• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Westin Resort Kicking Off $12M Renovation

From StJ Tradewinds:
http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com...8581-westin-resort-kicking-off-12m-renovation

The Westin Resort and Villas St. John is getting a $12 million facelift starting this week.

The “major refurbishment of existing hotel space,” according to a Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. press release, will include a “complete refresh of the 96 beach and poolside hotel rooms.”

Renovations will focus on both the exterior and interior of hotel room buildings, explained Westin General Manager Mike Ryan.

“What we are doing is a total exterior renovation, including new roofs, siding, windows, and doors,” he said. “We are doing upgrades to the interiors with new carpeting, paint, and soft goods. So it’s a pretty good renovation for those buildings.”

Work is expected to continue through the second week of March 2014, and care will be taken to ensure the impact on guests is minimal.

“We’ll take a building out of service, start working on it, then take a second building out, and by the time we’re ready to take a third building out, the first building should be completed, so we’ve always got inventory,” said Ryan.

Entire buildings will be shut down and refurbished, so guests will not be staying in buildings where work is underway.

In addition to the hotel buildings’ facelift, the Westin will also undergo renovations to its infrastructure in an effort to prevent flooding, which caused damage to the resort during Tropical Storm Otto.

“We’ll be doing work on stormwater management, upgrading sanitary lines, and other needed work like that,” said Ryan. “The stormwater management is to help prevent issues in the future.”

“Not only does this refurbishment ensure an even higher quality of accommodations and services for our guests, but we are also pleased to continue our commitment to the island,” Ryan said in the Starwood release.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
So I guess this answers the question as to whether the hotel will continue to operate. Previous reports about expanding the timeshare section seemed to indicate that the entire resort might be converted to timeshares.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I guess this answers the question as to whether the hotel will continue to operate. Previous reports about expanding the timeshare section seemed to indicate that the entire resort might be converted to timeshares.

There is a "major refurbishment of existing hotel space." Nothing is said about whether the refurbished existing hotel space will continue to be used for hotel space or converted to timeshares in the Starwood announcement or in the news article. Nothing contradicts the statements made in the quarterly call that the entire hotel space will be converted. I think it is still an open question - at least. Salty

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if it goes totally timeshare *W can
  • continue to own TS units and rent them through the *W website
  • will obtain use weeks through SO > SP conversions
  • will obtain use of unbooked weeks x days out
So just like WLM which is 100% TS a hotel operation is likely to continue to exist.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is a "major refurbishment of existing hotel space." Nothing is said about whether the refurbished existing hotel space will continue to be used for hotel space or converted to timeshares in the Starwood announcement or in the news article. Nothing contradicts the statements made in the quarterly call that the entire hotel space will be converted. I think it is still an open question - at least. Salty

I don't know. They usually always distinguish hotel space from timeshare space by referring to the former as "rooms" or "suites" and the latter as "villas." The WSJ website uses the same nomenclature.

A "complete refresh of the 96 beach and poolside rooms" sure sounds like they are giving existing hotel rooms (buildings 10-16) a makeover. If they were going to knock down walls, which I assume would be necessary to make room for living rooms, kitchens and washer/dryers, surely that wouldn't properly be called a "refresh."

Acc to their website, they currently have 175 rooms and suites and 146 villas. If they convert buildings 21-23 into timeshares, it would make sense that that would leave 96 hotel rooms in Building 10-16 -- that's an even 16 rooms/villas per building.

http://www.omvillasstjohn.com/images/westin_map.gif

P.S. I just called the hotel directly, and the person who answered said that it would remain a hotel. For what that's worth (no disrespect to the clerk).

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
LisaR - once again we are on the same page...

Mike Ryan stated. “What we are doing is a total exterior renovation, including new roofs, siding, windows, and doors,” he said. “We are doing upgrades to the interiors with new carpeting, paint, and soft goods. So it’s a pretty good renovation for those buildings.”

Nowhere does it mention putting in Kitchens or such (which is major) - and only mentions carpet, paint and soft goods for the interior. Does that sound like a TS conversion? Highly doubtful unless they plan to have TSs w/o kitchens. Remember when they first discussed BV (pre-construction), they converted the hotel buildings and made them into self-contained TS villas (kitchens, etc) and were clear in their intent.

The article does not mention which specific buildings under discussion - there are multiple buildings (see WSJ map) that can be converted or just updated:
B24-B27 are in the BV phase - and still in Sales, with more villas coming on-line (currently being held back) as sales continue.

B21-B23 could be the ones that are potentially being converted to TSs. IMO - this is the most likely scenerio. What is unknown is whether these will be BV or their own HOA. During my WSJ Owners Update - the Sales person said that likely they will be there own HOA because BV's CCRs do not allow for additional building (of course - I take that with a grain of salt - but that doesn't mean there is not truth to this...)

B10-B16 are likely the ones being discussed in the above article. These surround the pool area - and in need of serious updating based on the outside appearance and hotel reviews.

I am taking wagers that Mike Ryan is discussing B10-B16 in this article, and they will continue as hotel rooms for the medium term at least - any takers?

Before considering making me a bet... - there is this from the WSJ website...

Resort Advisory
Important information that may affect your stay

Planned Pool Renovation: September 23 – December 18, 2013
There is a high probability that the main pool will be closed September 23 to December 18, 2013, as additional upgrades to the pool deck are now being considered. We anticipate the final scheduling to be approved in late August or September. Guest will have access to the resort’s beach along Great Cruz Bay.

Refurbishment Information: August 12, 2013 – November 2014
Beginning August 12, 2013, the resort will undergo refurbishment of the hotel guest rooms located by main pool, as well as to the resort’s common areas, including the conference center, main lobby and restaurant outlets. The schedule of our renovation enhancements is on a rolling timeline, so as to minimize disruption to resort guests. The resort will remain open and fully operational throughout the refurbishment.

Last edited:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
At least the pool will be done well in advance to our May trip.

I am reading into the notice as what it is.....Hotel Renovation to those units along the pool. They are in dire need of some serious TLC.

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked question about the work during my owners update. Here is what "the closer" told me:

-21, 22, & 23 will be converted to TS units

-all of the remaining hotel buildings, about 90 rooms I think he said, will get an exterior make over at the same time

-the patio around the resort pool, but not the interior of the pool, will be redone

-work will start in late September or early October and should be done before we return next August

It was a TS salesman and his lips were moving, so no doubt some part if that is a lie.

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
Swim up bar???

I asked question about the work during my owners update. Here is what "the closer" told me:

-21, 22, & 23 will be converted to TS units

-all of the remaining hotel buildings, about 90 rooms I think he said, will get an exterior make over at the same time

-the patio around the resort pool, but not the interior of the pool, will be redone

-work will start in late September or early October and should be done before we return next August

It was a TS salesman and his lips were moving, so no doubt some part if that is a lie.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin,

I would give you all of mine, but I only got 1 from SMV and it broke.:doh:

United broke one of my mine off, I put in a lost/found claim thingie, and they actually found it... :D

Luckily it came off and stuck in the machinery at that same airport, and not some intermediate stop.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
For anyone that might be interested, just cancelled my reservation for Sat-Sat, President's Week, 3 bedroom villa for 196k SO (February 15-22).

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
:ponder:

Im going to try to trade in for 9 days around the end of May. Looking at the Starwood "beta" system now for 8months out and also the end of May, I am seeing (low inventory) 2 bdrms. I have never seen a 1 bdrm listed. these are all in BV. Will this inventory be different when I call in to make my reservation or is the on-line system pretty true inventory. (granted I know it can be gone in a minute) I would be fine with a 2 bdrm, not much more options wise than just using my full 95,700 so thats not a problem.

Also, for the experts, pros and cons on the Lofts vs regular two bedroom as these are the same amount of staroptions.

I havent seen anything show up for the Hillside units, so I don't think I'll have to worry about that. :)

Thanks,

lee

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
:ponder:

Im going to try to trade in for 9 days around the end of May. Looking at the Starwood "beta" system now for 8months out and also the end of May, I am seeing (low inventory) 2 bdrms. I have never seen a 1 bdrm listed. these are all in BV. Will this inventory be different when I call in to make my reservation or is the on-line system pretty true inventory. (granted I know it can be gone in a minute) I would be fine with a 2 bdrm, not much more options wise than just using my full 95,700 so thats not a problem.

Also, for the experts, pros and cons on the Lofts vs regular two bedroom as these are the same amount of staroptions.

I havent seen anything show up for the Hillside units, so I don't think I'll have to worry about that. :)

Thanks,

lee

There are no 1-bedrooms in the Bay Vista section, they are all located in the Virgin Grand (hillside) section.

The 2-bedroom lofts are huge. The loft is 1650 sq ft, sleeps 10 vs 1210 sq ft, sleeps 8.

I saw hillside units available over the weekend.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Im going to try to trade in for 9 days around the end of May. Looking at the Starwood "beta" system now for 8months out and also the end of May, I am seeing (low inventory) 2 bdrms. I have never seen a 1 bdrm listed. these are all in BV.

FYI - Checked with Starwood. Currently, there are 3-bedroom, 2-bedroom, 2-bedroom loft, 2-bedroom lock-offs available.

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I guess Im just shocked that there would be "any" inventory left with how well loved it is. Maybe when I call the 28th at 8:00 there will be a 1 bedroom in Hillside?. But I might just take a 2 bdrm from BV for the location, closer to the main pool..

lee

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where is parking for the BV villas? I see two pads between 24-25 and 26-27. Is that them?

lee

No. Parking for the BV villas is by the tennis courts and O'Connor car rental. No guest parking exists near the BV villas.

The areas between 24-25 and 26-27 are used for parking and turn-around for the various housekeeping, maintenance and guest shuttles. Cars are generally not allowed on those narrow, blacktop paths. Salty

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jarta, Now i understand all the complaints.

Oh, well. We will only have a car part of the time there anyway. And I guess that what the guest shuttles are for. :rolleyes:

lee

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to put things in perspective, walking from the end of building 5 at WKORV-N to the parking lot can be further and slower than walking to the WSJ parking lot from the BV buildings. There is just a little more of a hill in St. John. You would certainly be closer to your car at the VG/Hillside buildings, but in the grand scheme of things it is not that far from BV to the parking lot.

When I was there, I preferred the newer buildings and decor of BV to the parking convenience at VG. I'd be very happy at either location, though.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think both locations are very nice, and getting an exchange into either one would be great. I wouldn't worry too much about whether the location you didn't get would be better.

I got an exchange for a 1BR in VG this past April. When I got there, they had upgraded us to a 2BR at BV. My wife and I debated where we would prefer to stay, and ultimately decided we liked BV best. It is quite a ways from VG down to the main part of the hotel, the beach, restaurant, and activities.

We also found that after 3 days we didn't really need the car anymore. We turned it in early (an advantage of renting from O'Connor instead of on St. Thomas). We used the local "taxis" for a couple of days and also went on all-day excursions. BV was much more convenient for that.

It was just 2 of us, so the taxi was actually cheaper for going to the beach and back. If there had been more people, a rental would have been more economical. We figured out what we really liked the first 3 days we had the car, and then just went to spend the day at our favorite beaches with the taxi.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
With 3 little kids, the parking issue was a pain, but since we used a lot of the resort amenities, we preferred the location of BV. Plus, if you have stuff you need to get to or from the car, shuttle requests only took a few minutes to fulfill. Without stuff to carry (and the kids!), the walk is not that bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.