• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
btw - we bring unscented (liquid concentrate) because I dislike the smell of most scented laundry detergents - not because they are difficult to get at the resorts. WSJ has supply storage (covered carts) outside of each building - and easy to check on stuff left/available.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any picture or status requests from the resort?

Heading there this weekend. Will file trip report as always. Any requests? I will for sure get FreeCycle, beach, tennis courts, view from our unit, and any eyesore I see.

Regards,

Rich

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Heading there this weekend. Will file trip report as always. Any requests? I will for sure get FreeCycle, beach, tennis courts, view from our unit, and any eyesore I see.

Regards,

Rich

Eyesores like this...?
http://www.on-stjohn.com/2013/08/06/its-gonna-be-big/
or this...
http://newsofstjohn.com/2013/08/06/recently-fined-denis-bay-property-see-for-yourself/
{I hope the island shuns these idiots}

Have a great trip - focus on the beauty instead... always great to see views, sunsets and Caribbean-blue water.

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes...that tragedy at Denis Bay is just unacceptable. The fines to date have been laughably small.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we decide not to rent a car, would we be able to get away with no car seats for our one, three, and five-year-olds? Wasn't sure what the taxis/shuttles were like.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The "taxis"/shuttles are actually big pickup trucks with covered bench seats on the back. I don't think they have any seat belts to attach a car seat.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The "taxis"/shuttles are actually big pickup trucks with covered bench seats on the back. I don't think they have any seat belts to attach a car seat.

There is no where to put a car seat in a StJ taxi.
If taking a StJ taxi - I would recommend one adult on one side - and another adult on the other - with the 3 children in-between.

Added from VINOW
Are seat belts the law? What about Car Seats for children?
Driver and front passenger must be restrained by a safety belt. Any child under age five must be in a car seat. In the case of a child aged three through five, seat belts can be used but the child must ride in the backseat. Any child older than five but under twelve must wear a safety belt. (This information is a summary and subject to change, confirm current regulations with your rental car agent.)

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Looks like if you pay in the next 7 days, there's a discount :D

Don't expect to get the WSJ-VG tax bills for a while.
I have had credit go towards next bill - but it is never that much. You could go to the Tax assessors office while there and pay. Not sure if it would be worth the few dollars saved.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hey WSJ fans - just wanted to give a visual of the ride over Jacobs Ladder from WSJ -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssX5tgrcu94#at=91

Here is a short YouTube video that starts at in front of WSJ - and goes by StJ Market on right (at 0:55) - so you can see how close it is) - then by gas station (eyesore) under-construction - then over Jacobs Ladder (notice poor hot souls that apparently decided to walk it) - and then to the next gas station about a minute later.
why would they ever build another gas station so close to the existing one???

As you go buy existing gas station (video stops here) - you go around the corner and StarFish is on left - and then importantly - road to car barge is then on left - less than 5 mins from WSJ - then the road continues on to Cruz Bay.

Last edited:

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
on another note - always like to post links to things on StJ that could help people staying there...

need someone to babysit? We don't need this, but I can imagine it could come in quite handy for some.

http://newsofstjohn.com/2013/08/05/new-babysitting-service-launches-on-island/

That is my friend Leslie! I highly recommend her :) She has been my daughter's PT for years and years...love her:p

Now if someone could just tell me how to trade into Westin St. John so we can go visit her, I'd be happy! I can't seem to match this resort to save my life. I'd be trading in with Foxrun week 31 which has always had really high trade power for me.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Now if someone could just tell me how to trade into Westin St. John so we can go visit her, I'd be happy! I can't seem to match this resort to save my life. I'd be trading in with Foxrun week 31 which has always had really high trade power for me.

WSJ very rarely makes it into II. Most owners either use their unit or rent it out. And even if it made it to II, you won't get it past the Starwood priority. (Starwood owners have a priority window where only they can see Starwood deposits.)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
WSJ very rarely makes it into II. Most owners either use their unit or rent it out. And even if it made it to II, you won't get it past the Starwood priority. (Starwood owners have a priority window where only they can see Starwood deposits.)

Also, Owners use SVN to exchange.

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, Owners use SVN to exchange.

We will be in St. John in November. This will be our 5th or 6th visit to the island and we have always traded in using SO.

BTW, they are remodeling the main pool later this year. I wonder if they have a swim up bar planned. The only thing better than a swim up bar is a swim up bar with buckets of voodoo juice.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be in St. John in November. This will be our 5th or 6th visit to the island and we have always traded in using SO.

BTW, they are remodeling the main pool later this year. I wonder if they have a swim up bar planned. The only thing better than a swim up bar is a swim up bar with buckets of voodoo juice.

like.jpeg

Hopefully it will be done by May next year.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I received our tax bills today. I had a credit for early payment from last year, and IMPORTANTLY - our assessment dropped :clap: and are now also the same between the villas. Bill was about $20 less.

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score

What is SO? I have traders in II and RCI, but haven't heard of SO.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is SO? I have traders in II and RCI, but haven't heard of SO.

Staroptions (not starpoints), the currency of starwood internal trading from those who bought developer weeks or a resale mandatory resort.

My 2br platinum SVV gets 81k SO per year. I traded for a winter 3br WSJ which costs 196k. Summer weeks are fewer SO.

You can book with SO at 8 mos or less.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Ferry and BVI Customs Fees Increased

From News of St John:
http://newsofstjohn.com/2013/08/20/ferry-and-bvi-customs-fees-increased/

Well we hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we have two rate increases to tell you about. Fortunately they’re both relatively small.

We reported back in February that the Public Services Commission (PSC) was looking to increase rates after receiving a recommendation to do so from a technical consultant. Well PSC has moved forward with the increase, but it will only affect tourists or “non-residential adults” as they refer to them. Tourists will now have to pay an additional $1 when traveling by passenger ferry between St. John and St. Thomas. Checked bag rates will also increase by $1.50 per bag.

The increase will officially go into effect within 30 days of it being signed off on by the PSC Commissioner. At that time, tourists will start being charged $7 each way for trips between Red Hook and St. John, $13 for trips between Charlotte Amalie and St. John and $4.00 for checked bags.

The British Virgin Islands has also increased its departure tax for visitors who arrive and depart by ferry and charter boat. That tax was raised from $5 per person to $15 for non-residents. (BVI residents were also hit with this increase. Their departure tax was also raised from $5 per person to $10. The BVI is also looking to increase its air departure tax, however that’s still in the discussion phase.)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Seasonal resturant closings

From News of StJ:
http://newsofstjohn.com/2013/08/21/its-that-time-again-seasonal-closings-list/

Staying Open:
•Zero Sushi
•da Livio’s (Closed Tuesdays)
•Deli Grotto
•Beach Bar
•High Tide
•i Scream!
•Sam and Jack’s Deli
•Tap Room
•Uncle Joe’s BBQ
•Woody’s
•Across the Street Bar
•Sun Dog Cafe (Wednesday Night Jam on hiatus until mid-October)

Closing:
•The Fish Trap: Closing August 24; Reopening October 4
•Banana Deck: Closing September 1; Reopening October 15
•The Terrace: Closing September 23; Reopening October 15 (Approximately)
•Lime Inn: Closing August 24; Outdoor bar reopens September 23; Restaurant reopens November 11
•Motu Bar: Closing this week; Reopening mid-October
•Ocean Grill: Closing after Labor Day; Reopening September 25
•Waterfront Bistro: Closing September 1; Reopening October 3
•Zozo’s Ristorante: Closed now; Reopening November 1 in its new location at Caneel
•Baked in the Sun: Closing September 14; Reopening September 25
•Fatty Crab: Closed on Tuesdays only through October 31
•Margarita Phil’s: Closing August 31; Reopening either October 7 or October 14 (They’re still deciding on that.)
•Ronnie’s Pizza: Closed now; Reopening September 2
•Tamarind Inn: Closing for dinner only on September 21; Reopening for dinner on October 5 (Breakfast will continue to be served during this time)
•Aqua Bistro: Closing September 4: Reopening September 9; Will have limited hours of noon through 7 p.m. through October 1; They will also be closed on Sundays from September 9 through October 1.
•Vie’s Snack Shack: Closing September 1; Reopening in late October or early November
•Shipwreck Landing: Closing August 31; Reopening November 4
•Skinny Legs: Closing September 1; Reopening September 29; They will, however, be open on Sundays throughout September for football. There will be a limited menu. Skinny Legs will open at 1 p.m. on those Sundays and will be open until the end of the second football game.
•Sweet Plantains: Closed now; Reopening in December
•Tourist Trap: Closed now; Reopening on September 17
•Cafe Concordia: Closed for the month of September
•Chateau Bordeaux: Dinner is closed through October 1; Lunch is still being served
•T’ree Lizards: Closing September 1; Reopening November 4
•Cafe Roma: Closed due to the April fire; Reopening in November

Still Not Sure:
•Sogo’s: Undecided; Will depend on weather
•Cases By the Sea
•Quiet Mon Pub

Closed Indefinitely:
•Donkey Diner: Closed and listed for sale
•Cruz Bay Prime: Closed with no current plans of reopening
•JJ’s Texas Coast: Closed and sold to new owners; New restaurant opening in October
•La Plancha del Mar: Closed and sold to new owners; New restaurant opening this fall
•Sugar Mill at Caneel: Closed; Zozo’s moving into the space this fall

***There are a few restaurants that we were unable to confirm as of yet. Please check back as the list is evolving.***

Status
Not open for further replies.