin subcutaneously weekly. Her body can't manufacture immunity. That's our dilemma.
Wishing Dana all the very best! You guys take good care!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Yup, that is a problemo. What do you do ? Is it just avoiding every one ?

Bill

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Excellent news article from UCSF on Covid mechanisms that is well written and relatively easy to understand — even @DeniseM ;)
(Certainly better that The Cell article that I linked previously)
Bottom-Line: ACE2 receptors continue to look like a culprit for disease progression
(btw - looks like IL-6 targeted therapies were a bust...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
FOR THOSE WHO FOLLOW GRAPHS:
A month ago someone on TUG (not naming names) saw that deaths were down (in his graph) and predicted that they would stay down.
I disagreed and said "show me a graph in a month"......well here it is.
We're in a mess, and it's only getting worse.....People are not adhering to safe practices, and that is the reason.

1596385879491.png

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
FOR THOSE WHO FOLLOW GRAPHS:
A month ago someone on TUG (not naming names) saw that deaths were down (in his graph) and predicted that they would stay down.
I disagreed and said "show me a graph in a month"......well here it is.
We're in a mess, and it's only getting worse.....People are not adhering to safe practices, and that is the reason.

View attachment 24394
Covid Deaths are a lagging always a lagging indicator!

Reactions: jme

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
For those who still think masks only provide partial, or no, protection, please watch this video. It’s somewhat entertaining, so many of you may enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.