• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, today I am seeing much more options for the end of May and more into June than I even saw yesterday? My earliest day that I was looking at for 9 days started on May 28th, now I can see inventory starting dates in June. Why the jump in inventory? Owners depositing? :shrug:

My question, is it better to book starting with a week end day or in the middle of the week. Does it matter? Will it make a difference in where we are put? :ponder:

Thanks

lee

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Why the jump in inventory? Owners depositing?" Perhaps. Could also be some home resort owner who doesn't want to spend the money for airfare next year or who had guests or family members who did the same and it's a cancellation - not a deposit. Also, nothing at WSJ is a lockoff. Once a reservation is made, there is no ability to drop the lockoff portion. You have to use all of your unit/week.

Most late May-June periods I checked today are listed as "low availability." Most are for overlapping periods of time. There may only be 1 week of vacancy for each type of "available" unit. Once a reservation is made (only home resort reservations can be made until much later this month), all the availability for the combination of periods may be used up.

Someone who has not used their home resort reservation of a 2-br loft in BV will probably call about the 2-br loft that sleeps 10 and is available for all 3 check-in days (May 30 and 31 and June 1). I doubt that prime unit will be available by the time StarOptions can be used. I know that 7-day home resort reservation searches are made using the availability finder. I do it myself. Salty

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
or perhaps... the SVO/SVN database is poorly structured and linked and is archaic, and updating methods suck because of their archaic database.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
or perhaps fixed / fixed owners not confirming in time or releasing the fixed week.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
or perhaps fixed / fixed owners not confirming in time or releasing the fixed week.

Fix/Fix villas are pre-reserved and owners must confirm by 10 months out (not 8 months) - 10 months from now is July...

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fix/Fix villas are pre-reserved and owners must confirm by 10 months out (not 8 months) - 10 months from now is July...
OK then, how about owners at WSJ who want to use SO to go somewhere. The sensible owner books their own use week for the time they want to vacation 12 months out. Now they have a vacation week guaranteed. Then 8m out (or 8m1w for a longer trip) they book a trip with SO and cancel the WSJ week dropping it into inventory.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Ok - the WSJ fix/fix weeks are pre-booked by SVN. At anytime they can cancel that booking prior to 60 days before without restrictions and use SOs - not just at 10 months or 8 months - or whenever.... However, it is not common for WSJ-VG owners to use SOs for exchanging into other resorts via SVN (trade down in most cases) - or using II/RCI (exchange down) - or using SO-SP conversions (incredibly bad conversion - i.e. I would only get 22K SPs for my 81K SO week if I could convert). It happens, but not that common based on conversations with other owners over the years. Most use, or rent, or do not bother going at all and allow to sit vacant (BION) - some fo use SOs (I think Transit or Tomandrobin have done this to get into HRA). Remember that WSJ-VG has some of the highest MFs in all of SVN especially considering their SO value. I get 81K SOs (Gold+) for $2400 - Plat+ owners who get 148.1K SOs for $2400 would not be getting value since rents in Plat+ season are pretty high (~$4K). I am sure it happens, but certainly not enough to warrant huge changes in inventory.

Also - An Owner gives up a full week Fri-Fri, Sat-Sat, Sun-Sun - this does not explain the availability in <7 day increments - or lack of availability on Fri/Sat/Sun check-ins.

However, I know for a fact that the SVO/SVN database sucks (as discussed here for years...) - so I am going with that.... YMMV

Last edited:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK then, how about owners at WSJ who want to use SO to go somewhere. The sensible owner books their own use week for the time they want to vacation 12 months out. Now they have a vacation week guaranteed. Then 8m out (or 8m1w for a longer trip) they book a trip with SO and cancel the WSJ week dropping it into inventory.

Nothing beats dropping a home resort reservation made as a placeholder (or rental opportunity) and using the StarOptions to go elsewhere for more than a week using a non-check in day to start or end the vacation before a week usually starts.

I find a week at WSJ to be too little for the time (and cost) of the travel. I cannot fly from Chicago to St. Thomas without laying over in Miami, Charlotte or San Juan. And, I lose hours by flying so far east. That means leaving at 6:00 am Chicago time and still getting to the WSJ ferry later in the afternoon. Going back to Chicago is a little easier, but using American you have to leave very early in the morning. I feel I am losing almost 2 full days in Paradise with a reservation for only a week.

When it comes to finding availability in the SVO was it difficult or obscure before? Sure! But it's much easier and more open now to research creative reservations using StarOptions. The availability locator can find available reservations for up to 21 straight days. Shrewder people with StarOptions are making better use of their current or banked StarOptions. Obviously, hefleycatz is one of them and is willing to make a reservation more more than a week that begins on a non-check in day.

This winter I will make 2 3-week trips. I will stay at 4 SVO resorts. None of the 4 reservations are for just a week. All are for 9-12 nights. We are not stuck with making reservations for only a week. Salty

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Jarta. From the west coast, we now take a redeye (which I hate) to get to Miami in the early morning and then off to St. Thomas for the ferry ride.

I got an idea, we should move St. John closer to the west coast and add a swim up bar!

Nothing beats dropping a home resort reservation made as a placeholder (or rental opportunity) and using the StarOptions to go elsewhere for more than a week using a non-check in day to start or end the vacation before a week usually starts.

I find a week at WSJ to be too little for the time (and cost) of the travel. I cannot fly from Chicago to St. Thomas without laying over in Miami, Charlotte or San Juan. And, I lose hours by flying so far east. That means leaving at 6:00 am Chicago time and still getting to the WSJ ferry later in the afternoon. Going back to Chicago is a little easier, but using American you have to leave very early in the morning. I feel I am losing almost 2 full days in Paradise with a reservation for only a week.

When it comes to finding availability in the SVO was it difficult or obscure before? Sure! But it's much easier and more open now to research creative reservations using StarOptions. The availability locator can find available reservations for up to 21 straight days. Shrewder people with StarOptions are making better use of their current or banked StarOptions. Obviously, hefleycatz is one of them and is willing to make a reservation more more than a week that begins on a non-check in day.

This winter I will make 2 3-week trips. I will stay at 4 SVO resorts. None of the 4 reservations are for just a week. All are for 9-12 nights. We are not stuck with making reservations for only a week. Salty

islandguy

Reaction score
Options (25,000) for Pool Renovation Patience

Received this email for my stay:

"As previously communicated, the main pool area (including Snorkel’s Bar & Grill) is scheduled to be closed September 23 to December 18, 2013, as enhancements to the pool deck are made. For all Owners with reservations in the Virgin Grand Villas phase during our main pool area refresh, you will have exclusive access to the upper hillside Iguana Pools. Additionally, the resort’s Activities Team is providing a variety of energizing activities for your enjoyment, like sand art and sand castle contests, snorkel scavenger hunts and much more along the shores of Great Cruz Bay.

As a thank you for your patience during these enhancements, you will receive a special gift of 25,000 StarOptions for future use at any Starwood Vacation NetworkSM villa resort". Added by Island Guy: That is 25K per week since I received 2 emails for my 2 week stay.

That is a nice thank you for the difficulty the guest will encounter at WSJ.

Last edited:

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
eBay listings

I follow WSJ activity on ebay, and occassionally I notice these large hits of rental inventory, like today.

wsj multiple ebay by czar44, on Flickr

I'm wondering where these come from? These are being listed by englewoodlighthouseresort

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
UGH. In looking this morning on MSC, the inventory was waaaayyyy down. :bawl: I dont know if I will even be able to get 7 days now when I call Saturday. :(

lee

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
UGH. In looking this morning on MSC, the inventory was waaaayyyy down. :bawl: I dont know if I will even be able to get 7 days now when I call Saturday. :(

lee
Do you have enough points to call on Thursday or Friday and book 9 or 8 days? You can always modify the booking later :)

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want 9 days. No matter where I start the date, I cant see anything for that length. I was seeing availablity for the 28th thru the 6th and later last week. Today I cant see that.

lee

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want 9 days. No matter where I start the date, I cant see anything for that length. I was seeing availablity for the 28th thru the 6th and later last week. Today I cant see that.

lee

So pick up the phone to them starting Wed 9am and keep calling each morning (they have Friday in/out units so Wed>Friday is permitted).

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Post 1453: "Most late May-June periods I checked today are listed as "low availability." Most are for overlapping periods of time. There may only be 1 week of vacancy for each type of "available" unit. Once a reservation is made (only home resort reservations can be made until much later this month), all the availability for the combination of periods may be used up."

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should I go ahead and exchange for a week. I can find from 5/24-5/31., this is earlier than I wanted to go. and I need to call today. School ends on the 23rd. Can I call back each day after and see if something else opens up, for either later date or longer time.

lee

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should I go ahead and exchange for a week. I can find from 5/24-5/31., this is earlier than I wanted to go. and I need to call today. School ends on the 23rd. Can I call back each day after and see if something else opens up, for either later date or longer time.

lee

Call today. Tell the agent exactly what you want. If exactly what you want is not available tell the agent to look for something close. Work with the agent.

Home resort owners can reserve up to 8 months + 1 day. Some of them do that. Until the 8 from check-in period actually starts and the StarOptions reservation period opens up. The situation can change quickly. When you see Friday, Saturday and Sunday check-in reservations for more than a week with "low availability", beware! You may be looking at one week of availability that overlaps 3 reservation periods.

Good luck finding what you want at WSJ. If you needed to call today, you should call in about 5 minutes so that you call at exactly 9 am Eastern time. Salty

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
BOOKED!!!!! :banana::banana::banana: 5/24-5/31 just 7 days, but in the grand scheme of things, thats fine. Maybe I can add a couple and the end 90 days out?

lee

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Jarta. I'm glad I took it yesterday. The rep said it was the last one (?) and I didnt see anything else yesterday or today....

Now to plan...:D

lee

Status
Not open for further replies.