• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Learned A New Trick This Week

I thought I would pass along something I learned this week.

We are having trouble getting return reward tickets from STT on our checkout day, which may force us into spending 3 or 4 nights extra. While contemplating renting a whole additional week at Marriott Frenchman's Cove on St. Thomas, it was suggested on the Marriott board that I check out http://www.vacationpointexchange.com

Marriott has a point system where their owners can book individual nights at any resort in system. The points are frequently monetized at a rate around 65 cents per point. Long and short, I joined for free, sent a couple of PMs, and I quickly had multiple offers for less then $300 a night to make me a reservation in a 2 BR / 2 BA unit at Frenchman's Cove.

If you are not a Marriott owner the seller has to make the reservation for you. (If you own Marriott, you probably already know about this.) Not everyone I contacted was willing to do that...most want to just quickly and cleanly sell points. But still...in four hours I found multiple people willing to hook me up for a couple extra nights.

fine print: this isn't an add. I don't own Marriott or the website. Use it at your own risk. I just thought it was good info for WSJ folks who might want to add a day or two in STT on the front or back end.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
New WSJ Phase - Coral Vista Villas

From WSJ/SVN email today -

Introducing Coral Vista Villas
Buildings 21, 22 and 23 in the lower hillside section will be converted to 54 spacious studio and two-bedroom villas overlooking Great Cruz Bay. What you can expect:

• Stylish and contemporary furnishings
• Sales begin this October
• Construction to begin this December
• Occupancy will begin January 2015 with final completion expected April 2015
• Once completed, there will be 200 vacation ownership villas at the resort.

Resort Enhancements
With the guest experience at the forefront, Starwood Hotels and Resorts, Inc. is funding a renovation to enhance your resort. The project will follow a rolling timeline to ensure a continued level of comfort. Updates include:

• New main resort pool deck with more seating
• Refresh of 96 poolside rooms, meeting space, watersports area and WestinWORKOUT® facilities
• Updates to lobby, dockside check-in, airport lounge and dining facilities
• Solar panel installation

It’s an exciting time at The Westin St. John Resort & Villas. As an Owner here, you’re the first to know about an extensive renovation project that will solidify your resort as one of the premier destinations in the Caribbean. I am pleased to announce that we will be converting select hotel rooms to villas for the new Coral Vista Villas phase. Additionally, a variety of enhancements are being made throughout the entire resort for your future enjoyment.

We appreciate your patience during this journey to elevate the resort experience. Please look for additional information in the next couple of days.

Last edited:

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
And this is what we have to look forward to on our upcoming 2 week vacation for Weeks 44 and 45 in Bldg. 34:

1. Main pool CLOSED
2. Hot Tub CLOSED
3. Snorkels CLOSED
4. Ferry Dock CLOSED…WHAT ABOUT EXTRA SHOPPING TRIPS TO ST THOMAS??
5. All common areas including restaurant outlets, main lobby and conference center CLOSED
6. We will have to travel back and forth between the Cruz Bay ferry terminal
7. OPEN-The actual Beach AND The Beach Café & Bar (Gee thanks)

And for our inconvenience.....25,000 Star Options (which I don't need) but they will be charging the same price for the RT ferry. I have been assured non Virgin Grand hillside owners will NOT be allowed to use our pool. If I sound annoyed....I am. Last year was the first time in 5 years we were not inconvenienced by something going on at the resort that affected our vacation. So here we go again!!:wall:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
And this is what we have to look forward to on our upcoming 2 week vacation for Weeks 44 and 45 in Bldg. 34:

1. Main pool CLOSED
2. Hot Tub CLOSED
3. Snorkels CLOSED
4. Ferry Dock CLOSED…WHAT ABOUT EXTRA SHOPPING TRIPS TO ST THOMAS??
5. All common areas including restaurant outlets, main lobby and conference center CLOSED
6. We will have to travel back and forth between the Cruz Bay ferry terminal
7. OPEN-The actual Beach AND The Beach Café & Bar (Gee thanks)

And for our inconvenience.....25,000 Star Options (which I don't need) but they will be charging the same price for the RT ferry. I have been assured non Virgin Grand hillside owners will NOT be allowed to use our pool. If I sound annoyed....I am. Last year was the first time in 5 years we were not inconvenienced by something going on at the resort that affected our vacation. So here we go again!!:wall:

Yikes - I did not realize all of those would be closed at once - that really sucks. I am more sympathetic to the BV people using the Hillside pools during this time of renovation (probably because I am not there) - but I do agree that BV doesn't pay for these pools (we do) and therefore should not (normally) be allowed to use them. I have planned to write Phil about this as I heard it occurring during our last visit (groups of BV folks invading our pool and using our BBQs).

Ferry Dock closed? More reason to rent a car on StT and take car barge over... ;)

Not to add to the grief, but all of the NPS beaches are shut down as long as the Gov't is shut down. I hope it is resolved by Weeks 44-45, but given the [situation in DC] - it may go on for a while.
[ ] = not saying what I really want to say since it will get stricken by the TUG Mods (like on the TUG Lounge) - but feel free to look at my comment in the following link concerning the NPS beach closures in StJ

http://newsofstjohn.com/2013/10/01/government-shutdown-effects/

Essentially all of the worthwhile beaches on StJ are closed, including the adjacent waters...

I thought they were giving 25K SPs - not SOs (how would they credit SOs?)

Last edited:

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yikes - I did not realize all of those would be closed at once - that really sucks. I am more sympathetic to the BV people using the Hillside pools during this time of renovation (probably because I am not there) - but I do agree that BV doesn't pay for these pools (we do) and therefore should not (normally) be allowed to use them. I have planned to write Phil about this as I heard it occurring during our last visit (groups of BV folks invading our pool and using our BBQs).

Ferry Dock closed? More reason to rent a car on StT and take car barge over... ;)

Not to add to the grief, but all of the NPS beaches are shut down as long as the Gov't is shut down. I hope it is resolved by Weeks 44-45, but given the [situation in DC] - it may go on for a while.
[ ] = not saying what I really want to say since it will get stricken by the TUG Mods (like on the TUG Lounge) - but feel free to look at my comment in the following link concerning the NPS beach closures in StJ

http://newsofstjohn.com/2013/10/01/government-shutdown-effects/

Essentially all of the worthwhile beaches on StJ are closed, including the adjacent waters...

I thought they were giving 25K SPs - not SOs (how would they credit SOs?)

From Suzanne Clark, VP of Owner Services:

As a thank you for your patience during these enhancements, you will receive a special gift of 25,000 StarOptions for future use at any Starwood Vacation NetworkSM villa resort.

I received bits and pieces of this renovation starting back in June. SVO and WSJ were very clever in delivering this information to owners affected by this renovation. I was also assured that they would have Security up at the Hillside Pools to make sure that only those owners were using them. Not really sure how they are going to enforce this. It should pretty much be a ghost town by the beach. Would anyone really want to rent a hotel room there during this time? They are really playing it up saying they will have lots of fun activities at the beach ;)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
From Suzanne Clark, VP of Owner Services:

As a thank you for your patience during these enhancements, you will receive a special gift of 25,000 StarOptions for future use at any Starwood Vacation NetworkSM villa resort.

I received bits and pieces of this renovation starting back in June. SVO and WSJ were very clever in delivering this information to owners affected by this renovation. I was also assured that they would have Security up at the Hillside Pools to make sure that only those owners were using them. Not really sure how they are going to enforce this. It should pretty much be a ghost town by the beach. Would anyone really want to rent a hotel room there during this time? They are really playing it up saying they will have lots of fun activities at the beach ;)

At least 25K SOs is worth more than 25K SPs - but not much if you can't use them.

As an Owner who (so far) is not affected by the renovations - I am glad they are doing these - especially if Starwood is paying for the Resort Enhancements and not the VGV HOA (if true).

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Wow - if this happened to me, I would cancel the trip.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I am sure WSJ knew about these renovations last year. I am just not happy the way they "timed" the emails and what "might" be affected. It was a couple of weeks ago I realized this. We will miss the Hot Tub the most!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I am sure WSJ knew about these renovations last year. I am just not happy the way they "timed" the emails and what "might" be affected. It was a couple of weeks ago I realized this. We will miss the Hot Tub the most!

Aw man, that would really stink. So sorry! The only good news is that everything should be refurbished next year.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Aw man, that would really stink. So sorry! The only good news is that everything should be refurbished next year.

Thanks Lisa. Even though we go on about 4-5 timeshare trips a year, this is our only 2 week trip AND the one I look forward to the most. I am just surprised they didn't do things in stages instead of closing everything at the same time. And what about all the employees that will be laid off because of this? I pay the same maintenance fees as the owners who own super high season. My weeks 44 and 45 (first 2 weeks in November) are Platinum weeks. It will be great when it is done. WSJ Facebook page is promoting "specials" at the hotel during this time....really?? I not only feel bad for those owners in Bay Vista but others who have rented from owners. They will be in for a big surprise if the owners have not relayed all the emails about the renovation :(

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
WSJ VGV StarOption and StarPoint increased for 2015

WSJ VGV just increased the SOs and SPs for 2015 usage

5bfc34c478383e197773c5348e0ffd0f_zpse542bc8d.jpg

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Nah.....Most of our time is spent off-property vs spending time at the actual resort. I would still recommend going, unless you spend a lot of time at the resort.

North side beaches are closed due to Gov't shutdown - however, this is being challenged by people living on StJ... another story.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
New BV StarOption and StarPoint chart for 2015

New BV WSJ SO and SP chart for 2015

f53b31c919118be9e05c0efe8db378c9_zpsd8e0f057.jpg

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
2014 WSJ-VGV MFs - Proposed

Studio: $1430.00
1Bd: $1906.74
2Bd TH: $2383.47 [2013: $2405.94]
2Bd Prem: $2860.02
3Bd Pool: $2860.22

Last edited:

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Studio: $1430.00
1Bd: $1906.74
2Bd TH: $2383.47 2-Bd [2013: $2405.94]
2Bd Prem: $2860.02
3Bd Pool: $2860.22

Where did you find this info? Thanks.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
2014 WSJ BV - Proposed budget of operating expenses

Condominium Common Maintenance & Reserve

2 bedroom - $679.98
2 bedroom loft - $773.06
3 bedroom - $819.61

Vacation Ownership Maintenance & Reserve

2 bedroom - $1087.22
2 bedroom loft - $1236.05
3 bedroom - $1310.47

Total

2 bedroom - $1767.20
2 bedroom loft - $2009.11
3 bedroom - $2130.08

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Wow - I guess extra MFs for VGV go to the BBQ/Pool area at ~$100/day...

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The BV fees also include the property tax. I got an e-mail several weeks ago saying to ignore any tax bills for BV since it is paid by the HOA.

I didn't realize how much difference there was in the MF between these two sections. I'm debating now whether to convert my EOY unit to EY.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Currently - the property tax for our Wk23-24 2Bd TH villa is ~$130/year per week (1999 levels) - this could rise as high as ~$300 in the near future (hopefully not, but like Maui - taxation w/o representation makes it challenging to not get screwed...)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Yikes - eBay sale of 3 weeks (20, 21, 22) for a 3Bd pool villa for ~$11K total as a Buy It Now (or Best Offer) - all closing costs paid - only SOs for 2014 as Owner did not fix weeks in time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370925043036#ht_3223wt_1234

I am not the seller, but someone looking for 3 weeks in a pool villa during a great time of year - quite a deal if one can handle MFs and property taxes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.